A refined, long lasting blend of Golden and dark Virginias, lightly pressed, cut and rubbed out. A soft, smooth mixture.

BrandEsoterica Tobacciana
2.6
Magoo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magoo (1)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First off, I am partial to Virginia leaf. My S.Gawith FVF stash is down to the last pound and can't seem to find anymore so I went shopping. I'm glad I did.

I heartily agree with mgdurand. It's time to revisit/discover this blend.The pouch note took me by surprise!!what is that? ...peppermint? over the sweet grassy virginia? No, I think not. Just the natural scent of the cured leaf.

This can BITE if you rush it so stay low and slow. The nic hit is sublime and I find the flavor much more interesting than FVF.It's a brighter cleaner smoke.

I have enjoyed two small bowls in the last 4-5 hours and my tongue feels a bit numb but not burnt. May be time for another..

mgdurand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mgdurand (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm amazed that no one has reviewed this blend for 9 years. I first tried it in 1998 or so, and still have some squirreled away from that time. In fact, I devoted a pipe to this blend, an Ashton, which smokes perfectly.

Is this to say that it is the best thing in VA's? No, but it's pretty good. I find it's best smoked slowly while drawing some air into your mouth with the smoke, that gives the best flavor and brings out a lot of spicy complexities.

The 1998 is a coarser cut than the new stuff (my new batch is from like 2003 when I was buying up a bunch of tobacco) and does taste different. I'm not sure if it's an aging thing or they changed something, but the older one is better.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Of the three pure Virginias I have tried from Esoterica, this is perhaps the most flavorful and interesting. While not as dark and full as Dark Star or similar flakes, it is nevertheless not a weak or extremely subtle smoke. And while I don't find this style of tobacco to be outstanding, it is still a good early or middle-of-the-day smoke for me. The aroma in the sample bag is somewhat mild, a nice average Virginia smell with a good deal of sweetness. The tobacco is mostly medium brown, with a small number of very dark and very light pieces mixed in. The cut is medium to long, and the moisture level is fairly low. It packs with a bit of difficulty, at least in a narrow pipe bowl, and lights easily. It burns well, requiring an average number of relights during a bowl. In the first third, the flavor is sweet and medium, with a hint of spice. There is some fullness and body to this, though it is by no means a heavy blend. I find it more flavorful and darker than Peacehaven and Cardiff, the other two Esoterica Virginias I have tried. There is some minor bite, but this is easily avoided with slow puffing. In the second third of the bowl, the flavor has darkened and matured somewhat. The spice note is still present, but the sweetness has faded a bit. The smoke isn't exactly smooth, but it isn't overly biting either. The taste is good, well mixed and somewhat complex. In the last third, the flavor continues to darken slightly. This part is especially good using DGT; it really brings out the subtle flavors. There is little sweetness at this point, and the spice note is not overly obvious. There has been no moisture through the entire pipe, and the bowl smokes clean and dry down to the ashes. Overall, this is a nice mild to medium Virginia tobacco. There's nothing really spectacular to this one, but nothing bad about it either. It is a good, lighter Virginia with nice flavor and decent complexity. I recommend it to any Virginia smoker, and I will likely be buying a tin when my sample runs out.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mostly light brown ribbon with a few flecks of gold. A hay aroma in the bag. The ribbons were very narrow for the most part but I also got some hints of broken flake. No problem to rub those out - I just thought it was interesting.

I found this blend rather thin tasting overall. The flavor was most certainly of Virginia with an emphasis on the sweeter lemon variety but also hints of a darker VA. But it lacked a spine, almost as if it was cured either too long or not long enough. Picture how overcooked noodles taste, as this was the impression I got - kind of limp and bland with a thin texture to the taste. If the Deacon's Downfall I just reviewed is a stew, this one is a bouillon cube... a chicken soup with no body and no chicken. Very disappointing. Everyone is different but my recommendation is that if you enjoy FVF, BBF, the various McClelland Virginias and things of that nature, you'll find this one wanting. If you're trying to replicate the magic of Stonehaven with another Esoterica blend, this ain't it. Not really sweet enough to recommend to Virginia newbies, either. I guess I'm not sure what the market is for this but others like it, so I'll happily forego buying up anymore of this hard to find blend. 1.5 stars rounded to 2, but mostly out of charity.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Extremely dry as received and this is evident in a hot smoke that dessicates your mouth. Although the tobacco taste is OK, this is another flamethrower from Esoterica.