A traditional English middle-cut (a little wider than ribbon) blend of Virginia, burley and latakia, with a touch of perique spice tobacco added to further enhance the bouquet. This is a mild blend rich in tobacco flavors and backed by a touch of spice.

BrandDavidoff
Taste

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I read many of the reviews on this site before purchasing this blend and noted in particular the negative (sometimes bordering on hysterical) criticisms of its name by those proclaiming that this is not an English blend. Phrases like 'breach of the Trade Descriptions Act' being bandied about. Calm down.

Those making such complaints would have served themselves better by spending a minute or two on the maker's website where they would have observed that this is described as a 'subtle' blend. Subtle does not equate to bad, nor is it right to say this is not an English blend. It is.

A cool smoke, the Virginias and Burleys are to the fore, with Latakia and perique in the background. Some have spoken of a sweetness and some sort of casing, but to me it is the citrus of the particular Virginias that provides this.

All in all, a really pleasant, easy all day smoke. Very high quality tobaccos. The one negative that I would have to agree with is the room note which someone described as cigarette-like with which I would not disagree, but that in itself is not enough to demur from my 4 star recommendation. Lovely stuff.

Pipe Used: Peterson 05

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.com

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have mentioned, this is a tobacco that defies categorization. Unfortunately, Davidoff falls prey to their own blend by trying to name it, and doing so inaccurately.

I smoked an entire tin of this and could never put my finger on what was in it. There's some extremely mild casing on top of the light virginias but it's so subtle that it eluded me. It's an enjoyable if somewhat mono-dimensional tobacco. It simply did not develop for me. What I tasted on the first light is what I tasted on the last puff. There's something very comforting in that and hence, I consider this a comfortable smoke that I've enjoyed and may go back to from time to time but not one that I'll rave about to others. If it were a little less pricy, who knows?

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (152)

That's a very good quality tobacco.a low content latalia blend.when you open it you get the latakia but not very much.packs and lights easy.burns nice without getting hot.if you go slow you get mostly the nuts and spicyness .if you go hard you get some latakia.a nice blend to start your day but not to end it at late night.if you are into light english mixtures defenitelly try it!

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The worst thing about this mixture is, beyond any doubt, the name. We're used to see English Mixture in tobaccos that've got a definite topping and sometimes a moderate casing, but naming English a mixture with a clear topping, no Orientals, almost no Latakia and no Virginias dominance is beyong anyone's imagination.

Anyway, this tobacco will hardly fit any categorization whatsoever. No casing for an aromatic and too much Burley for a VaPer, the closest one can think is a Scottish Mixture, mainly because this term has so many different definitions.

To the point: a very fine mixture with burley as the main leaf, nicely balanced with bright virginias, a good dose of perique and just a pinch of Latakia (around the same amount than Royalty), topped with some whisky. No tongue bite and good burning characteristics complete a solid pipe tobacco that can be enjoyed if one's mind is rid of categorizations.

pylet2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylet2000 (33)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I think a lot of the lackluster reviews of this mixture come from a misleading name, and perhaps a bit of a steep price. Both are correct, it is more a mild Danish with only a faint hint of traditional English character that's maybe 20% more expensive than it should be.

But, it's also a very enjoyable smoke. I tend to like latakia forward English blends best, followed by milder Danish blends as my occasional "sweet tooth" crave. This scratches the Danish itch for me quite well really, I'll buy it again.

Subtly sweet and very mildly tangy, I enjoy this as a first smoke of the day. If you've already enjoyed a heavier smoke in a given day, you might miss the subtlety and calm presentation of this blend. Quality of the tobacco is top notch and I think where the price might come in (although Davidoff is generally an expensive mark, there's probably some "name brand" penalty too).

Forgetting the expectations of traditional English, and enjoying it as the first pipe of the day cast this blend in the right light for best enjoyment. It's actually a bit unique from just about any other "themed' blend, worth a shot.

Age When Smoked: 3 days after opening

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I would compare Davidoff English to Dunhill's Nightcap (Murray's version) except that it lacks the same depth, mainly due to the lack of unflavored black cavendish to give the blend heft. The Perique element is also a little more pronounced here. A quality blend with a solid presentation for those who like the mid range English fare with a dose of Perique.

Pipestud

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (13)

Excellent tobacco. It’s rich, pungent, leathery, & fragrant upon opening the tin. I love sniffing it all the time. Reminds me of Dunhill’s 965 and The Craven Mixture. Easy to pack and light. The flavor is medium, rich, sweet, tangy, earthy, & pungent. No tongue bite. The room aroma is very pleasant for an English Mixture. I’m a fan of English blends and Dunhill blends. And this one is similar yet unique and refreshing at the same time, and I can’t put my finger on it... but it is a great tobacco along that genre. Highly recommended !

Pipe Used: L. Viprati & other briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from shop

Purchased From: Davidoff of Geneva NYC 6th Ave

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965; The Craven Mixture.

Davidoff - English Mixture.

There are a few arguments as to whether or not this is a true English blend, me? well I don't care if it's an English, Scottish, or from the planet Mars!! On with the review:

The first thing that'll bother a lot of folks is the price, I paid £18.20+post for it... ouch, for that money it had better be good!

The first thing to give credence to the price is the moisture in a freshly opened tin: not wet, not dry, perfect; I want more for my money than just that though!

On to the taste, I detect absolutely zero Latakia: no woodiness or smokiness. The flavour I get is a lot more of a VaBur/VaPer/ VaBurPer (I'll use that term again LOL!). I can taste a bit more than just a 'touch' of Perique from it like it says in the description, it actually seems very sharp at times. The Virginia gives more flavour in comparison to the Burley; this, again, is very mild.

The nicotine's only a little above mild from this, Mild to Medium would seem a fair value.

I stated how I paid the best part of £20.00 for this and wanted it to be worth it; is it good value? No, it's not worth that much money, not when there's loads of choices for around £12.00. If it weren't for the price I'd give it three stars, but considering the price of it two stars is what it's going to get.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson #68

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

tobakkvarer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobakkvarer (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is probably the second or third tobacco I bought. I didn't know about the naming conventions for different blends. I just said jokingly "oh, it's English, it must be good."

I read the reviews and how sour people were towards it, particularly over lacking "English" qualities. One of the motivations for trying an English blend was to see what people are actually saying.

Right now, I don't have thepleasure to re-review the opening a new tin, taking a whiff of the tin note, feeling how moist it came out of the tin. All I remember was that it was quite a new smell for me. My supply is a bit on the dry side now (figuring that leaving it in the tin is fine until I read about the need for immediately jarring tobaccos.) What I can do is review it now that I have more of a palate for different tobaccos.

Coming out of my jar, the cut is actually quite good. Packing is very easy in any pipe I put this in.

This is a mild blend. There is a little bit of smokiness to it and a bit of nuttiness. The Oriental flavours are there, appearing a bit in the background but it is not as heavy as other Englishes I had. In fact, I think the Orientals tend to appear slightly more going through the bowl. They are more of an accent to the flavour than anything.

I am finding that this actually tastes better in my billiard shaped bowls than the other ones I have. I think they sort of help emphasize the condimental features of the blend a bit more. I feel though there is nothing surprising about the taste. This can be good or bad. To me, its fine and I am happy to smoke this.

The room note is sort of like a toasty smell. I like the smell personally.

Overall, I think I could go out and get another tin (and I can fill in the rest of the details if I do!) At the same time, I will sort of have to agree with other reviews in the sense that it doesn't really stand out as an English mixture. If so, it is an extremely mild version of the blend type. Because of this, I am going to deduct one star, but still recommend it.

Pipe Used: Peterson System Pipe, basket prince-shape pipe

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Pipenick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipenick (27)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well,got a tin English Mixture,smoked and ordered one tin more. Not bad blend at all.Opening the tin I got quite strong aroma of Burley,Lat on the backgroud,some orientals and little bit Virginia and slight Perique..after first light Burley and Perique with a twist of Perique. After the half bowl Lat comes in. Nice sweetness,not too much.Nice middle of the road blend.

Pipe Used: Pete Kildare,Savinelli da Vinci

Age When Smoked: Straight from tin

Purchased From: A Gift and local tobacconist

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)

Mr. Davidoff should give a raise for the guy who blended this, and fire the one who named this! That´s all!

I can´t tell what kind of mixture is this, it´s very excentric and unique, and also very good. The quality of the tobacco is top notch, but I can´t sense no latakia at all.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very good english blend. I usually smoke Dunhill but actually think Davidoff are much better. From the beginning till the end of the tin, the taste were really the same : smooth, tasty, rather strong but not too much, etc. I don't know if it's the best tobacco I've tried (I'm not a good reminder) but it's surely one of the best. I can't make a complete review, I'm not gifted to. I just can tell you it's a very good tobacco to me. Obviously if you don't like latakia or perique, pass your way :)

Spitfire1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spitfire1 (14)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very little Latakia. Nevertheless a very pleasant smoke with a non-agressive room note. Burns well to the end of the pipe only leaving a little grey ash at the end. I liked this Tobacco nevertheless it has not enough character to me to keep it in the regular rotation and on top it quite highly priced.

Pipe Used: Peterson Bulldog

Very little Latakia. You might taste it two or three times during the course of a bowl. Can't taste any Burley. It smokes like a VaPer that is weak in Perique. On the upside, the Virginias taste pretty good. Mild to medium in body and flavor.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

I agree that this is not the best of the Davidoff line. It resembles, to a certain extent, Presbyterian Mixture and some of the 4 square Offerings. It is tasty, slightly astringent and piquant, with a pronounced Turkish flavor, though the Virginias are there alright. I don`t think there's any Latakia in this blend; if there is, it's basically anecdotical. English is not exactly a memorable smoke, and care should be taken because it can bite. However, this blend can be an interesting first tobacco for those new to the pipe or for those not yet familiar with the English/Balkan/Oriental melànges.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (62)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

Moisture in tin is perfect. Very good smoking conditions. Basically it is a light, but not a traditional, classical English blend. In this sense the name of this blend is misleading. It’s more a kind of “Va/Bur/Per”. It can be a little harsh on the tongue if you draw too eagerly. Perique donates an obvious pepper aroma and very little fruit flavours. Bread and yeast notes from Virginia and nutty notes from Burley sparkle up occasionally. Latakia is extremely faint. Orientals, a must in a real English blend, are totally missing. Don’t look for complex tastes and deep flavours.

Even though I can single out each of the tobaccos, I find the blend lacks in harmony and determination. Unfortunately there is abundant artificial sweetness and other casing leaving some bitter traces. If Davidoff at all, I shall stick to their best, which is the Va/Per “Flake Medallions”; the only blend of the whole offer of this brand that I really like.

Age When Smoked: New, out of the tin.

Purchased From: Local tobacconist.

Roger Xavierq Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roger Xavierq (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

What to say about this? On opening the round tin (paper wrapping, cardboard lid duplicating the tin art) there is just a very, very faint tobacco scent. I get light prunes and figs, barely. The cut is of very, very fine ribbon. Moisture level seems to be on the dry side. Packs easy. Lights with one match, no relight necessary. Burns quick and hot;

You can tast the Perique at first but it goes away quickly, then comes the Burley, that also fades away and at the end the LAT. On finishing the smoke, latakia lingers on palate. Feels like I've smoked a far stronger and bigger LAT blend.

For me it's an okay blend that I will not buy again.

Age When Smoked: 2015

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)

Regardless of what others have written, I found this blend to be as satisfying and similar to the original 3 Nuns. Although this blend is not presented in little discs I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Pipe Used: my home made Bings favorite and a 50 year old Cob

Purchased From: my cellar

Edgy6gun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edgy6gun (7)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like Va/Per tobaccos, as I do, this is going to be a good blend for you. If you are a Lak'y, you might be disappointing. English blends, the way I understand them, should smell at least a little smokey. This doesn't. As someone else said, the true English blend offering from Davidoff (as I think of them) would be the Royalty.

Tasting Notes: nutty, raisins, no hint of artificial flavoring. Mild Virginia sweetness gets enriched by Latakia that never registers strong enough to be smokey, just adds a bakery note to the dried fruit of the Perique. Raisin bread!

This was the blend that turned me from a few-times-a-year-aromatic pipe smoker to an almost-everyday-Va/Per pipe smoker. Not because it is the best in any category but it opened my eyes (nose?) to the world of non-aromatics.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (43)

Love Royalty and Flake Medallions and will continue to smoke them from time to time as long as they're available. English Mixture is a very pedestrian tobacco in a very crowded arena and fails (IMHO, which being a review shouldn't need to be said) to justify being regarded as anything special. I found it a bit harsh and, hot and "un-English". The antithesis of its stablemate Royalty. In fact, the Latakia was hard to detect and the Burley tasted hot and bitter. Maybe just my tin but I think not. Probably just my taste. For many of you others, don't let me piss on your corn flakes. Enjoy it.

Pontificating Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pontificating Piper (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Virginia, burley,latakia and a touch of perique. Good tobacco quality with a slightly peppery but otherwise dull taste that remains long after smoking it and therefore not an everyday smoke. It burns well when packet correctly and does not leave residue significant of mentioning. As it is a "clean" tobacco it works well when blending it with Danish mixture or some of the other Davidhoff aromatics. I'll buy and smoke this on occasion but will mostly blend it with other aromatics that are too sweet to be smoked on their own.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

The first whiff from the newly opened tin prompted the thought that this was Royalty Light. Deep sniffs after a half hour of airing detected a faint figgish aroma in the background.

A disappointment in the bowl. Unless coming after a totally bland and charaterless blend, English Mixture does't taste of much. Yes, there is some very subdued oriental/latakia kind of presence, but not really noteworthy. Nor is this the gentlest misture on the tongue. Packing it firmly in a large pipe helps a bit. The tin declares it to be a medium aromatic, which leaves me totally confused because this is not an aromatic in either the American or the Continental use of the term. If by aromatic is meant the presence of turkish leaf, the presence is too mild.

The final disappointment is the room note. I am blessed with a family which adores the smell of pipe tobacco, but English Mixture drew negative comments. Cigarettish was the verdict, and I concur.

A hesitant two stars.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree that this is expensive - bought a tin at duty free at Singapore Airport and it was still significantly more expensive than tins of Peterson, Sam Gawiths and so on. I like it it: it has a pleasant raisin-like aroma, and is a pleasant smoke. There is a tendency to bite and it was perhaps a tad dry in the tin. Although I enjoyed it, with so many great tobaccos out there at a cheaper price, I'd be unlikely to buy it again.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To be honest, I don't know what's meant by "English" when it comes to pipe tobacco, my studies in the matter are yet to take me that far into the subject. However, considering my 50g tin cost me almost half as much again as my favourite smokes, I was hoping for a smoke good enough to blow my gentlemans bits off (sorry to be so crude). However, like the sordid little grief hole that is their Green Mixture, Davidoff have dropped the ball once again.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice tobacco, the slightly sweet, fruity, sultana scent from the tin is a pleasant one. Even the feel of the ribbon on the fingers is nice. Smoking the stuff follows on in a similar vein, giving hints of a half decent port on top. The room note isn't fantastic, but is pleasant enough, so is the general lack of tongue bite.

On the whole then, not a bad smoke, I just wonder how on earth Davidoff can justify the extra price. It's like paying for Bolinger and getting a decent Chardonnay, what you get is good, but you deserve so much better for your money.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (74)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

What is 'english' about the blend? I agree with the previous review. The smell in the tin is difficult to attribute to anything special, without trying to find inappropriate equivalents. Smoking is not very interesting. I have added some Latakia (see my review about the Wellaer blend) and that was quite satisfactory. A disappointing blend from the firm. It would be better if they would use their 'special reserve' or other names to brand it rather than 'english blend' which is not very appropriate.

acyv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acyv (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

when I first tested, it came strange however after having a couple of breathes it became very delightful. I recommend this to every pipe smoker, at least once in a month you shall consume a tin easily.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A very nice, cool, tasty smoke. Easy to pack, light, and is satisfying. The flavor doesn't really develop and is not too complex, but that's okay.

The burleys taste great, as do the Virginia's. The perique is a nice touch, though the Latakia is pretty much in the background. I don't care much for labels so I won't complain that it's not a "proper" English blend.

It is what it is - simply, a very high quality pipe tobacco.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It good blend, however not VERY English indeed. It burns well, and it is easy to smoke in every occasion.

My rate: 4.0

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (64)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a somewhat perculiar blend. Despite of what the tin says I can't help but to raise an eyebrow to the tin description of this being a traditional English mixture. It bears some resemblance to English mixtures, sure, but to me it fits more in the realm of the Danish blends than anything else. That being said, it is still an excellent mixture, and I see no reason to disqualify it in any way because of that.

It takes a little getting to know before you figure out what's going on with it. It's quite obviously cased, someone suggested a liquor of some sort. Not at all impossible, but either way it's nothing that detracts too much from the experience.

So bottom line: a good, very palatable English/Danish cross-over blend. Mild in strength, but rich enough to keep things interesting. Burley is very pronounced in this one. The virginias are a little anonymous, though, can't really put my finger on them.

I read somewhere that there's a pinch of perique in this blend, too, but if it's there, it's a very small pinch. The latakia is also very sparingly used, which I personally don't object too much to.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

- This is not an English blend

- This is not an aromatic blend

This is an excelent tobacco blend that need to be smoked very slow. read Ratcat excellent review below.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all, the tin I bought is made in England now, so it says on the side of the lid. It seems to be a mixture of very light tobacco's, probably VA and a lot of orientals and a few black specs, could be latakia. I could discern no flavouring other than a slight menthol! This is not what I expect in an English mixture!! Why they call it an English is beyond me, other than that it is manufactured in England. With a proper English I expect a nice and full latakia VA and oriental blend. This is just very light tobacco's with hardly a flavour to it other than that menthol! It is overpriced as well and I find nothing to recommend it unless you like a very light and flat smoke.

P.s. As side note, I had a good look at ratcat's review and the poetry he uses to describe this mixture. He could have a point though, maybe I am not in the right frame of mind to find any worth in this blend, comparing it to other English mixtures which Davidoff clearly does not aspire to. Beauty in the eye of the beholder then?

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a mild tasting weed; a very good one to clean your bowl after smoking those heavy latakia blends we all like. The quality of the tobacco is impeccable, but it remains a mild tobacco. Doesn't burn too quickly, no risk of burning your tongue. It lights well and stays lit if packed properly. The cavendish is evident midway through the bowl and provides a very pleasant roomnote. I'd keep it around, even though it's a little more expensive than the average pipeweed.