A classic mellow, sweet, and nicely balanced mixture of Orientals, Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, and Black Cavendish. An English blend that is just complex enough yet mild enough to smoke anytime of day or all day.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.6
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was lucky enough to receive a few ounces of Owl's Head prior to its formal release and I must say that Rich really did a great job with this "heavy on the Orientals" new English blend. Although true for most pipe tobaccos (IMHO), Owl's Head really benefits from being well dried before smoking. I prefer my English blends to have an underlying sweetness, (think Legends, 965, Magnum Opus) and Owl's Head leans more toward sweet than savory, although there is enough of each to make for a very enjoyable blend. The Latakia plays more of a supporting role here. I am alway cautious of English blends that add cavendish, but in the case of Owl's Head, it was smartly done. However, if you prefer an English/Oriental blend that is on the stronger side with more of a nic kick, this may not be your blend. 4 Noggins continues to produce high quality house blends and Owl's Head is no exception. Highly Recommended.

pipincool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipincool (3)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First whiff of this tobacco upon opening the bag is strong latakia. I thought I was at the campfire and was going to be knocked away. I let it dry awhile and packed it into a new cob. I was sure it was going to be way too strong, like Maltese Falcon - that's what it reminded me of.

But from first draw to last, I found Owl's Head to be one of the most flavorful, balanced tobaccos I've ever smoked and I've smoked a pipe for 40 years. None of the tobaccos dominate but all compliment each other and add their own touch. Use of black cav is particularly well done - because each puff finishes slightly sweet. Not candy sweet but high quality cavendish sweet.

We're not talking candy and we're not talking steak - just high quality tobaccos working together in a way that I have to admit is among the best I've tasted. Better than 965, Penzance. Let's just call it a great American-English. Burns and tastes the same throughout the bowl. I'll definitely order a bigger quantity next time. I wouldn't necessarily call OH an all-day smoke because it's too good to enjoy more than once or twice a day. 4 stars, deserved.

Age When Smoked: New/Dried

Purchased From: 4noggins

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

An well balanced, complex mixture, the components cannot be easy perceptible, no Latakia predominates, but... Black Cavendish addiction, give sweetness to the mixture.

So Called as English mixture (Latakia, Virginia and Orientals), really is an Americam Mixture (Latakia, Virginia, Orientals and Cavendish).

The result is splendourous, great blend. One more for my favorites, together with Chipman Hill and Penzance.

Superior even to some benchmarks, as 965, EMP, NightCup, Presbyterian.

djh985 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
djh985 (2)

I got this as a sample when purchasing some other tobaccos from 4Noggins. I will be ordering more. The tobacco is blended very well as to where no one type overplays the other. The cavendish plays a very minor role to the orientals and virginias and the Latakia lends a slight smokiness to the blend. Even though I am usually not as into Latakia blends as I am va's and vapers I am slowly getting addicted to this blend. Two thumbs up Rich.

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (10)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a something of an oddity - a faithful smoker of Continental (Danish, German) aromatics for over 30 years now. Yet this is my favourite non-aromatic tobacco, discovered after I got a sample from Rich. There is enough in it to keep me interested with distinctive note of orientals and some hints of latakia, but not so prominent as to put me off (since I do not normally choose to smoke latakia). No casing to be detected (if any it is so slight so as to be negligible). The addition of Cavendish keeps it all in a familiar perspective for a continental aro smoker like myself. Burns slightly moist at first and needs minor drying, but burns well leaving a fine dottle that retains shape of the bowl. Top marks for a fine blend, Mr. Gottlieb. I'll have more.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first impression of Owl’s Head was that it is somewhat sweet and smoky. I believe that the small amount of Cavendish adds the subtle sweetness to the blend. The Latakia shows itself more as I smoke further through the bowl. I can taste a bit of sourness in the back of my throat, but in a good way. I tried this blend when I was a new pipe smoker and did not like it. Now, two years later I find this to be a very enjoyable smoke. I’m glad I tried it again.

GarBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GarBear (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been looking for a favorite tobacco in the mild English class. With this tobacco I have found it. It is Oriental forward, tastes delicious, and burns nicely to the bottom of the bowl. Definitly try Owl's Head from 4Noggins if you too like this style. Now one of the handfull of tobaccos in my permant rotation.

pipeshomer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeshomer (4)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another home run for 4Noggins! What an easy, friendly smoke. Every component pulls together complementing one another. I am a big latakia fan but it is nice to have a blend in which the latakia has only a supporting role - it's there but it whispers. Burns well and it very gentle on the tongue, indeed it envelops the tongue like a warm cozy blanket. A very satisfying smoke that can be enjoyed anytime or all the time. Highly recommended!

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pouch is oriental forward, a curry-spiced, musty smell. A little caramel aroma I'm assuming from the cavendish. Latakia is there as well but not very prominent.

Light and first few draws are very similar to the pouch notes, this tobacco seems quite oriental forward, with a slight smokiness - but everything is blended and rounded out by a soft sweetness. The predominant flavor though is oriental, an almost salty and currylike spice that is really, really good. The smokiness adds a dimension not unlike the difference between a pan seared steak vs. a charcoal grilled steak. Nothing offensive and another very well balanced blend.

Room note was great, a rich and savory aroma that my wife complimented.

Nicotine was almost non-existent.

I liked this blend quite a bit. It compares quite well to my daily smoke of MM965, but I daresay the more prominent oriental notes in this blend make it even better than my daily smoke. Really good stuff.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Lovat

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: MyMixture 965.

I am basing this on a sample from 4noggins I got with an order. I am glad I tried it, and it was good. It is a fairly traditional oriental forward Va/Lat blend with the addition of black cavendish. I was not sure how that was going to work, but it provided some body. I think it worked with the latakia to give a very soft and creamy "mouth feel." I probably need to try a larger 4 oz sample to see if this one suits me well enough to buy by the pound.

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I've got a sample of this tobacco from Rich. It came slightly wet so I've dried it and tasted. Very “English” taste, Orientals and Latakia are perceptible. Nice and very mild smoke, but personally I prefer stronger mixes.

redraider2X1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
redraider2X1 (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

just as good as Balkan Sasieni. Great Stuff, keep up the good work 4nogs.