The fourth in the Cornell & Diehl series honoring the service of African-Americans, Montford Point Marine remembers the men trained at Camp Montford Point, the first US Marine training base established for Blacks in 1942. Like the men of Montford Point, this blend of dark-fired Burley, Perique and Latakia is full and stout-hearted, ship-shape and stands tall. Semper Fi!

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique
Packaging2 oz tin.
Strength
Taste
Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.4
Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (13)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

"Solid", "Hits the spot", and "Puts things right."

I've been out of the game for awhile, boys. Started a family, still building my business, and relocated to the mountains of North Carolina.

I've been relying on my old standby: Captain Earl.

However, I ran out, and wanted to visit the local shop to see what was what.

They had some old tins from Cornell and Diehl. So, I bought some MPM.

Glad that I did. Really hits the spot. Not much to say about the intricate details and tastes. Just a good, hearty, stout bowl of man-smoke.

Thank you to the real Montford Point Marines.

And thank you to this tobacco. Set me up right.

Edit: 03/15/15

Smoked a few more bowls. I could finally pick out the Perique towards the back of each puff. As soon as that happened, it started to remind me of Mississippi Mud. I wouldn't call them similar. It's just reminding me how much I love The Mud. I need to pick some up here, in the soons.

Pipe Used: Tim West, Full-Bent Sitter

Age When Smoked: 4.5 Years

Purchased From: B&B Tobaccanist, Asheville NC.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I have really enjoyed this series of tobacco's. Every one is excellent. This one is different in that I have never smoked a Burley-based Latakia blend. So, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I love Riverboat Gambler which is a Burley based Non-Latakia Blend. Now, this is a stout Burley Blend with a surge of Latakia, make no mistake about that! I like Latakia blends. This one stands out in a special way because it is a Burley rather than a Virginia based Latakia Blend.

Turns out this is a four-star blend for me. I was surprised. I can't get over how smooth this is! The right balance of Latakia, Burley and Perique. Smoothness and tobacco flavor are exceptional. And, as far as Latakia blends go, the room note of this blend is more than tolerable in my opinion.

This being the first Burley-based Latakia blend in my collection of favorite blends, it will remain in my rotation of everyday tobacco's now numbering ten (all from C&D). It helps to know what the Reviewer likes to smoke so... I'll list them for you:

Green River Vanilla (Vanilla/Honey Black Burley Aromatic); Gentleman Caller (Virginia based Deer Tonque Blend); Tuskegee Airman (Virgina Based Mild Latakia Blend); U.S.S. Mason (Very light Latakia, Light Brandy topped Virginia/Burley); Two Friends Heritage (Virginia Medley, light Plum flavor); Riverboat Gambler (Burley with substantial Turkish); Autumn Evening (Red Cavendish and light Maple flavor); Captain Bob's Blend (Virginia/Burley, light Latakia, Aromatic Citrus); Pot O' Gold Mixture (Virginia/Burley/Turkish, very light Maple flavor); Montford Point Marine (Burley/Latakia, extremely smooth).

Those are my favorite daily tobacco blends of which Montford Marine earns a solid place. This blend is not to be missed if you desire a smooth Latakia and deep Burley flavor. This is an excellent preparation and I highly recommend that you give it a try. It "will" relax you!

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (23)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tasty, full bodied and thourolly enjoyable. The blend has a nice latakia profile that stays well in the front for most of the bowl. You get the earthiness of the burley rounding things out. Perique just lightly pops its head peppering the nose from time to time. I'm recommending it and would like to aquire a few more tins for the cellar.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Oscar Dry Pipe #703

Age When Smoked: 1 yr 4 months

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (90)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I rather enjoyed the few bowls of this that I tried. I used it to break in my Wallenstein pipe that I recently acquired on a visit with the man himself! The burley was a nice change of pace from the usual VA's in an english blend, and the proportions provided for a nice interplay of spice and bold body, this one goes great with a cup of jo or a dark beer! I'd like to get a tin of this at some point and smoke it again so I can make more observations, but so far, I'd say it's a keeper!

Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coyote (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Stout! Chris at C&D gave me fair warning. I'm a Marine, 65-69, Viet Nam 67-68. This is a Stout not like Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, a wonderful chocolaty, smooth, dark and actually quite malty-sweet Stout (sometimes I hallucinate that it's got a little licorice in it, but it doesn't). This is Guinness Stout. Slightly astringent, more than a walnut...less than a grape seed. For me this is not a 'contemplative pipe tobacco.' This is more like, "Yes Sergeant I will jump over that 10 ft wall immediately and on the first jump," kind of thing. Ya got to get the testosterone roaring when you smoke this one. Flavor? Wonderful, tasty, mouth feel is full, room note is Latakia but not to excess. This is quality pipe tobacco. No cloying flavor left in your mouth or nose, no whirling-swirlys. However, once a week is just perfect for this bowl. I would Love to smoke this with my Poker group, they'd crack up big time. "Hey, you think that cigar smells good...well get a load of this!" Oooraah! And of course, Semper Fi, we are 'Always Faithful.' (I'm a Marine, not on active duty, once a Jar-Head...Always. big smile). Carry on brothers and sisters.