An elegant & captivating pipe tobacco comprised of select choice leaf (Burley, Virginia, Black Cavendish and Cyprian Latakia), gently fragrant with an intoxicating aroma. A classic crossover tobacco blended to satisfy the smoker while pleasing those around them.

BrandE. Hoffman Company
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia
Packaging2.5oz Tin
Strength
Taste
3.2

I got a free sample of this from Ash Tobaccos in Gaylord, Michigan. This is a great shop I visit every trip up north. Every time I visit they have a new surprise awaiting me. Last November for Whitetail Rifle season, they had this and the Spillman Mixture in the 7 oz. cans. I was hesitant of making such a large purchase so they gave me a sample to try. Like I said, great store.

I enjoy the reviews of the distinguished gentleman below, so I was excited to try this his namesake. The tin aroma threw me. while I was expecting an aromatic english blend the smell actually repulsed me a bit, but I ventured on with the first bowl as I was leaving the store. I was not overly impressed so I put it aside and jarred it when I got home.

Some time definitely did it some good as in four months time I started to enjoy the blend. I finished my last bowl last night and will likely buy that 7 oz can after I smoke through some more of my stock. I am pretty heavy in this genre at the moment.

fustillat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fustillat (6)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Here is my impression after a month of smoking this blend daily. The mesmerizing tin aroma is very misleading as it completely disappears when fired up, so it's useless to build expectations on it. The flavor is very subtle, so it should be smoked in a closed area to relish it fully, also DGT is recommended, otherwise you might have the impression that you're smoking tap water. It has zero tongue bite.

Update on 15 Feb 2013: Maybe it has to do with a few month's aging that I began to like this blend a lot more as it proved to be an excellent morning smoke when my senses are still not very keen. Upgraded from Recommended to Highly recommended.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

Another pleasant blend from E. Hoffman Company. Distinguished Gentleman isn't a blend which is going to kick you in extasy, but it is reliable for every occassion and it will not let you down. It burns well, gives pleasant sensation and it matches at evety time of day.

My rate: 4.3

August Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
August (4)

Spilman Mixture's more elegant and subdued brother. Is it possible to be too civilized? Mmmmaybe. I still like it though. The cavandish makes this a different tobacco but the family resemblence is unmistakeble. I think of this as a late evening smoke, when the day is winding down. A man needs a tobacco like that around and this is mine.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin.

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

From the description I really looked forward to trying this blend. Lately I've really enjoyed the blending of Burley, Cavendish and Latakia in a number of tobaccos and in my own experimental blends. After opening the pleasingly nostalgic tin I was greeted with a very pleasant aroma reminiscent of raisins. The cut was very chopped up and fine like what I had found in some generic store brand blends of the past. However with the anticipation of happy puffing I loaded up an old classic Sasieni Lovat and lit up. Immediately as I began to draw on my pipe up some of those finely ground particles found their way into my mouth. Undaunted I expectorated and continued. At first the smoke was smooth, fragrant and pleasant tasting, similar to the Altadis Revelation match. My pleasant piping was abruptly cut short when very soon my pipe stem began to fill with nasty, acrid juice and the flavor now became very harsh in kind of artificial and chemical tasting manner. Now this blend began to remind me of another disappointment, Rattrays Professional Mixture. Both smelt of raisins, started off very nicely and then became too aromatic in an unpleasant manner. Like P.M. my solution in order to enjoy D.G. is to treat it like an aromatic and smoke it in one of my Vauen, Big Ben or Dr. Grabow filter pipes.

12/17/2012: I'm updating my review. As I suspected, this blend should be treated as a "drugstore style" aromatic and smoked in a filter pipe. I'm now puffing away with this stuff loaded up into a Vauen. While still a bit chemical tasting the nastiness has been filtered out and I could recommend this to someone looking to try out a 1970'S style drugstore pipe tobacco. while I won't be smoking it that often I'll move it up to three stars. 12/25/2012: I likely shouldn't spend so much time writing about such a mediocre tobacco but I felt an update was appropriate. I continued to try and enjoy this blend filtered as I smoke other drugstore and aromatic blends. The more you smoke it the less you like it. While supposedly rather mild it even filtered has a very nasty gaseous and chemical aspect that makes it become unpleasant as the smoking proceeds. Back to a very lenient two stars. I'll put this stuff away for a few years and save my palate for better blends. Again only recommended for a time machine drug store tobacco experience.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This reminds me of 4 Noggins, " Bald Headed Teacher" but instead of a strong vanilla it has a strong rum topping, both with Latakia overtones . This is also similar to Boswells "Premium Burley" that has whiskey topping and stronger Burley. In any case, I feel the Burley comes through stronger than I like and the topping tends to have some bite, this might improve with age. I will not buy again.

kongsdad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kongsdad (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have only been puffn on a pipe for 10 months after smoking cigs for 40+ yrs.Ive tried numerous blends virginias,english, aromatics balkans and small batch blends .This tobacco in my case was a direct result of this website and all the reviews I have read. That has been the case in practicly all my purchases.For that I thank you all. As such it is also my first review. When I first bought DG everything that has already been said rang true except I thought the flavor was weak and after 6bowls decided to let it sit in a mason jar for 3 months. I took it out and met the same great tin aroma and room aroma and burn qualities but it was still weak. Well having 7 oz. of weak tasting smoke around did'nt sit well with me soooooo. another first for me I bought some blending latakia and perique and went to work. I weighed what DG I had left and added 10% mc clelland latakia and 2% of the weight in mc cl perique. and let it sit for a month. BOOM this is the greatest tasting tobacco IMHO ever. I smoke 5-6 bowls a day and this blend is usually 3 of them. All I did was take the smog off a hot rod chevy and now it screams . I thought of trying hoffmans Spillmans blend but this is my go to smoke and I love it so much that I have made a pound that I cellared and one that I'm smoking so some time later I might .GREAT STUFF

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Greetings everyone! This is not a coincidence that "Thedstnguishdgntlmn" is reviewing "Distinguished Gentleman". I have been a customer at Iwan Ries for over a decade. They are the Nicest folks on the planet and run the best Pipe store in the world. My gratitude to Chuck, Susie, Kevin, Ron, Adam, Keith, & Mike for their friendship over the years and now for this new tobacco. Now, on to the review. I greatly enjoy crossover blends. I would often go into the store and tell the guys some of my FRANKEN MIXTURES that I would create using Iwan Ries blends. One day they asked me to try their new , and at the time Un-named blend. I was very impressed. It was sweet, mild, smoky, and very cool.Little did I know it would become Distinguished Gentleman. The Blend is a Shag/Ribbon cut. About a 50/50 mix of light and dark tobaccos. When you pop the tin you are greeted by a wonderful old timey aromatic smell. It is fragrant but not in a syrupy way. You cannot quite put your finger on the flavor. At first light you will be greeted by a sweet and crisp flavor. It is actually like biting into a nice cold apple. The smoke has a TEXTURE to it. After about 2 minutes it develops into a creamy and slightly sweet flavor, yet all the while maintaining a true tobacco flavor. At this point you will begin to taste the slightest wisp of Latakia. From then it is all smooth sailing. There is absolutely nothing I can compare it to. It is not a crossover like "just for him" blends. They are very good but you taste Sweet Cavendish then Latakia. This mixture has all the elements come together to form a truly unique flavor.I will say that if you enjoy 3 Star tobaccos and Latakia this will be very satisfying. It is unusual and needs to be tried. Not for the Latakiaphile or the Candy crowd but definietly for true connoisseurs of fine tobacco. Well worth a try. P.S. The room note is heavenly while you taste a little Latakia. 4 STARS!

pipincool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipincool (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This has to be the worst pipe tobacco I've ever smoked. The smell out of the can was almost soapy - it didn't belong as a flavoring or casing at all. That was about as good as it got. The flavor was terrible to non-existent, the smoke made me sneeze and the tongue bite was the worst I've ever experienced. One star - for the design on the tin and nothing else.

Pipe Used: briar

bws2158 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bws2158 (5)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

i bought this based on reviews from this site, and regretted doing so. there's not much to it, and i found it didn't agree with me, causing a few coughing outbursts (which is unusual for me). just not my thing, apparently. i know this review probably isn't very helpful. i just found it very forgettable.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Very mild and easy to smoke. Burns well and tastes unique. I detect no vanilla and only the slightest hint of whisky. I do, however, detect something strangely appealing: pencil shavings. I happen to like the smell of pencil shavings and this tobacco has that same earthy woodiness. A nice change of pace from heavy aromatics. Try it, you'll like it.

marc7570 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marc7570 (2)

i received a sample of this tobacco from iwan reis. if you think spillman mixture is a little strong then you will love this one. a bit sweet. easy to light and keep lite.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (18)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Every nw and then you bump into something that is just fantastic. I have really gotten tired of Latakias, but two friends told me about this blend. So I thought why not. At any rate, about this tobacco. Wow! Creamy. Smooth. Crossover. Aromatic. I don't care what it is. Don't care what is in it. This stuff is great. Just smoke it. This the sort of stuff you to sit and smoke in the barbersop. Thus I conclude another highly antalytical review.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (29)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

not a bad aromatic type blend but it will bite, my tongue felt scorched

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)

I find this blend to be quite nice. It lights and stays lit easily enough. It burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. I think this has a somewhat unique smell out of the tin. All the components of this blend come together quite nicely with none really overpowering the others. All in all, I would definitely recommend this fine blend.

R.M. Schultz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.M. Schultz (7)
Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

Spilman Mixture + cavendish. Nice, but I just don't care for cavendish. Well cut, burns well. As a regular Spilman smoker I was given a sample of this to try and, though it was nice, it's just not for me.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I very impetuously ordered the 7oz tin before trying it, based on the first 2 reviews below. After waiting patiently for a month (I am very, very far from the nearest Friendly Tobacconist), I finally heard the mailman approaching. I admit that by this time, I was a bit too overexcited, and nothing less than The Greatest Tobacco Ever Made would have satisfied me.

First impressions: the tin is nice and old-timey, with what I believe is an exact replica of the old label (right down to the tax sticker). Upon opening, I was hit with a wave of "can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it", which is the only way I can describe the flavour of this blend. Maple syrup? Marshmallows on burnt toast? Marmalade? I don't know. Half sweet, half earthy, half salty. (That's too many halves, I know.) The appearance of the tobacco is very pleasing: gold, black and brown strips.

Packed and lit like a dream, as I had expected. Pre-light draw was quite sweet, but once lit the sweetness dimmed somewhat and the taste had become a little fuller. It's very mild, as mild as I've ever had, which encouraged me to smoke like a chimney, at which point I was bitten lightly. But that was my fault, not the Gentleman's. I didn't quite taste any latakia, except as a kind of lurking presence in the background, as though someone in the neighbourhood was having a camp fire.

Smoked down to grey ash, around one hour and twenty minutes later (in quite a smallish pipe).

I did the room-note test of going out, sniffing some mouthwash, holding my breath, going back into the room, breathing out and then breathing in again. It was that same "can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it" scent: I don't know what it is, but I think I like it.

I'm not sure I did find it The Greatest Tobacco Ever Made, but I'll be happy to go through the rest of the 7 ounces, and then get more, just to make sure. A wonderful slice of Americana - I smoked it in a 1940s Kaywoodie, to make the illusion complete :)

Get some, man.

Smokey D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey D (5)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I don't know what catagory you would put this stuff in, but I will try. Old time tobacco goodness catagory! The room note is acceptable by my wife. It gives me pleasure and that makes her happy and want to go out with her friends leaving me with my pipe in my hand, oh well see ya later baby. Stay out as late as you want dear. I should never start a review in the middle of a fight with the wife. Back to the tobacco, it is a breath of fresh air, spring time air. This will be a close companion of mine through the warmer months ahead. A rich full tasting tobacco with a wonderfull after tatse. Would be great after BBQing and eating outdoors. I will be suprised if this does not catch like wildfire amongst the brotherhood. I opened the tin and got staight up and got a bigger pipe. After a few puffs went and picked out my next pipe for later. It is that good. Mouth watering good. This I am sure will cellar very well too. Go getchya some!

Pipe Gent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Gent (8)

There is something inherently pleasing to me about vintage blends, and more specifically, "crossover" blends that I can never resist. Going purely off my instincts and the whimsical portrait on the tin, I bought the seven ounce of Hoffman's latest offering. Unlike Spilman, while the components are similar, the tin aroma was much richer--I detected a topping that I could only place as cognac or possibly rum (and please excuse me if I am completely wrong) that was made richer by the latakia. Spilman, a straight tobacco as it is, smelled ripely of latakia, and is another great blend on its own. Either way, the aroma was delightful, and I was eager to load up one of my larger pipes to ensure the ingredients had enough room to breathe. On the top of the bowl, the latakia came through just enough to detect, while the fragrance immediately produced a compliment from a friend of mine who generally detests the smell of any tobacco (although he will smoke aromatics). From what I could tell, the cavendish was prominent, but infused well with the other tobaccos--the latakia seldom surfaced as I progressed through the bowl, but when it did, it was just when I thought I had thoroughly analyzed the blend. If this is considered an aromatic, and I only suggest that because the room note is so pleasant, it is by far the best I have yet to smoke. The tobaccos are not obstructed by the thick fragrance, nor are they singular in dimension. This blend was surprisingly milder than Spilman as I thought they would be very similar. If you enjoy aromatic tobaccos, yet want a blend not completely dominated by cavendish, you will enjoy Distinguished Gentleman. I am eager to compare this to Sillem's Black, which I have yet to try. P.S. It probably would have been easier to draw an arrow pointing at the Distinguished Gentleman himself down below as he gives an excellent review of this unique blend.

Trunst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trunst (1)

E. Hoffman Company in my opinion makes some of the best tobacco I have ever smoked. First I smoked the Spillman Mixture for a while till Iwan Ries introduced Distinguished Gentleman. Since it was by E. Hoffman Company I had to try it. The flavors mix well and it doesn't bite much unless your hot boxing it, which you should never do with any tobacco. I believe the most pronounced flavor is the latakia and I really like it. Distinguished Gentleman is now what I smoke everyday.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

its namesake just happens to be one of the more prolific reviewers on this site and a favorite patron and customer of iwan ries and company. he's also a dear friend. the tin is nostalgic old chicago like the great shop that sits parallel to the famed and gritty elevated tracks along wabash avenue. it is amazing to think that this is a true family business that has weathered the tests of time, urban renewal and changes in popular opinion about smoking. businesses and institutions have come and gone in all of our great cities, but irc and this tobacco continue to serve as a living reminder that some things deserve to continue and will hopefully be enjoyed by future generations of pipe enthusiasts. the tobacco reminds me of the way blending used to be at irc. theirs were the first non-drugstore blends i ever tried. three star blue used to be one of my all time favorites, but things have changed. luckily, chuck and crew have commissioned this beautiful blend with its forward yet subtle tin aroma, muted but rich flavor and delightful room note. though ingredients are indicated above, it's so good it really wouldn't matter to me. like good food or drink, i prefer to experience and enjoy. it's everything tobacco used to and ought to be. not a bite in the bowl and can be smoked throughout the day and in all seasons. this is a blend worthy of its namesake while it commemorates one of the great meccas of pipes and tobacco in north america!