A very dark, almost black, English style mixture. A hearty
helping of rich, spicy Latakia is combined with matured
Virginia and shag cut black stoved Virginia. A true Latakia
lovers delight, which is surprisingly cool burning.
Medium/Strong - Savoury

Taste

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

With the coming of colder weather, I reach for English/Oriental mixtures. I had a tin of Day's End set aside for quite sometime, it has finally succumbed to the match.

In a word (or two): good stuff. The sweetness of the Virginias, the tangy sweetness of the Orientals and/or Perique, just enough Latakia, but not too much. I would be a bigger fan, and award a fourth star, but I do find it just slightly too sweet for my liking, maybe it's perfect for you?

As an aside...While I was going through my tin of this, for comparison's sake, I pulled out my last tin of Nightcap blended by Murray's. Time hadn't been good to Nightcap: it became bland and insipid. The seal of the tin was good, there was no rust. How sad! I would choose a tin of Day's End over an old tin of Nightcap in a heartbeat...

PuffedRomanian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffedRomanian (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Simply amazing, awesome nic hit and smokes great and tastes nice and spicy with a very very small hint of sweetness. Almost like milk and honey....very smooth

Krosham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Krosham (11)

I apologize to you Aromatic lovers out there in advance. Please forgive my inexperience

Having been the manager of a Cuban cigar store for years I have to say upfront that I certainly have developed a taste for stronger tobaccos. I have tried to enjoy a pipe on several occasions in my years but never really "got" what the big deal was. I was always finding I would pick up the cigars again and neglect the pipe for a few years before I would think "I must be missing something" and try again. The problem was I was always drawn towards the Aromatics. Well, I have decided after smoking 2 tins of this blend that the Aromatics were the problem. I found this blend to be the smokey, full flavored tobacco that I did not know existed. It lacks the chemical/additive notes that always left a poor impression on me. Now I can't wait to get home to walk the dog at night with a bowl of this stuff.

Now that I feel that I "get it" I am looking forward to expanding my pipe tobacco horizons (including aromatics ...I think buying the cheap drug store crap might have been part of the problem)

Recommended in my limited experience!

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)

I have tasted Dunhill's Night Cap only once, so I can not make a direct comparison between the original and Days End, Mr. B's variation on the Night Cap theme.

However, being a great fan of Latakia and English/Balkan blends, I can say that this offering has a generous portion of Latakia and a noticeable flavour note from the Perique.

Upon first opening, the tin aroma fairly burst forward with a complex tobacco aroma with a pleasing fermented fruity tang that was only faintly evident in the smoking. The tobacco was rather dry even at first opening. I immediately transferred it from the tin to an air tight glass jar.

I experience mild tongue bite when smoking it in a cob but none in my Peterson P-Lip. I suspect my over windy smoking style is the real culprit.

I quite like Days End and do tend to use it as my evening and late night smoke. I will probably buy more in the future.