Traditional English Mixture in Balkan-Style.

BrandWellauer & Co
Blend TypeBalkan
Packaging50gr tin
CountryCH
Strength
Taste

Although the country they operated out of (Switzerland), was known for flavored tobaccos, this brilliant old blending house went against the grain by producing some of the finest English style blends ever produced. And believe it or not Wellauer & Company also was known for its brand of chocolates and other confections. The only way I could get their tobaccos back in the 1980s and early '90s was to swap tobacco with an old Pipe Smokers Ephemeris member who had me send him tobacco he couldn't get there.

I am not sure to this day what really constitutes a Balkan Mixture, but to my mind it is heavier on the Virginias and Latakia and lighter on the Oriental components. And this one hit all the right notes with me. I liked the depth and strength, although I admit I have smoked many blends over the years that seem to have the same overall presentation. Not a stand out, but darned good.

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

This mixture is a perfect test of how to smoke a pipe to enjoy a tobacco: if you smoke it quickly the taste will become cigarette-like. But if you manage to smoke it slowly, then it will be satisfying, although Balkan Mixture is not a top level EM. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Al Negresco, Ponte Tresa (Switzerland)

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Very good mixture, with a 50% latakia I would guess. Perfect after lunch or dinner, it is quite similar to the Dunhill Nightcap, in strength. I rate it 3 stars, and will buy it again. in my opinion, it is lacking something since the taste is quite linear.. maybe it is me seeking for some perique which is not here. Or the balkans are not at the same level of latakia.. Anyway, worth giving it a try if you smoke balkans, absolutely.