"None Nicer" -- The Three Nuns Pipe Tobacco is a curly cut blend of dark fired Kentucky and sun cured Virginia tobaccos mixed with the finest Brazilian Lights to produce the unique flavour and mellow smoking characteristics for which Three Nuns is famous.

Notes: This is the entry for the pouch version of Three Nuns, which by all accounts is a different mixture than any of the tinned versions.

BrandBell's
2.3
LondonCalling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondonCalling (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I should point out two things before launching into this review. Firstly, I've no idea what the older incarnations of Three Nuns were like, never having smoked them, so anything I have to say is based purely on my own impressions of this blend as-is. Nor have I tried the tin version currently available in the US and mainland Europe. And secondly, I suspect there are some pretty odd bits of childhood psychology going on here which influence what I have to say - but more on that later. Although some would claim this is an OTC / supermarket blend, I find it surprisingly complex. Out of the pouch there's a woody aroma, with what appears to be a (very subtle) whisky topping and perhaps a hint of chocolate. It takes a light easily, and at first I detect a hint of soapiness (oh dear, not the dreaded curse of Erinmore!), though this soon gives way to some subtle florals. As it burns though, I get more robust scents of fresh leather and old rope. On relighting I increasingly get a woodsy scent like new-cut oak, which at times is so strong I wonder whether I'm actually burning the briar of the bowl (though no fear of this, as the bowl is well-carbonised). It's not a polite blend, in the sense that it can bite if not properly handled, and delivers a surprisingly decent nicotine kick. In all, I would class this as a proper, grown-up smoke of surprising complexity. But there's something else, something less tangible and for me quite deeply rooted; and it's in the room note. For all the rants about Three Nuns being nothing like it was in days gone by, there's something in the lingering note that's playing with my memory. My dad used to smoke Three Nuns when I was a nipper. I only know this from seeing the old, empty tins he used to stash in a drawer, as by the time I was old enough to notice, he'd switched to Clan (Clan! Was the man mad?) It's the scent of my earliest childhood. I also recall the exact same smell lingering in the public spaces of my youngest days: the railway station waiting rooms; upstairs on buses; and - it sounds bizarre in these health-obsessed times - the surgery of our old family doctor, a bear of a man who lived into his 90s and used to dispense pearls of medical common sense from behind a veil of pipesmoke ("Always go to work on a proper cooked breakfast, and never go to bed without a tot of good whisky inside you"). Some may consider this blend a bit cheap and cheerful. For me, it's so much more.

Pipe Used: Blakemar Rhodesian

Age When Smoked: From date of purchase

Purchased From: Online, from SmokeKing, a UK supplier

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (28)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

oh dear i took the plunge and bought a 50g pouch of this and i wish i didn't, where the idea of 'none nicer' fits into it i will never know, the aroma is quite nice in the pouch but that's it. its tasteless to me but its easy to keep lit, i wont be buying this again, but i do enjoy going through tobaccos and finding the bad ones and the nice ones but this for me is a bad one, i will finish the pouch and move on.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I have seldom found a blend that i can simply describe as being a pouch of tobacco. This blend really is just that.

Dont get me wrong, it is not disagreeable in any way, it just does not stand out im afraid. I taste the Virginia and the Kentucky and together they are good. I have a pouch in my desk drawer and will fill my pipe with its contents if i see it first, i just dont go looking for it.

It burns well, smokes cool with no bite.

All in all a good tobacco, just not memorable in any way.

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: London

Similar Blends: Toyota Camray, Nissan Almera, Ford Mondeo.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

My review is based on one out of two old pouches, bought some many years ago (2000-2001) before TN (both the pouch and tinned version) disappeared from Italian tobacconists. The pouch is just like the one pictured above, it just show the word Mixture instead of Tobacco. It was made in England by Imperial Tobacco Limited Liverpool. I had read somewhere this is the popular version, probably the scraps coming from the production of the curlies (of the time) going in the tin. I think it may easily be that. This is not a bad tobacco, not at all. I would buy it if still available at a decent price. It falls in the VaPer category, on the mild to medium side of strength. The flavor is typical of VaPer’s: ripe fruits with a faintly piquant note, partially reflecting in the room note – of cookies – which remains quite neutral and unoffensive. If some flavouring help, it should be very minimal. Mild in the body. Burns nice but needs care to avoid hot smoke and bite. Bowls from medium to large are preferable, avoid the small ones.

Pipe Used: mainly straight Castello's

Age When Smoked: some 15 years old, maybe more

Similar Blends: Elizabethan Mixture ?.

Waxerboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Waxerboy (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Having placed my order my first impression on arrival was disappointing. The tobacco arrived in a cheap plastic wrap and the colour was much lighter than I remembered. Course cut as against the coin version of old. On checking, the packaging colour and writing looked like the original without the word ORIGINAL. OK let's move on. I took a cleaned pipe noting I never use the same pipe two days running. On lighting I found the first taste impressive, mild and pleasant on the palat. The burn was excellent and the pipe bowl remained cool throughout. No tongue or lip burn and continued to give an even pleasurable smoke to the end with little ash. I'm trying various tabaccos to find the penultimate smoke and would recommend this as a canny smoke, but not absolutely perfect, just enjoyable.

Nathan90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan90 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice smoke. Lots of tastes and defiantly one I would recommend. Not very good at staying light but I may of smoked it a little to wet so make sure it's dry before smoking it.

This is the pouch version, not to be confused with the tin version, where the tobacco is coin cut. Outside of the having the same name, their chief similarity is that both are tobacco products. The rubbed, pouch version of Three Nuns tastes sludgy; no nuance, no subtle flavors, and tastes like cheap tobacco. The tinned version in any incarnation is better than this crap. This one is course cut with different colors. I see some perique, bright Virginia, and little pieces of a dark Virginia. It burns well... too well, because it's a tongue scorcher, and I'm not a fast smoker. The makers of this should hang their collective heads in shame on a guillotine for making such a shoddy product. It may have some of the same ingredients of the coin version, but the resemblance really and truly ends with the name of the tobacco. Save your money and buy something - anything - else.