Classic sailor`s flake tobacco made from rich Golden Virginias, sweet and mild.

Notes: Regarding the name of this blend, which some people mistakenly think is 'Hamborger Beermaster' because of the typeface used on the tin (a variation of blackletter known as Fraktur where the B and V are easily confused); the ship on the front is a German four-masted windjammer, called a 'Veermaster'. This coupled with the fact that Dan Tobacco, the producer, lists this blend in their price lists as 'Hamborger Veermaster' is probably all that need to be said on this subject.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.1
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

If you want a toned down dose of Orlik Golden Slices, then this is the flake for you! It is very mild, frankly, almost flavorless. A slow burn is necessary to fully appreciate what little flavor there is. The leaf is of good quality, and the flake rubs out easily, but, is too moist at first. I let mine air dry for a couple of days before plowing into a second bowl. (I have not tried a third one yet, and I've had the tin for a month--if that says anything--hint!)

If you want a bit more punch to your puff, go elsewhere young man. If, on the other hand, you enjoy smoking a Virginia as laid back as an old Bassett Hound, well, here you go.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Notes: The stylized Germanic font on the tin leads some to mistakenly call this blend "Beer Master." The name refers instead to one of a class of four-masted German sailing ships, which in a once popular German song headed for America for the Gold Rush to strike it rich. I have smoked several ounces of this in various pipes and found I liked it best in a very tall thin Danish chimney pipe with a narrow bowl I can barely get my pinky finger into to tamp the tobacco down.

Appearance: It used to come, as Marlin flake (another nautically named blend), as a one-foot flake folded in a can. Lately, I have received it in tins where it is cut into 2-inch squares of medium to darkish nut brown tobacco, which rubs out to a thinnish ribbon. It is not very moist in the tin and ready to smoke right away.

Aroma: Fresh hay and tobacco, honey, malt, milk chocolate, vanilla, plums, pineapple upside-down cake!

Flavor: A pronounced rough-hewn flavor of woodchips and sawdust. Nuts, walnut shells, a hint of sweetness, woolen blanket, clean linen, chocolate wafers, homemade marshmallow.

Comparisons: If Hal O' The Wind epitomizes a refined nutty Virginia blend, then Hamborger Veermaster is the acme of the honest blue-collar end of the spectrum. Woodsier than most nutty-style Virginia blends, like Gawith's Best Brown Flake, and more savory but also less delectable.

Bottom Line: For those who favor the nutty Virginia blends, perhaps the ultimate "working man's" flake.

This is a very solid Virginia. I was given a healthy sample of this from a friend of mine. I had wanted to try it for some time. Based on all the reviews I had read, I was sure I would like it. I was not let down in the least bit.

My favorite Virginia is Dunhill Flake and I still prefer Dunhill Flake to this, but it is close. They are also very similar in flavor profile. This, like DF, has that citrusy sweetness to it that compliments the natural hay taste to the abundant bright leaf. I had thought of giving this three stars as I definitely recommend it, but it is so close in flavor to my favorite va and favorite blend, that I will add another star.

As another bonus to this, it is available in bulk. A bad point is, it is hardly ever available, which is saying something as well.

Purchased From: gifted from friend

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

Pungent and "winous". Dark and red VA with quite alot of perique. I find this one very similar to Murray's version of Dunhill's Elizabethan (although inferior to), and quite reminiscent of nowadays version of Three Nuns by Orlik (but way better).

At first light, kind of sweet VA, but then perique rears its head, and Hamborger goes peppery and strong!

Quality! Indeed quality, but too much perique for me.

If you fancy Three Nuns, this might ring your bell: It is superior quality-wise.

If you fancy Elizabethan (Murray era): whiffs of ghostly memories will sometimes appear.

------------------------Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark ---------------------

Pipe Used: Briar, Cob

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Elizabethan Mixture.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The golden Virginias may make for a pleasant honey and hay/grass taste, but the lack of complexity keeps it from being a rotation blend. It's a well made tobacco, but between its lack of nicotine, and relative lightness of flavor, I find it more a beginner's blend than one for the experienced Virginia smoker. I understand that it improves quite a bit with age, so I'll check on the tin that I have in a few years and see what it's like then. If you need a unobtrusive smoke, this will do. If you want more, look elsewhere.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Because I found this somewhat heady, I classified it in the "medium-to-strong" range of strength; the taste, though, is somewhere between the mild FERNDOWN Mild Brown and the more robust RATTRAY Marlin Flake. Meaning that HAMBORGER is a delightfully supple and savoury Virginia, without a hint of the bloated quality of some stoved flakes, yet flavourful and very present.

This is much better than Limerick (with its unnoticeable ghost Périque, bah!), has more personality than WESSEX Brigade, and is less predictable than Tordenskjold Virginia Slices. All told, one of the best pure-Virginia flakes I have ever smoked.

Its room redolence is delectable.

[P.S.: longer familiarity with this utterly delicious tobacco has only enhanced my affection for it. Highest recommendation. 5/'02]

TattooGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TattooGuy (9)

I heard so much about that blend I had to try it. It is a one of a kind to me. When I opened the tin I must say I was surprised. Beautiful almost shag flakes with white chocolate, vanilla cake aromas and the nice fragrance of Virginias. Easy to rub, pack and light. The smoke translate the same aromas with something like burnt sugar or toffee added to it but never overpowering. Great VA taste. HV leaves a nice dryness in the mouth I really like. One of my favorites. I can't wait to try more of Dan Tobacco's offerings. 4 stars.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It is fair mixture which burns very well although it is quite dry when tin is opened. Anyway, for pure Virginia blend it is surprisingly good for smoking.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tin has been waiting for a least a year in my cellar. My first impression is pleasant if not the best of the virginia flakes. Well behaved and consistent it may rate an upgrade later on. At this point I can say there are many virginia flakes that are more flavorful than Veermaster. If you enjoy your tobacco on the mild side this may be just what you desire.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (73)

I enjoy this monochromatic tobacco because it makes me introspective. It doesn't change over the course of the bowl too much and sometimes, when I'm focused on a project or working at home, it's exactly what I need.

The tinge of sweetness is reminiscent of kissing a striptease dancer after she'd sipped a chablis of white wine.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think that the other reviewers have represented my thoughts rather well. The hamburger beermaster is really pretty good. I actually find myself agreeing with the pros (tasty if smoked properly) and the cons (can become bitter through the bowl), and even the comparison (to Orlick GS). OGS seems more consistent to me, personally, but I do like this tobacco as well. It will work its way into the rotation with pleasure.

Update: The cons seem more pronounced, and this one is finding less time in the rotation.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A soft flake which rubs out with no effort, with a sweet natural honeyish smell in the tin. It burns well, slow and even no matter if you smoke it whole or fully rubbed out. A bit wet just after opening, but dries easily (if you don't, expect to have to pass a cleaner during smoke). It's a rather mild (taste-wise, not in nicotine) bright Virginia flake, with a taste that can have some similarities to Orlick Golden Sliced, but slightly richer and better. It has some sweetness, and some toasty notes, but there are tastier Virginias, and the second half of the bowl can be a bit "watery" (especially without drying the tobacco a bit) or slightly bitter, especially after some relights. Maybe there's some burley? A positive note is that this tobacco does not bite at all. If you like Limerick or MacBaren Navy Flake, try this one too: you should like it!

Strider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strider (7)
Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

I tried this tobacco after reading all of the positive reviews about it here. First off I have never tried a Dan tobacco that knocked my socks off. They have been ok, but not anything I would go out and purchase again. The best way I can describe this tobacco is bland. Not bad, just not rememberable Maybe I have been smoking too much Cairo and Haddos Delight. Also I find the price of Dan tobaccos to be a little pricey. In its defense, I do have to say that this is the first flake I have smoked that had no bite to it.

Cal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cal (1)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I found this a good candidate for an every day smoke. Very mild, so it doesn't overwhelm if smoked a lot. I found it had a very grassy, hey flavor, with maybe a hint of bitterness. The only bad thing I found about it, is it does have a bit of bite if you power smoke it, like I do. I recommend smoking it out of a long stemmed pipe.

Pipe Used: antique german hunters pipe

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This lovely flake is very similar to DAN Tobacco's offering of Patriot Flake, albeit slightly more mild in the nicotine department. An absolutely wonderful flake of different Virginia tobaccos, a great milder smoke to start your day in a good mood and do battle with the nonsense that every day life tosses at you.

Excellent Virginia tin aroma (hay, straw, slight molasses sweetness) with the room note and taste to match. A perfect all day smoke whilst doing tasks, mindless yard mowing, etc... Nothing complex about this one folks, just a great, mellow, very tasty and enjoyable smoke with no tongue bite.

I do detect a very slight topping as I do in Patriot Flake. Not so much a flavor as a sweetness. Not a pure tobacco Virginia sweetness, but whatever it is, it pairs perfectly with the otherwise pure Virginia smoking flavor. I also get a very slight spiciness, especially toward the end of the bowl. A little hint of Perique splashed in the mix? I am uncertain, but it works perfectly...

I'd give it 3.5 stars if I had the option. For now it has to get 3 as it is slightly too mild for my taste. Although I did just purchase a 9oz bag to cellar :-)

Pipe Used: Cassano Milano

Similar Blends: DAN Tobacco's Patriot Flake.

Steve Lewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve Lewis (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked and enjoyed Hamborger Veermaster for some time. This is a basic Virginia with a very pleasant and consistent smoking qualities. It is a flake and rubs out very well. Out of the tin this blend is perfect (not too moist and not dry). Haborger Veermaster has a sweet taste but not too sweet. The vitamin N is very slight and I would classify this blend as a light tobacco with a very pleasant room note.

Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Antihero (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Well, this has to be one of the smoothest straight virginia flakes i've ever smoked. Moisture is on the spot (I assume some drying would do no harm, though), it packs and lights easily, stays lit easily as well and produces no harsh tones or tongue bites whatsoever even when puffed quite hard.

The aroma is there right after lighting and stays over the full bowl with a little pleasant tangyness towards the end. It's sweet and mellow (as is said on the tin: "Seut un sacht"). Mellow, mellow, mellow indeed! Round, rich and soft and very delightful.

The only reason for not giving 4 stars is that it's a wee bit too sweet for my liking (hence I put "Extremely mild" in flavouring, because I've never had a virginia THAT sweet. It's not that I can put my finger on a specific flavouring). But that's personal preference, so 3 and a half stars for that one.

Smokers who prefer some edges in their virginias may find it a little boring.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I've heard for years, how great this tobacco is, so finally decided to pick up a tin. I don't know, maybe I got a bad batch, but I was severely disappointed. The only taste I could detect when smoked, was a slight peppery taste on my tongue....other then that, absolutely devoid of any taste related to tobacco. A total waste of money, as far as I'm concerned.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

Taste like they sprayed sugar water on this great looking flake burns hot and is like running razor blades acrosss my tounge

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (54)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

THis is a good straight VA. When I think about what tobacco in general should taste like I would think of this. However, the taste is a little thin for lack of a better term. This was a tin ROTT so some age might help it. I have smoked a little over half of the tin and placed the rest in to storage for a few years. Maybe 3 yrs or so will change my opinion on it. Again a good smoke, one that could be smoked all day except for the tongue bite. I have to smoke this in a small bowl and pay attention or it will bite. There are other VA's that I like better, SG's BBF and FVF would be a better option for my palate right now.

This tobacco was a disappointment.

Very similar to Patriot Flake and Former's Straight Grain Flake, a plain, almost bland tasting Golden VA which slightly bites the tongue from beginning to end of the bowl.

There is a sweet and citrus - like taste here and there. The remainder is hay.

My apologies, but I do not see the "buzz" created around this below average mixture.

There are much better offerings out there: Dunhill's Flake, for example.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tin dated 10/2006

I wasn't really sure what to expect with this HV. My expectation after reading several reviews was that it was a mild Virginia that didn't have too many new twists or turns to the classic Virginia blend. I cracked the tin only after my Christmas Cheer spot in my rotation opened up due to a tiring of that blend (and empty tin). Yes, Hamborger Veermaster is mild, but mild doesn't mean bland or tasteless. There is a lot of nice Virginia flavor here that is soft enough to smoke several bowls in a row but hearty enough to enjoy it no matter what one is doing. HV is the "Whirling Dervish" of the mild Virginias, it dances like no other. It's hard to ignore and is recommended for all lighter Virginia lovers.

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (5)

I find this to be a very "bright" Virginia tobacco.

The taste is of light Virginia tobacco with hay/straw notes. The tin I have displays some glittering crystals of sugar on the flakes, which is very nice to see.

While my preference leans toward VAs that are a little darker, this is an excellent example of a light Virginia flake.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I hear about this one a lot on various pipe forums but I don't see the numbers of reviews I expected. Only one other review this year - interesting. At any rate, this came to me at almost perfect tin moisture and I did not have to dry it out any further. Thin flakes running the VA color gamut and a nice sweet hay tin aroma.

I can't decide if this one is flavored or not but I'm leaning towards a very mild sweet topping. It didn't inpede the virginia flavor, however. This one did lean towards the high notes and middle register without providing much in the way of bass range. This was clean and refreshing without overdoing the citrus notes. Not much in the way of complexity here but not exactly a one-trick pony, either. It didn't really live up to the hype but it was a very fine smoke. I'd like a little more spice and darkness but this one is certainly recommended to those who enjoy the lighter virginias. I'm really happy I got to experience it, as it's been tough to find lately!

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Hamburger Beermaster is one of my favorite Virginia's. Highly recommended!

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Last week as the unbearable summer heat and stifling humidity pressed on, I found my favorite English blend was just too much, and my vaper wasn't delivering any great enjoyment. So I rummaged around my stock of tinned tobacco and chose Hamborger Veermaster. I recalled finding favor in this tobacco, but obviously not enough to have substantial back-stock. Because it is a flake, I cracked the tin open to flash off the moisture normally afforded to flake tobaccos, as well as, placed an estimated two day supply on the dash of my car for rapid de-humidification. I like my Virginians' dry. Well the result was my two day supply barely lasted a half day. I'm sure there's some rum and fruit topping on this weed but it didn't trump the tobacco taste. This isn't a tobacco of many subtleties, but rather just a light bodied smoke with ample strength. An inhale or two reminded I'm smoking tobacco. There may be a splash of Burley or even Kentucky- heck I don't care it just hit the spot. It didn't have the tang of say Hal O' The Wynd, but I wasn't looking for that component either. What a great break of pace- what a great tobacco, when I dry it out.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

From start to finish, one long case of tongue bite.

It is probably just my own personal chemistry. MacBaren Virginia blends affect me the same way. HV was harsh and burning, even when smoked very slowly in a churchwarden.

There is both a casing and a top dressing that are very evident. The pouch aroma is fruity and strong, but pleasant, and it does not come through in the smoke. The casing is somewhat lighter and simpler, likely honey or just plain sugar water.

I know this blend has many fans, but I can't recommend it. In addition to the harsh, burning tongue bite with almost every puff, there are simply dozens of better Virginia flakes to choose from.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For those of you who remember how good Capstan Blue was and it was so good, HV reminds me most of it. Mellow Virginia, with a great wheat straw smell in the tin. Rub it out and be gentle in puffing. Outstanding!!!

Chasm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chasm (3)

HV was among the first three or four tins I ever bought. And though I have since discovered that I prefer the English styles and LatBombs more often than not, this is the Virginia I reach for when I want to switch it up.

Again, I'm not deep into VA's - Hal O the Wind and McBaren Dark Twist are the only other two pure VA's I've tried - but both of those suffered from a too-tangy sweetness that turned me off before I could finish the tins. But Hamborger Veermaster keeps me coming back. This is a clean, easy smoke with a complexity that unfolds as you work through a bowl. Fun to play with too.

3 Stars - a solid smoke that I will continue to keep on hand.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of Hamborger Veermaster almost a year ago and never opened it until about a month ago. The flakes were not too moist and not too dry. I crumbled them and packed them in a brand new Viprati pipe with a fairly small to medium bowl.

The tobacco packed easily, lit easily, and burned to the bottom without a relight. I'd never smoked a flake before, nor anything with quite the same taste. I really enjoyed it and smoke it once or twice per week after lunch and sometimes on the weekends. It is now one of my favorites.

I've noticed this tobacco is sometimes hard to find. CAO imports this from Germany and after searching all over the internet and local shops, have not found another tin. I did finally find a shop this week that ordered 4 tins for me due in at the end of the month.

If you know German and want to buy 70 Euro's worth of goods, you can order straight from Dan Tobacco in Germany! :-)

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tins I've received from Dan Tobacco had a very low moisture level. The flakes were easily turning into dust. So I carefully put the containing into my tobacco humidifier. After a couple of days they were ready to smoke.

It packed and light well and it is easy to keep it lit. Burns even and cool offering a quite long smoke. The taste of the true tobacco is present, however it is not enough. Also the sweetness of fine Virginia is not satisfactory. It has a nice dosage of nicotine.

This is a fine all day tobacco. But not enough to satisfy a fastidious Virginia smoker.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

This is a nice clean, light tasting VA, which I might suggest for those who want to sit in the quiet and really think about what is burning in their bowl. I don't get to do that often enough. Most of my pipe smoking is on the road, and not in a comfy chair by the fire. It doesn't bite, the moisture is on the border in the tin. It could stand a TINY bit of drying for most folks. I just pack up a flake or two after a little bit of crumbling, not rubbing to ribbons, and DGT it. Smokes clean and dry, but not as potent in the flavor or nic department as I would like. I might revisit it in the near future, but there are other unopened tins in the cellar which are calling to me.

Cancerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cancerman (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I stopped in to my local tobacco shop to pick up a new pipe and decided to buy a tin as well. I have a fanny pack that I use to carry around all my smoking stuff and wanted a small reusable tin to refill with my bulk tobaccos. I liked the ship on this tin and the fact that it's pretty small, small enough to fit in my pack, and the fact that it had a screw top on it. It was a bit beat up on the shelf, only two cans left, so I picked one up and asked the shop owner what was in it. He replied, 'Tobacco of course'. Not what I wanted to hear LOL, he had to go in back and look it up. 'Pure Virginia with no casing' he said, so I decided to try it, my first ever pure virginia. I popped the tin right in the shop and smelled it, WOW it was amazing. The shop owner pulled out a little and showed me how to rub it out, I guess he assumed I was new to this LOL. About an hour later I drove up to a nice spot on the nature trail and hunkered down by a small stream under a cottonwood tree next to the ducks and squirrels and tried this out in my new bowl. The taste and smell was just wonderful, and it packed a punch (nicotine) that surprised me for a straight virginia. Several hours later I didn't smell like smoke, but rather had a sweet smell and aftertaste, not at all like the english blends I am used to. Man I love this stuff! If only I could find it in bulk....Hmmmmmm.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I love the tin artistry of this one and upon opening it I was greeted with a very sweet, fresh and somewhat musty fragrance. The flakes are on the thin side and they are a little wetter than I like. Rolled up in my Verona Rustica bent apple well enough and after a few lights, it burned well and the first taste was delicious. As I smoked it down the bowl, the taste went from a sweet VA to a strong and musty flavor. Not that this is bad, but I would rather had better balance. I did notice that the blend becomes stronger the more it was smoked and towards the end, it was very strong with just a little tongue bite. This one has to be sipped.

I did enjoy this blend and it burned down to a no dottle, dry dark grey ash which is a big plus. My tin was rather new and I think this blend will do much better with age. I think it would smooth the edges and will become a rich creamy smoke. I cannot give it four stars as I think there are better blends of this type out there, such as Irish Flake.

Edit-I was given another tin of this with about a year one it and I really think my first tin was another blend in the wrong tin. This blend does not bite and it is simply delicious and a great example of a VA. It is sweet, with the haylike taste and arom of a good VA and burns sweet all the way down. Of course a years time makes a lot of difference in a VA blend. I think with age on it, this blend becomes a really great blend.

Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought this on the strength of previous reviews, and find that I have to join in with the praise. The people at Dan Tobacco really have hit the spot marked "X" with Hamborger Veermaster. Plus, I love the pun in the name ("De Hamborger Veermaster" is a sea shanty about a dilapidated and run-down four-master during the time of the California gold rush of 1849 -- not the sort of ship one would want to sail on!)

Upon opening the tin, the aroma is very gentle and mellow, with a creamish-fruity note in it which seems to hint at a flavouring. The tin is filled up to the brim with edge-on flakes that are quite a bit less moist than most other flakes I have smoked so far; the tobacco is perfect to smoke and the flakes are brittle enough to be just stuffed in the pipe with a little rub between thumb and forefinger; it behaves just like a ready-rubbed.

With a little bit of rubbed-out tobacco topping off the bowl, this blend lights up nicely, burns cool even outdoors and won't bite if you keep in mind that you're not supposed to do a vacuum cleaner impression on your pipe. Also, as with most flakes, a small bowl may be a wise choice.

The smoke is gentle and sweet, definitely VA with nothing artifical to it at all. The room note, however, again suggests some sort of fruity aroma may have been added. Bit of a conundrum. It's pleasant, anyway, and not as sugary sweet as some other VA blends. In a wine, I'd describe it as "dry."

The pipe burns down to the very last embers without having to relight, leaving an even, light grey ash and extremely little in the way of moisture. Overall, Hamborger Veermaster is a very nice smoke and will find its way into my tobacco cabinet on a regular basis.

Update, 20-10-2010: Chocolate and VA. VA and chocolate. The more I smoke this blend, the more I notice the chocolate flavour. In a very good way, as it does not intrude in any way. Up-rating to four stars. This is one of those rare, unique aromatics that manage to improve on Mother Nature.

Oh, and @hagen: STOP SHOUTING!!! If you find fault with the description of a tobacco, just quietly correct it like the rest of us. And frankly, who gives a rat's arse whether a tobacco this good has been flue cured, air cured or cured of 'flu?

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)

first: THIS IS NOT AIR CURED BUT FLUE CURED!!!!

and the review:

tin aroma is pretty nice and clean, without being in the same league as bbf or escudo.

a bit too dry in the tin. might explain the lack of fermentational notes? lights easily, of course. very mild, woodsy/vanilla-ish flavour, with only the faintest whiff of berries. slightly sweet. the vanilla notes just might be an added flavour.

burns well, of course. relights add a bit of strength to the taste without being unpleasant in any way.

i think this one will be absolutely splendid for aging in jars if humidified a bit, but when new it lacks some depth.

baking it helps a lot, too.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

Nice size of tin and cut of flake, a little on the dry side but rubs out well and you just know it will burn the same.

Once lit, which is very easy, I get a sudden burst of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce !!! Meaty Beefy flavour, this now settles down to a "rich to medium" flavour, subtle, not overpowering, most certainly interesting, which in itself is a releif as I've just bought three tins based on the reviewers below !!!

This tobacco makes me tend to think on the lines of Marlin flake, but only on those lines, the Veermaster makes a mark of it's own with a sort of sweet and sour taste, but never bitter. Requiring minimum of attention and burning down to a fine ash, no dottle, no waste and a pleasant aftertaste.

A tobacco I could smoke in the late afternoon to early evening, this is not a tobacco that requires a full stomach, on the contrary, I could smoke this as an apertife before a good dinner as this never leaves me with a full or bloated feeling.

Final thoughts, I will smoke the three tins I have and decide then to replace them or not. An excellent quality virginia, have a tin around, yes. Rush out to buy, no. Therefore only three stars

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

What a delight! No bite and a very neutral and natural taste, which I appreciate. To me, this is a well-above-average straight Virginia blend.

I see the similarities with Orlik Golden Slices that some reviewers mention. I concur, but I prefer Veermaster.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a nice VA flake with natural taste and good burning properties. A tobacco for long enjoyment!

behindbars1544 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
behindbars1544 (6)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

First off let me start by saying that when I review a cigar or tobacco I don?t go as deep as ?tasted nutty? or ?had a leathery finish?. Maybe my palate isn?t as sensitive or refined as others but I have yet to taste ?leather? in anything I smoke. In fact I?m not sure I want to. If I wanted to taste leather I?d go lick my couch. My reviews are always my gut feeling of what I thought.

With that being said I have to admit, at the risk of angering some, that Dan tobacco?s is just about last on my favorite blendes list HOWEVER in their defense I have only tried a handful of their blends. Veermaster on the other hand has me take a second look. I received a tin of this as a trade with an online buddy. When I saw ?Made by Dan Tobacco? on the label I thought, here we go again, however upon opening the tin I was greeted by a wonderful ?clean natural? tobacco smell. This sparked my interest but I have enjoyed the tin smell of many blends before just to be disappointed by the results. This was not the case here. This is an extremely mild Virginian blend which in itself will make any seasoned smoker say ?did he use the words Virginian blend and extremely mild in the same sentence?? Both very mild and clean burning I would highly recommend this blend to any new pipe smoker making the transition from aromatics to Virginians. I experienced no ?Virginian bite? like most have and no mater how calmly or aggressively I puffed away it remained very cool and enjoyable. I also feel that this would be a great blend to break in new pipes with due to the neutral flavor and clean burning characteristics. Good job on this one guys?

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first time with either a straight Virginia or a flake tobacco. All in all I was satisfied with this blend.

Rather than rub this tobacco out, to get its fullest flavor as some have recommended I just stuffed it straight into the pipe. This method required frequent relights, but as a contemplative, unhurried smoker this was fine by me.

The tin aroma is a lovely fruity, figgy smell. The taste in the pipe is sweet if not particularly complex.

This is the meat and three veg of pipe tobacco: simple, unseasoned and to the point. I would definitely smoke this tobacco again.

The price of the tin is a bit on the steep side, though, so I might give Best Brown Flake a try first to see how it compares.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

Hamborger Veermaster is nice, quiet Virginia Flake for those times when only a nice, quiet smoke will do. The real treat with this tobac comes in the second half of the bowl, where a grassy sweetness comes to the fore.

This is not a "me, too" VA flake, and not suited to heavy puffing. It won't replace Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake in my rotation, but it's place there is assured.

Highly Recommended for the Virginia lover.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Based on the previous reviews I was hoping for a mellow Virginia to relax with. What I tasted was a shallow Va. with too little going on, to keep me interested. I agree with those who say this is a mellower version of Orlik's Golden Slices. I do not demand robust flavors from my Va. tobaccos, but I want a certain heft and general feel that I am smoking something of substance. Hamborger Veermaster fails to keep my palette satisfied.

TerryJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TerryJ (7)

Just finished my first tin of this fine tobacco. This seems to be a bit milder than several other Virginias I've had. Has a very pleasant smell upon opening the tin. Rather small flake as compared to AStley's 109 which I consider a rather large flake.

Very little rubbing out was required and the moisture content seemed just about perfect right from the tin. I use the three step packing method and Veermaster required nothing special in the way of packing. One light after charring seemed the norm. Smoked down to a clean ash with only a tamp or two. I tend to smoke VA's in a group 3 pipe.

Taste is very smooth with just a touch of sweetness. One of the more pleasant room aromas in my experience for a VA. Easy to keep cool and very consistent through the bowl. On occasion I've had Va's that give a little bite towards the end, but not so here. All in all, a very pleasant Va.

I give it only 3 stars because it's been my experience that VA's improve with age. I'll try this again and give a report in one year. I expect this will be a 4 star VA. At least I hope so, I just bought 10 tins! :)

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have to say right up front that I really wanted to like this tobacco. Everything I've heard was very positive. Many people claim Hamborger Veermaster to be one of their favorite Virginia tobaccos. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same.

Upon opening the tin the aroma of Hamborger Veermaster is wonderful, very figgy, like fruitcake, with a background hint of chocolate. Very enticing. The flakes were moister than I like, but after a day of the tin being left open, they were perfect for my liking. The flakes did not lift out of the tin uniformly, so I treated the tobacco as a broken flake, roughly rubbing them out, and loading the bowl with small "chunks." I rubbed out a little bit very thoroughly as tinder for the top.

The tobacco lit easily, and the flavor of the top 1/4 of the pipe was terrific. Very sweet and flavorful. However, I found that as I smoked further into the bowl the tobacco changed flavor and became very cigar-like. The sweetness departed, and I never got the rich depth of Virginia flavor that I look forward to when I smoke Virginias. I can say without ambiguity that I did not enjoy the second half of the pipes I smoked of Hamborger Veermaster. I tried a variety of pipes dedicated to Virginias, from a Bosi with a tapered tobacco chamber, to a small Connoisseur I use for flakes, a small bowled Stanwell bamboo, Ferndown bulldog, a couple different McCranie pipes (made by Tonino Jacono) and a large Pipa Croci. I found that the sweet Virginia flavor lasted longest in a wide-bowled McCranie pot/chubby billiard and the Ferndown. Perhaps this tobacco needs a broad bowl to achieve it's best flavor.

I should add my tin is 2+ years old, and I experienced no tongue bite whatsoever. I did find the end of the pipe, especially in tapered bowls, to have a bit of a nicotene punch. Not a lot, but noticeable.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Hamborger Veermaster is an exceedingly well-behaved flake. Easy to pack in its broken flake form or rubbed out. It burns steadily down to the bottom, leaving no dottle, just fine grey ash. It is the kindest virginia on the tongue, in my experience.

The taste and the aroma are pure tobacco. In the course of the bowl a variety of subtle, but entirely natural flavours appear. This is almost the perfect all-day smoke, though in the evenings I turn to latakia/oriental mixtures. It does not reveal its charms immediately, but deeper acquaintance is highly engaging. Perhaps not for the novice - its attractions are understated and grow on you with each bowl. Highly recommended to all lovers of pure tobacco.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is by far the best virginia smoke I have had yet. Smooth, sweet and great natural aroma. I find this much better than Fribourg & Treyer, Cut Virginia Plug. Smoking this tobacco before bed will give you dreams of manning the helm of a four mast at full sail. "Aye Aye Captain!, Steady on course three six zero!"

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)

This is a nice, clean Virginia blend that smokes evenly, slowly, and with that sweet Virginia kick I enjoy for a change of pace. I picked up 50g tin (his last) on the recommendation of my tobacconist, and I'm glad I did. It needed a little drying after I opened it, but after that, it rubs out well, lights up without any fuss, and stays lit after the char. It starts out in an unassuming manner, although you know it's a Virginia, but really picks up and rounds out mid-bowl. It has a soft, mild finish. You can almost hear it asking you to smoke just one more bowl. No bite, nothing fancy, and it gets a place in my rotation as a good Virginia blend to fall on when the mood strikes. Three stars hits the spot.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm with pipestud on this one, mild, bland...interesting flavors now and then. I have an old Bassett Hound and he is not laid back...this tobacco is.

UPDATE! Tried this a day later in another pipe and what a difference! Either I had a fouled pipe/ mouth the first go around or the Tobacco Taste Fairy hit my tin with her wand overnight. Rich, full, sweet flavor right to the bottom and has gone to the head of my Va. class.

dunhill grp 3.... Second time: dunhill grp 5

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

A cool smoking ,long lasting ,and clean tasting killer smoke ! would make an easy all day smoke

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I really enjoy this virginia, I dont smoke it every day but when I do pick up a tin, I burn through it pretty quickly.

Like all virginia tobaccos, smoke it slowly, and you will be rewarded with a sweet satisfying smoke. What else do you need to know?

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)

This is a pretty good natural virginia flake. It's not particularly sweet or bitey, but has a nice natural tobacco flavor. This tobacco is somewhat expensive and there are some bulk virginias that I like a bit better, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab a tin of this if I were travelling and needed to restock.

Overall, a pleasant and satisfying tobacco.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

I've been on a Virginia binge lately, and this one was on the list. Interesting thin cut flakes with an almost string like look when broken apart. Nice moisture level. Flavor's a bit moderate, not too sweet. First half of the bowl fairly insignificant. Picks up mid to bottom of the bowl.

A little above average in my book. Wouldn't pick it up again.

2.5 of 4.0

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)

Nice sturdy round tin with a rubber seal to ensure freshness. Very similar to other premium blends. The leaf comes in pressed flake form and is easy to manage practically disintegrating into perfect shreads if too heavy a hand is used-all one needs to do is pull a bit out and pack it directly into the pipe. The leaf lights very easily and burns cool without any excessive moisture. The flavor is thoroughly Virginia. Smooth with the perfect toasty bottom that I look for in a Virginia leaf. This is a wonderful flake, and I highly recommend it to any lover of Virginia pureblends. It is a remarkable, and honest leaf that I hold in high esteem along with Marlin Flake, Stonehaven, and Escudo.

It lacks the depth of some of the dark stoved VA's that I enjoy, though there is a zesty light flavor that is remarkably not unlike Dunhill's Light Flake, and Tordenskjold Virginia Slices.

Highly recommended to the VA smokers interested in a tobacco with no bite and a hankering for a straight VA profile.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

The flake crumbles easily, lights easily and burns cool, slow and even without any bitterness, steam or excessive moisture. The flavor is a smooth VA with a slight hint of chocolaty top notes and toasty base notes. This is of the same quality as Marlin Flake and Orlik Golden Slices, maybe even better. Overall this is just a super smooth and tasty VA that is a constant in my rotation.

Argo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Argo (17)

Ah, Veermaster. This is what i think of when Virginia flake is uttered. It's the polar opposite of marlin flake. Air cured, light, undertones of honey and hay, absolutely delicious. The flakes are very thin and pliable, gorgeous threads of golden virginia. Upon popping the tin and loading a pipe, the moisture level is perfect. Every shread is consigned to fluffy pure white ash, making the experience ever more perfect. End bowl gets a little spicy, and reveals blasts of the carmelized sugar/honey notes. This, along with Tordenskjold Slices, are highly underrated masterpieces of Dan Tobacco. Highest recommendations.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is nice tobacco - but it must contain Burley and I definitely smell chocolate after rubbing the flakes out.

The middle/roundness of this blend is far too robust for a pure virginia. Now, the added leaf may be another varietal but to my sense of taste it's burley.

The chocolate? This is subtle but I promise that if you'll rub the flakes out and immediately smell what you've just rubbed.. it's chocolate. Pure VA reminds my nose of orange pekoe tea.. not Ghiradelli!

Nice flake tobacco but this doesn't have the usual "woody and bright" flavor of the types of virginia flakes that I prefer. About halfway through the bowl the virginia started to peek it's head through the mix but it never developed much sweetness or sourness.. that doesn't make this a bad blend but it certainly isn't what I expected.

From the first light I waited for the Virginia taste and this never really happened. Some compare this to Orlik Golden Sliced but frankly, I don't see it at all. OGS has that woody VA taste even though the burley is there. HV doesn't. Is it the chocolate? Could be. Is there more burley in HV? Could be. I believe it's a combination of both.

The chocolate (or, what my smeller detects to be chocolate) is subtle yet once you look/smell for it, you'll find it - like Heinz Ketchup in McClellands blends.

A good smoke, middle-weighted and rather monochromatic. This doesn't bite and provides the smoker with a nice experience. But, it's not a classic pure virginia flake, IMO. HV gains strength as you get into the meat of the bowl but at no time does it get strong.

I'll smoke this on occasion but recommend Freiborg & Treyor "Cut Virginia Plug" as a weighty virginia with no bite.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (36)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I like this Virginia. Whatever, if any, flavoring has been added is slight. I like the smell in the tin and the flavor when smoking it. This is one I keep on hand.

Assuming Dan still sells a 250g tin, it is an interesting way to purchase this. The flakes were a good foot long as they didn't have to be cut to fit a 50g tin. They just folded them up to fit the larger tin.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised when first tried this tobacco. After smoking some F&T Cut Virginia Plug, I loaded up my Charatan expecting a light citrusy grassy virginian but, however, an earthy plain tobacco flavor was detected. I loved it. Some people may disagree but there are similarities between the flavor of Hamborger Veermaster and my old favorite, Samuel Gawith's Brown Rope #4. HV is not as strong as the rope but has a certain natural plain taste that's enjoyable. It is also slightly sweeter and smoother. Now, I know the description is virginian, but I swear there is a substantial amount of burley in HV. This is not a pure virginian tobacco. The smoke is wonderful, especially when you are outside grilling a steak and drinking a beer. A good solid no-nonsense tobacco.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Simply put, this is one of the finest virginia blends available. It burns extremely clean and the taste is remarkable. It seems to become even more flavorful further into the bowl.

Similar to Orlik Golden Sliced, but with better flavor.

4 stars!

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)

Without a doubt, this is a "holy grail" smoke. VA at it's ultimate finest. Slow-burning, cool-smoking, nice, and sweet. VA's in my opinion is a tobacco for the experienced pipe smoker. Not because it is particularly dangerous, or hazardous, but because a neophyte most likely wouldn't have the ability to appreciate it until they've had at least 20 or 30 different pipe tobaccos.

This is a fine, fine blend, and will be an integral staple in my collection. One of the absolute best VA's that I have ever been privileged to smoke. Hamborger Veermaster should be an award winning tobacco.

Cheers!

Daniel

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A good Virginia flake, mild and smells like good hay in the tin. Not the best Virginia I've ever puffed, but this one is worth a try. It seems to have an aged taste and puffed slow the good Virginia flavour sweetly rolls out.Not bad at all.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Make no mistake. Hamborger Veermaster is a great Virginia blend! It has no bite and I found it to be sweet and mild as described on the tin. Slow and sipped puffs, as recommended for all Virginias, especially enhanced the qualities of this tobacco. HV has good burn qualities and relights, although few, were very pleasurable. HV is/would be a great all day smoke.

I rate this tobacco 9.9 out of 10.

Eldrich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eldrich (7)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is great stuff. Because of the tin, some people think this blend is called "Beermaster", which I think is amusingly appropiate because this is an excellent companion to a pint of lager.

The predominant aroma is a delicious, mild Virginia. This tobacco also has a slightly sharp edge to the aftertaste, it reminds me of the cigarettes I used to smoke before. At first I didnt like it, but now I've grown used to it and even enjoy it.

Flake purists might be distressed by the fact that this looks a bit messy in the tin, and it's a bit hard to extract a single intact flake. I don't mind, however. Usually I simply fold a couple of flakes, stick them in a Vauen Classic and rub some tobacco out on top for igniting. Once this gets going, it burns smoothly and evenly and doesn't need any relights. It leaves a clean and dry grey-white ash, and won't bite even an impatient, greedy smoker such as myself.

An excellent tobacco, try it!

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a wonderful looking classic Virginia flake. It comes in beautiful golden brown flakes and has a wonderful tin aroma. It just smells delicious, and it is. It burns quite well either rubbed out or when packed 'sausage style' and, perhaps most importantly, it doesn't bite, even when smoked too fast. It smokes cool from first light to ash. Like most Virginias, Veermaster has a very naturally sweet flavor which intensifies as it creeps towards the end of the bowl, yet it doesn't become overwhelming at all. It's not a terribly complex tobacco, but that's OK because it is delicious through and through. Very sweet & very pleasant, this tobacco would be a wonderful introduction to the world of Virginias for any neophyte. I definitely recommend the Beermaster.

Rocketman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rocketman (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a really beautiful flake. Opening a fresh tin you notice striations varying from a medium brown thru some lighter shades like a dark cream. Opening an aged tin, as I have just done, all the colors appear to be a few shades darker. The tin aroma is light and airy without any hint of the pequency which portends the dreaded "Devourer of Tongues". The strips are fairly pliable, making for an easy "pack". I tend to roll some up and gently load my pipe then rub up a bit for the top as an aid to getting a good light. After a few minutes of gentle puffing, it settles down to an extremely soft, creamy, smoke. It tastes sweet as a good virginia should but not in the way of any artificial flavors or toppings. No uncomfortable heat, no bite. True, it is a bit one dimentional but who cares as long as that dimention resides well into "The Zone"! I think it is a good start for those who want to get into Virginia Flakes without worryin' about suckin' on a blowtorch. As far as the "Wife Rating" (room note), my wife has never complained. Course I ain't seen her in 30 years. But while I sometimes miss the steady companionship, I am in the envyable position of smokeing my pipe to please myself. And I like it!!! In conclusion, don't be put off by my "smoke this on occasion" rating. I like my tobaccos aged and I've only got 4 six year old tins left, so I'm tryin' to make it stretch. Rating - 85 out of 100!

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)

This blend is just too easy, and I can't think of a better recommendation for the first time VA flake smoker. Pack and burn are a complete no-brainer. Poor technique can cause any VA to nip at the tongue, but you would practically have to try to make this one bite. It looks dark and fairly imposing in the tin, but it's as smooth and carefree a flake as I can think of, marred only by an occasional hashness towards the end. The taste is a model of pure Virginia tocacco, if not particularly complex, sort of along the lines of an Old Gowrie- straight, simple, and proper. Nothing huge or ornery here. It is only modestly sweet, and completely devoid of the excessive tang that accompanies so many other flakes.

Some may find this boring, and I can't rightly argue the point. Still, whenever I revisit this blend I am reminded of how satisfying a smooth, natural smoke can be.

First impression: a mellow blend, very well done, but nothing more. Yet as you keep on smoking it, the blend gradually reveals itself as a rich, plentiful Virginia, oscillating in between the naturally sweet and the tangy-sour registers, exceedingly smooth, very well behaved and easy to smoke. As you progress down the bowl the undertones of this tobacco are enticing and absorbing. There are red wine notes, a bit of a toasted nuance, a trace of wooded aromas and, of course, a rounded Virginia tobacco flavor that captivates as well as sooths.

I have been smoking this in a brand new Savinelli "Bing's favorite" smooth. There is such an understanding between pipe and tobaco, that I get the feeling that I am just participant (nay, an instrument)of a secret ritual.

The flakes in HB come indeed moist, but IME (in my experience) they are perfectly smokable. I was amazed at the ease with which you can roll them into the bowl. They took to the light with no problem and the burning qualities were excellent. Equally interesting is the fact that there is no tongue bite whatsoever, and the aftertaste is mild and zesty (quite similar to Bjarne?s Flake de Luxe, though the latter is sweeter). A wonderful tobacco, rich in flavor, mild to medium in strength, that can be enjoyed any time, any where. IMO, a real Virginia winner. It should not be missed!

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is a tobacco that I found needed to be aired out in order to be smokable. Smoking a bowl immediately upon opening delivered a significant nasal burn. This was substantially reduced by letting the tobacco sit. In my case that was about two months, but I suspect that a week or two would be sufficient. My tin was unaged.

This tobacco is packed as a thick flake, about two inches long. It rubs out nicely. My practice is generally to rub flakes out to the point that they are soft strands, which may not be to everyone?s taste.

Initial flavor is fairly bright, but with a slightly nutty character. After a short DGT, the middle of the bowl grows in the intensity of flavor, but also startsto get slightly bitter/tarry. The bottom of the bowl continues this trend and becomes somewhat distracting.

It is possible that some of the problems that I experienced had to do with smoking too quickly as a result of the full rubbing. I plan to give this another try less rubbed out to reduce the burning speed to see if this makes any difference. I will add to this review at that point.

November 2002

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Until Hamborger Veermaster, I have never enjoyed any tobacco with a sailing ship on the label. But having been fortified by the reliable delights of this smoke, I am ready to tackle more ship-, airplane-, and even dog-tobaccos.

More seriously, I agree with the esteemed Eulenberg and the other reviewers concerning the excellence of this offering. It is fast becoming a go-to smoke for me and is particularly good in the summer heat.

Thanks to Joshua Rosenblatt for his recommendation.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

This is a thick cut flake composed of medium brown color with some black strips and a very little bit of bright yellow birdseye. I keep it on the moist side in the tin. I break off what I need and let it dry out before smoking it. The tin aroma is definitely pressed Virginia with its typical citrus overtones. This is similar to Orlick Golden Sliced. The latter being a thinner, longer, and more yellow flake with a brighter and stronger citrus aroma. On any given day, I may prefer one over the other

This can be smoked rolled or rubbed out. I prefer to rub it out. It can be rubbed out to a coarse cut all the way down to a cigarette cut. Smoking flavor is a medium Virgina with a mild but sweet lemon flavor with just a bit of peppery moments. If careful, easy puffing will avoid tongue bite. Even if rushed, the bite is minimal as compared to other Virginias. There is nothing extra ordinary during the smoke, but a good straight forward tobacco. Nicotine content is medium. There is no zing when blown out through the nose. Taste is consistent throughout the bowl gaining a bit of strength near the end. If kept on the dry side, it burns clean to the bottom of the bowl, with no dottle, to a whitish gray ash. Room aroma is cigarette like. It is part of my regular tobacco rotation. I would turn to it more often if there was a bit of Perique in it. Still, I plan to always have some on hand.

ruggiero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruggiero (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

As a predominantly English-Oriental smoker, this website has inspired me to explore the world of high quality VA blends which is why I decided to pick this one up off the shelf and give it a try. The aroma in the tin is that of a pretty sweet aromatic and it's amazing that this blend has no casings and all the sweetness is derived from the high quality VAs. It was easy to light and stay lit and burned completely cool. No tongue bite whatsoever. The end of the smoke in my oversized Savinelli Deluxe left absolutely no dottle or moisture which further lends credence to the thought that there are no casings here to speak of. This was a great smoke. I was pretty surprised at the mild buzz I received after a large bowlful. Perhaps the nicotine content is on the high side. The room note was terrific. This is a great change of pace smoke for me, and I'll be sure to always have some Veermaster on hand.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a winner from the sweet aroma that greets you when opening the tin thru the last puff. One of the naturally sweeter straight VAs that I enjoy and can smoke all day smoke without loosing interest or scorching my tongue. Smooth, cool and consistent taste without any hint of bite. Give it a try.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

I have been smoking Hamborger Veermaster for many years. I have enjoyed it so much that it is well stocked on the shelves of my cellar. I love the tin art of the clipper ship, but I should probably say something about the what's inside the tin. The tobacco is a medium brown in color, cut into flakes that break up easily into smaller pieces for packing into the pipe. I am not sure what to say about the aroma, but there is an almost licorice sent to it. The moisture level is just a tad more than I like as I prefer my tobacco dry. At this amount of moisture most smokers would probably say it is just right. It lights easily and stays lit pretty well. The first draw has a nice mild flavor. It is sweet, but not overly sweet. The taste is what I consider to be a true Virginia. No extra fruity topping, but the taste of tobacco. The flavor gets better as you go so that by mid bowl the taste is very nice. It finishes with still a nice sweetness without any bitterness. This blend is in the light Virginia category such as Orlik Golden Sliced. HV is just a bit smoother, a little more refined than the Orlik that I consider a fine blend.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This a very easy-smoking virginia! It comes in loose slices that are very tolerant of packing technique. I generally just grab a bit, fold it in half, and shove it in the bowl. Burns fairly cool and consistent all the way down, with no hint of tongue bite. Good solid virginia sweetness and flavor with just a hint of fruit casing (peach?) if I puff it just right, but not enough to be distracting or for me to be really certain if it is indeed cased. The sweetness seems pretty naturally virginia to me.

It's not a particularly complex or powerful tobacco like some of the McClellands blends, but its low-hassle smokability and lack of catsup aroma more than compensates in my opinion. It possesses a medium body and flavor, although the flavor does intensify a bit towards the bottom of the bowl.

This is a very nice all-day virginia, definitely recommended. If you're one of those persons who are prone to tongue-bite (like me), it's highly recommended.