4noggins.com

FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Molasses
Where to Buy 4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

It packs well, stays lit, and is a very cool, consistent smoke all the way to the bottom - no bite or moisture. Nutty with a molasses flavor and a little cocoa. I can see this being a decent starter burley for someone who has never tried the genre, and I can certainly see it being a regular rotation blend. The Virginia is slightly sweet and grassy, but it stays in the back ground. A really good work and all day play smoke that may not be complex, but will satisfy your wants for OTC burleys.

This Match is very close to the original. I spent a weekend comparing the two versions. The original seemed a little fuller, deeper in the molasses taste, and that's the only difference I can tell. The cut and look of the tobacco is the very same. The more I smoke it, the better I like it. In a blind taste test, it would be very hard to tell which was which.

I gave four stars to the original.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (53)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I decided to try the 'grandpa classics' of the pipe tobacco world. Stuff like Prince Albert, Half and Half, and Edgeworth among others. To my dismay the original Edgeworth line had been discontinued but I heard there was an almost exact match by Sutliff, so I went online and got myself some.

I will be getting more.

This stuff is a little strange but darned good! It smells like chocolate out of the bag and made my mouth water. The cube cut is something that I had never seen before and didn't quite know what to do with, but I loaded my pipe as is and was surprised at just how well the little chunks burned. It isn't overpowering or complicated in taste, being just a chocolate sweetness with some walnut. No bite, no fuss, really tasty flavors. Now I want another bowl!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

I was recently gifted about a half oz of the original ERR, and now I am smoking my way through about an oz of the Sutliff match. This match is very close. The original may have a slightly more pronounced bass note, but I would be challenged to tell which was which if smoking from two unmarked baggies. As a match this is a 4 star review.

The smoke is a burley forward mild Vabur with a slight mellow sweet note that is hard to identify. It is molasses perhaps. It is good but not very exciting. It presents as the OTC you wish you could buy in pouches at the grocery store and filling station. The flavor is consistent for me, and it had good light/burn characteristics.

It has smoked cool and dry for me in a variety of pipes, and I suspect it would benefit from a dedicated pipe with no ghosts to intrude on the mild flavor.

As a blend this is a 3 star smoke. If you enjoy this type of blend, get some now, and you will not be disappointed. If you need a flavor bomb to satisfy you, look elsewhere.

HamptonsDave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HamptonsDave (25)

I can't compare it to the original but on its own it is very good. I love burley and this ticks all the boxes. Pouch aroma is very straight forward and hay like. Nutty, mildly sweet and natural tasting. The cut is easy to pack and light. Not complex but who cares. If you like old fashioned tobacco you will love this. I am looking forward to trying the new Lane Ready Rubbed.

Pipe Used: Cobs

I have never tried the original ERR'd, so I have no point of comparison between the two blends. I likely never would have tried this, but our esteemed Mr. Inks got tired of me bashing Sutliffe and was determined to change my mind. This is one of the three blends he sent me to do so.

Overall, I did like this blend. It is an easy going burley smoke along the lines of Lane's BLWB, but substantially better IMO. It won't bite and will give you an enjoyable smoke when your mind may be elsewhere. This one won't spellbind you with complexity while you contemplate changing flavors. It is a codger burley, plain and simple, and a good one at that. It has the nutty type of profile one would expect from a burley that is amplified by the light topping. Don't let that lead you to believe that this is a sugary flavorless Aromatic though. There is plenty of burley adding some body to this one letting you know that you are indeed smoking tobacco.

I wouldn't put this up there with the comparable Uhle's blends, but I do recommend it. It is a great smoke at a great price.

Purchased From: gifted sample

Similar Blends: Lanes BLWB.

UPDATE 4/26/15

Downgrading this a star, as subsequent batches have been inconsistent. The last one did not taste much like ERR'd. Hopefully Sutliff corrects this down the road, as this was an excellent match blend. Still good, but lately it's not as good.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 2/19/12

Based on a sample received from a friend, perhaps 3/4 - 1 oz. Another ERR'd match blend - how boring. It's been done to death, and never correctly.

But I smoked a bowl of this and was so intrigued that I trudged down to the cellar (yep - my cellar is in the cellar!) and grabbed a small jar of the real deal for comparison. The look was a bit different - the ERR'd was darker and the plugs were smaller. But the aroma was the similar cocoa and nut. The darker color could have been age, as my ERR'd is all at least 7-10 years old.

Is this the same as ERR'd? Well, blindfolded I'd have a great deal of trouble distinguishing them. This had the old familiar flavor of nutty burley with the slight cocoa finish that made it slightly sweet. It didn't bite the tongue and was consistent in flavor throughout the bowl. Almost zero complexity, but that great flavor to the end. No ashy taste or harshness, unless overpuffed. This is close enough to ERR'd that any differences are largely irrelevant to me. I smoked a bowl of ERR'd right after I finished this and noticed no glaring differences, while being uncertain about different nuances. May have been some present or it may have been in my noodle.

Four stars for an Altadis blend - is the sky falling? :) But if this sample is any indication, they nailed this match blend where so many others have failed. Four resounding stars!

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (166)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a really delicious version of ERR! I do prefer the new Lane version in the blue tub that was recently released but only by a small margin. Sutliff's version having larger chunks that burn slower and is available in bulk at a lower price is also a 4 star blend in my book. I just love quality Burley's like this with their nutty, cedar, #2 pencil taste and aromas! Some molasses and cocoa topping perhaps but nothing too dramatic. A very old school aromatic... A small MM Washington gave me the best smoke. Pack It super loose until it is dry, then pack lightly.

I purchased my 8 ounce's from Pipe and Cigars and the moisture was a tad too high but honestly I would rather it arrived like that than dry and crumbly, for one thing some tobacco's lose their essential oils when dried too long and two cube cut tends to turn to dust when dried too long... Price, aroma, flavor... ERR Match is a winner for me! ERR and its Matches bring me back to the 1940's, FDR Fireside chats, Tube Radio's and The Andrew Sisters.... Enchanting!

Pipe Used: cobs of all sizes

Similar Blends: Edgeworth - Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Lane Limited - Lane Limited Ready Rubbed, Uhle's - Perfection Plug Burley.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (81)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the first of several "Match" tobaccos I'll be reviewing. I've recently purchased five of them from P&C, they are: Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Revelation, Country Doctor, Barking Dog and Model. Since I've never had Edgeworth before, and since I'm the most curious about that one, I've decided to start with it first.

Let me say, right off the bat, I really enjoyed this tobacco. The choco-chunks of burley and additives really hit the spot. The flavors, a little bit of chocolate, molasses and, for me, some black licorice. I guess I would classify this blend as a semi-aromatic rather than a full aro. This baccy really worked well in my MM Country Gent (with filter. In fact, that worked out so well I intend on smoking all of these match blends in a Country Gent).

As many of you know by now, I've become a real purist, scorning most tobaccos that have large amounts of "spicing", but, this blend is less saturated than many current day offerings, in fact, I don't believe they blend'em like this any more (this is like smoking history). I can see why many lament the loss of the original, for if it tasted anything like this, it's a true loss to the pipe smoking world.

I've never had the original, and that's a shame, but I really appreciate the fact that a match for this is still being blended—kudos to whomever has decided to do this, and, keep it going! I'm looking forward to trying the other blends. I give this one a strong three stars (I even briefly thought of giving it four, but, hey, it's still early in the game).

Keep on piping!

Pipe Used: Corn Cob w/filter

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: P&C

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a four start blend for me not because of what is was but what it is now. Milder blends and some aro's are looked down upon by some as not having huge Wagnerian flavor profiles that define the milestone BIG blends. I will offer that we are burning stuff in a small chamber and huffing that smoke directly into our faces. While I make this a hobby it never ceases to amaze me. I suggest to the reader that defining each level of appreciation is art and science and finding balance is key. Maybe in my next life I'll smoke the labels off of CatsPaw ropes and plugs but for now I can enjoy this tasty blend all day long and never for a moment fake my enjoyment of it.

Pipe Used: all

Age When Smoked: just getting started

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Uhle's Perfection Plug, Uhle's 00.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

No nonsense easy to pack. Burns effortlessly and cleanly leaving white ash. Classic burley nuttiness in abundance that really remains consistent the whole smoke. Not complex and on the mild side. As good, if not better than SWR. Great in cob or briar. Not to be missed by Burley lovers.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Edgeworth RR Match … Back when the original was popular, I never remember trying ERR, or for that matter never even seeing it for sale in my area, so the best I can do here is talk about what I found in smoking the new match product.

While browsing the P&C.com tobacco listings, I found several match blends that I could not resist trying, one being for Union Leader and the other this one. I must say I'm not disappointed with either one.

The tin/bag aroma is pleasant Tobacco/cocoa mix. Comes as easy to manage smaller cube cut of a mostly dark brown color. Now having smoked at the very least 4oz of this stuff, I come to see this blend as a mild and very worthwhile smoke, best enjoyed when I have some time to sip and taste, not because a more rapid puffing rate produces bite, but the flavor wants to drop-off as the heat increases, thusly missing all the varied flavors the blend has to offer. I did find some cocoa taste in the smoke, bite was no issue and a good burn was had without much fuss. But IMO I found this tobacco a bit low on it's "nic" level.

This is a very nice VaBur. The topping is lightly done. A bit of molasses and a wee touch of cocoa. The Burley is nutty and very mildly earthy. The Virginias are a little citrusy with a touch of hay and a mild sweetness. Makes a nice "messin' around in the garage" smoke. I never smoked the original and I didn't want to buy a whole tub of the new offering by Lane so I opted for this just to see what the fuss was about. It's a solid 3 star smoke.

Mild to medium in body and taste. Flavoring is mild. Burns well.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

LarryR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LarryR (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I try not to over-analize my tobacco so much that I forget to enjoy it, but that being said I shall now launch into my first ever tobacco review...I smoked the original in the '80's and '90's and was never very impressed, always finding it to burn hot and flavorless. My tastes are pretty varied and lean toward OTCs for throughout-the-day enjoyment, non-vanilla aro samples for fun every now and then, and Lats and (most recently) Va/Pers for more contemplative times when I do actually feel like paying attention to what I am smoking. As I enjoy many of Sutliff's Match blends when smokingpipes added it to their bulk section I decided to try this Match. Glad I did. Baggie note was burley with molasses which I found instantly compelling, and moisture seemed about right. There was no problem packing or lighting the course cubes/flakes. I found the burn rate about right and couldn't get this stuff to bite even when puffing like a steam engine. The nutty burley flavor came through and stayed consistant. I found the heavy-ish molasses/cocoa flavor to be quite a delight but it might be a bit over-done for some palates. I had expected a mess of sludge and goop toward the end of the bowl from the heavyish casing but it burned right down to the bottom of the bowl to a nice gray ash.There wasn't much of a Vitamin N hit, but I think I may have a high tolerance for same. As for room note, it doesn't seem heavy or really pungent at all. For me, it's an enjoyable, non-pretentious and uncomplicated smoke. I have to admit that I reserve a bit of each 8 oz order aside to blend in some Revelation Match at about 5-1 ratio for something similar to - but less bitey than - Eddie G. Robinson. I was looking for another codger burley-type smoke to add to my rotation and have found it in ERR Match. I was pleasantly surprised by it, and if you try it maybe you will be too.

Pipe Used: SC Flambe full bent

Age When Smoked: unknown

Similar Blends: It is what it is, My usual rotation includes Half and Half, CH, ERR Match, EGR, C&D Tuggle Hall and Bayou Morning, Sutliff Trafalgar and Revelation.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (25)

This blend was so so. It was very dry, and stayed lit well. I understand this was Norman Rockwell's favorite blend. It has a burley taste, and thats about it. If you are a burley lover I recommend this blend.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (83)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Not quite my cup of tea but this is a very faithful match to the last iteration of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed by Lane Ltd. In fact, I would say it is better than Lane made it in terms of cut, less larger chunks and a better moisture level, not as dry. The flavor and aroma are almost identical from what I can remember. Aside from the mild cocoa note there is a somewhat unpleasant characteristic earthiness with hints of black pepper and an almost cardboard/paper quality especially when puffed too hard. Aside from those issues, I have to emphasize how well it has been reformulated in respect to its predecessor. If you like typical non-aromatic cocoa cased burley blends i.g. Sir Walter Raleigh Regular, Mac Baren Golden Xtra, this is up there with them.

Pipe Used: Savinelli petite

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh, Mac Baren Golden Extra.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (144)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I am welcomed by thick cubes and ribbons of tobacco with a very present cocoa smell. At first light, the molasses and cocoa is the first thing I taste, afterwards I get some burley nuttiness with a faint anise/liquorice finish. It's a mild tasting tobacco with a casing that overtakes for the most part. My biggest complaint is the fact that in mid smoke the pipe gets clogged from the casing which for me is a big turnoff. I really wanted to like this tobacco, oh well... another disappointment.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well, it's been almost 40 years since I had the original, but this "match" brings back nice memories, it's close. I'm typically not a Burley fan, as it's hard on my tongue, but this was no problem. It smoked cool and easy. As I smoked , the flavor brings back memories of "Pencil Sharping's" , it's actually very pleasant. This was a nice moment back in time , but,......I do have other blends that I crave more than this today.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: original ERR.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (26)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Update, 04/01/2015: I have settled on this as a daily smoke. I have found that it needs to be smoked in a dedicated pipe to get the full flavor of the tobacco. The chocolate/molasses taste only increases when you do. Although I'm not ready to increase my rating to four stars, I am able to whole-heartedly endorse it as a throughly enjoyable smoke for when you have other things to do than wallow in a tobacco's complexities. Really good stuff!

Original review: I have been casting around to find a replacement for Sir Walter Raleigh regular since I have been disappointed with the current production of that blend. Somewhere I read that this is similar.

The cut of ERR Match is similar to SWR, but the flavor is not. I cannot entice an earthy tone from ERR like used to come from SWR. The burn of this ERR is very much like SWR, but the mouth feel is lighter, less substantial.

I do not mean to imply there is something wrong with this blend in and of itself. It behaves well, burns relatively slowly, doesn't bite, and has a pleasant flavor. I like the cut of this blend. It is mild enough (the nicotine level is fairly low) and has enough interest to be an all-day smoke for some but not for me.

I will not allow my disappointment at this being no replacement for what I remember of SWR influence my rating. Certainly this is a worthy blend and could appeal to many who like a light burley, lightly flavored. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

grower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grower (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

small cubes and a few crushed plugs. smells lightly of cocoa in the bag. very easy to pack and simple to light. burns cool even when puffed quickly. first puffs tastes a little like sir walter raleigh but the the mild topping burns off fast. one third of the way into the bowl you are rewarded with the taste of light molasses and plain old burley goodness that stay with you until the end. i did not pick up on the anise that some users stated. i do recommend this but i am not sure if i would buy a large quantity of this or a big ol' tub of sir walter raleigh. it would depend on which one was cheaper.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I first encountered this blend about three years ago. Lil Brown was selling it under the Consolidated label as Ready Rub Edgeworth.

I received a package today wondering if it was different from the Consolidated version.

There are two problems with this blend: it does not really taste like the ERR of old; it does not taste of anything very much.

I am going to keep it for a couple of years, let it dry out (it is sticky fresh out of the bag) and try it again. But for now, there are better blends.

Update Tried this blend out in one of my old Rocky Briars, and something clicked. Though not exactly like the famed Edgeworth of yore, this match blend turns out to be excellent in its way. Update to three stars.

If I smoked Edgeworth back in the day, I don't remember it. In general, though, I agree with SopwithCamel's review -- basically a decent generic burley mixture, with hints of cocao upfront and a little anise towards the bottom. Burns a little on the hot/fast side for me, hence two instead of three stars, but no bite.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered four ounces of this from Cup o Joe's, to see if it was in fact like Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

When it showed up, it looked like crushed plug, much like ERR and Sir Walter Raleigh.

It had the faint smell of cocoa, just as I recalled.

Upon lighting it is very similar to Edgeworth RR. It simmers well in the pipe, and I find it to be a pleasant and enjoyable experience. As Briar Rabbit pointed out in his review of Edgeworth, it does taste a bit like spicey pecans. The cocoa undertone is present throughout, and I found it highly enjoyable

Towards the end of the bowl some liquorice flavor peeks in, and there is a gentle molasses sweetness that pervades my taste during the whole bowl.

Up close, the room note is pleasant, but after leaving the room and returning, it is a more neutral pipe tobacco smell.

Puffed slowly and gently, it is a pleasant and inexpensive companion. It is excellent with a cup of black coffee.

If you miss ERR, drop six bucks and see if this makes you happy. It is certainly worth a try. Having smoked it a while, I have become very fond of it. My next order will be for a pound.