Flue-curing captures the natural sweetness of the fine Virginia tobaccos in this flavorful blend. Aging in cakes softens them into elegance. This partially rubbed flake hearkens back to English days of old. It burns with regal restraint to a mottled white ash. It is a friend with strong character and considerable charm.

Notes: "Ashton Revival" introduced at Chicagoland Pipe Show in May, 2010

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

Nice looking mottled mahogany-to-bright virginia blend with less of the McClellands fermented virginia scent in the tin as is usual. Thick broken flake. I smoked a tin of the original many years ago but apparently wasn't impressed enough to buy more.

This is a fine smoking virginia blend with the emphasis on "tang" as opposed to sweet. Some mild sweetness, however, but more earthy and zesty. Burns clean and takes the match fairly easily after appropriate drying out. But I preferred this closer to tin moisture than most McC virginias. Mellow smoking and lighter in nicotine, but I guess my earliest impressions were accurate. This is a good blend but I didn't experience anything that would indicate greatness. I have no doubt this will age very well, but it doesn't have enough coming out of the gate to warrant cellar space. Certainly worth a try for VA lovers, though.

Nicely prepared flakes that are thick than most; some were rubbed out or had separated in the tin during shipment. The tin aroma has much less of the McClelland ketchup aroma and that's a +. Packs easily right from the tin due to an ideal moisture content, lights easily and burns uniformly without relights or condensation. Mildly sweet from start to the bottom of the bowl. If I could get it in bulk, I'd add it to my rotation.

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

comparing between different McClelland Virginia blends, I find, is like splitting hairs. I like them all and the differences between them are minor. I would say this was one of my favorites of the bunch. A lot of natural sweetness is in this flake. It is a great putz around and work smoke as well as a great sit and contemplate smoke.

It is not one that will bowl you over with a lot of complexity, just good sweet Virginias on the lighter side in color than many of the other McClelland. This, like all the other MCC Va's has that scent that many refer to as ketchup. If you don't like this scent, then you are probably not even reading this review. I love it and this is one of the better ones I have had.

Not surprisingly coming from McClelland, one of the best I've smoked, on par with Blackwoods Flake or any of the Christmas Cheer series. The dark/light leaf ratio is somewhere in between those two, and the typical McClelland's scent is considerably less noticeable. I will stash more teen in the near future.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

While not as deep in flavor as the original, McClelland's has again done justice to an old classic. This broken flake Virginia is not too sweet, and doesn't give you the tangy eye watering splash of many lighter flue cured pipe blends.

A very long smoking tobacco compared to others in its class, and certainly tasty, although not destined for greatness.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I just decided to try this one based on a whim and I really like the design on the tin. My expectations for this one were pretty low because you hardly ever hear this one come up in the forums or inner circles of the community. This one swoops in low under the radar... I'm kind of hoping it stays that way. This is a delicious, sweet flue cured VA flake that is up there with the best I've ever had. It's tangy but that fermented character (most refer to as catsup) does not translate to taste, it's got a bread-like character with hints of citrus, the nicotine is mild but when a blend like this tastes so good I don't really mind that it's not laced with a good amount of nicotine. It just means that I can load up bowl after bowl without overdoing it. I am overly joyed with this find as it absolutely fills the void that Klondike Gold left when it was taken off the US market, in fact, I actually give the nod to Brindle Flake. I'm not a big fan of McClelland's ribbon cut or "English" mixtures but there is no doubt that they have mastered Virginia Flakes and with such a huge and successful line up it's no surprise to find a sleeper such as this.

Essential (for VA Flake lovers).

Pipe Used: P. Jeppesen, Stanwell, Gamboni

Similar Blends: Brigham Enterprises Inc. - Klondike Gold.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (185)

I never had the original so here goes. A very broken flake that is composed of thick brown chunks of tobacco. The preservative smell is light and dissipates a lot after a week. Packs easily and burns to a white ash.

The first puff is zesty and slightly sweet, afterwards it develops into a mellow smoke with dried fig undertones and a slight brioche-like accent. If puffed fast, the Virginia predictably becomes tasteless hot air which is a good thing because it means that the casing or topping is either nonexistent or barely applied.

Not a legend in the making but a solid choice for a Virginia smoker! The more I smoke McClelland Virginias, the more I get hooked on them notwithstanding the preservative smell.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a nice and earthy blend. I found it to have a bit of a bite. It is possible I smoked it too fast, but I could not shake it. Despite that, it was a sweet and mellow blend. Packs very well, burns to a nice ash. It had a hay or grain like flavor in the beginning. It sweetened up to more of a maple like taste. I'm not sure if these were the product of a casing, but they were very smooth and natural like. The Virginias are not as acidic as some other blends. All around nice smoke. Recommend.

Pipe Used: MM Mizzou, MM Legend, MM Emperor

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Virginia No.1.

tmick990 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmick990 (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

My first impressions were that I was extremely put off by the awful ketchup scent coming out of the tin. So i rubbed it out and immediately stuffed it in my pipe. It was awful, and I could still taste the ketchup whatever that is. So some time went by and I finally wanted to try it again, I did spend money on it after all. So I rubbed it out and let it dry, this was key to such an amazing smoke. The best english blend I have smoked to date!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The tastiest virginia I've ever smoked. A wonderful broken flake that needs to be dried and rubbed out to be enjoyed. A delicious sweet taste and cool burn. This is just exquisite. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. Completely captivating. In a class by itself. Loaded with flavor nuances to keep it interesting. There is a slight burley taste to this virginia, but so much better than any burley I've tried. With no bite or bitterness. Exceptional. I originally thought this was a 4 star blend, but have since found the nuances to disappear and the taste becoming monotonous.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (138)

I think a neglected blend from McClelland. This is one of the many Virginia blends that they produce, and for some reason it seems sort of forgotten. I think its actually among the best. Its not as heavily stoved as say Blackwoods Flake, or even Butera's Golden Cake, though it resembles the latter a bit. Let alone as stoved like dark star. Its also not particularly sweet -- in comparison to Blackwoods or Black& Red. But its sweet enough and quite rich and smooth and slow burning. Its also not as wet out of the tin as some of McClellands tobaccos. It is probably a combination of brown virginia (slightly heated as i understand it) and not a lot of red or black. Some lemon or orange, too, I imagine. The description says flue cured, but that could meaning anything honestly. My guess is based on the fact that there isnt a LOT of sugar in there. Its a nice pungent virginia with a bit more nic hit than you might expect. Also....its rather a purist blend in that I suspect only two or three varietals are used (unlike say macbaren HH Pure Virginia that has a dozen). Its good stuff...very good.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I do recommend this blend with 4 stars. The tin description exactly tells what is in the tin. Packs and burns very well, smokes cool. It has no complex flavors in it. Natural sweetness, true tobacco taste, and adequate nicotine dosage brings the 4 stars for this blend.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am mostly an oriental smoker, but this is a very pleasant change of pace. I am used to the use of Virginia leaf in many McClelland mixtures, but this tobacco is something else entirely. It is very flavorful and sweet and you can tell has a high degree of craftsmanship and refinement, from a company who knows a very nice way to make a blend that is entierely Virginia leaf based. I cannot be more pleased with this blend, and it will make its way into my regular rotation, although I kinda see it as a warmer weather blend, and as it is closing in a winter, I might be waiting a while to smoke it more. 4 stars from a non Virginia fan!

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

I have just finished my first tin of Brindle Flake and thoroughly enjoyed my experience with it even though I find it somewhat difficult to completely nail the description of it. As the name indicates it is indeed a flake tobacco which was very easy to work with. It is light to medium brown in color and a light aroma. Under the category of Flavoring I selected Extremely Mild, the description gives no indication of flavorings added but to my tongue I seem to detect some extremely faint something which I have not been able to identify. But don't be afraid of that because it is quite pleasant. It burned great straight to the bottom of the bowl and was deceptively flavorful. This is one bear that is friendly.

I cannot with authority compare this to the original version so I will simply say it's worth a try it might just surprise you and I would certainly recommend it to new smokers.

defender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
defender (5)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

McClelland's description is right on all points... with a unique taste and sweetness.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (178)

This is a straightforward Va broken flake of pure tobacco. Partially stoved I suspect, it does not have the Christmas pudding aromas I usually find in stoved Va tobaccos. Nor does it have much of the McC acetic aroma.

What it does have is solid Va flavour, untouched by any kind of artificial assistance. To my mind it is what a navy flake would be without molasses, brown sugar or rum. This is a point of distinction to, say, the Rattrays Va flakes which do have a pronounced brown sugar flavour.

It is moderately sweet, with some distinctive spice notes. Burns cool and slow (I can get nearly 2 hours in a mid sized bowl) and requires few relights. Rather linear in profile, it does not grab me with complexity, nor does it change much as the bowl progresses.

I prefer this in a MM Shire Cobbit; the long stem ensuring a cool smoke and the cob bowl keeping the smoke dry and clean. Burns fine without being rubbed out.

Honest, well made tobacco. Just shy of 4 stars.

Pipe Used: MM Shire Cobbit

Cat Jockey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cat Jockey (11)

I really like this tobacco, namely for that strong character. I do find a fair amount of complexity in it, as well. It is a typical McClelland Va flake, which is a good thing. In addition to some deeper citrus I find in this blend, it, like most other McClellands, smokes cool for a Va and stoves nicely upon itself in the bowl, finishing off with a deep, creamy sweetness for those who like to up the cadence a bit, as I often do.

I have not smoked the original, so I can give this one 4 stars, as I am only comparing it to itself, an area of comparison at which it excels. In the rotation, and recommended if looking to try a Va that is a little less sweet.

CubanPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CubanPiper (13)

When I first open the tin, it smelled ok, then, it smoked ok. I place the tobacco in a mason jar for a year and it was a different tobacco altogether. After a year or so in a jar, it was sweeter, smoother, and great.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)

I opened a 4-yer-old tin and discover loosely composed broken virginia flakes with mainly bright and light brown color tobac. Very easy to prepare and similar to C&D or GLP's flakes. The McC vinegar was less evident than their other Va/Vaper offers. The taste is grassy, citrus, dry, with less sweat and tangy I usually prefer. Very easy to light and keep lit, but it gets hot and spicy if push. A good straight Va, but not one of the bests. Somehow I think of C&D's opening night, may be due to the flake presentation, but I like the latter much more.