Golden and orange Virginias, Burley and black Cavendish make up this captivating blend that is both elegant and full of finesse, sure to please the connoisseur's palate. A sensual, deep and simply wonderful scent of cinnamon and candied fruit evokes memories of the holiday season relaxing by the fireside on a cold winter's day!

BrandPeterson
FlavoringCinnamon, Fruit / Citrus
PackagingHoliday Tin Special Ediation
CountryIE
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
3.4
Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I love the smell of this, fruity but a little savoury. It really does smell 'xmassy'. I found it quite sweet, very aromatic, not a whole lot of tobacco taste here, but my god it smells good. Nic levels are decent enough to satisfy, it will ghost up your pipe if you smoke lots. I won't buy more, but I'm glad I tried it.

If you like aro's give it a go while it's available.

Three_Pipe_Problem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Three_Pipe_Problem (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoke this on a regular basis (trying to finish the tin), and I quite enjoy it. Truly, it is a bit of a less-tobacco-more-flavoring taste, but quite pleasant to smell in the room. I gave a bit to my friend, and he also enjoyed it. It smells delicious coming out of the tin, and, if packed correctly, burns quite well. Mind the bite, as it can pop up rather suddenly.

Note: I did wind up with a black tongue for 3 days after smoking a Bulldog full of this, but it was quite worth it.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)

a fruity aromatic in a positive way - everybody loves it, even at home. Easy to smoke although there is a massive ghost in your pipe after the first bowl. So be sure not to fill one of your beloved virginia pipes. although i don´t smoke aromatics regularily for christmas there is always a box or two for the family events. the only thing that makes me angry is the packaging - the thin is lovely but no box to put your tobacco in to keep it fresh.The plastic foil is not the best way to keep it fresh either. So you have to smoke it more often okay, that´s a good marketing gag on the other hand. The packaging is a big minus in my book.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Lovely aromatic with kind of a fruity flavor, however slightly chemical taste so only 3 stars for me. Unrelated to taste the tin is quite bad for me, i dont smoke much and it dries out so had to put in a mason jar.

twokidslater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twokidslater (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

As an experienced aromatic smoker, I feel I need to add my 2 cents worth here. This is a worth while smoke. Most of the positive comments mentioned in this review are true, but need additional info such as... it burns HOT. Be sure your pipe has a good cake to handle the heat and smoke it slow, like a pro. Keep in mind that it is a Christmas blend, so it is a full flavored aromatic. I have enjoyed this blend even though it is similar to many others. I'd say to all, "Try it, you just might like it."

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (50)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

UPDATE After trying out some other aromatics, sparked by suggestions of a recent friend that just got into pipe smoking... I have found that this is one of the best and find that I enjoy it above other aros. This and MomoYama (I consider it an aromatic) are my favorites.

Very good aromatic!! Out of the tin you can smell the fruit. Wonderful smell. Burns well, not too hot and smells and tastes wonderful. Excellent holiday blend!

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (46)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Another great limited edition Holiday blend from Peterson. The wonderful smell of candied fruits and cinnamon greet you as soon as you unhinge the tin. Nothing short of heavenly. Many have noted it smells so good in the tin it almost tempts you to eat it. This blend packs well and takes a light wonderfully. It burns nice and even to a white ash. The flavourings come through at just the right pace and the Mrs. loved the room note. If you're in search of a good Christmas/winter blend pick this up, but hurry it's starting to sell out.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well the In-Laws (erstwhile smokers) have gone and it's time to get the pipe out.

So, RH orders some 'Holiday Mixture' despite my reservations about Peterson's record of tastlessness.

Ironically the sweet scent from this tobacco comes through in the smoke. Unfortunately, this is so damn sweet and sickly. I normally DO sweet, but this is revolting.

There is no tobacco taste in here at all and I am extremely surprised it is getting such a high rating in here.

It is very similar to McLintock's Creme de Cassis. Actually it is so similar to said blend I had to double check that this really was a Peterson's sample.

I couldn't even manage to finish the bowl it was so awful.

Two pipes will have to be thoroughly cleaned out this Boxing Day....

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Just opened a tin and was awash in the gentle flavors and fragrances. Loaded a bowl and am now heartily enjoying this experience. The fruits, tastes and aroma are inviting to both me and my company. Evoking thoughts and memories of Christmas Past, I should be sitting in front of a 18th century fireplace roaring and crackling holding court over numerous kids and grandkids. Pleasing and gentle to those around, the aroma is fruity fresh and enhances not overwhelms. If I can find enough of this I could easily make this an everyday. I think I will just enjoy this tin and wait for next year eagerly.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This smelled wonderful in the tin, once lit it did indeed taste somewhat like it smelled. My complaint is that I tasted no tobacco flavor at all, this might be the point for some but not for me. I was hoping for all of the fruitiness with a backbone, I have blended the rest of the tin with some VA. and this will hopefully bring the blend I had hoped for. Also, my wife said this was one of the best smelling tobaccos I have ever smoked.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Yep, as aro's go another winner from Peterson's.

As with my review of their 2011 Special Reserve (Chess board tin), they are almost identical, other than there is less of a strawberry scent to this and more of a mild tropical fruit overtone with a soft hint of cinnamon or some other festive spice.

Again a lovely festive looking container, but you'll have the same problems storing this long term with its original packaging as with Special Reserve 2011. The tins just aint' air tight and you may get two or three weeks before it starts to dry out.

Lovely aromatic though . . .

FT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FT (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I love this Blend - when the tin is opened it's like all the good things in life jumping about - the smell is wonderfull - the room not is Very Nice - it smokes well - not hot - no Bite - if I had anything to say about it that I am not keen on - is that when at the bottom of the bowl - it can taste a little on the violte side - but that could just be me getting every last bit out of a bowl - Wonderful Stuff....I have two new pipes set aside for christmas so that I can enjoy this blend...

Shamie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shamie (3)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

Alls well with this tobacco. Really good with a scooner of vodka. Love this stuff.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very lovely blend. I bought mine from my local tobaccanist, Milan's, on recommendation. I was hesitant because Peterson tinned blends tend to bite me no matter how slow I puff. But I loaded up my pipe and tried it. The blend is rather pleasent and tasty. It does take a little time to light up right out of the tin but the smoke is worth the expended matches, and there is certainly a lot of it. The room note is the best of everything that I've smoked bar one. The flavor is consistant through to the end of the bowl. I'd even be tempted to smoke the dottle. And the typical Peterson bite is very, very minimal. All in all an excellent smoke that I'd get again.

yankee piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee piper (2)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Very sweet smell out of the tin. A little hard to keep lit at first, but once it gets going it stays OK. Had to relight once or twice. Billowy smoke. Delicious. Very nice room note. Highly recommended.

ThePipescott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePipescott (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Peterson's Christmas Blend 2011 is something special.

The tin aroma is exquisite.

Packing lighting and smoking is an enjoyable experience. The flavor is rich and wonderful. The smoke is very thick and there is no question, you can taste the candied fruit. Towards the bottom of the bowl the spiciness of the cinnamon starts to kick in over the pleasantly sweet flavor.

This is very enjoyable and I received many compliments about how wonderful this tobacco smelled.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Think of this as "Blue Note" only better. This is one of the few tobaccos I've found that actually tastes like it smells in the tin. The room note is great. I detected no bite, though given the wonderful flavors I puffed this one like a madman.

I had one bowl this morning on what I thought would be my only tin, and I promptly ordered two more to cellar. I smoke burley blends for the most part, but this aromatic has won my allegiance.

UPDATE:

Now that I have a tin of Sillem's Black on hand, I must say there's a strong resemblance between these two. The spiced apple note is common, while the Peterson obviously is missing the Latakia.