A quality blend consisting of milder Virginia tobaccos, some air-cured Burley and fine Oriental tobaccos.

Notes: This comes in 2 cuts - a fine ribbon (in bulk) for pipe, and a fine shag (in pouch) for RYO.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blended ByPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a thin ribbon that comes fairly dry. I found it to be a mellow Virginia with just enough orientals to keep it interesting and enough burley to give it some body. This is a very impressive smoke - especially at the price. This is a solid three that may be a four by the time I am done with this 8 oz bag. If you want to try a mild VaBur with some oriental spice, you owe it to yourself to try this. I smoked this in a pipe BTW, although some of the other reviewers are treating this as a cigarette tobacco.

"JY" Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
"JY" (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Sold as pipe tobacco, reviewing as RYO/MYO cigarettte tobacco. Bag aroma is impressive, dominated by topping, makes me want to eat it. Flavor bomb with near perfect balance. Almost no aftertaste, extremley well done. Flavor best decribed as plain old homemade brownies with walnuts. For me, best served fresh with maximum moisture as supplied. If left to dry out, the flavor fades, starts to become coarse/woody/veggie like. Good value. Much credit to the mfg, my favorite combination of forward topping flavor and extremely well balanced virginia/burley/oriental blending.

Edited 5/23/12: Smoking my third lb from two sources. Consistancy has been very good. I only stuff/roll/smoke one at a time. Stuffs poorly because of the moisture level. Worth the effort! Will not smoke if cigs sit around or tobacco drys out, flavor always fades and always developes the woody/veggie taste. Volatile flavorings? Served fresh as possible, still fantastic/favorite RYO/MYO smoke. Four stars!

PS - When not inhaled, almost no flavor. Can see why not the greatest pipe smoke.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This blend works best for RYO cigarette especially when inhaled, it is mild, smooth tasty and creamy(as cigarette) however, if smoked as a pipe tobacco it is bland and tasteless.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias are citrusy sweet, grassy and hay-like. The burley is mildly nutty, toasty sweet, adding a little substance. The Orientals are smoky, woody and spicy, and are evident in every puff, but do not dominate. While the Virginias act as a base for the other components, they tend to take the lead more than the burley does. Burns at a more than moderate rate - being a shag cut - and should not be puffed at a fast pace, or you risk the presence of it burning hot as well as getting a cigarette taste. The flavor is consistent to the finish. Has a mild nic-hit, leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and the after taste is pleasant. The Orientals tend to make for a woody room note. An all day smoke if you're so inclined. More of a two and a half star blend than a three.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I ordered this online, labled as PS #80, and a Norwegian Blend. Reminds me of ryo cigg tobacco. A salty taste, not much dimension to this blend. I didn't detect the orientals which it claims to have in the mix. I'm glad that I only purchased a sampler ounce of this stuff. To me it was akin to a Camel non-filtered ciggarette.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I agree with TKPipe and Kilmarnock Piper - this is a one dimensional mostly-Virginia blend that is not bad, but not great. It lights and burns really well and offers no heat or tongue bite issues. If there's a casing, I missed it. I'll probably keep some around for the nicotine hit, but it isn't a contemplative smoke.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

PS Norwegian … This tobacco is straight medium brown in color, and is cut into fine longish strands. My guess this stuff would probably make a pretty good RYO cigarette tobacco, but IMO made a oh-hum pipe tobacco. Very mild, burns fast, (but cool) can easily be over packed, gave me a slight throat irrational and in my opinion, not much flavor. Not that this stuff is horrible, it does have it' own character that some may enjoy, but personally, I find PSN lacking in too many areas that I enjoy in my blends.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

One can get this tobacco and its kin for $20 a pound. It used to be marketed as a RYO, but has been redone as a fine cut, "multi-purpose" blend. There are certainly better pipe tobaccos by Stokkebye and other blenders, but what a value! I plan to try all of these. Lilbrown is the place to get them. The Norwegian is not elegant, and is sort of like a Euro Half & Half. It is good for blending, but I can enjoy it straight as well. Will I smoke it every day when I have the Luxury Flakes, SG/GH and McClelland around? No, but happy to have some in reserve.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)

Being of Norwegian ancestry, I was eager to try this blend. It comes dry and ready to smoke. A nice, smooth smoke, but a little boring to me. (No wonder the Norwegians hibernate in the winter.) I want to see some Latakia in there to flavor it up. But, then that makes it an English, and you'd have to change the name.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Billiard

Xnapalmchild Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xnapalmchild (3)
Mild None Detected Full Unnoticeable

I am reviewing this solely as a ryo cigarette. It was excellent the flavor is something new to me. It's not a bad new at all out of my order I made this was my favorite. Inhales great not inhaling its flavorless and not so great. I highly recommend for anyone trying ryo/myo and want something differnt but good if you like full flavored cigarettes.

Pipe Used: RYO/MYO

Age When Smoked: 24

Purchased From: P&

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Its more of a cigarette tobacco than a pipe. It is not at all like a Marlboro in my opinion. Its a smooth smoke but has a bit of a lemon zest flavor. I find its good for cigs however Its not one of my favorites and I wont order it again.

Pipe Used: RYO

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (9)

Another of Stokkebye's pipe/MYO blends, except in this case I really wouldn't recommend it in a pipe at all. It just doesn't have the body. For MYO purposes, I can put the flavor pretty succinctly -- Marlboro Red. I haven't tried a blindfold test, but I'm sure I'd have problems identifying the Norwegian from Phillip Morris' old stand-by.

This isn't a bad thing, as it carries all the same pluses, caramel aroma, creamy taste, good strength. However, it also carries the same minuses, mainly dryness on the inhale leading to a pretty scratchy throat. But, it's safe to say if you gravitate towards Reds when picking up pre-rolled, then Stokkebye's Norwegian is for you.

Pipe Used: Mascotte Tubes

Similar Blends: Marlboro Red.