Soft and aromatic blend of all AAA burleys.

Notes: Prior to 1864, Red Burley was the type of Burley grown in Kentucky. The Civil War was raging and because of a scarcity of seed, George Webb purchased what was available. This new variety, White Burley, proved to be superior and forever changed smoking history. This soft and aromatic blend of all AAA Burleys is testimony to that fact.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Kentucky
Packaging1.5 oz.

Visit company website

Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
2.3
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild light and dark Kentucky burley blend with a very light cocoa note, a hint of vanilla, abetted by some earthy, nutty flavors. There's a sprinkle of a topping that adds a very tame sweet essence that mostly disappears when you light up. A very small amount of Virginia acts as cooling base. There's not that much complexity here because it's designed to be an all day semi-sweet companion that burns well with no chemical taste to disrupt the experience. I do get more nuance of flavor when I use a wide bowl to smoke it in. Recommended for the OTC smoker who wants a break from drug store blends, and for those want to enjoy a good burley mixture with no bite or goop. If you like Kentucky burley, you'll enjoy this mixture.

cubs fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cubs fan (1)

This Burley blend is AWESOME!!!!!! This is a nice mellow smoke with no bite what so ever. It packs nice lights easily right out of the tin. It has a nutty flavor with a hint of vanilla. It burns to a nice white ash and keeps its mellow flavor all the way through the entire smoke. The room note takes you back to simpler times. If you are a fan of Burley tobacco's or are just looking for a nice mellow change of pace this is a must try. The only complaint I have about this tobacco is that it only comes in 1.5oz. tins.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I expected a full tasting Burley with a slight aromatic touch. Popping the tin and huffing the tin had me looking forward to firing up a bowl. Well that's where it went downhill, after filling the pipe and a char light I knew this wasn't going to go well. As I got the bowl going the blend was hot and flat tasting, the aroma was alright but it was tasteless. I smoked it in three different pipes and it was the same, even in a Meershaum. I always have some BCA on hand for just this occasion. I ended up at about a 50% mix, then waited a couple weeks for it to marry together. Well that saved the day the BCA sweetened up the Burley and slowed the burn rate down. It still starts out a little hot but settles down quick. The BCA is the dominant tobacco, it burns clean and has a pleasant sweetness, As for Planter by itself, you can forget about it!

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Sutliff Private Stock KENTUCKY PLANTER

Soft and Aromatic Blend of all AAA Burleys

Tin Notes: A Nice Sweet Smelling, Slightly Moist and Sticky Tobacco Mixture with a whiff of Vanilla or sugar casing

The Burn: This is an all around good tobacco blend - not overly sweet - mild smoking mixture. Easy to load, Easy to light and smokes from start to finish with no problem One of my favorite Sutliff products for those times that i like to smoke something mild

Room Note: Great !

My 5 Star Rating = 3.5

Pipe Used: Pipestone, Corn Cob, Briar

Purchased From: sutliff, pipesandcigars.com

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tin was obtained as a sample from this year's Chicagoland pipe show. For this review, a Peterson Donegal 106 Rocky was used.

I'm not partial to aromatic pipe tobaccos. However, I do give them a try once in a while so as to better "educate" myself. I'd like to be able to provide some sensible suggestions should one ask me for my recommendation. I try not to be bias, and I do try keeping an open mind and rate aromatic blends for what they are.

Upon opening the tin, one can detect an aroma which registers to be something like vanilla. The Moisture level was okay, and the tobacco packed well. Strength is not present in this tobacco. Finishing the entire bowl was an agonizing task as the taste was so bland. The tobacco did burn well, all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. I had to relight only once, but that was due to smoker's error.

So far, in the Sutliffe aromatic line, there is only one blend I can recommend, this definitely is NOT it.

As the first reviewer of this blend, I was hoping to write a good review. However, it is what it is. I am NOT RECOMMENDING this at this time.

Maxim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maxim (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really wanted to try this tobacco. Besides, this is my first tobacco Sutliff. Tin beautiful, when I opened it, felt a sweet aroma. I am not a fan of aromatics, so was disappointed. I was waiting for something else. As well moistened tobacco tin and cut finely enough, but smoking is not as not affected. Light smoke, sweet taste. People around like flavor. I do not regret that bought this tobacco, but more of it will not baying.