This delightful, full-bodied blend is spun into a rope, by hand, then flavored with whiskey for your enjoyment.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutRope
PackagingBulk:
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Neat twisted brown rope with streaks of various shades of brown. From the mason jar in which I store this, the note is of dried fruit, subtle, yet intriguing. I slice 1/8" coins from the rope using a shaving sharp Inuit ulu. Lightly rubbed to open up, and gravity fed, this stays lit after charring and tamping. The initial draws are wonderful. Minute sweetness with a tiny hint of whiskey. Room note is subtly sweet.

This will give "nic-ups" if guzzled. Sips and savouring with nasal exhalation allows full flavour enjoyment. One hint I would like to share is load a pipe and allow to sit a couple hours, this allows some of the moisture to leave.

Pipe Used: Several Pete's

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (14)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This seems to be the only place to put this review. Haven't been able to sort out the 'new brand' or 'new tobacco' forms, and this tobacco isn't listed elsewhere on the site.

The tobacco I'm referring to is produced by Gawith Hogarth under their Kendal label. It is simply called 'Whisky', and is ready rubbed. It is packed in a yellow pouch. The tobacco characteristics are described as 'a blend of sweet Virginia, aromatic burley and doubly fermented black Cavendish. A smooth smoke enhanced by the distinctive aroma of Whisky.'

I bought this tobacco yesterday in a confectioner/tobacconist shop just round the corner from the main gates of Canterbury Cathedral in England.

First impression, when pouch opened, is of a sweet, peachey aroma with distinct whisky edge. The tobacco looks to be mostly moist black Cavendish, with flecks of dark brown from the other tobaccos. Pipe is packed easily, but the mix doesn't light so easily, due to the moistness. However, once you get going you'll only have to relight very occasionally.

The burn is nice and slow and smooth, and the taste is pleasant. You will not, however, get a strong whisky flavour - in fact that's barely discernible. This is in contrast to Player's Whisky, where the whisky aroma is very distinct. However, this Gawith Hogarth effort seems a tad classier.

As usual, I guess I'll need to sample several pouches over time to fully understand this tobacco, but initial impressions are favourable enough, and include the fact that you get absolutely no burn or bite.

The room aroma is pleasant but not at all strong or distinctive. The whisky is there in both smoking and room experience, but is very understated.

After several pipefuls, I'm enjoying this tobacco more each time. Overall, it seems like quite a classy mix from an undoubtedly classy manufacturer. It's not a life-changing baccy, though, but certainly one to have in your armoury.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Similar to the other brown twists, but with a detectable whiskey flavor. I find it quite delicious and rewarding to smoke or chew. Since I've been (literally) whittling away at a collection of Gawith twists, my technique has been improving as has my enjoyment of these very fine tobaccos. I've yet to try them in a wide bowl as I smoke cobs, none of which are wide. I've recently dedicated a trio of tiny MM Mizzou cobs to the twists and find them perfect for the job. And have enjoyed the full pipe experience with the changes of characteristics etc.

As far as prep goes, I use a pair of very sharp and not too thick scissors to make very fine angled cuts around the perimeter of the twist. Picking apart the clumps and then drying in an empty Altoids tin works well and alows me to make some up ahead of time for future bowls. Even dried, these twists are slow to go and a Zippo Pipe lighter really helps. I've also mixed in a litle bit of Gawith Dark Birds Eye, which improves the ease of smoking considerably. The tiny Mizzou Cobs are the perfect dose for me, so no concerns about strength here, just pipe smoking at its best. Smokingpipes has been an excellent vendor for Gawith products; I find their ounces heavy (1+1/8) and their inventory more reliable.

Finally a somewhat novice description of the smoking experience... A slightly persnickety second lighting is usually followed by a short period of sweet dark virginia flavor. Typically, a relight is needed and a rich creamy flavorful smoke follows. The flavoring is natural and subtle and definitely a light whiskey, mingles with the full sweet caramelized Virginia. This is an enjoyable smoke right to the bottom of the bowl. Not much tamping, but perhaps lifting out a little ash helps. After smoking, I have a very pleasant taste in my mouth without any strong odors in my beard - a very nice after dinner and bedtime smoke. Great with a shot of Southern Comfort and a glass of very cold water!

Pipe Used: MM Mizzou COB

Burn = 8;

After Taste = 7;

Raw Score = 46;

Rated Percentage = 77%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, sort of a Bitter Whiskey Flavor, lots of BTU to Ignite, not a very enjoyable smoke.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

this is a strong blend but dont let that deter you from trying it it took a little work to get it ready for smoking but once that was done it was worth the wait its got a lot of vitiman n in it so i recomemed sitting down while smoking this one buti will continue to smoke it maybe not as much as my frog morton but it will have its spot

Medium to Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

Thanks to fellow reviewer SteelCowboy for gifting me a slab of this delightful rope. Preparation time was necessary to get this tobacco just right for smoking. I used a Bowie knife and thin sliced myself a few discs. I left the discs in the open air to dry out overnight. I then rubbed out the dried leaf as best I could and loaded up.

The strength hits you in waves as does the deep, dark, Virginia flavor with the usual hints of Lakeland floral. I also tasted the whiskey notes deep in the background. Being a veteran of G&H plugs, I did smoke this blend in a pipe with a group-3 sized bowl. I didn't fall off my horse but did need a tight reign. If you're ridin' legs aren't up to snuff then you may want to avoid this one. It's got the strength of a Hookin' Bull.

Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first rope, so keep that in mind.

This cut up easily. Despite drying for two hours, this was difficult to get lit, but once fully lit it stayed lit pretty easily. The whiskey comes up periodically, but is more an aftertaste than in the smoke. About 1/3 way through I got some mild Lakelands in the aftertaste as well.

Strong N (unsurprisingly) -- I won't be smoking this while driving.