100% pure cuban tobacco. [Tin itself does not provide any longer description].

BrandRobert McConnell
ContentsCigar Leaf
Packaging50 gr tin
CountryUnknown
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong, Very Strong
Taste
Full
Pleasant, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

2.7
KRL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KRL (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is the only Cuban pipe tobacco I know of, and was a bit of a curiosity for me. When I opened the tin, the typical world of a humidor used for Cuban cigars exclusively made my mouth water. I couldn't wait to try it. Strong Cuban characteristics in its scent, beautiful slim,dark ribbons caught my eye. The ribbons are of different color, and is seems to be a well balanced, homogenous mixture of several types of leaves. I packed my billiard pipe with it, and started smoking it gently, carefully. It is amazing. I would say it is similar to a good Cuban cigar, developing in taste over time. A nice woody, smoky taste at the begging, that matured into a deep, earthy flavor with a side of dark chocolate. I would go as far, that is was actually better, then most cigars and the sensation is indeed unforgettable, loved every minute of it. I had expected it to taste like a chopped up cigar packed in a pipe, that usually is nasty, I actually got the opposite. This tobacco is unique, I am surprised, that is doesn't have a fan-club. Care needs to be taken, since if it overheats for example in a clay pipe, especially if you are greedy to reward yourself, without considering, that you are smoking a real gem, it may turn bitter, however it's worth experimenting with, as it has great rewards. Usually if you are nice to it, it rewards you with heavenly pleasures. I would recommend smoking it after a hard day, or as a reward, as it is caresses every sense of Cuban tobacco lovers. I found it quite relaxing for the body and stimulating for the mind. A good whiskey on the side, and you will forget all your earthly troubles. The room note is excellent, my family loved it. The only downside for me is that it is a bit difficult to come by in Hungary, however I would gladly recommend it to everyone I love. Update: It's also a great blending tobacco.

Pipe Used: Szabó Billiard Rustic, Hungarian Clay pipe

Age When Smoked: fresh tin of 50g

Similar Blends: A good Cuban cigar.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This should be used as a blending tobacco. I've only had one Cuban cigar in my life. Brought back by a friend in the Navy. It had a full flavour that almost had a smoked meat aftertaste. Pleasant but demanding on the palette. McConnell's pure Cuban does taste authentic but I don't think anyone will like it straight, so I began blending...

I've found that it will work well with a light virginia at the otherend to pull the pile of flavour's out of the Cuban.

Then I sometimes add a slight pinch of Perique to reinforced and deepen the Cuban.

Burley's nuttiness didn't work for me as an ingredient so I don't recommend it.

Latakia(which is basically a light Virginia in my book) worked very well. Like adding cream to coffee. Again, drawing out the flavour.

Cavendish is a fine way to keep the original richness of the Cuban while it carries the notes on a pillow of sweet acrid mist almost.

My best blend so far is as follows...

One part Pure Cuban One part Light Virginia or Latakia Two parts Cavendish(Non-Cased) Pinch of Perique

This is the fullest personal blend I've ever made. Keeps you interested all night with a rewardingly deep smoke.

mkorbas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mkorbas (6)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

I tried once to cut a cigar in thin slices and smoke it in a pipe. The feeling is the same: awful. If I don't defenestrate this tin, I'll try to blend it with something else and come back with the results. [All my reviews/ratings are based solely on my personal experience/taste].

[UPDATE 05-05-10]: I didn't blend it, but I rolled some filtered cigarettes with it. Magnificent! (It's cut thin enough to do so).