This is a blend unlike any you have had in the
past nor possibly in the future. This mixture is
an original creation of a tobacco blended by a
young master Steven Books! I guess for terms of
comparison, like smoking a Balkan Sobranie blend
yet not from a can but fresh from the blenders own table yet 50 years old! Aged like fine wine or a favorite cognac, this IS the perfect blend for that favorite scotch, brandy or cognac. A perfect gift for that discriminating palate! This ancient blend is crafted with these unique
and obviously limited quantities — 40 yr old Virginia, 38 yr. old Syrian Latakia, 40 yr old Turkish blend, 45 yr old Burley.

BrandSteven Books
Blended BySteven Books
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
3.7
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am fortunate enough to have a cellar full of old tins as I simply love well aged tobaccos. Needless to say, a blend made up of forty year old tobaccos was one I had to have on my “must try” list. Upon opening the pouch there is no doubt that this is one old tobacco. The scent is almost “wine-like.” I was concerned that with such old Burley in the blend that it might produce some bitterness, but none was to be found. As Meerschaum Man pointed out, Ancient Imperial tastes different than any other aged blend I have smoked, and I have smoked a lot of them. I seem to use this description with Books' blends, but again, very smooth tobacco. There is a lot going on with this blend too. There are a lot of complex flavors to be found in AI. It is not my favorite aged blend, but well worth the cost if you have some extra coin. Recommended

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is just really good from the first puff. I'm no stranger to aged blends but this one is different. Without the disadvantages of spending decades in a tin, it's character and flavors have indeed ripened to a sun grown sweetness and rich depth of flavor simply not found in other blends. Smooth and seductive, it makes me wonder where I've been for so long and yet not stumbled across this before. For the price of a good Cigar, a bowl of this is the better choice. Like an easy wind across the bayou, there is no compelling issue to distract your attention from this well orchestrated and earthy presentation of another time and day. For me, the Burley and Virginias are the main components, with supporting complements from the Syrian and Turkish varietals. Dappled tones of brown and darker colors of the visual presentation are complemented nicely by the semi-sweet note from the open jar. Easy to light, clean and long burning, it is self-indulgent and a guilty pleasure that I can see myself repeating. Yes, it does quite nicely in this Baki Meerschaum Bulldog.

The Nothing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Nothing (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Exquisite. That was the only word that came to mind the moment I fired up a bowl of Ancient Imperial. This was but a sample that was given to me when I visited Steven Books' shop earlier today.

As one would expect, the years have subdued the Latakia, but it is still present. Rather than die out completely, it has instilled itself in other tobaccos. You had to look for it when I smelled it out of the jar. The main flavor components are coming from the VAs and Burley with the Turkish riding behind in the wake like a water skier. The Latakia was mostly pronounced in the retrohale. The ash was fine and grainy, and the bowl smoked cool all the way to the bottom without any dottle or bittering.

Ancient Imperial runs a hefty pricetag, but it's one that I'm more than willing to splurge on from time to time.

Pipe Used: Stanwell N&D (dedicated to English-style blends)

Purchased From: House of Calabash