A pure Virginia specialty. Elegant and mellow smoke. A Danish-type blend. With an unobtrusive aroma and a fine sweetness on the tongue.

BrandJohn Aylesbury
Blended ByPlanta
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
3.9

Sweet honey on the initial light, good "N" with the sweet brightness of the Virginia, smooth yet tangy very "McClelland like". After about a 1/4 bowl the taste changes to almost an Oriental forward flavor of Gingerbread ( I know there are no Orientals , but no other way to describe it). The blend continues to grow darker as you go down the bowl but still maintains some sweetness . Very interesting and ever changing, more Danish than English or McClelland like .

FVF is darker and less sweet, McC 5100 is milder and more tangy, MacBarens Virginia No.1 is more hay flavor and bitey

I can't see any Virginia lover not liking this one.

Pipe Used: cob

Steverino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steverino (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I discovered this blend almost as if by accident and count myself fortunate. Of the many tinned Virginia tobaccos I've tried, this one stands out as one of the easiest to smoke and best tasting.

Upon opening the tin, one finds a long flake of tobacco, not unlike that in Reiner's Long Golden Flake, sort of wrapped up on itself in the tin. The tin aroma is much like the typical bright Virginia, a little hay-like or grass-like. There is also an added aroma, likely from the conservative topping, and this serves to set Sir John's Flake apart from similar blends.

Tin moisture seems ideal for pipe smoking, so I found it easy to crumble off a bit from the large flake and pack it in the pipe. Application of a match set it to burning easily and the only reason another light was needed was because I tamped it a bit.

The initial taste is, again, similar to other Virginias of this type. The casing or topping does, however, add another dimension. If pressed for a description, I'd say the topping is honey, or at least honey-like. It does have a sweet smell and, since the tin does say "Danish Classic", the topping appears to be of the Danish school. Whatever its origin, it is very good to this smoker.

I found this blend to be very consistent as the bowl is smoked. The same taste seems to follow the smoker to the end with little change. There is, to be sure, a slight darkening of the flavor down the bowl but it is not so much that one would think to be smoking a different tobacco, as happens with many blends.

Overall, I give this blend a high rating. I find it to be one of the most enjoyable blends I've smoked and would highly recommended it to anyone wishing to try a Virginia blend for the first time or to the experienced Virginia smoker looking for the proverbial "change of pace".

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The initial aroma upon opening the tin was that of...English breakfast tea (which made me wonder...should I crack open a tea bag and give the contents a trial puff ?). Common sense prevailed, however.

A bit more dry to the touch than expected, but burn was a pleasant surprise and just right.

The smoke struck me as mild and relaxing in a Stanwell acorn churchwarden.

A keeper.

Update: best "sipped", allowing some sweetness to come through from time to time. Very even burn, but a tad hot on the tongue and a surprise gurgle toward the end of the bowl. Moisture of tobacco seemed just right based on burn (charring / first lights only for entirety of bowl), so smoke patiently.

Wife enjoyed the aroma - always a plus, solidifying the fourth star for what is a very straightforward, simple smoke.

I had smoked some MacBaren Seven Seas "gold" earlier in the day and found it milder by comparison, with no hint of bite at all, but less interesting.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (8)

After searching for a new flake to try, I happened upon the very few reviews on Sir John's Flake Virginia. After reading the reviews and since I was unfamiliar with a total Virginia flake tobacco, I decided to find out for myself. Upon opening the tin there was a light plum aroma. After unwrapping the flake and taking in a deep breath through the nostrils I was hit with a deep fruity sparkling wine like scent. It smells amazing. Now the flake itself was not moist and certainly not over dry. It was basically perfect. I peeled the amount of tobacco I saw fit from the side of the flake instead of unfolding it. I used the fold and twist method and rubbed out the top portion a bit and gently packed into my Peterson Irish Sea 221 Smooth Fish Tail. After packing the pipe, the flake's aroma changed from that sparkling fruity aroma to a definite hay aroma which I understand is common with Virginia's. It smells great. I let it sit for about six hours before deciding to give it a go. Pre-light aroma is inviting with the slight aroma of warm toast. I tamped then lit the flake while taking a deep puff. WOW! The aroma is that of warm toast, almonds, and sweet cream. Not strong like an aromatic but distinct and definitive. There is a slight sweetness and bread like taste as well with the definite tobacco taste, none overpowering the other. The aroma and flavor stayed consistent and true through the entire bowl. The company I was with were not offended by my smoking and complimented the tobacco for its pleasant aroma and for it not having a strong smokiness to it. You might receive some bite if puff greedily. Long story short, this is an excellent flake tobacco. It is a must try in my opinion.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I'm thinking Steverino pretty much nailed this fine blend, though it was actually another online friend that recommended it to me. I went through my tin very fast in late June/early July, and must have highly enjoyed it, going by the few short notes I wrote about it, and the fact that as far as I can tell, smoked it pretty much exclusively for a few days.

Unfortunately, since then I have gone through a time in which I had so many other things going on in my life, that I never got around to writing a review at the best possible time in this case; that is to say, when I was in the middle of the last bowl from my one and only tin! Therefore, though I may not at this point remember the specifics that made it such an enjoyable Virginia Flake for me, I think four stars are in order, just to give it the benefit of the doubt!

I am mainly a Virginia man, and insofar as I can remember, this had all of the elements that make up a good, pure, unadulterated Virginia Flake. I simply cannot go into much detail now and remain honest as a reviewer, since it has been five months since I had a bowl of it.

I do know, however, that although this is the holiday season and I find myself needing to watch my spending in the next month, I can say for sure that come the Spring (i.e. tax refund time), I will probably find myself willing and able to pick up a few more tins, and maybe even a new pipe. (Really need a new Savinelli: love their light rusticated billiards, and had the misfortune recently of cracking my only remaining one!)

My admittedly imperfect memories from five months ago of this flake are good ones, however, and I can say with certainty that a couple tins of this, one to smoke and one to save a while, will be at the top of my list for a time when I feel that I can do another tobacco order without too much guilt, and I just have the feeling that a bit more experience with this blend could have perhaps even the effect of making it a true favorite.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)

I picked up a tin of Sir John's a while back when visiting Germany. Upon opening the tin, I was presented with "soft", medium brown flake cut tobacco with a wonderful light chocolatety-caramel smell. This tobacco rubbed out easily and burned well with a smooth and creamy virginia flavour, making it ideal as an afternoon smoke. Recommended.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Thanks to Steverino for his accurate review that I agree with. Although the light topping doesn't spoil the taste for me and the flake preparation is ~ to Reiner's Long Golden, that one is still my favorite in taste. If you enjoy Va flakes, this will give you a smooth, cool smoke without relights or condensation. This was my 1st experience with an Aylesbury blend and it was a good one.