The original Lakeland Brickle has been a big hit for us, but we received a number of "I liked it, but..." emails and phone calls. What people were requesting was a version that would be stronger than the original with a more robust scent. And a number of people wanted smaller packaging. We listened to you, so we're announcing Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo; a fuller-bodied blend with dark air-cured, dark fire-cured and Perique with a richer flavor including juniper, lavender and clove, and packed in 4 oz. bricks.

BrandHearth & Home
Taste

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

First, about the name. It makes no sense. This stuff was made in Albany NY, not the Lakeland district in England. And brickle...what the hell is a brickle? Yes, it's a brick, that looks similar to peanut brittle. I know what you're getting at, but brittle is a perfectly fine and descriptive word. And fortissimo...suggesting a rich and heavy hand in strength. This isn't Italy! I know, it's not fair to criticize these things and I only do so in a joking manner, which certainly doesn't reflect on the product. And in that regard, this is the finest robust American flavored smoke I've tried.

I remember smoking Hookah in my younger days and a flavor selection I made once had this same type of essence, instead labeled Jasmine. It gave off a delicious, refreshing floral note so novel and intense that it left a distinct impression in my mind. Even years later I can still recall the taste, and the entire experience couldn't have lasted more than a half hour. I know it was a composite of many essences, but the similarities are there, the technique, however similar. To me, it's odd that the hookah industry is so good at infusing flavor into tobacco, whilst we Americans rely on goopy casings and inferior leaf. But I think Russ has changed that. He's opened a door to a different kind of smoke, one that also showcases a rare attribute in an aromatic--strength, as this brittle is a solid medium in body, enough to pacify the nicotine hound in search of a decent fix, so hesitant to flirt with aromatics. And the flavoring here is remarkable in its ability to stay through the entire bowl, never burning off. This really is an American aromatic achievement that we can finally stick to those stuffy British and their soap sauces.

I admit, I was excited about this purchase. I recall reading about the original, watching an interview in which Russ discussed the development of his flavoring technique, and seeing the blend on the shop site for the first time. I was taken aback, however, of the 8oz size, which was simply too much for me, having about thirty open aromatic tins of poor choice selection left about, each with an ounce or so more that will never finish. They sit in a box, hidden from my view, which I guess you can call my half assed attempt at a cellar. But this variation is a little different, a product of experience, the flavor modified, stronger and available in 4 ounces. The packaging itself is also a thrill, crammed tightly in a vacuum seal and hard as a rock, in its brittle form.

When you open the package, the contents are caked together, slightly sticky, the smell of fragrant flowers wafting through the air. I cut it up using actual scissors into small, squarish pieces and threw it in an old 2 oz container, in which it fit perfectly, so dense in its constitution. I can't wait to make my way through this sample, and I know further exploration will yield an even greater variety of flavors. Russ, if you're reading this, thank you for taking the time to experiment with radically different ideas and the determination to see them through. Don't stop, I demand more and different flavor sensations! How about a citrus variety?

Albany NY is the new Lakeland district, and it's American.

I tried the original Lakeland Brickle first, but this is indeed better. The flavorings are more harmoniously "married" to the tobacco, and are a better balance of flavors in general; more spicy than the very flowery original. Juniper, lavender, and clove: very nice! As in the original, the flavors are really more of a scent than a topping. It's not that you don't taste them, but this is no goopy aromatic. The blend is not strong, as "fortissimo" would suggest, but the touch of Perique and fire-cured raise the strength level a bit from the original. The introduction of these condiment tobaccos really help to raise the interest level, and they are not overdone, but in perfect amounts. I am finishing up a small sample of only 4-5 bowls, but this will be going on my list for future purchase. I only wish I had bought a half pound of this one rather than the first incarnation, though that one isn't bad in its own right. As to a description of the unique presentation of this blend, see my review and others of the original Lakeland Brickle; this looks about the same, but with some darker leaf mixed in.

Another generous sample provided by a pipe forum friend! A bit darker in color than the "regular" Brickle and a bit stronger in bag aroma. Otherwise they resembled each other pretty closely.

Flavor-wise, this one was also richer. The flavoring lasted throughout the bowl but never became tiresome, although unlike the G&H lakeland blends, I could only do one bowl of this at a time before I had to switch to something else. This also DGT'd very nicely overnight. On first blush, this seemed to be an upgrade of the original Brickle. And yet, something pulled me back to the original. In this one, I preferred the flavoring but this doesn't have that gentle bathing of the flavor over the tastebuds. The original sort of melted on the tongue and the flavoring seemed more a part of the leaf than an additive. With this one, it was clearer that regular tobacco leaf was used and the flavoring added afterwards... which sounds silly, because that's the case with both! But with the original, it just seemed to me like the flavoring and the leaf were more "one". Hard to describe.

At any rate, I enjoyed them both immensely. There is room in my rotation for both, and I strongly suggest that anyone interested in one or the other should experience the two of them.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A pleasant full bodied tobacco that burns easily with few relights. I smoke it for it's body and strength. Don't expect the same scent and strength as the true Lakelands though, this one is different. Milder,and a different scent altogether.I find it a little heavy on one of the toppings, which I can't put a finger on, but think it may be the cloves. This is, at best, a couple time a week smoke for me. A little too heavily flavored for more than that. Recommended if you like the genre.

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (20)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I've had a couple of these vacuum-packed 4oz bricks for a little while now and I decided to take them out of the bags and put them into a new glass cannister my wife gave me today. I took one of the little thin edges left in one of the bags, broke it up and put it into a little Italian churchwarden briar. I enjoyed this smoke immensely. The Perique tickled the back of my palate; the juniper, lavender and clove were present but in no way overpowering. The smoke was creamy, a little potent and the flavor was very nice. There was plenty of smoke, the leaf burned well down to a gray ash in the bottom of the bowl. I highly recommend this blend to all you aromatic lovers as well.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium Extra Strong Medium Very Strong

This is just not for me. Reminds me of funeral home flower arrangements. I traded this off for a few tins of aged Escudo. I'm not saying others shouldn't try it, but use caution and an old pipe.

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)

I have to admit that I was disappointed at first. I was hoping that a blend that called itself 'Lakeland' might be a little bolder. When I first cracked the seal on the vac-sealed bag, I was hoping to catch a scent of Lakeland floral, but all I got was a nice rich tobacco scent. Smoking that first bowl was again, not what I was expecting. Only the faintest hint of lavender from retro-haling through my nose. My disappointment slowly faded though as I began to realize that while not an American replacement for my favorite British blends, it did have it's own pleasant merits. A rich, even burning Burley with a touch of Virginia sweetness with an occasional appearance of spice from the Perique. This is anything but a boring smoke. This would be a nice, interesting smoke even if it had a completely different name. So while it's not America's answer to the Lakeland 'soap' that so many of us enjoy, it is still a welcome addition to my rotation. I hope that in the future, Russ will give us a full bore, no-holds-barred blend to stand along side of classics like Ennerdale, St. Bruno, and Condor. Until then, this is still a great little blend that's well worth a try.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Really a treat, Flavor, kick, Aroma. Its a mystery what catergory to put this in. The vaccum packed brick was cool also. Family loves room note. A solid B+

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Juniper, Clove and Lavender eh? Thank God there's a little room left for tobacco! Actually this little number is quite a treat...being nothing like the Brit stinky pants blends...not sending you choking toward yoir local ER with Vit. N oozing out of yer fingernails...and being both reasonable in cost and obtainable. OH! And the stuff is easy to work with, is managable in the bowl and tastes good. What's not to like? I haven't gotten to the point where I crave it twice a day...thinking it's more of a 'special occasion' blend. Honestly and all kidding aside, this is very good, totally unique and as such is super when you're kinda tired of the rest of your usual suspects.

To me this is a distinctly Western USA blend. California. Beverly Hills. Done up by Jethro after Grannie run out of Glengary while boiling up a nice Possum...so she grabs the first thing at hand (a bottle of cloves off the rack) and wings it at Jethro...and he takes off out the kitchen door and commences to grabbin' plants and such on the run (Juniper and Lavender) and adds a handfull of each plus a pinch of the Clove to a gunny sack of Kentucky Brown...and the blend was born. It was Ellie May what put the fancy name on it just to impress Grannie...and she did. Once when Russ was visiting the Clampetts he noticed Grannie's stash...and run off with it. Just cain't trust a tobacco man I always say. But then, I always say way too much!

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Russ has added yet another winner to the H&H stable. Plenty of body, flavor and strength. Always smooth and creamy, never harsh. The strength of tobacco's and Robust scents of Juniper, Lavender and Cloves really works for me and this is fast becoming one of my favorites while also making the current Gawith drought no longer a concern for me.