"None Nicer" -- The Three Nuns Pipe Tobacco is a curly cut blend of dark fired Kentucky and sun cured Virginia tobaccos mixed with the finest Brazilian Lights to produce the unique flavour and mellow smoking characteristics for which Three Nuns is famous.

Notes: This is the entry for the pouch version of Three Nuns, which by all accounts is a different mixture than any of the tinned versions.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Packaging50 gram pouch
Extremely Mild
Pleasant, Tolerable
LondonCalling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondonCalling (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I should point out two things before launching into this review. Firstly, I've no idea what the older incarnations of Three Nuns were like, never having smoked them, so anything I have to say is based purely on my own impressions of this blend as-is. Nor have I tried the tin version currently available in the US and mainland Europe. And secondly, I suspect there are some pretty odd bits of childhood psychology going on here which influence what I have to say - but more on that later. Although some would claim this is an OTC / supermarket blend, I find it surprisingly complex. Out of the pouch there's a woody aroma, with what appears to be a (very subtle) whisky topping and perhaps a hint of chocolate. It takes a light easily, and at first I detect a hint of soapiness (oh dear, not the dreaded curse of Erinmore!), though this soon gives way to some subtle florals. As it burns though, I get more robust scents of fresh leather and old rope. On relighting I increasingly get a woodsy scent like new-cut oak, which at times is so strong I wonder whether I'm actually burning the briar of the bowl (though no fear of this, as the bowl is well-carbonised). It's not a polite blend, in the sense that it can bite if not properly handled, and delivers a surprisingly decent nicotine kick. In all, I would class this as a proper, grown-up smoke of surprising complexity. But there's something else, something less tangible and for me quite deeply rooted; and it's in the room note. For all the rants about Three Nuns being nothing like it was in days gone by, there's something in the lingering note that's playing with my memory. My dad used to smoke Three Nuns when I was a nipper. I only know this from seeing the old, empty tins he used to stash in a drawer, as by the time I was old enough to notice, he'd switched to Clan (Clan! Was the man mad?) It's the scent of my earliest childhood. I also recall the exact same smell lingering in the public spaces of my youngest days: the railway station waiting rooms; upstairs on buses; and - it sounds bizarre in these health-obsessed times - the surgery of our old family doctor, a bear of a man who lived into his 90s and used to dispense pearls of medical common sense from behind a veil of pipesmoke ("Always go to work on a proper cooked breakfast, and never go to bed without a tot of good whisky inside you"). Some may consider this blend a bit cheap and cheerful. For me, it's so much more.

Pipe Used: Blakemar Rhodesian

Age When Smoked: From date of purchase

Purchased From: Online, from SmokeKing, a UK supplier

Mawnan Smiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mawnan Smiff (25)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

As a newbie piper (35 years a roll up smoker) I am going through as many OTC tobaccos as I can to find something that suits my personal palate. On a trip to Truro in search of a no longer trading tobacconist I eventually found a newsagent that had a reasonable variety of pipe tobaccos. Realising that of all he had to offer I had alreay tried bar one, I bought a 50g pouch of Three Nuns.

At home, freshly cleaned Parker at the ready I opened the pouch and stuck my nose right in there.....WOW.....what a gorgeous aroma.....surely I will enjoy smoking this stuff I thought. I thought is a truly lovely smoke indeed, slightly sweet but with plenty of tobacco flavours and very little (if any?) casing.

Slightly stronger than some folk find it but certainly one I will be purchasing again. I may mix a small dollop of this with an equal dollop of Clan (not a favourite of mine) which I have hanging around to see if I can mellow it a little but if that doesn't work out I will still be happy to smoke this again exactly as is from the pouch.

One thing I did notice was how quickly I got through the first bowlful, something like 15 minutes whereas the very same pipe filled with say Condor (RR) will last me a good 40 minutes or so. Odd is that.

Pipe Used: Various 'basket' pipes + a rather nice Parker.

Age When Smoked: Fresh.

Purchased From: Newsagent in Truro (Cornwall).

Similar Blends: Not sufficiently qualified to say but not a million miles from Condor RR..

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I love three nuns in the pouch. It is a very old smoke for me and the pouch makes it so easy to take out. It goes in and out of my rotation as a daily smoke. At this point I keep a three year supply on hand. When I open a pouch I smoke it and the leftovers get tossed into the jar. The next day I just grab a new pouch. It always smells better in the jar. It lights very well and burns so smooth. Ash is pure white. No globs here. Taste is stright forward and if you are not a mad puffer you will get the flavor. This is one of the few I will smoke in anything. No ghosting or harsh clean up. I push one pipe cleaner in when done and walk away.

Pipe Used: All Types

Age When Smoked: pouch

Purchased From: London England

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (135)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I've had a few pouches of this over the past couple of years, so I'm surprised I had not got round to writing a review for it. oh well, I'm here now so let's get it done.

The pouch aroma is one of fruits, earth tones and hay, very pleasant. Packing and lighting are easy enough. The first time I smoked it, many moons ago, I found the first few smokes a little rough, not impressed. But I persevered and over the course of the pouch this tobacco revealed itself to me. There are wafts of fruit, hints of hay and some deep earth tones that turn this tobacco into a pleasure to smoke. There is a hint of some kind of topping or casing on here but the smoke is none the worse for it.

I had not heard complementary things about the pouch version of this prior to picking up a pouch and those first few smokes seemed to back them up. But this tobacco has won me over, maybe not enough to keep it in stock but enough to buy it on at least a semi-regular basis. If you've not tried it give it a shot, and don't go for a sample, go for a pouch.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Cuban Cigar Club

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

What a fabulous aroma, it smells like a tobacconist in a pouch! It takes me back to the smell inside an old tobacco shop I used to visit with my dad when I was a kid. If you like the smell of tobacco then get some of this as it is by far the fullest/natural smelling blend out there, I want it bottled as aftershave! On the lower side the pouch it comes in seems tightly packed, it's nothing major but I think a slightly bigger pouch would make things more tidy when loading! Mine is a touch too moist, it isn't wet but I take out a small pinch and leave it for half an hour. As I mentioned I like the aroma, so with that in mind I can't wait to get my pipe lit! I have to say, with great gratification, the flavour lives up to the smell! The taste is a very deep one, the tobaccos are evenly balanced with an almost nutty quality to the smoke. The burn is a stupendous one, it doesn't require much time with the flame to get it going and once it's lit it stays that way unless the pipe is put aside for a length of time. This is 'nicotine friendly', quite mild and for my satisfaction I have to inhale a big puff of smoke. I notice how the reaction to this is a little mixed so we must remember that different blends suit different palates and this one really suits me! Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2014 shape 03

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I have seldom found a blend that i can simply describe as being a pouch of tobacco. This blend really is just that.

Dont get me wrong, it is not disagreeable in any way, it just does not stand out im afraid. I taste the Virginia and the Kentucky and together they are good. I have a pouch in my desk drawer and will fill my pipe with its contents if i see it first, i just dont go looking for it.

It burns well, smokes cool with no bite.

All in all a good tobacco, just not memorable in any way.

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: London

Similar Blends: Toyota Camray, Nissan Almera, Ford Mondeo.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (169)

My review is based on one out of two old pouches, bought some many years ago (2000-2001) before TN (both the pouch and tinned version) disappeared from Italian tobacconists. The pouch is just like the one pictured above, it just show the word Mixture instead of Tobacco. It was made in England by Imperial Tobacco Limited Liverpool. I had read somewhere this is the popular version, probably the scraps coming from the production of the curlies (of the time) going in the tin. I think it may easily be that. This is not a bad tobacco, not at all. I would buy it if still available at a decent price. It falls in the VaPer category, on the mild to medium side of strength. The flavor is typical of VaPer’s: ripe fruits with a faintly piquant note, partially reflecting in the room note – of cookies – which remains quite neutral and unoffensive. If some flavouring help, it should be very minimal. Mild in the body. Burns nice but needs care to avoid hot smoke and bite. Bowls from medium to large are preferable, avoid the small ones.

Pipe Used: mainly straight Castello's

Age When Smoked: some 15 years old, maybe more

Similar Blends: Elizabethan Mixture ?.

Waxerboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Waxerboy (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Having placed my order my first impression on arrival was disappointing. The tobacco arrived in a cheap plastic wrap and the colour was much lighter than I remembered. Course cut as against the coin version of old. On checking, the packaging colour and writing looked like the original without the word ORIGINAL. OK let's move on. I took a cleaned pipe noting I never use the same pipe two days running. On lighting I found the first taste impressive, mild and pleasant on the palat. The burn was excellent and the pipe bowl remained cool throughout. No tongue or lip burn and continued to give an even pleasurable smoke to the end with little ash. I'm trying various tabaccos to find the penultimate smoke and would recommend this as a canny smoke, but not absolutely perfect, just enjoyable.

This is one of those blends that I really should have taken the time to check out the reviews prior to buying, but I like all of the tinned versions of Three Nuns so I didn't do it. To make matters worse, I bought two aged pouches of this. In short, this bit like a rabid dog. I smoke a lot of different blends and am fortunate in that I seldom get tongue bite. I smoked this in small bowls, large bowls and everything in-between. I tried different cadences and different levels of moisture. I never made it through the first pouch and didn’t have the heart to pass on the other pouch. I think just about every tobacco has some redeeming quality so I seldom toss out a single star review. The only reason I did it here was because there isn’t a zero star option. I do wonder if, like the tinned version, there were different pouch versions too?

Blueplume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blueplume (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I spotted this when buying some Marlin flake at my local tobacconist so decided to give it a go. When I got home my heart sank. As I took the pouch out of the bag it felt like it contained Shredded wheat, goodness knows how long it had been on the shelf. I pressed ahead and tried it expecting the worst.Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find a perfectly acceptable smoke with a subtle sweetish flavour. Of course it burned down the bowl a little too quickly owing to the dryness but I was impressed. " I must get a fresh pouch of this to compare" I thought and duly ordered one online. It arrived, moisture content as it should be, and I fired a bowl up. Hmmm, no nice sweet tones greeted me this time and though it behaved itself bite wise it offered nothing that would make it a regular purchase. I even dried it out hoping to recapture the glory of the previous pouch to no avail. I'd say this is not too bad "cooking" tobacco, a step up from Clan but only just. It certainly got me thinking about how the nature of tobacco can change due to ageing, moisture content , which pipe is used - there are so many variables and that is part of the fun of this hobby.

Pipe Used: Falcon, donegal rocky, Dunhill

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

oh dear i took the plunge and bought a 50g pouch of this and i wish i didn't, where the idea of 'none nicer' fits into it i will never know, the aroma is quite nice in the pouch but that's it. its tasteless to me but its easy to keep lit, i wont be buying this again, but i do enjoy going through tobaccos and finding the bad ones and the nice ones but this for me is a bad one, i will finish the pouch and move on.

Nathan90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan90 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice smoke. Lots of tastes and defiantly one I would recommend. Not very good at staying light but I may of smoked it a little to wet so make sure it's dry before smoking it.

This is the pouch version, not to be confused with the tin version, where the tobacco is coin cut. Outside of the having the same name, their chief similarity is that both are tobacco products. The rubbed, pouch version of Three Nuns tastes sludgy; no nuance, no subtle flavors, and tastes like cheap tobacco. The tinned version in any incarnation is superior. This one is course cut with different colors. I see some perique, bright Virginia, and little pieces of a dark Virginia. The flavors are a little spice, citrus, mild dark fruit, grass and slight earth. The nic-hit is mild. Dry in the pouch, it burns well... too well, because it's a tongue scorcher, and I'm not a fast smoker. It may have some of the same ingredients of the coin version, but the resemblance really and truly ends with the name of the tobacco.