A traditional English middle-cut blend of Virginia, Burley and Latakia. A touch of Périque spice tobacco has been added to further enhance the bouquet. A pipe tobacco with an extremely subtle and lasting flavour.

BrandDavidoff
2.6
VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

English blend indead! That's damn near false advetisement i was most put out by this so called blend, it was a waste of time and money.

It did burn well but other than that I have nothing good to report on it.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The worst thing about this mixture is, beyond any doubt, the name. We're used to see English Mixture in tobaccos that've got a definite topping and sometimes a moderate casing, but naming English a mixture with a clear topping, no Orientals, almost no Latakia and no Virginias dominance is beyong anyone's imagination.

Anyway, this tobacco will hardly fit any categorization whatsoever. No casing for an aromatic and too much Burley for a VaPer, the closest one can think is a Scottish Mixture, mainly because this term has so many different definitions.

To the point: a very fine mixture with burley as the main leaf, nicely balanced with bright virginias, a good dose of perique and just a pinch of Latakia (around the same amount than Royalty), topped with some whisky. No tongue bite and good burning characteristics complete a solid pipe tobacco that can be enjoyed if one's mind is rid of categorizations.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have mentioned, this is a tobacco that defies categorization. Unfortunately, Davidoff falls prey to their own blend by trying to name it, and doing so inaccurately.

I smoked an entire tin of this and could never put my finger on what was in it. There's some extremely mild casing on top of the light virginias but it's so subtle that it eluded me. It's an enjoyable if somewhat mono-dimensional tobacco. It simply did not develop for me. What I tasted on the first light is what I tasted on the last puff. There's something very comforting in that and hence, I consider this a comfortable smoke that I've enjoyed and may go back to from time to time but not one that I'll rave about to others. If it were a little less pricy, who knows?

Spitfire1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spitfire1 (8)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very little Latakia. Nevertheless a very pleasant smoke with a non-agressive room note. Burns well to the end of the pipe only leaving a little grey ash at the end. I liked this Tobacco nevertheless it has not enough character to me to keep it in the regular rotation and on top it quite highly priced.

Pipe Used: Peterson Bulldog

Very little Latakia. You might taste it two or three times during the course of a bowl. Can't taste any Burley. It smokes like a VaPer that is weak in Perique. On the upside, the Virginias taste pretty good. Mild to medium in body and flavor.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

cotech Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cotech (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I have to say this tobacco is a bit of a let down for me. On one hand it's a decent quality tobacco, on the other hand there's hardly anything special about it. It burns well, smells ok and seems to smoke cool....yet something is missing. There are no high notes nor does the taste experience change during the bowl. Flat might be a good way to describe it. Seeing it costs a bit more than other high quality tobacco's, I would pass this one by. There's just nothing remarkable about it. My tin is made in Denmark by the way.

I agree that this is not the best of the Davidoff line. It resembles, to a certain extent, Presbyterian Mixture and some of the 4 square Offerings. It is tasty, slightly astringent and piquant, with a pronounced Turkish flavor, though the Virginias are there alright. I don`t think there's any Latakia in this blend; if there is, it's basically anecdotical. English is not exactly a memorable smoke, and care should be taken because it can bite. However, this blend can be an interesting first tobacco for those new to the pipe or for those not yet familiar with the English/Balkan/Oriental melànges.

Happy New Year to everyone!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all, the tin I bought is made in England now, so it says on the side of the lid. It seems to be a mixture of very light tobacco's, probably VA and a lot of orientals and a few black specs, could be latakia. I could discern no flavouring other than a slight menthol! This is not what I expect in an English mixture!! Why they call it an English is beyond me, other than that it is manufactured in England. With a proper English I expect a nice and full latakia VA and oriental blend. This is just very light tobacco's with hardly a flavour to it other than that menthol! It is overpriced as well and I find nothing to recommend it unless you like a very light and flat smoke.

P.s. As side note, I had a good look at ratcat's review and the poetry he uses to describe this mixture. He could have a point though, maybe I am not in the right frame of mind to find any worth in this blend, comparing it to other English mixtures which Davidoff clearly does not aspire to. Beauty in the eye of the beholder then?

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend was not what I was expecting. The first bowl was very impressive, with a nice balance of flavour from the cavendish and the latakia. It burned fairly cool in a small-bowled pipe, and I was anxious to try it again. I was disappointed when this blend went from interesting to boring to nasty in the course of eight or ten bowls. The flavour of the cavendish took on a decidedly flat character, and the "aromatic" quality of the topping became cloying and unenjoyable. I have yet to find a Davidoff blend that I can confidently say is worth the steep price tag (this tin cost me the equivalent of $37 U.S. in Seoul, South Korea), but in my opinion Davidoff Royalty is similar to English Mixture with a more generous dose of latakia and a much milder casing. If this blend is the only thing in the store (like it was for me), I would recommend trying it out. Discriminating latakia fans, or even smokers who just don't like a lot of cavendish and a heavy, cheap-tasting topping, should probably look elsewhere.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (42)

Regardless of what others have written, I found this blend to be as satisfying and similar to the original 3 Nuns. Although this blend is not presented in little discs I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Pipe Used: my home made Bings favorite and a 50 year old Cob

Purchased From: my cellar

Edgy6gun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edgy6gun (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like Va/Per tobaccos, as I do, this is going to be a good blend for you. If you are a Lak'y, you might be disappointing. English blends, the way I understand them, should smell at least a little smokey. This doesn't. As someone else said, the true English blend offering from Davidoff (as I think of them) would be the Royalty.

Tasting Notes: nutty, raisins, no hint of artificial flavoring. Mild Virginia sweetness gets enriched by Latakia that never registers strong enough to be smokey, just adds a bakery note to the dried fruit of the Perique. Raisin bread!

This was the blend that turned me from a few-times-a-year-aromatic pipe smoker to an almost-everyday-Va/Per pipe smoker. Not because it is the best in any category but it opened my eyes (nose?) to the world of non-aromatics.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)

Love Royalty and Flake Medallions and will continue to smoke them from time to time as long as they're available. English Mixture is a very pedestrian tobacco in a very crowded arena and fails (IMHO, which being a review shouldn't need to be said) to justify being regarded as anything special. I found it a bit harsh and, hot and "un-English". The antithesis of its stablemate Royalty. In fact, the Latakia was hard to detect and the Burley tasted hot and bitter. Maybe just my tin but I think not. Probably just my taste. For many of you others, don't let me piss on your corn flakes. Enjoy it.

bavarian7castle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bavarian7castle (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco reminds me to Dunhill Royal Yacht but for me is not as strong like this. For me it is nearly an adequate substitute for my beloved no longer available Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture. Just worth a try for those who miss the Eliza. I´m glad having found it. Like other reviewers have mentioned it is no typical English Mixture with "Latakia taste and smell" but very satisfying. High quality stuff! Satisfaction is much depending of packing technique and pipe You are using. Best in small to medium sizes pipes due to medium cut. Very tightly packed when manufactured. Stir it up and let it air out referring to your preferencies after tin opening.

Smoke it "carefully" and You will enjoy it.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Just a lovely afternoon smoke, I must like it I just put 30 tins in the cellar.

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Virginia, burley,latakia and a touch of perique. Good tobacco quality with a slightly peppery but otherwise dull taste that remains long after smoking it and therefore not an everyday smoke. It burns well when packet correctly and does not leave residue significant of mentioning. As it is a "clean" tobacco it works well when blending it with Danish mixture or some of the other Davidhoff aromatics. I'll buy and smoke this on occasion but will mostly blend it with other aromatics that are too sweet to be smoked on their own.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

The first whiff from the newly opened tin prompted the thought that this was Royalty Light. Deep sniffs after a half hour of airing detected a faint figgish aroma in the background.

A disappointment in the bowl. Unless coming after a totally bland and charaterless blend, English Mixture does't taste of much. Yes, there is some very subdued oriental/latakia kind of presence, but not really noteworthy. Nor is this the gentlest misture on the tongue. Packing it firmly in a large pipe helps a bit. The tin declares it to be a medium aromatic, which leaves me totally confused because this is not an aromatic in either the American or the Continental use of the term. If by aromatic is meant the presence of turkish leaf, the presence is too mild.

The final disappointment is the room note. I am blessed with a family which adores the smell of pipe tobacco, but English Mixture drew negative comments. Cigarettish was the verdict, and I concur.

A hesitant two stars.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree that this is expensive - bought a tin at duty free at Singapore Airport and it was still significantly more expensive than tins of Peterson, Sam Gawiths and so on. I like it it: it has a pleasant raisin-like aroma, and is a pleasant smoke. There is a tendency to bite and it was perhaps a tad dry in the tin. Although I enjoyed it, with so many great tobaccos out there at a cheaper price, I'd be unlikely to buy it again.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To be honest, I don't know what's meant by "English" when it comes to pipe tobacco, my studies in the matter are yet to take me that far into the subject. However, considering my 50g tin cost me almost half as much again as my favourite smokes, I was hoping for a smoke good enough to blow my gentlemans bits off (sorry to be so crude). However, like the sordid little grief hole that is their Green Mixture, Davidoff have dropped the ball once again.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice tobacco, the slightly sweet, fruity, sultana scent from the tin is a pleasant one. Even the feel of the ribbon on the fingers is nice. Smoking the stuff follows on in a similar vein, giving hints of a half decent port on top. The room note isn't fantastic, but is pleasant enough, so is the general lack of tongue bite.

On the whole then, not a bad smoke, I just wonder how on earth Davidoff can justify the extra price. It's like paying for Bolinger and getting a decent Chardonnay, what you get is good, but you deserve so much better for your money.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (55)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

What is 'english' about the blend? I agree with the previous review. The smell in the tin is difficult to attribute to anything special, without trying to find inappropriate equivalents. Smoking is not very interesting. I have added some Latakia (see my review about the Wellaer blend) and that was quite satisfactory. A disappointing blend from the firm. It would be better if they would use their 'special reserve' or other names to brand it rather than 'english blend' which is not very appropriate.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)

More "hint of latakia" than typically English mixture, but I have learnt that Davidoff blends can be subtle/conservative.

This blend might be a good choice if you are curious about latakia, but not ready to commit to something where latakia is dominant.

This is all good, because this blend offers more than just a hint of latakia. There are tastes and nuances to be discovered here, and this tobacco might grow on you unexpectedly.

Although this is a very well-balanced blend, I don't find myself getting excited about it. It has a lot to offer, and I certainly recommend it, but I don't see myself smoking it that often.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)

Sadly, the Oxford English Dictionary holds no definition of 'English Mixture', but devout pipe-smokers the world over know precisely what that should mean; Davidoff English Mixture simply doesn't measure-up. Here, in the UK we have the 'Trades Description Act' - a law designed specifically for protecting consumers from misleading advertizing - Davidoff sail close to the wind here.

How can a pungently sweet, artificially cased mixture - absent of orientals (with or without Latakia),such that it's almost un-noticeable in the background be regarded as an English Mixture.

No, no - smoke it for what it is (not bad at all - I've tried worse), but don't buy it for what it definetely is not!

llazy_llama Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
llazy_llama (3)

A mild, easy smoking blend. The taste is simple, balanced, and neither requires nor benefits from much attention. A good choice for a car ride, as the room note is quite pleasant. Overall, a good tobacco. Not a great tobacco, but worth trying if you can find it at a decent price.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I must say this is not one of my recommended or favoured blends. I bought a tin of this from http://www.pipesandcigars.com to give it a shot. I have let the tin age out on the rack for about six months now, and it just has not gotten any better or any more interesting.

The leaf is cut nicely and packs quite well, but that is about all the positive feedback I can give. I am not sure how this tobacco qualifies to be an English blend personally. I detected very little Latakia (if any at all), but instead something that resembled a menthol casing.

It does burn quite cool, and leaves a pleasant room note, but I just can not get passed the menthol flavour it produces. The blend does not really change profile as it progresses through the bowl, and seems to just remain flat and uninteresting.

The tobacco was a bit soggy when I first popped the tin, so I put it on the rack for six months, and smoked a bowl from time to time. The leaf has dried out a bit, and behaves pretty well in the pipe, but still leaves a wide gap in my English tobacco needs.

I might say this would be a good choice for someone moving from aromatics to English blends, but I think I can recommend better blends for that especially at the price of a tin of Davidoff.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this blend from Cigar Emporium it stated being the Traditional English mixture. Now me being from California and never setting a foot in England I wouldn't know what a Traditonal English blend is like but this one wasn't....too bad. The perique kind of got in the way for me and the latakia is rather slim. My twin brother likes this blend a lot but for me it needs a little more of something.

It's not a bad tobacco; I really wanted to enjoy this one But the truth is I like GL Pease Maltese Falcon and Westminster better. Perhaps if they switched the amount of latakia and perique that would do the trick. I would recommend this blend for fans of VaPers. It might be a little too full for new smokers.

acyv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acyv (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

when I first tested, it came strange however after having a couple of breathes it became very delightful. I recommend this to every pipe smoker, at least once in a month you shall consume a tin easily.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A very nice, cool, tasty smoke. Easy to pack, light, and is satisfying. The flavor doesn't really develop and is not too complex, but that's okay.

The burleys taste great, as do the Virginia's. The perique is a nice touch, though the Latakia is pretty much in the background. I don't care much for labels so I won't complain that it's not a "proper" English blend.

It is what it is - simply, a very high quality pipe tobacco.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It good blend, however not VERY English indeed. It burns well, and it is easy to smoke in every occasion.

My rate: 4.0

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Update; against my better judgement I notice that I quit often grab this a a first smoke of the day. Maybe I'll buy some again :) bumped up to 3 stars...

I bought a tin in december 2009 and opened it straight away. I love Royalty, rate it 4 stars and could not believe Davidoff offering a tobacco as bad as English Mixture was being reviewed on this forum.

The tinnote was so sickeningly sweet and the taste so bad I put this tin in my "Not-Box". Now, in the middle of march I have experienced that several tobacco's I initially did not like became much better after they stood around opened and unsmoked for some weeks. So I decided to give English Mixture another chance.

The horrible tinnote has disappeared and now I smell almost pure tobacco with still a slightly sweet overtone I cannot recognise. Almost ok by my standards.

The tobacco looks great but is a bit sticky to the touch. Smoking it however is quite enjoyable and a good morning smoke.

Would I buy it again? Yes, but only if my favourites are unavailable... It is good to know a back-up tobacco exists.

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

"Traditional English Blend"?! I don't think it is. There is a bit of latakia, a bit of oriental and a bit of perique on a base which is mildly cased with something sweet. It's all just too mild. This tobacco may be recommended for very patient smokers with super-sensitive taste buds who are used to milder blends, I'm not one of them. Because of the high tempratures and tongue bite this releases while combusting it may be good for training your slow smoking technique. I only smoke it from time to time with my morning coffee, but I'm sure I'm not buying it again after the tin gets empty.

Tip: let it dry on a piece of paper for half an hour before filling your pipe.

DaveyH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveyH (2)

A really nice blend with lots going on so a very satisfying smoke that smells good. If I wasn't so completely under the spell of their Royalty blend I'd give it four stars.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a somewhat perculiar blend. Despite of what the tin says I can't help but to raise an eyebrow to the tin description of this being a traditional English mixture. It bears some resemblance to English mixtures, sure, but to me it fits more in the realm of the Danish blends than anything else. That being said, it is still an excellent mixture, and I see no reason to disqualify it in any way because of that.

It takes a little getting to know before you figure out what's going on with it. It's quite obviously cased, someone suggested a liquor of some sort. Not at all impossible, but either way it's nothing that detracts too much from the experience.

So bottom line: a good, very palatable English/Danish cross-over blend. Mild in strength, but rich enough to keep things interesting. Burley is very pronounced in this one. The virginias are a little anonymous, though, can't really put my finger on them.

I read somewhere that there's a pinch of perique in this blend, too, but if it's there, it's a very small pinch. The latakia is also very sparingly used, which I personally don't object too much to.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

- This is not an English blend

- This is not an aromatic blend

This is an excelent tobacco blend that need to be smoked very slow. read Ratcat excellent review below.

Miles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miles (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

My local tobaccoshop has all the Davidoff brands and I must say, the English Mixture has to be my alltime fav. This tobacco, of impeccable quality, is one of the best ever made. "Why?", one may ask. Well for me, this is the only tobacco that has so many flavors comming together in perfect harmony. The first few puffs are...in every way brilliant. Then, the full body comes out. aah yes...it builds up slowly bringing out...mmm yes that lovely cavendish tast... The two reviewers before me, Ratcat and Pipeweed have spoken wisely...

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

One of the worst thing you can do for a product is to give it a wrong name. This is a perfect example. It is call English Mixture, there is nothing English about it. On the tin, it is printed, aromatic. There is nothing aromatic about it except when you suck too hard on the charring light, you do get a mild whiskey like aroma detected only by blood hounds and cranky pipers. The charring of the very first top of the bowl you taste nothing, no lakatia, no sweet virginia nor exotic orientals. But there is somethnig there. Thinking hum.....this stuff is expensive and so there must be something there. So you chase the dragon. And then colors came out. The flavor is like soemthing familliar but you cannot out a finger on it. The mixture seem to be speaking to you in a perfect harmony. Like a fine dish that is dedicated to balance, you taste herbs but not knowing what combination of herbs. And so the chase continues and you'd find different flavor coming out like water color, mild and delightfull. And just when the flavor begins to take shape, like the sweetness of virginias coming very close to the surface, it fades and other flavor peaks. Hiding from you like a violin melody surfacing up and then sink back down into the bottom counter point. This is a very subtle smoke and must be approached with a delicate mind. If one have been doing heavy stuff all day, smoking this would be pointless. If one expect "English" or "aromatic" also would bring disappointment. There is no nuttie hooks or fruity surprises. It is just one of the ways in which people can engage deep thoughts in. I smoke a tin of this every 2 months. Its greatest draw back, besides the name, is the price.

Pipeweed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeweed (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a truly classic English Mixture. It is an attractive blend of light and dark tobaccos. There is a pleasant scent on opening the tin, the natural fragrance spiced with a tinge of latakia. It packs and lights easily and can be relied upon always to give a mild smoke, but never bland.

Obvious comparisons are with Dunhill?s best. This tobacco is perhaps somewhere in the middle between 965 and Nightcap, though to my palate the woodsy quality of the flavour seems superior. As with the latter, the blender has cleverly enhanced the recipe by the inclusion of a subtly distinguished seasoning of perique.

For the discerning connoisseur and newcomer alike, the secret to full enjoyment of this blend, like some fine wines, is to allow it time to breathe. It can be a little moist in the tin and I have found it best to decant the tobacco into an airtight jar and then leave it for at least a month to come properly to condition. Patience, a good pipe, and a little time set aside at any time of the day or a quiet evening to let the magic work - and you may be rewarded by the gentle pleasures this mixture has to offer. (Smoke it too moist and you will surely be disappointed.)

Davidoff English Mixture has a pleasant room note, according to the good lady (not dissimilar to Early Morning Pipe). It has become my constant companion on earth.

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a mild tasting weed; a very good one to clean your bowl after smoking those heavy latakia blends we all like. The quality of the tobacco is impeccable, but it remains a mild tobacco. Doesn't burn too quickly, no risk of burning your tongue. It lights well and stays lit if packed properly. The cavendish is evident midway through the bowl and provides a very pleasant roomnote. I'd keep it around, even though it's a little more expensive than the average pipeweed.

Uncle Stalky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Stalky (3)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Tin Aroma: Mild Latikia backed up by light VA's and cavendish.

Appearance: Long thin ribbons as with the Oriental mixture. Primarily light and dark browns with flecks of black.

Taste: Very flat, little to remark on, and no reason to recommend.

Burn: Takes light easily, but required a fair number of relights even when dry.

Summary: Totally lacks the richness of english blends. Not even a good mild aromatic. I would never buy this again.

Pipe: Stanwell bamboo.

KEF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KEF (13)

In the late 1990's I smoked this regularly. I smoked two bowls of this again this week. While described as an aromatic, I really don't taste or smell any casing in this tobacco except maybe the slightest raisin-y scent on first cracking a tin. Very light brown ribbon cut pressed in the tin (which is now about 3 yrs. old). Packs nicely, lights well. On lighting, the raisin or fig taste is apparent, but as it is smoked down the bowl the English blending takes over, and it reverts, for the last half, to the taste of a lighter and slightly sharp English blend. Not too much moisture, but a little bite if smoked quickly. I believe this has a touch of Perique, and the taste subtly reflects it. I enjoy this with a lighter Pilsner beer. For a stronger, more balkan/English taste, I've mixed this 50/50 with Ashton's Celebrated Sovereign. On the whole, a nice, lighter blend made with good tobaccos - very enjoyable and worth a try, even if a bit more expensive than some other tinned tobaccos. 8 out of 10. - Kelly