This blend was created as a result of a number of requests for something in the same vein as some of the richer Dunhill tobaccos: London Mixture, Standard Mixture Full and Medium. Seasoned English blend smokers are familiar with the warm and rich flavor of those mixtures, and although we didn't try to duplicate any of their tobaccos, we have worked to recreate the general spirit and flavor profile of these currently absent old friends. Members of our sampling group made comments like: "I think you've nailed it." and "I haven't tasted anything like this in years."

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
Packaging1.5oz Tin, 8oz Tin, Bulk
PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste

3.7

Having as many offerings as Pipes and Cigars it can be easy for a blend to get overlooked. With only seven other reviews here, I think that must be the case with the very good Ambassador. Russ tends too offer his tobaccos on the dry side so this is ready for the pipe without the need to dry it out. Other than they both contain Orientals, I don't taste the same flavors as Dunhill's London Mixture or Skiff as someone else mentioned. I taste an "earthy" English blend with a touch of sweetness. Either way, it is a very tasty blend with a good amount of body and a great flavor throughout the bowl. Great stuff!

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)

What a great surprise. Not because P&C/H&H has no great blends (too many to name, in fact) but that this one gets no fanfare at all. "Larry's goes to Oxford" as a prior reviewer said. Damn, wish I had written that first! Nice cut, nice note, nice balance, nice burn, yada yada yada. Satisfying in the true sense of the word. I, too, share skepticism of products (not just tobaccos) that state that they are similar to [fill in iconic name here]. After many years of tobacco sampling, however, and given the vast array of products, it is perhaps excusable with pipe tobacco as it is a very good initial guidepost. That said, this is every bit as good as the Dunhill products mentioned. And while I often say price and a review should be separated as we do church and state, thank God this is not an H&H "Marquee" product at a full two times the price. I've recently bought a lot of 8-oz. tins and look forward to Ambassador as a morning, noon and night staple.

Kremlin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kremlin (3)

This blend can be fairly used as a paradigm of what English mixture does mean.

Out of the pouch, it smells so good that you'll grab immediately one of your more capient pipes (i chose Ardor Maigret to start with).

When you smoke it, all the components play their (right) role throughout the bowl, so that you will experience: earthiness as well as sweetness, smokiness as well as some pepperiness.

I would define it as the "Larry's blend went to Oxford" mixture...

Highly Recommended

LK

Trumpetboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trumpetboy (13)

This is how I remember Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium of old. Not exactly the same, but the key word here is balance. This blend has just the right amount of smokiness perfecly balanced by some brighter notes. I think this is a "brighter" overall mixture than say, Larry's blend, kind of like turning the tone control knob on an amplifier from the bass end to direct center. You get a bit more sweetness here, as opposed to the buttery creaminess of LB. Great on a quiet afternoon with a nice, hoppy beer! To my palate, this mixture stays together beautifully thoughout the bowl and doesn't start to taste like a used ashtray like some of the newer D mixtures. I'm really starting to develop a great appreciation for Russ' blending skill. I'm not sure cellaring this one would result in any noticible improvement-- seems like a blend to be smoked in the here and now and enjoyed!

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (23)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

In keeping with the narrative in the tin description, this tobacco does remind me, somewhat, of Dunhill blends I have smoked. When I first lit up I thought of Standard Mixture Full - very english and somewhat spicey. I agree with reviewer Kyohan that, if you didn't know better, about halfway down you would swear you were smoking 965. Then, in the bottom half, it began to approach Durbar. A very talented blend, I must say!

The cut is a tad rough compared to my memory of Dunhill blends from the past but nothing to be concerned about. The tin aroma is wonderfully english and hints at the possibility of a mild topping, although I'm not sure that its actually there. It arrives in a somewhat dry but immediately smokeable condition.

Now, let's light this blend up. Somewhat spicey in the top quarter, but this doesn't last long. It settles down to a beautiful medium english smoke that is very gratifying in the middle realm. But, the best comes last in the bottom half of the bowl - warm, creamy, luxurious and friendly. One of the best finishes, if not the best finish, of any english blend I have ever smoked. I highly recommend this blend to all english smokers and invite any smoker to try it. Another outstanding blend by Russ Oulette and a very solid four stars.

Kyohan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyohan (8)

I was pleasantly surprised by this blend. I am skeptical of any blend that claims to be "in the same vein as some of the richer Dunhill tobaccos" as every one that I have tried has fallen short. But not this one - if I hadn't packed my pipe myself I would swear that I was smoking 965. Smokey, creamy, wonderful. If you like English tobaccos, you must try this blend.

Update 2013-12-20 - I've had an 8 oz. tin of this blend cellared for about a year and I just retried it and was disappointed. This blend just isn't smooth, it's rough around the edges. The flavor is very one dimensional, latakia forward without a lot of oriental support. My biggest dislike is this just doesn't have any sweetness, if that's what you like , than this is for you. I personally like "Black House better. I won't buy this again , too many better blends.

Original review- Creamy Latakia and Orientals with bold flavor. Nice bulk price.I find the flavors very similar to "Larry's Blend", same Orientals I believe, but maybe diffrent blending proportions (less Smyrna)but not as smooth. More latakia and some bitterness, I would like more sweetness or it would be 4 star, I do like this better than LB.

Have to agree with most said by reviewer "SteelCowboy 08/19/2012 "

Oh, Bulk, very hard to rub out (update 12/26/12-New 8oz tin was already rubbed ???)

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend tastes exactly like Samuel Gawith's Skiff which has limited availability in the U.S.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

I have not smoked the Dunhill's London Mixture; I have a tin and am planning to open it when I finish the rest of this tobacco to compare the two.

But what a great English blend! Perfectly balanced. It is smoky, woodsy, earthy, and even has a slight buttery aftertaste. I can't decide whether this or Daybreak is the best English blend I've tried by Russ. Either way, you cannot go wrong with these blends. This is the type of robust tobacco flavor that you simply don't find in aromatics (and I like aromatics). I especially recommend them to novice pipe smokers who have not explored the world of English blends. Come and join us, boys!

Mazeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mazeman (1)

I got a complimentary sample from pipesandcigars.com. I admit I didn't have high expectations. Tried some, and all I can say is "Wow". This is a very pleasant, well- balanced, English blend. A versatile, every day smoke. Some people say it came "dry". If that means immediately-smokeable, then I agree. And this is a good thing. There is certainly no harshness in my sample. They've definitely gained a customer for this blend.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a little heavier English blend and will please many a Latakia fan. A lean to a more full bodied smoke here, that doesn't remind me of anything in the old Dunhill line (and I have smoked more than my share of those blends). That said, Ambassador it is far better than anything the new blenders have to offer. This one settles down to a rich smoke that will please many a smoker, but there are others of this type that I like more. Still I recommend you try it.

Oh and mine arrived a little dry also, which I assume is the way Russ prefers it to be smoked.

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I do believe this is one of the best all around English blends out there. Easy to load and light and delivers a wonderful English flavor and room note. One small issue - it is eather too wet or too dry, mostly dry. This is not a big deal to me, but worth mentioning.

D.Purvis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D.Purvis (1)

I was surprised at how dry this blend was right out of the pouch, regardless; This blend from Russ lights easily (it's a very dry ribbon cut). It stays lit and it burns cool. Fairly smokey, which I like, and it's taste seems to mellow toward the bottom of the bowl.. Pretty good smoke- I would not say that it's my favorite but English fans will appreciate it..