Mild, golden Virginias, that have a naturally high sweetness, are mixed with a mild Black Cavendish. A fresh flavor of exotic fruits and a touch of Bourbon Vanilla is added to make this an extraordinarily mild blend.

Notes: Very mild with a pleasant room note. Another "Go To" Dan Aromatic that meets all expectations set forth in its description.

BrandDan Tobacco

2.9
Tobacco_Noob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco_Noob (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My favorite aromatic blend. It has a faint but noticeable tobacco flavor instead of the "dry air" most people experience with aromatics. The room note is AMAZING. Vanilla, coconut, custard, bourbon whisky. This is a great aromatic that every pipe smoker should try at least once. A great example of what an aromatic can be.

Pipe Used: MM "Washington" Cobb, CAO Meerschaum

Purchased From: Briar Shoppe (bulk)

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

Ya can't go wrong with Dan Tobacco. This isn't just a review of Blue Note but all their blends in general. I am primarily a non aromatic smoker as I love the natural taste of tobacco but every now and then everyone needs a change of pace. This is where Blue Note, Black Velvet and DaVinci come in. They give an excellent flavor where the tin aroma actually translates to taste. So far in my 4 year search Dan produces some of the finest Aromatics(along with Sillem's Back...both German.) they also have some delicious English blends. So if you're an English kinda guy lookin for a good aromatic. Ya can't go wrong with Dan Tonacco. Every blend I've tried thus far is a hands down 4 stars!

barefootdesigns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
barefootdesigns (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, I've never considered myself a connoisseur of tobaccos, just a smoker who enjoys rich aromatics. I love Sutliff's Molto Dolce and Lane's Black Raspberry in particular. I'm a solid Cavendish lover with no particular liking for Virginias and a dislike of most burleys--except the ones I grow myself. I bought several tins in a combination "try them" sale and absolutely loved this one. Usually I stay away from anything that indicates it has a citrus content because they always smoke hot for me, but not this one. The taste is enticing and almost as pleasant as the smell, which is divine. I can't really say why I love this blend, just that I do. It's different from all the others and kept drawing me to it until I hit the bottom of the tin. Must have more. It's habit forming in the best way I know. Hot smoking? No, not at all. Burns well and leaves a clean ash with no wetness.

Pipe Used: Masterson freehand volcano and others

Similar Blends: Nothing else I've ever tasted..

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Well if you were looking for the perfect Aro YOU WILL BE THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not a big Aro smoker for different reasons,that being said Blue Note is a fantastic aromatic. The tin aroma is so sweet/alcohol like reminds me of Mogan David wine, The interesting thing is the flavor holds through the entire bowl. It has a good tobacco flavor and sweetness at the bottom of the bowl,It smokes dry for entire bowl but the ash is dark I smoked two bowls in the same pipe (Ascorti 3/4 bent) to see if there is any ghosting going on. Going to fill it with McCLELLAND #5110 Dark English Full and see how it does be back...................shortly!.........Back and //wow except for moisture in the heel (3- bowls in a row gave no time to dry out.... one of the best Aro's I've ever smoked holds it's flavor well and when that diminishes your left with a good tobacco flavor. The moisture content is low and it tasted wonderful. I've smoked a lot of Aro"s in my like and the thing that is amazing VS. American Aro's is how fast they lose there flavor and how wet they get at the bottom. Blue Note leaves a dry heel and a flavor that holds thru 3/4 of the bowl and then the good tobacco flavor comes through. An amazing trip, I've been let down by the American style that so I was nervous to try this . So I waited 6 yrs to pop the top, I wish I had done it sooner! If all Aro's smoked like this I would be mostly an Aro smoker. Imagine here in America the blend in the jar tasting just like it smells thru most of the bowl and at the end, a clean dry pipe! Wow wouldn't that be nice, well here you get that quality smoke! If only all tobaccos were of this of this quality, this is very a rare blend, fantastic! I hope you pick up a tin and see for yourself. Pick some up and fire up a bowl and enjoy the journey!

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

While this blend only has Virginia listed without any Burley it is a surprisingly smooth non-irritating mild but flavorful smoke. And that just about covers it. Blue Note smells wonderful in the pouch (I purchased it from bulk)and as you smoke it. The tobacco taste is very muted so I can see why some would shun this. However it is there in a nice pleasant way coated in a mild but rich sweet but hard to identify flavoring. I experience no tongue bite with this aromatic tobacco. It's a very nice, mild, unobtrusive and friendly tobacco that is nice to gently puff away on while driving. Recommended.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'm normally not the biggest fan of danish-type aromatics, but I like this tobacco. The smell is great when you open the pouch or tin, and the people around you love it when you smoke it. Of course, that's not a reason to buy this, so here's your reason: it's a strong aromatic with lots of different flavors in it, and if that is to your liking, you'll buy this. The Virginias are of high quality, it has a nice fruity taste and the bourbon taste is not overwhelming. Generally, I'm not a big fan of the vanilla flavoring, but this is one tobacco I can handle it in. The surprising thing for me is the coconut note. I never thought I would want that in any blend in my pipe, but this is an exception. Though I've listed several reasons why I normally wouldn't smoke something like this, the overall blend works for me in moderation.

It can burn a little hot if you're a constant puffer, so take it easy. I can't smoke this regularly, and haven't in some time, but I'm revisiting it, and it's a good change of pace smoke. If you're not into this kind of tobacco, stay away. You won't like it at all, as some previous posters have made obvious. If you want more than what regular aromatics give you, check it out. It's a different experience than you usually encounter.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

a danish aromatic it best. its an important key point because if you cannoy tollerate their stay then you better off from this paricular tobacco.the tobacco smell reminds my of sail green however the casing is way more better with hints of fruity sweetness. mixed cut between shag ribbon coarss and flake cut which reminds you of the variety you might note in cube blend. if packed lightly it smokes very good..pack it tight and you will have a draw difficulty on one point. the taste is magnificent like an enhanced copy of sail, sir walter raleigh aromatic and cube! take fires perfectly and burns evenly with minimum left overs..the room note is pleasent. a bit on the pricy tag but if you enjoy danish aromatic i recommend this blend.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tastes like ice cream, but with strong tobacco flavour. A little sweet, but very nice. Buy more

cjone107 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cjone107 (15)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm very disappointed in this blend. I hear so many great things about it, but I get very little taste or smell out of it. The tin smell adds insult to injury - as it smells like the best tobacco ever. Unfortunately, in the pipe it does not deliver. It tastes like a weak aromatic, but doesn't smell like anything but smoke.

Pipe Used: Luxor No 2-17, Misourri Meerschaum Legend

Purchased From: Mars C&P

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Popped this tin a week ago and after 5 or so bowls I've made up my mind that it's good but I can't dig it like some other aros. The tin note is a fruit explosion... almost a bubblegum aroma. Not a bad thing I guess. If you're into that then rock n roll (reminds me of the first whiff when busting open a box of Fruit Loops and jamming my head in the bag - I'm ok with admitting that I do that). Smoking this is nice... fruity... sometimes someone sprinkles a little pepper on my fruit. The reason for two stars is I thought this blend was pretty high maintenance. Packed too tight and it burns hotter than the blazes of hell and damnation itself (stole that line from Back to the Future III) and bites like crazy. Packed too loose and I have to puff like a hypoxic maniac to keep it lit. Tried this in three different sized bowls but can't get this one right yet although I really want to. Every once in a while I get a nice taste but then it goes away and I'm fussing like a first time parent that brought their newborn to a fancy restaurant (been there, done that, got a t-shirt). Gets a bit more care-free after the first half of the bowl. I'm not ready to give up on this blend yet... it does taste great. Until I figure Blue Note out, I'll stick to only two stars and one tin for now.

Pipe Used: Leonessa Volcano, Bjarne Viking Classic, cob

pipes_and_whisky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipes_and_whisky (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Been smokin' around 2 years. Really like this. Burns well. Only a very slight tongue bite if smoked fast. Great room note and flavour. Only tried one other Dan tobacco and that was Sweet Honeydew. Loved that but it gave me serious tongue bite. No problems with this one.

Pipe Used: Corn cob and briar

onurturker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onurturker (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

It is for pipe smokers who fans of aromatic tobaccos

Armac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armac (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have to admit I'm not an aromatic smoker though I have tried many over the years. I smoke primarily Virginia, Burley, or Virginia-Burley blends and occasionally, a Balkan or English. Having said that, I find this tobacco exceptional as an aromatic. It's primarily a broken flake with a Virginia base. There is some ribbon and some wider pieces. The taste is tobacco and the room note piquent and sweet, though not "in your face" as some aromatics are. The fruitiness is not pronounced nor is the bourbon vanilla but both are there. If you're an aromatic smoker or even if not, you should try this. Recommended.

Aromatic Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromatic Al (8)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

This product is marketed as having "...exotic fruits and a touch of Bourbon Vanilla... extraordinarily mild..." The casing is very tasty but I wouldn't have been able to identify it. And no way is this mild. This is actually a full-on aromatic with a good nico kick and an underlying robust Virginia tobacco flavor. It's better than the company's marketing department describes it to be.

Blue Note delivers a full load of [what we are told is] exotic fruit/bourbon vanilla flavor in every puff, down to about the last 20% of the bowl. The bottom 20% of the bowl is best discarded, as the flavor profile takes a major downturn towards the bitter and sour as the ash and goo start to pile up; it starts burning too hot; and moderate puffing begins to deliver a bit of gurgling and tongue bite. If you fail to discard the last 20% or so of the bowl, it will have a seriously negative effect on your mouth and pipe, and ruin the enjoyment of the second bowl, should you wish to have a second bowl. Of course, this can be avoided with some drying time, tho it tastes and smells much better when moist.

It burned best when packed tight in a narrow/deep bowl. If you don't pack it quite tight, you won't be able to keep it lit. The tin aroma is very powerful. The flavors aren't separate and distinct, but they come together well. I can handle about 3 bowls of this delicious candy a week. For the experienced aromatic smoker who also appreciates top quality Virginia tobacco. Requires a dedicated pipe, obviously.

scumbag Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scumbag (2)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

With all the hype surrounding this tobacco, I had to give it a shot. Upon opening, I found it to have a wonderful aromatic smell. The tobacco itself was as dry as the sahara desert and burned even hotter. No flavor at all, just scorching hot air. As far as the incredible room note it is supposed to have, I could not smell anything. Dry, tasteless, tongue biting, no thank you. If you like smoking vanilla scented candles, you will love this tobacco. If you want something with a little substance, go pick up some Frog Morton instead.

Afraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Afraz (14)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

It had a good smell but not much taste but its a good aromatic tobacco. Dan tobacco has better than this. I bought 2 ponche of this till now, maybe ill buy of it if i coulnt find a better aromatic.

Calihunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calihunter (1)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

For several years I have been smoking the "english" style blends but was craving a change about a year ago.So upon the recommendation of a local tobacconist ( a cigar shop really) I opted to buy a tin of blue note. When I got home and opened the tin I was shocked at the intensity of the aroma from this tobacco. It smells wonderful in the tin ,sweet and fruity with vanilla undertones, I couldn't wait to try it, to taste something that smelled like a candy shop. I remember pulling a bowl full from the tin and the tobacco being a bit tacky and wet to the touch. Once packed into the bowl however, I had a real fight on my hands. For the life of me I could not keep the stuff lit, It smoked incredibly hot, gurgled , sputtered and bit the bejesus out of my tongue. I managed to get through the bowl, which ended up a nice white fluff of ash, and thinking I was done with my evening smoke went about the rest of my evening boy was i wrong. This is a smoke that will stay with you very much like a cigar in that respect. The ashy aftertaste and ghost left in the pipe will remind you for quite some time that you have just finished a bowl of Blue note.

Needless to say that was the first and last bowl of blue note for me until today. with a bit over year of age on the tobac it still has the same wonderful aroma. it has dried a bit and is no longer tacky to the touch as i remember it being. Age seems to do this blend well and it is burning quite nice. very little bite this go round but I admit I have slowed my smoking down tremendously over the last year. I still find the aftertaste to be just to much for me which is why i never took to cigars. It has a lovely room note that my wife almost seems to enjoy.

2 out of 5 for this one. I still like to pull this one out of the cellar and bury my nose in it every once in a while but overall this is still not the smoke for me but Im OK with that.

Keep'em smoking

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

I cant always find CAO Moontrance. So this is my fall back. Similiar, to me, and very pleasurable as well. This is alittle milder, I think, but still satifies my desires. Again, this is an all day everyday type for me. She Who Must Be Obeyed has stated this is ok, but the leavings and dottle smell like Marlboro butts. Room note for Her is "ok".

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

The aroma from the pouch (I bought mine from a tobacconist's jar) is delicious-- a strong sweet fruity aroma. I would like to try this out of a tin when I get the chance. This burned extremely well--a charring light and then one more light--it burned slowly and evenly right to the bottom. I enjoyed the taste--lot's of citrus and a little sweet, but not too sweet. The citrus flavor definitely dominates, but the Virginias and the Black Cavendish come through as well. The Bourbon flavor comes through too (I would have appreciated even a little more of this). It's not very complex, however; the taste stayed pretty much the same throughout the bowl. It's just a good quality smoking experience, very relaxing, and the room note is quite nice. One of the few aromatic tobaccos I can actually smell in the air while smoking it. It bites the tongue a wee bit during smoking, especially if pushed (and it burns so well it doesn't need to be pushed!), but this doesn't last long after completion of the bowl. One could drink soda after this without any discomfort. Overall, I find this a tasty and enjoyable good quality tobacco. 3.5 stars.

Holmlover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holmlover (16)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

From an aromatic room note standpoint, this has to be one of the most remarkable tobaccos to ever come along! Unfortunately my smoking -taste- experience of this tobacco was kinda bland. It burned well but my palate was not turned on by this number. If you want to impress a non smoker with a great pipe tobacco odor, this is the one.

Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Oh my...what an aromatic, and that's aromatic with a capital A. This is the sweetest blend I have ever tried and certainly one of the most unique. It is not goopy or gunky, just plain sweet. I smoked a whole tin in just three days because it was so different.

Having said the above, I will never purchase this blend again. Once was enough. I personally enjoy pipe tobacco that tastes like tobacco. Blue Note is cotton candy disguised as tobacco.

Aromatic fans, listen up. This will be your creme' de la creme'! Don't let Sherlock taste it though, he'd turn over in his grave!