Virginia flake made of Virginias from Africa, Brazil and USA, with the addition of Kentucky and black cavendish. Medium strength.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Kentucky, Virginia
Strength
Very Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Unnoticeable, Very Pleasant
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Paul Olsen - No.42 (My Own Blend).

I've noticed with the My Own Blend flake tobaccos, the contents of the tin consist of either lots of small-medium rectangles, or a lesser amount of very long flakes. This belongs to the latter of the two: 8 long flakes speckled with some light and black flecks. Sometimes, when I crack open a 100g tin I wish it was available in a smaller amount as I'm stuck with it, other times I could jump for joy I've got so much! Right now, if it wasn't for the inconvenience of sustaining a head injury in the past, I'd be jumping!

The smoke from No.42 is thick, soft, and delicious; absolutely satisfying. The Virginia doesn't hog all of the stage; as well as the grassy notes from the Virginia, the Cavendish delivers a sublime vanilla sweetness, with the Kentucky filling out the smoke. This fantastic flavour can be appreciated even more due to there being no tongue bite. It just gets even better; the smoke is also of a great temperature, helping the flavour to be savoured! And finally, the nicotine's perfect for me; mild.

I find this a brilliant blend: highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Jekyll and Hyde #05

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (75)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This exotically named blend is the usual top notch quality from My Own Blend. A middle of the road virginia with a delightful summertime fragrance.

The first bowl is lovely. But from there on in it's oral chemical burn.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billiard

Age When Smoked: New.

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop (nice chaps).