A notably smooth blend of six Virginia tobaccos, light in color, soft and satisfying.

BrandEsoterica Tobacciana
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.9

Not a complex blend - though you might think so considering the different Virginias involved in the blend - but it does have a fine, smoothing taste to it. I agree with the earlier reviewer who prefers Dorchester, but my feeling is that if you want a little perique in your smoke, that buy that instead of adding it to this smoke. Nice, bright and a little lemony, it ages well. Not too much subtlety here, but it's a well made, even burning, cool smoking, pleasant all day smoke. For the gentle Virginia smoker, it's a nice experience. If you need more than that, you have to go elsewhere. If you don't need more than that, this will satisfy.

Nice light Virginia. Actually, there is a little nicotine and body here that rears up from time to time, but never too strongly. Certainly not complex, but as I smoke the remnants, I am getting a bit more. This may be in part due to my having smoked about five bowls of aged McClellands in this pipe (a Savinelli Capri) last night, which is one reason I wanted a less acrid Virginia for tonight's first pipe. My first bowls of this a couple weeks ago seemed really basic, as in a Virginia version of a go-to codger burley like PA; easy to light and maintain, a bit cigaretty, no-frills, but I found more to this blend with this pipe, and decided it was time to review. Of Esoterica's Virginias, I have had Dorchester and Dunbar, and liked them both. I may like them more than this one, but really need to smoke some of it after a few months in the mason jar, at which time I will add to this review. Right now, a simple, slightly sweet Virginia with no off tastes that is perfect after smoking more heady Virginias. There is a very slight topping, maybe anise and some kind of fruit, but it is hard to tell. The topping is more evident in the bag aroma, but starts to fade pretty soon after I transfer a pipeful to my wooden drying bowl. If you want a nice light to medium-light Virginia in a cut that is easy to work with, pack, and smoke, and that while it may not provide a flavor explosion, still has a nice (if narrow) range, this is a good one to try. I kind of miss Dorchester's Perique, but I have some blending Perique I could add to this if I want, so no problem! I think to say much more than this, or to discover any more levels to this smoke than the sort of thing I just described, will require some aging. See you in six months!

Edit 2/26/13: really coming along in the jar. Very nice. To clarify, I would seldom add Perique to this, but it is a possibility, seeing that my tin of Dorchester is sealed right now, and I don't want to open it.

Actually, I was wrong. I do have some Dorchester opened and in a jelly jar. It's a nice one too! Though I said I prefer it to Brighton, this is only incremental, and these are both excellent blends, with different merits. Can't find the sealed tin: that must be it in the jelly jar! May have to get a bag when I feel I can afford it.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is visually identical to Esoterica Scarborough, which I recently smoked and didn't think much of. It arrives just slightly moist, aka perfect smoking level. In the baggie, there is a noticeable topping, though I wouldn't even try to parse the elements.

At the match, I am struck by two contradictory observations: there is less bite than with Scarborough (indicating more matured Virginia) and less musty character (indicating less matured Virginia). Obviously I have to lose my preconceptions, as this is nothing like Scarborough, and that is for the good.

There is a clear sweetness, primarily in the top range but gliding into the mid-range, that is similar to Esoterica's Cardiff. This is very attractive, and can be magnified by air-smoking. That sneaky Esoterica nicotine somehow hides behind this thin veil, and it irritates my nose, prompting me to exhale somewhat more vigorously than usual.

At the half-bowl mark, the sweetness has settled down into a shortbread style. Very little in the way of bite or snap her, and the strength varies from medium-light (when at a smoulder) to medium-full (when fully stoked); but, again, the flavor remains medium to medium-light. I'm not picking up any of the topping. The mid-range exhibits a milk chocolate smoothness and sweetness, and some toasted marshmallow. There isn't much in the way of bass range, and for some that could be a drawback. For me, it doesn't really detract.

The cheesy, musty Esoterica matured leaf flavors really aren't a factor in Brighton. I would buy this again, but I think Cardiff gets the slight edge for me. I'm thinking four ounces would be a good amount, split into 2 small mason jars, because I think this would age nicely.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Mostly light and medium red tones, medium width ribbon

Aroma: Mild to medium matured Virginia aroma. .

Packing: Packs well into any size bowl from group 3 through 5.

Lighting: Lighting is quite ordinary. Not too slow to burn, nor too quick to catch.

Initial flavor: Well rounded Virginia flavor of moderate strength. Good sweetness from the Red leaf, balanced by the tangier Lemon colored leaf.

Mid-bowl: This is a simple blend, which has complex layers of flavors. The blending of sweet and and tangy keeps the blend from being monochromatic. The blend is gentle on the palate, with a good range of middle notes, some high and only a few low, but no extremes. A cool smoke,if puffed slowly, but stays lit rather well.

Finish: Finishes smoothly, leaves a fine gray ash. Tastes good right to the end.

Summary: A superb blend for the fancier of milder Virginias. Could be an all day smoke for the gentle puffer, but it really needs a relaxed moment to savor the nuances.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I really kinda like Brighton. It will rarely be called "complex", but what it offers is an easygoing and pleasant experience. I buy this in Esoterica's 12-ounce bags, which nicely fills two Quart -sized Mason jars.

Somewhere I read that Esoterica claims that there are a half-dozen types of VA leaves in Brighton; if that's true, they seem to be well disguised to me. I've bought bags that were a medium-brown color, and my last bag - like my first ones - seemed to be predominantly lemon-colored flakes. As this ages, of course, it will darken, and the blend marries very nicely. It's almost perfectly moist, and ages very well. A minimum of a year of aging will make this a far more enjoyable blend for most.

The ribbons pack well, it takes a fine charring light, and requires little or no maintenance. If you're looking for an all-VA blend that yields just about no tongue bite, this could be it. I find it crisp and clean, much like Orlick's Golden Slice, but I personally can't be bothered with drying and rubbing out slices. It's just a simple and tasty blend.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

12-03-2004 And now, for something totally different!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Light Va ribbon, beatiful leaf colors! I detect a light licorice casing.

Packing and Lighting: Easy, just a few long ribbons giving a fuss. Lit easily, two lights.

Initial Flavor: Lightly cased Va, smoothness of the Va immediately noticable.

Mid-Bowl: I really like this blend! The leaf flavor is slightly oatish, but smooth. the casing is delicately there.

Bottom of Bowl: Slight build up of strength, casing never gets bitter or overpowering.

Overall: This is a mild VA blend that has been delicately cased in the Lakeland District style. Because of its uniqueness, I will continue to puff this blend in my VA rotation. Tongue-bite is pretty much impossible with this delicate mixture and even though it is not as rich as many other VA's that I have tried, the flavor, keeps me coming back. Give it a try.

Rating: 4 out of 5 points

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Moving on to the nest tobacco in my sampler pack, here we have an interesting Virginia blend. This reminds me of cut, dry grass; the color is nearly identical, and it even smells a little "grassy"! My sample seems to be flakes that have been almost totally rubbed out. The smell in the bag is, as noted, very mild, almost grassy, without the sweetness I usually sense in Virginia tobaccos. It is lighter in color, light and medium browns making up the mostly rubbed-out flake. The cut is fairly long, making packing a little tricky, and it is on the dry side. It lights easily and burns well, needing a below-average number of relights; actually, it burns a lot like grass, too. I chose a Stanwell bent bulldog for the first bowl of this tobacco. For the first 1/3, I'm getting a very light, airy smoke. There is no strong flavor, but I am noticing a very subtle sweetness and a bit of a "bright" Virginia taste. The smoke is very light and refreshing, not at all heavy or dark as with some matured Virginias. Moving on to the second third, and the flavor now is very similar to the first part of the bowl. I'm noticing that the light smoke is somewhat astringent in the mouth, like a strong tea; this is not unpleasant overall, but I find myself drinking more often than normal while smoking. The taste has changed somewhat, becoming a bit darker and more mature, but it is still fairly airy. There is a hint of tongue bite if I don't take care in puffing. Forward with the final third of this bowl, and nothing much has changed. The flavor is perhaps a touch darker and fuller than at the start, but it remains very light. Aside from a subtle sweetness and a touch of spiciness, there really isn't much to this tobacco. Maybe I'm spoiled by Latakia, but I keep asking myself, where's the rest? Is that all? It reminds me of those "Where's the beef?" fast food commercials. It does burn dry, right to the bottom, and the tongue bite is fairly mild. Overall, I find that there's nothing much to this one. It is refreshing, in a very mild sort of way, and it's about as far from a full English blend as it is possible to get. The room odor is also mild, almost like cigarette smoke (without the foul "after" smell), and is does burn very well. But I believe I would get about as much satisfaction and flavor from dried grass clippings. If you enjoy REALLY light, subtle Virginias, you may want to try this. Myself, I'll stick with Dark Star and VA #24 when I'm in the mood for a Virginia tobacco; they at least have some body, even if I do have to fight the tongue bite. UPDATE: This tobacco does have a bit more body and taste when smoked in a deep bowl; I would recommend doing so to maximize the flavor. It is still, however, no where near as full as I usually prefer.

Manolo_mp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Manolo_mp (1)

not a very experienced smoker. This was one of my first purchases and being the inexperienced smoker that i am i initially didnt like it. after a few months of smoking under my belt i decided to give it another try. Man was i glad i did. i love it as a good afternoon summer smoke paired with a citrusy beer such as Blue Moon or shock top. pairs perfectly! I prefer the spicier english blends but this one ill make an exception. great mid-day relaxing smoke.

Pipe Used: variety of briars