The finest ripe, dappled orange and red Virginia leaf is first caked, then gently spun into ribbon for a smoke sure to be in the Virginia lover's regular rotation. The exceptional flavor curve develops from zesty to sweet, rich and deep. You will count each bowl you smoke as time well spent.

Notes: Originally introduced in May, 1994 for the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors' Club, is now part of the Club Blends Series.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

3.8

Wow, first review of this??

The first thing I thought of while smoking this is that it's a higher octane version of #5100 Red Cake. There is some truth to that, but it doesn't really describe this one as well as it could. I found this one less sweet than 5100 and with a spiciness and depth of flavor that 5100 cannot match.

Tin moisture was perfect for me - no drying out needed. For a virginia, that is rare. And as much as I love flakes, I can definitely appreciate a nice ribbon VA! No problems with bowl loading, this one lights easily and stays lit. I had no issues with anything resembling tongue bite or burn.

The tin description says "zesty" and that is spot on. This isn't a dark tobacco but it has the richness and allure of dark VA's. I didn't get nearly as much sweetness from this that I was expecting but the tobacco was better for it... deeper and more complex. This is also one of those tobaccos that makes DGT so satisfying. Try this if you think straight virginias hold no further mystery for you. You'll be surprised! This tobacco is headed for my cellar!

Initially,this tobacco was a major disappointment. Reading the description, this sounded like it could be another version of a McC's " Christmas" blend, which I generally find very good. The initial light was good , but in a few more puffs, it went flat. I was smoking this with very small sips and there was a total lack of sweetness and flavor. I said to myself , " Ok maybe I'm just looking for "high notes" and I should be looking for more " base notes", but they weren't there either, it was totally bland, I was ready to rate this a 1 star. Upon reviewing the other reviews, I thought must have gotten a bad tin?

A few hours later, I decided to try this again. This time I smoked more aggressively , with a long draw and a hotter pipe. The flavor jumped forth , NO bite, no bitterness . Yes zesty, and a nice base note. I do recommend you try a more aggressive technique than with other Virginias

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year old tin

Raw Hide Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raw Hide (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I am just finishing another bowl of this fine tobacco in one of my favorite pipes, an old Sasieni Four Dot Canadian, an heirloom pipe from one of my oldest friends.

If you do not like straight Virginia tobacco, you will not like this. This one is excruciatingly high in sugar, but is not syrupy sweet. It is what I would call high on the flavor tones, if you smoke it too fast, it will bite. If you take your time and savor you will be in for a flavor treat. I would put it up against the old 1983 McCranie's Red Ribbon, in some ways, it is identical, given age, it should mellow in the tin and gain some balance.

The taste of Rich Virginia Ribbon is as you would expect from the name. It is very rich. It burns well, and the flavor is consistent to the bottom of the bowl. The novice pipe smoker might not like this and those who disdain Virginias ought to stay away from it, except that many of the Virginias on the market that are not McClelland tobaccos usually have some sort of casing or topping and this one clearly does not.

To those that smoke McClelland 5100 Virgina Cake or McCranie's Red Ribbon, I strongly recommend it. I give it 5 stars but I can only give it four.

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)

There aren't many tobaccoes, if any, that I enjoy more. From time to time you discover a tobacco that makes you ask, "Why smoke anything else?" This is one of those.

These short, springy, spun ribbons are easy to pack and burn beautifully. Predominantly dark brown in color with some lighter strands, the dappled orange and red leaf has darkened considerably. It has the familiar McClelland smell of acetic acid and clove oil. RVR's moisture level is such that it can be smoked directly after opening, but I prefer it just a tad dryer. Bought a bunch of this when it was re-released in 2010. It is developing beautifully and promises to be phenomenal in 2015+!

Producing a lot of dense, savory smoke, it develops depth and richness which are complemented, at first, by an invigorating tanginess, and later, by a subtle herbal complexity.

If smoked slowly the flavor development seems to take the following course, with depth and richness increasing noticably all the while: At the match it is soft and alluring, developing tanginess relatively quickly. Then a certain sweetness and fruitiness emerge as the tanginess diminishes. As the slow burn stoves the tobaccoes below the danger of tongue bite (which was minimal to begin with) passes and the sweetness subsides into rich earthiness. It becomes more full- bodied, robust and substantial, perhaps a bit 'woodsy,' with a wealth of subtle herbal elements, and, yes, remarkably rich! And yet, in spite of the richness of the finish, it leaves the mouth feeling very clean. This is what smoking Virginias is all about! And it is one relaxing and thoroughly satisfying smoke!

I only have one question: how can this be only the third review of such an exceptional tobacco?!?

Very, very highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Several. All reserved for Virginias w/out topping.

CTpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTpipe (2)

This is a tasty blend. I had the tin in my cellar for less than a year. The tobacco did I not require any drying. It smoked all the way to the bottom with no relights after a few charring lights. I found the tobacco very flavorful and without bite. Smoked slowly or puffed frequently, still no bite...the flavor did change slightly, but still tasted great. If you love Virginias, you will enjoy this blend. This is a good tobacco. A must try. I will get more. Overall, I would say this is 3.5 stars out of 4, but that is not an option that I see available.

Pipe Used: Abe Herbaugh Rhodesian