A disc-cut blend of dark fired and sun cured tobaccos to relax with over the setting sun. A unique hand-stripped, spun-cut tobacco blend consisting of flue cured Virginia from the USA and Brazil, blended with air cured tobacco from Malawi. A flue cured wrapper leaf from Brazil completes the blend.

Notes: Cocktail Hour has notes of pineapple and chocolate.

BrandVilliger
Blended ByPeter Stokkebye
Manufactured ByVilliger
Packaging50g tin
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium

2.2
marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

As a general rule I have been enjoying the new Villiger line from Stokkebye. The blends are good quality, and offer a few things which are out of the ordinary. I am torn by this blend though. One the one hand, it has very pleasant burn characteristics, and offers a nice cool(ish) smoke if puffed with a little respect. It also produces nice amounts of creamy white smoke. On the other hand, it really has no flavor or body. It is so mild that it is hard to even find ways to describe what it tastes like. Of course, it has a little sweetness, from the VA's, and it does taste like tobacco, but I personally smoke a pipe when I want something more than just a mild tobacco flavor and odor.

The tobacco is packaged in disc form, but don't get too excited, because it is not going to offer you loads of yummy flavor like some other good blends of this genre. Within the discs exist long strands of thin ribbon cut tobacco, which i personally do not care for. I find this cut hard to pack, as it is too open and springy, and it does not lend itself to rubbing out from disc form for packing. This does best if you let it dry out for a good hour or two before smoking. Even then it does not dry much, which makes me think it has been squirted with something. It lights and burns readily, however, and will not bite unless you go crazy.

As for the notes of pineapple and chocolate, I do not know what the hell they are talking about. It is not cased with anything of that ilk that I can detect, it does not smell like that in the tin, and my palate does not detect anything of the sort in the smoking. Of course, perhaps I possess a crude and untrained palate incapable of detecting such subtle notes, but either way you are not going to be smoking a pina coloda, if that is a concern.

All in all one of the most bland things I have every smoked. If you are looking for very neutral smoke to break in a pipe, than this might be a good mixture to use. If you are looking to treat yourself to that one smoke of the day, than this is a waste of time when so many other tasty blends are out there (some of which are from Villiger!).

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Early Day, Mid-Day and After Dinner -- three great winners in the pipe tobacco world. Where did Cocktail Hour come from? Poor quality tobacco (or curing process), no scent or flavor (not that I want any but, hey, it's not as advertised), hot, dry and sharp. Used it as a blender with a few other mutts and have a serviceable self-created OTC-type jar sitting around. Sorry -- I never disrespect a tobacco because it's just not my cup of tea. Here, this simply isn't tea at all. Just poor quality tobacco.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)

Again, please learn your cuts before writing a description for a tobacco, this is NOT a broken flake. It would be wise to also smoke a blend before writing a description, just saying...

The blend comes as a mixture of discs and broken disks, not flakes. The discs are easy to rub. The flavor is citrusy and sweet, with the topping being noticeable but in no way overwhelming. The bright Virginias in the blend, plus the topping, remind me a lot of Peter Stokkebye's navy flake and Olik Golden Slices. Not really the same thing, but I can smoke either one interchangeably.

Very good sweet and bright Virginia at an excellent price.

AntiClimacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AntiClimacus (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was convinced to give this tin a try at a tobacco shop close to where I live. When I opened the tin, I just smelled pure Virginia, I didn't notice any topping. I have to admit, this tobacco is a bit wet in the tin. The first few times I tried it, it was a pain to keep lit, I had to relight it several times, it made my pipe a bit goopy. It can give you a good amount of bite to your tongue if you don't dry it or if you take some serious drags off your pipe.

However, as I smoked the tobacco, I noticed some very tasty notes in the tobacco, I got a nice creamy smoke with a vanilla-like sweetness flavor in the tobacco. For some reason, I was continually drawn back it and the more I tried it, the more I began to appreciate it. The tobacco really opened up when I allowed it to dry for a while, I got it to the point where it was very crispy where the tobacco would fall apart. However, the extra dryness produced a cooler smoke and it burned A LOT easier than it did out of the tin.

Overall, it's a good very good tobacco, I can understand how some people can be put off by it but I loved it once I allowed it to dry. My suggestion is to let it dry or pack the tobacco loosely in the bowl. It's definitely worth a try if you're able to spot it at the shop.

Dr.Chill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.Chill (1)
Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I fell victim to the name "cocktail hour" with visions of a gentleman smoking a pipe in a darkened semi-formal late 1950's lounge.

When I opened the can I did not snese any notes of pineapple or chocolate. In fact it kind of smelled like an old leaf chewing tobacco I had in the army. Needless to say, my dreams of being an antiquated playboy from the golden era of class quickly began to diminish and turn into the horrors of working in a cheap colonge filled bar of a 1970's bowling alley.

The tobacco did burn well for me, but as others had mentioned it can give a small touch of bite. It has an off flavor I couldn't quite place. It was almost a ghost stale vanilla flavor, but like I mentioned I couldn't quite place it. There is a hint of sweetness, but if you're not looking for it you could miss it. You have to puff very very lightly to get any acceptable flavor.

After trying three bowls in different pipes, and with varying degrees of puff rates...I feel this tobacco is slightly substandard which is really a shame. Maybe the next step up from drugstore blends at best.

Perhaps it would taste better in a filtered pipe.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (30)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I had high hopes for this blend after experiencing After Dinner (which is one of my favorites). I just did not get much out of this. Extremely mild taste (even for a Virginia which in my opinion is too mild). My wife typically enjoys the aroma of other English blends but did state that this was the worst YTD. Villiger struck out on this one for me.

Django101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Django101 (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never had 3 nuns, so I'm not in a position to comment on how well Villiger did on that front. The first half of the bowl had a very robust virginia taste to it. The second half of the bowl was far more mild and what is described as "chocolate and pineapple" came through but if I hadn't read that description I never would have said "chocolate and pineapple." I found it enjoyable, though.

Overall this isn't a bad tobacco. It does look somewhat like Three Nuns in the tin although I don't think it tastes like the current (no perique) version of Three Nuns. There is a nice sweetness but I am suspect that it isn't completely from the Virginia's as I think there has been some added manually. It burns very cleanly and is one of those tobaccos that produces a large volume of smoke. The tin notes on this baccy are unfairly deceiving as it could lead one to think this is an aromatic. Like the other reviewers, I don't detect any cased taste of pineapple or chocolate.

My reason for offering only two stars is that Cocktail Hour is a little rough around the edges and can nip the tongue. It just isn't refined. However, I think it has promise with a couple of years of age on it and as a result I have stashed away four tins to see what happens. Two and a half stars.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Well, I've never had Three Nuns, but I doubt this is a match. Maybe it is like the Euro-pouch new Three Nuns. If the price stays low on this, I won't feel too bad about giving it three stars. So far, to me it's dependable, mild, and pleasant. I wouldn't go so far as to call it bland, and I like the mix of Virginias, and that touch of Malawi is always nice. Chocolate and Pineapple? When suggested, I can imagine them being there, just as one can imagine all kinds of overtones in a quality wine. Don't get too excited about the discs: they fall apart with the slightest handling. Really, the presentation is pretty no-frills. The taste is no-frills as well. Quality but not spectacular mild Virginia when sipped, but a bit harsh when pushed. No layers of flavor as the bowl progresses, it's just an average bowl of Virginia. I don't regret buying three extra tins; the price was right, and maybe it will age well. It may not be knocking my socks off right now, but it's an inoffensive smoke I don't mind having in my collection.