A blend for those who miss Lane Limited's version of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed

Taste

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (27)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I decided to try the 'grandpa classics' of the pipe tobacco world. Stuff like Prince Albert, Half and Half, and Edgeworth among others. To my dismay the original Edgeworth line had been discontinued but I heard there was an almost exact match by Sutliff, so I went online and got myself some.

I will be getting more.

This stuff is a little strange but darned good! It smells like chocolate out of the bag and made my mouth water. The cube cut is something that I had never seen before and didn't quite know what to do with, but I loaded my pipe as is and was surprised at just how well the little chunks burned. It isn't overpowering or complicated in taste, being just a chocolate sweetness with some walnut. No bite, no fuss, really tasty flavors. Now I want another bowl!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

I was recently gifted about a half oz of the original ERR, and now I am smoking my way through about an oz of the Sutliff match. This match is very close. The original may have a slightly more pronounced bass note, but I would be challenged to tell which was which if smoking from two unmarked baggies. As a match this is a 4 star review.

The smoke is a burley forward mild Vabur with a slight mellow sweet note that is hard to identify. It is molasses perhaps. It is good but not very exciting. It presents as the OTC you wish you could buy in pouches at the grocery store and filling station. The flavor is consistent for me, and it had good light/burn characteristics.

It has smoked cool and dry for me in a variety of pipes, and I suspect it would benefit from a dedicated pipe with no ghosts to intrude on the mild flavor.

As a blend this is a 3 star smoke. If you enjoy this type of blend, get some now, and you will not be disappointed. If you need a flavor bomb to satisfy you, look elsewhere.

It packs well, stays lit, and is a very cool, consistent smoke all the way to the bottom - no bite or moisture. Nutty with a molasses flavor and a little cocoa. I can see this being a decent starter burley for someone who has never tried the genre, and I can certainly see it being a regular rotation blend. A really good work and all day play smoke that may not be complex, but will satisfy your wants for OTC burleys.

This Match is very close to the original. I spent a weekend comparing the two versions. The original seemed a little fuller, deeper in the molasses taste, and that's the only difference I can tell. The cut and look of the tobacco is the very same. The more I smoke it, the better I like it. In a blind taste test, it would be very hard to tell which was which.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a four start blend for me not because of what is was but what it is now. Milder blends and some aro's are looked down upon by some as not having huge Wagnerian flavor profiles that define the milestone BIG blends. I will offer that we are burning stuff in a small chamber and huffing that smoke directly into our faces. While I make this a hobby it never ceases to amaze me. I suggest to the reader that defining each level of appreciation is art and science and finding balance is key. Maybe in my next life I'll smoke the labels off of CatsPaw ropes and plugs but for now I can enjoy this tasty blend all day long and never for a moment fake my enjoyment of it.

Pipe Used: all

Age When Smoked: just getting started

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Uhle's Perfection Plug, Uhle's 00.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

No nonsense easy to pack. Burns effortlessly and cleanly leaving white ash. Classic burley nuttiness in abundance that really remains consistent the whole smoke. Not complex and on the mild side. As good, if not better than SWR. Great in cob or briar. Not to be missed by Burley lovers.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Edgeworth RR Match … Back when the original was popular, I never remember trying ERR, or for that matter never even seeing it for sale in my area, so the best I can do here is talk about what I found in smoking the new match product.

While browsing the P&C.com tobacco listings, I found several match blends that I could not resist trying, one being for Union Leader and the other this one. I must say I'm not disappointed with either one.

The tin/bag aroma is pleasant Tobacco/cocoa mix. Comes as easy to manage smaller cube cut of a mostly dark brown color. Now having smoked at the very least 4oz of this stuff, I come to see this blend as a mild and very worthwhile smoke, best enjoyed when I have some time to sip and taste, not because a more rapid puffing rate produces bite, but the flavor wants to drop-off as the heat increases, thusly missing all the varied flavors the blend has to offer. I did find some cocoa taste in the smoke, bite was no issue and a good burn was had without much fuss. But IMO I found this tobacco a bit low on it's "nic" level.

Based on a sample received from a friend, perhaps 3/4 - 1 oz. Another ERR'd match blend - how boring. It's been done to death, and never correctly.

But I smoked a bowl of this and was so intrigued that I trudged down to the cellar (yep - my cellar is in the cellar!) and grabbed a small jar of the real deal for comparison. The look was a bit different - the ERR'd was darker and the plugs were smaller. But the aroma was the similar cocoa and nut. The darker color could have been age, as my ERR'd is all at least 7-10 years old.

Is this the same as ERR'd? Well, blindfolded I'd have a great deal of trouble distinguishing them. This had the old familiar flavor of nutty burley with the slight cocoa finish that made it slightly sweet. It didn't bite the tongue and was consistent in flavor throughout the bowl. Almost zero complexity, but that great flavor to the end. No ashy taste or harshness, unless overpuffed. This is close enough to ERR'd that any differences are largely irrelevant to me. I smoked a bowl of ERR'd right after I finished this and noticed no glaring differences, while being uncertain about different nuances. May have been some present or it may have been in my noodle.

Four stars for an Altadis blend - is the sky falling? :) But if this sample is any indication, they nailed this match blend where so many others have failed. Four resounding stars!

grower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grower (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

small cubes and a few crushed plugs. smells lightly of cocoa in the bag. very easy to pack and simple to light. burns cool even when puffed quickly. first puffs tastes a little like sir walter raleigh but the the mild topping burns off fast. one third of the way into the bowl you are rewarded with the taste of light molasses and plain old burley goodness that stay with you until the end. i did not pick up on the anise that some users stated. i do recommend this but i am not sure if i would buy a large quantity of this or a big ol' tub of sir walter raleigh. it would depend on which one was cheaper.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I first encountered this blend about three years ago. Lil Brown was selling it under the Consolidated label as Ready Rub Edgeworth.

I received a package today wondering if it was different from the Consolidated version.

There are two problems with this blend: it does not really taste like the ERR of old; it does not taste of anything very much.

I am going to keep it for a couple of years, let it dry out (it is sticky fresh out of the bag) and try it again. But for now, there are better blends.

Update Tried this blend out in one of my old Rocky Briars, and something clicked. Though not exactly like the famed Edgeworth of yore, this match blend turns out to be excellent in its way. Update to three stars.

If I smoked Edgeworth back in the day, I don't remember it. In general, though, I agree with SopwithCamel's review -- basically a decent generic burley mixture, with hints of cocao upfront and a little anise towards the bottom. Burns a little on the hot/fast side for me, hence two instead of three stars, but no bite.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered four ounces of this from Cup o Joe's, to see if it was in fact like Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

When it showed up, it looked like crushed plug, much like ERR and Sir Walter Raleigh.

It had the faint smell of cocoa, just as I recalled.

Upon lighting it is very similar to Edgeworth RR. It simmers well in the pipe, and I find it to be a pleasant and enjoyable experience. As Briar Rabbit pointed out in his review of Edgeworth, it does taste a bit like spicey pecans. The cocoa undertone is present throughout, and I found it highly enjoyable

Towards the end of the bowl some liquorice flavor peeks in, and there is a gentle molasses sweetness that pervades my taste during the whole bowl.

Up close, the room note is pleasant, but after leaving the room and returning, it is a more neutral pipe tobacco smell.

Puffed slowly and gently, it is a pleasant and inexpensive companion. It is excellent with a cup of black coffee.

If you miss ERR, drop six bucks and see if this makes you happy. It is certainly worth a try. Having smoked it a while, I have become very fond of it. My next order will be for a pound.