Golden Virginias and Rich Burleys sweetened with tropical fruit.

Notes: A tropical paradise awaits you, no matter which South Sea vacation you decide to choose. This much is constant, cool breezes, balmy weather, churning surf, the salt spray of ocean air, and of course, sandy beaches. Allow yourself the luxury of briefly escaping to paradise with this delicious mixture of Virginia and Rich Burley, sweetened with tropical fruit.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
FlavoringCocco, Mango, Pineapple
Packaging1.5 oz tin

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

3.1

The tin note is a slightly heavy, slightly sour fruit - a little alcohol maybe. The tobacco is mostly a medium long ribbon with a few chunks. It is a little damper than I might prefer, but I smoked it as it came out of the tin.

I expected a heavy aromatic and what I got was a burley forward VaBur with a mild/med fruit topping. I do not have a palate sophisticated enought to pick up anyhting specific like mango. For me, the fruit flavor mostly burned off in the first half of the bowl.

I liked this more than I expected to from the description. Some of the other reviews are tepid, but I thought it was good.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The mango topping tends to dominate the other flavors a little. As with some of the other Private Stock aromatics, the Virginia is the core component that keeps this a cool smoking blend. The burley is lightly sweet with a very slight nutty note, and is mostly responsible for what "oomph" is present here. South Seas has a mild to a medium strength taste, and works well as a dessert smoke, or a pleasant day smoke as you go about your business.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Sutliff Private Stock South Seas

Burley and Virginian Tobaccos

Tin Notes: Good Cut and Color of tobacco leaves Good Moisture Content Nice Fruity Smell

Smoking: This is a Good Aromatic tobacco blend. The Tobacco is easy to maintain and burns good. This blend is similar to some of the other offerings from Sutliff.

If you like a tobacco that is flavored or topped with Fruity Flavors then you will like this blend too. It does make for a nice after dinner smoke.

Room Note is Wonderful

My 5 Star Rating = 2 or 3 for me and 3.5 for someone who likes flavored tobaccos

Pipe Used: Briar, Pipestone

Purchased From: sutliff

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (118)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Top (fruit) flavor is found throughout the bowl as you smoke it through. in the first half, the base tobaccos oftentimes get lost and muddled in this flavor. In the second half, the added flavor backs off a bit, and the underlying tobacco, especially the Burley, comes forward. Easily managed in the bowl. 3-.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: CI

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Man , this is a super wonderful aromatic ! It's my second favorite Aromatic in their line . I dont have the words to describe the flavor so much but to my tastes it's kinda like somewhat fruit with some kind of honey spice and tobacco .. stellar roomnote and it burns clean . I'm surprised theres not way more reviews for this blend

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I thought this would be very sweet, but the burley covers up most of the fruit taste. It is an interesting blend that should appeal to both aromatic smokers and fans of more traditional blends. Personally the burley is a little too strong giving me a slight case of tongue bite but still a good smoke.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

the secondhand pipe guy on ebay sent me a tin with a really cool pipe. I have to say not bad. The Burley is up front the aroma is a coconut and pineapple. sort of like an old Middleton Blend I cant remember. Burley give it a little umph for the money. Mixed reviews on aroma. definetly Tropical but the is a real good Pipe tobacco toasty aroma. Pleasant Med aromatic blend.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was introduced to this via a sample sent to me with a pipe purchased on eBay. Ordinarily, I shy away from anything with the word 'tropical' in the name, but I was very pleasantly surprised by this blend. This is one of those rare aromatics that actually tastes like it smells, and it smells wonderful. I finished my sample in short order and went in search of more. Unfortunately, it is only available in 1.5 ounce tins, so I grabbed a couple along with a few ounces of Altadis Bulk Tropic Cavendish #13 to compare. I'll report the results of the comparison when I review the latter. Smoke this slowly in a shallow bowl and you won't be disappointed. It burns well, but be forewarned: it will leave behind some goop.