Nashville, the captial of Tennessee, is the stronghold of American country music. But Nashville is also located in the middle of the USA‘s largest Burley-growing area. Often underrated as a pure carrier of aroma, Burley is seldom found as a main ingredient in natural tobacco blends. “Nashville County“ Ready Rubbed Flake brilliantly disproves such misconceptions. 60 percent strong-flavored and sweet Kentucky Burley grades determine the character of this traditional American blend. Malty Red Virginias form the “Nashville Country‘s“ beautiful finish. Its taste is defined by a smoky flavor with a touch of liquorice. This medium strong blend is perfect for relaxed smoking and a brilliant interpretation of the traditional spirit of the South.

"…progress is tradition perpetuated." (C-F v Weizsäcker)

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Blend TypeBurley Based
Packaging100 gr tin
Medium, Medium to Strong

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The sweet, nutty, earthy burleys are well complimented by the tangy ripe fruit sweet red Virginia. There’s a little cocoa and a hint of molasses from the burleys, too. The licorice topping is extremely light, and does not detract from the natural flavors of the tobaccos. The Virginia and burley meld together for a well balanced smoke that gives you every flavor in every puff from start to finish. Burns at a moderate pace, slow, cool, and smooth with a very consistent flavor. No dottle, almost no moisture in the bowl. The nic-hit is mild. Though it’s medium in strength, it has a punchy rich flavor that perks you up without wearing you down. It has a nice room note and aftertaste with no sharpness, and a creamy smoothness that doesn’t diminish at the bottom of the bowl like some burley blends will.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (169)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Lucky I was to be gifted of this burley based gourmet blend.

I could not do any better than the fine reviews I’m reading here below.

This blend simply shines. Not easy to find such a perfect balance between Burley & Virginia, the latter being added to the perfect measure over a gorgeous Burley. Smokes cool and unbitey. On the medium side of strength, reinforcing through the bowl, flavor and aroma are of pure tobacco: delicious ! I don’t detect any particular superimposed aromatization, nevertheless agreeing that some enhancer – applied with the lightest hand – may be in the party.

Very very well done: four full stars !

Pipe Used: Castello

Age When Smoked: a couple of years

Purchased From: gifted

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Golden Blend without casing.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

While i spoke of subtlety and complexity about Louisiana Broken here it's quite the opposite . If Lousiana Broken would be compared to Mozart than this one would be compared to BB King . Fat, robust , earthy , somber and firm this one is straightforward . But the name of the game here is really Burley and burley is what it is and i really enjoyed it . Again , even it's straightforward , Hans managed to keep the strenght of this leaf in a cage by adding those wonderful Red Va that on their turn gives this blend some sweetness and adds to a harmonious taste .

While i imagine this blend was meant for burley lovers i truly believe it can be enjoyed by Va smokers as well .

LeoMiddlefinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeoMiddlefinger (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Several months ago, when Mick McQuaid plug was discontinued, I went on a hunt for an alternative, and quickly I discovered that I am very much a burley lover... I've tried Peterson 3P's, (not at all as good), Solani Aged Burley, (outstanding, but different), and a range of others, looking for that sweet, nutty and completely unique burley flavour that McQuaid Plug has.

This tobacco is not like Mick McQuaid plug, but I may have found the safe and staple burley fix that allows me to break into the occasional pack of McQuaid that I have stashed for the zombie apocalypse...

The tin note is of cocoa nibs and chocolate, with a light, sweet and wholesome scent which I'm probably being overly-romantic about, being that it reminds me so much of opening a Kinder chocolate stick when I was a child growing up in Germany.

The tin has a perfect moisture content, and the thick, medium-brown ribbon-cut baccy packs into any size bowl just perfectly. It burns down to a fine grey ash with very little dottle altogether too quickly for my liking, but that's probably more because I enter a dream-like state when I smoke it and lose track of the time, than the tobacco itself burning too quickly.

The charring light unleashes the warm and inviting smell of a European cafe that specialises in serving hot chocolate with lashes of cream during the winter, but that immediate impression soon settles into a smooth and pleasingly consistent smoking experience.

I've had absolutely no tongue bite even when I'm puffing hard.

I can't comment too much on the room note, but the beard note is really very pleasing, and I would heartily recommend it to any bewhiskered man or his gal.

In summary, I can't recommend this enough. I have little experience quite as sublime to compare it to, but I do know that it entirely fills the vacancy that I am looking for in a good, wholesome Burley.

For me, the only thing that could possibly make this blend any better is if they made it in a plug format for those of us that love a chunk of tobacco to carry around in our rucksacks.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Northern Briars, Peterson

Purchased From: HU Tobaccos

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)

Nashville County, another natural blend of HU- Tobacco While the VAPER blends of HU-Tobacco are really complex and subtle, the Nashville County is a robust and earthy blend. But this blend is not boring or sharp. The taste of this blend is like dark chocolate with almonds. The Red Virginia gives this blend a decent, but wonderfull sweetness.The combination between the robust burley and the elegant virginia is well dosed. So the Nasville County is a tobacco with punch and also a tobacco which brings flavor notes of bygone days. When you close the eyes while smoking, you can see an old farmer sitting on the terrace in front of the house, smoking his pipe :-) A tobacco for Burley lovers and lovers of rustical, fine blended tobaccos. My vote: 4 stars

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (75)

This is Burley at its best, nutty and cigar-like as only the best quality Burley is. Blended with Red Virginia to smooth out some of its monochromatic qualities and to add some sweetness and zest, this high quality blend from Hans should be high on the list of Burley afficinadoes.

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I was gifted a 5g bag of this with a pipe I bought and must admit its something I wouldn't have bought left to my own devices, however not one to throw perfectly good tobacco away and having given the bag a good 'nosing' I'm glad I did try it. Don't let the 'liquorice' description put you of...I didn't smell or taste a strong presence there was a lovely sweet smell and taste to compliment the robust burley flavour but I didn't get the aniseed flavour. Loved the burley, loved the sweet casing and yes I would indulge in a tin if my local tobacconist stocked it.

Pipe Used: Ben wade rusticated estate.

Purchased From: Free sample

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Medium Medium to Strong Extra Full Strong

I like burley, I use to smoke aged burley flake, a bit to hard for me, and also Prince Albert I liked much. But This new Nashville County is my favorite, if you like Burley you have to try this one, very very good blend.