A superior blend of the finest quality flue-cured and Turkish tobaccos has been selected, cured and blended for your enjoyment.

Notes: Ramback Regular is rich in wonderful, fragrant Izmir, one of the best known Turkish tobaccos for a slightly sweet and exotic flavor. Ramback Gold utilizes the same flavorful Izmir as Ramback Regular, but adds bright flue-cured leaf for a lighter, sweeter flavor.

BrandD & R Tobacco
2.5
zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I had wanted to try D&R tobaccos for some time, but if you check the descriptions, they don't really say much about the tobacco. I hate taking that leap of faith, having been burned so many times in the past, and it's strange, actually. Isn't this Ryan guy the same that puts out Acadian Perique? Shouldn't he know that the pipe community relies heavily on tin descriptions in the absence of solid reviews? I at least want to know what components are in a blend, every pipe tobacco tin should say at least that, down to the specific Orientals, if possible (but not probable).

Always curious, I ordered Picayune and Ramback and shortly thereafter found an old P&T magazine in a smoke shop. Turning immediately to Trial by Fire, I pulled up the tobacco reviews for the particular issue of Summer 2010. I was surprised to find Gage and Harb go through a few D&R blends, including Ramback. Harb describes the blend as consisting of 100 percent Turkish tobaccos. I have never heard of a tobacco like that--are there really no Virginias here?! And then I had to wait a week for the answer.

Peel the tin cover back and you will get a strong olfactory bombardment of mustiness and trace hints of cigar leaf, with a visual comprising a variety of blond, orange, red and olive green colors. Turkish tobaccos, in my experience, have this kind of twinkle to them, similar to a Lakeland flake or a well aged blend, but a bit less pronounced when put up to a light, and Ramback is similarly affected. The leaf is very dry, more so than C&D tobaccos, which I have found to be amongst the least humid.

Many have remarked of D&R's past configuration as a RYO cigarette company of specialty tobaccos, all of which processed in a thin shag. This blend is more akin to a ribbon cut, and certainly looks like pipe tobacco out of the tin. When lit, the flavor has that prominent Oriental spiciness to it, very pronounced. Having a good portion of blending Smyrna on hand, and having smoked the stuff straight on occasion, I can compare the two at a basic level. Smoking straight Smyrna is somewhat off putting, both in odor and spice, which quickly overwhelm the senses with their pungent properties--to me, completely devoid of sweetness. D&R seems tamer, however, leading one to believe there is at least a modicum of added Virginia, probably bright leaf, muting the concentration and elevating the sugar level. Either that or these Orientals are tamer than some of the harder stuff in the rarer varietals. There's always a strength tradeoff with Orientals. They are very light in nicotine, and for those craving rough smokes, appreciation may be difficult though worthy if one is seeking exploration.

In his review of Rambak, Gage suggests the tobacco be employed primarily as a blender to even out other mixes. That's a bit of an insult in my opinion, as Ramback stands exceedingly well on its own. In summary, this is a fine tobacco to have on hand when you crave Turkish leaf and a spicy smoke. My God, if I had cigarettes like this, I never would have quit!

D.A.M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.A.M. (7)

I had seen the adds for Daughters & Ryan tobaccos for some time in the P&C catalog. I ordered three, one-once samples at low bulk-rate prices, and was pleasantly surprised by this one in particular. This is nice and light, yet hits many of the flavor notes I personally look for (I'm a huge fan of English and Balkan blends). Nice and spicey, but understated and simple. good for the morning commute with a nice travel mug full of strong coffee. This is definitely going into my regular rotation.

Similar Blends: Think of a light, less sophisticated version of Dunhill's London Mixture and EMP combined and you are on the right track, light being the optimum word..

Bassrep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bassrep (18)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I bought a couple of ounces of this in bulk. I am a cigar and pipe smoker. Veteran cigar and somewhat of a noob to pipes (but an OCD noob and somewhat informed). I have purchased tins of blends considered Oriental i.e. McClelland Grand Orientals - Classic Samsun and McClelland Grand Orientals - Drama Reserve and having enjoyed those (keep in mind I am typically an aro guy-Dansk Black probably my #1) figured I would try Ramback Reg AND Ramback Gold. In a word? CRUNCHY. More words? Super dry. Arid. Desert. Thirsty.

NOTE: I entered "Medium" in filling in the blanks, truth is I have no idea. I'll be composting this stuff.

I contacted my vendor (they're nice folks so I will omit the name-they were nice enough about it-only mildly condescending) and they said:

"The condition of the Daughters & Ryan Tobacco is typical for that brand. They tend to ship their tobacco very dry because so many of their customers use it in RYO cigarettes. If you prefer the tobacco with more moisture, you can add moisture to it. Just take a damp paper towel..." Then do us all a favor, huh? LABEL IT AS RYO and schmucks like me won't be ordering it! OK, I have vented. Thank you. I needed that.

Age When Smoked: Fresh, new

Similar Blends: Ramback Balkan.

kiowapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kiowapipe (17)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

First of all, the obvious question- is this really a pipe tobacco? The packaging says in several places in large, cautionary block print "THIS PRODUCT INTENDED FOR USE AS PIPE TOBACCO ONLY." It even has little pipe icons blazoned all over. If you don't remember such stern instructions on your last Dunhill tin, there's a reason- Ramback Gold started out as a roll-your-own cigarette blend. From what I can tell, in response to the recent cigarette tax hikes they changed the cut from fine shag to coarse shag and rebranded it a pipe tobacco, with a wink and a nudge to retailers to put it with their "dual-use" tobaccos. That said, pipers shouldn't dismiss this blend out of hand, as it really is a fine tobacco. It would seem to be a blend of yenidje and izmir turkish leaf, and indeed it is reminiscent of old-time camel or balkan sobranie cigarettes (a nice pipe tie-in). The flavor is incredibly mild on the way in, its most notable characteristic a pleasant natural tobacco taste, with a bit of a zingy "green" note. On the way out, the flavor is a bit stronger, spicy and floral. The room note is decidedly cigarette-like, however. Also, contrary to what might expect, the nicotine level is exceptionally low. In my opinion, this is an enjoyable occasional smoke, preferably in a well-used cob pipe, also perhaps preferably outdoors. It also has exciting possibilities as a blender; I could see it being very useful in adding dimension to other tobaccos or spicing up an otherwise flat virginia or even a black cavendish. And, of course, for those pipers who are into that sort of thing, it also does very well in those little paper tubes. :)