Calabria is one of the poorest areas of Italy and yet it possesses great riches. Calabria owes its fame to Green Gold, the fruit of the bergamot. From here, the tartly aromatic citrus fruit took off on its triumphal march around the world. The tart, acidic taste of bergamot perfectly matches the sweeter Virginia grades of “Green Gold“ broken flakes. The subtle and finely arranged bouquet gives “Green Gold“ its seductive, creamy taste. It makes “Green Gold“ Broken Flake an uncomplicated companion for any time of day.

...sweet, fresh, fruity - Chapeau Green Gold

Notes: Aromatics: Bergamot (Bitter Citrus).

BrandHU Tobacco
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (293)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This one really struck me as a surprise! I'm anything but an Aromatic-Guy, but when a tin of Green Gold was lying in the Pass-Around-Box we have going on I couldn't help myself but to dip my nose into the tin at least once. The scent was so intriguing that I dipped a bowl of it into my clay pipe... and after my first bowl I couldn't help but sntach the whole tin! ;-)

The tin note is very nice. Tea-like, think Earl Gray tea, with the Bergamotte clearly present. Freshly brewn tea, dark bread and caramell-y biscuits as well as a very refreshing citrus note. The ready rubbed is a joy to handle and I prefer to dry it out to "crisp" moisture level. It not only burns better, but also enhances the natural Virginia qualities - which are imho of first class in this blend!

This isn't what most people consider an "Aromatic". Again, "Semi-Aromatic" is on point to describe what this is. The flavoring is clearly noticebale, yet leaves plenty of room for the tobaccos to shine. The tobaccos not only are a carrier for the flavoring, but interact perfectly with the flavorings qualities. The Virginias are bready, biscuit-like, citrusy fresh and have this "tea-like" quality some Virginias offer (such as Best Brown Flake f.e.). In interplay with the Bergamotte flavoring (which actually tastes of real Bergamotte) you get a feeling of having a delicious black tea (Earl Gray). Citrusy, slightly bitter and very, very refreshing.

A cup of tea goes exceptionally well with smoking a pipe for me and this blend compromises both aromas into one pipe blend - heavenly, green gold indeed it is! But the tobacco is just as much of a green gold than the tea-flavoring is. They just work so damn well, anyone who likes Earl Gray tea should give it a try. I also like to compare this to Royal Yacht by Dunhill, as it's in the same vein as Green Gold is. Different, but of the same kin.

This has become my go-to-blend in the morning hours, especially now that the weather is getting warmer. It truly is like having a good bowl of black tea along with a mellow and smooth, yet rich in flavors bowl of Virginia in your pipe. I'd imagine having a cup of tea alongside will make the experience even more soothing and tasty! Strength is just shy of Medium and the taste is Medium+. Not quite "full", but full-bodied and rich in flavors.

4-stars and favorited, I like Hans' approach on making aromatic blends where the tobacco isn't only some kind of "carrier" for the flavorings, but work in a synergetic, interacting way, such as "english-style Aromatics" such as Peterson's 3P's, University Flake or Erinmore Flake. This is how flavorings work just fine for me as a sceptic of artificial flavorings on pipe tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Clays & Cobs

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

After trying two other blend by this company, I find this blend not even in the same league. I sure does not match the description. I find it to taste just like any flavored Dutch style tobaccos but more loke an OTC version and not a custom blend. It smokes OK, but it does not excite, it is not creamy in the least to me, more a bland and rough tasting smoke. I don't taste the Bergomet at all in this blend. It has a sweet aftertaste but in truth, I felt like I eas smoikng a cigarette. It comes in a mostly medium brown ribbon cut, with a tangy pouch note. It does pack nice and easy and lites up easy, burning all the way down rather fast to a steel grey ash with little dottle. As it smokes down I don't detect any strenthening in flavor, it remains consistant all the way down. I tried it in all different pipes from cob to meers to briars, but it never married to one of them. I cannot in good faith really recommend this blend to anybody unless they like cigarettes, and for the price it costs, it is not a value even there.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (169)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Comes in light brown broken flakes at a good moisture level to smoke in a slow pace. Tin aroma is floral, very fresh and delightful. This is a very easy going mildly aromatic blend with enough flavor to smoke any time while being occupied with something else. It has freshness, a slight sweetness and a balancing tang. It reminded my a little of Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky, in a higher pitch of flavours, less sweet and more refreshing, actually it is a quite elegant blend.

...sweet, fresh, fruity - Chapeau Green Gold