1/2 No.968 and 1/2 No.970 (unpressed). Designed to lessen the Latakia content of No.970, but still a robust blend.

Blend TypeOriental
Contents Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Strength
Taste
3.6
Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

I find the complexity of this blend to be both an asset and liability. Rich in presentation and smoking experience, this blending of leaves presents a maze of flavors to delight one and all. By the same stroke, it presents an expansive spectrum that may not be appreciated by everyone. For me, this is the product of a skilled hand influenced by fruitful experience. Not just anyone can successfully combine all these elements without having this range of resonance manifest disjoint collisions. Simply to achieve this plateau of excellence without the alliance of Virginia leaf is remarkable. The treatment of the Orientals is a most outstanding accomplishment. The Burley and Cyprian leaf provide the best qualities of support. Yet, all the while, this is a comfortable smoke that burns easily and leaves little residue beyond white ash. The issue of classifying as either Balkan or Oriental matters not to me. What really matters is that this is an excellent smoke. The surprise for me is that many others have not undertaken the opportunity to investigate and discover this worthwhile blend.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Canadian Smooth

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sort of moot writing a review, but fortunately, I still have a half filled quart jar of it. I'm very impressed by how this mix is aging and I find it getting noticeably sweeter and more flavorful as time goes by. I agree that OE can be a bit airy and mild... But I've corrected this by picking over the mix and breaking up the clumps and chunky bits before smoking it. Tamping religiously results in a rich and interesting flavor. I also agree that this is not a beer drinkers tobacco. I'd rather have this one with plain water or tea. OE may not be the best C&D blend, but it did open my interest in Oriental blends and I hope to find an even better blend to replace it with. PS. As of this writing, pipesandcigars has finally marked this one as backordered, which I assume means that they finally ran out of it.

Pipe Used: MM Natural Freehand Cob

Age When Smoked: 4 months from bulk purchase

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (30)

I'm smoking it right now as I write this review. I don't like it. It's a decent smoke, but the lowest of Cornell & Diehl so far. I've never smoked either of the two blends this one consists of, but something tells me both are better than this. You taste the orientals, the Perique is present also. I would like it better if they increased the Latakia and less Perique. Anyway, there is no more of it, so there is no point judging the poor fella. I have 8 more oz, and until gone forever, I intend of making a decent farewell goodbye by smoking it every day. It will last for a month, so it's not that bad. I really enjoyed it today in a meer lined french pipe, and orientals are ok. I kinda love it, but still not "bells and whistles". Rest in peace dear "Orient Express".

Pipe Used: Briars and meers.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I sort of hate to go against the flow here and even kick a blend when it is down. I very much appreciate everything C&D makes that I have tried before now. In a way I can understand this blend's demise.

SP.com was out of my favorite Engine 99 a while back and I took a gamble and bought a half pound of this along with 1/4 pounds of Red Odessa and Odessa. I figured I would take the time to explore the entire bulk Oriental RR line - Engine 99, Star of the East, Byzantium, Odessa, Red Odessa, and this.

With Engine 99 as my favorite being a blend of Pirate Kake ( a three star blend for me) I guess this might be close enough to fill in while awaited resupply of the Engine. Wrong.

While mixing Red Odessa and Pirate Kake yielded a blend exceeding the sum of its two component parent blends, Engine 99, Orient Express did not. In fact it rated less than Odessa and Pirate Kake for me. Why? I am not sure. It did lessen the Latakia of Pirate Kake but it also seemed to degrade the Odessa (which I will rate at 3+ and the Pirate Kake which I gave 3 stars long ago). It is tasty, but harsh to my tastes. I know this is odd, counter-intuitive, but alas, it is so.

I will eventually finish my remaining 4 ounces and be glad I won't have to give it a desert island test. Wife, who rarely complains did not like the room note, at all.

Pipe Used: Briar apple; cob

Age When Smoked: Current stock

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (8)

My first try at Orient Express was interesting. I have only to assume it was the orientals that to my pallet tasted kind of gross, airy... can't completely recall my reaction. It wasn't terrible, but not what my pallet was used to, nor could my pallet detect much more at that point. However I kept going, as I am used to doing with this hobby, and as you see, I now give it four stars, and it's perhaps in my top 10 or 15. I love how different this smokes from most of my other blends, how the orientals play such an important role, and how well it pairs with certain drinks, especially good french-pressed coffee with cream. It is the "creamiest" smoke I have tried I believe, and especially with coffee with cream (or without). What an amazing pair. It is temperamental for me (or my pallet is), and more than any other blend, this smoke changes from one smoke to another. Perhaps its just me, or perhaps certain tobaccos like orientals are more affected in their taste to us by the remnants of what we've been eating-- the acidity or alkalinity, the leftovers in the mouth. But this is how it seems with orient express and there's something I like about that. For example, I had not tried it with beer, and went with buddies to a bar and we sat outside and tried some great beers and smoked a few bowls of orient express. I can't remember which Frambois Lambic beer it was we were drinking when we started smoking, but both the drink and the smoke are wonderful, but the two of them together were terrible... so I don't tend to smoke this with hop heavy beer. Anyways, I very much recommend this smoke. Wonderful, acidic and creamy, being different from many others, I tend to crave the experience, and need to order more, since I ran out months ago. Give it a shot.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I was met with such disappointment when I finally got around to this blend only to find out it is being discontinued. This blend is a mixture of 50% un-pressed Pirate Kake and 50% Odessa. I like Pirate Kake, and as of this writing I have never smoked Odessa. My only issue with Pirate Kake is that it’s too heavy and monochromatic to smoke daily. Orient Express, the child of these two blends, in the pouch smells very much like Pirate Kake, but in the pipe, where it all matters, Orient Express is a creamy, full flavored, creamy, well rounded, smoke. Did I say creamy??? Folks that aren’t lovers of Latakia heavy blends shouldn’t be fooled into thinking that cutting Pirate Kake would turn this into medium English. It doesn’t. OE is a full flavored English that is Lat heavy, but not muddled. Unlike PK, this blend allows the other tobaccos to play in the sandbox. Where Pirate Kake offers little complexity, Orient Express layers rich flavors as the bowl progresses. I have to think that this is one of those blends that in a world currently filled with English blends that this one was simply overlooked, rather than discontinued as a result of lack of interest. I don’t agree with the reviewer that mentioned that this blend could be re-created by just mixing Odessa and Pirate Kake. I think the pressing of the Pirate Kake would change the flavor of the component tobaccos in a way that would keep this from happening. The good news is that Smoking Pipes still has some in stock for the time being.

From smokingpipes.com: "One-half "Odessa" and one-half "Pirate Kake" (unpressed). Designed to lessen the Latakia content of Pirate Kake, but still a robust blend. This blend has been discontinued, but will still be available while our supply lasts."

I bought 2 ozs to try before there is no more. This is a fine blend. The Orientals really shine. Much more so than in Odessa or Pirate Cake. The Burley is reduced to a supporting role where in Odessa it's more of an equal partner. The Latakia is in more of a supporting role where in Pirate Cake it leads the charge. The end result is a showcase for the high quality Orientals. The Perique adds it's spice to the mix making for a grand smoke. Even though it's being discontinued all is not lost. Odessa and Pirate Cake will still be available and you can make your own if you want.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Bluefox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefox (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first thing that came to mind when I opened this was a BBQ smokehouse. It is an excellent smokey aroma and the taste is almost the same. A smooth smoke that burns slow. All and all a great blend with loads of aroma and flavor.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Bulk Blend Smack Down: This is a fantastic bulk buy! What stands out about this is the bang for the buck! The price point is a steal! For roughly 2.50/oz your getting a smoke that rivals many 4.00+/oz tins. Woot! Super tasty! No bite. Great balance of the ingredients. Lots of toasty burley, orientals, light Perique and light buttery Lat.

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (10)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A wonderfully complex, yet balanced blend. It is Oriental-forward and relative to Latakia would say it's mild-medium. The perique is added with a light touch which, given my constitution's touchiness when it comes to perique is perfect. You do note the peppery presence of the perique. Then the brilliance of the blend is folding in burley. All told, I think this is the best oriental blend I've experienced. My current favorite blend overall.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This has a great buttery Provolone Cheese Oriental flavor with a smoky bacon Latakia background. This is easy to pack,easy to light, and burns at a slow sip. Strength builds as you get to the last 1/3 of the bowl. I noticed a few small problems: The pipe goes out rather easily for no apparent reason. It's easy to relight, but near the last 1/3 of the bowl, the dottle is rather damp and you draw out the Burley and loose the Orientals (Perique never plays). I found this strange since the tobacco appeared fairly dry. I think this would benefit from 5 second in a microwave. In addition, this tobacco could use 9-12 months of aging as it is a little too spicy new. That said, I really think this is a "keeper" with wonderful complex flavor, and ample "N" . I'll figure out the moisture problem and at bulk prices, I can't think of a better deal. I agree with reviewer, "The Keeper", below , similar to EMP but more Latakia and more "buttery". I also find this very similar in taste ( same Orientals) to H&H "Larry's Blend" , but smoother. I believe it also is slightly more flavorfull than Larry's blend.

updated 11/17/2013 -The bowl I'm smoking has about a years age on it. The flavor is excellent and the Burley just provides a nice base note. However, the spice does build and is a little more than I like, so I'm reducing my rating to 3 stars.

fervor06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fervor06 (11)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Lighting my pipe filled with orient express tobacco was like I was taking a step onto the Orient Express Train. Taking me on the journey of a lifetime, transporting me back 100 years. As I slowly take in the first puff of smoke, I am swiftly taken from the reality that I once knew. My senses are whisked away to the platform number 6 to take the orient express to the other side of the world. All of a sudden, I am no longer on my porch in my flannel shirt. I am now wearing a full suit and top hat, with a cane! And I have a beautiful asian woman on my arm, softly kissing my neck as we board the the old Steam Engine locomotive. I walk into a room full of the tobacco aroma of the Orient Express, where there are velvet love seats and more beautiful scantily clad women from all over the world and of all races, inviting me to sit with them. After we dine on delicacies from the 4 corners of the world they slowly begin to remove my cloths, starting with my top hat. And the pleasures of my mouth, created by this tobacco still transcend into that ensue in this Orient Express Train car. When all is finished and things have calmed down with the exotic women we finish up with tea as I receive a full body massage with a happy ending. Just as the aroma from this tobacco massage the smell receptors in my nose. As my bowl in my pipe begins to die, so does my time on the train. I pick up my things and kiss the ladies good bye, with a tip of the hat to the train conductor and leap from the train back to reality; back to my chair with my flannel shirt. Until next time when I light up on the Orient Express.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)

Lighting my pipe filled with orient express tobacco was like I was taking a step onto the Orient Express Train. Taking me on the journey of a lifetime, transporting me back 100 years. As I slowly take in the first puff of smoke, I am swiftly taken from the reality that I once knew. My senses are whisked away to the platform number 6 to take the orient express to the other side of the world. All of a sudden, I am no longer on my porch in my flannel shirt. I am now wearing a full suit and top hat, with a cane! And I have a beautiful asian woman on my arm, softly kissing my neck as we board the the old Steam Engine locomotive. I walk into a room full of the tobacco aroma of the Orient Express, where there are velvet love seats and more beautiful half naked women from all over the world and of all races, inviting me to sit with them. After we dine on delicacies from the 4 corners of the world they slowly begin to remove my cloths, starting with my top hat. And the pleasures of my mouth, created by this tobacco still transcend into that ensue in this Orient Express Train car. When all is finished and things have calmed down with the exotic women we finish up with tea as I receive a full body massage. Just as the aroma from this tobacco massage the smell receptors in my nose. As my bowl in my pipe begins to die, so does my time on the train. I pick up my things and kiss the ladies good bye, with a tip of the hat to the train conductor and leap from the train back to reality; back to my chair with my flannel shirt. Until next time when I light up on the Orient Express.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The first thing I noticed about Orient Express was the magnificent aroma from the pouch. It cries out to you to load, light and start smoking! There's quite a few tobacco's working here from your first puff, I was amazed at the flavorful play between them. Burns cool and has a good nicotine punch. Orient Express starts out on the mild side, but quickly picks up strength and finishes full without becoming overwhelming. It burns well from first puff to last. Quality leaf here, C&D has another winner. This is a blend that I'm looking forward to smoking in front of my fireplace with a good book in the cooler months ahead.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I was introduced to this recently in a box pass, and I am quite surprised to see only one review of it here. It is a full English blend of surprising complexity and gentle, friendly character.

The burning characteristics are good, as with all C&D English blends. It burns cool and dry, stays lit well, and burns to a dry white ash.

I prefer Latakia in blends where it is a player and not the only thing going on, and that describes how this one smokes. All of the many components come out during the smoke, but I don't feel compelled to concentrate on it so that I don't miss anything. Another winner from Cornell and Diehl! I strongly recommend that you try this one.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

I'm not sure what prompted me to try this over the two "parent blends". Perhaps the name? That could be it. The vast combination of components (just about every major tobacco group you can think of) meld fairly well. Each one comes to the front at some point during the smoke. The nutty burly and the sweet and sour orientals are most predominant. The perique does creep across the tongue but never seems to gnaw. Despite complexity, it can be enjoyed without hard concentration.

There is some similarity to Samarra, Early Morning Pipe, and other "oriental" heavy blends. This one is a bit thicker and nuttier. The end of the bowl rewards the smoker with an almost sweet cigar note and flavor.

This is a good blend of high quality parts, my verdict is still out as to whether or not it will be a keeper. I'm not sure if it strikes me strongly enough with any one aspect to keep me coming back for more. I've got a nice sized jar aging and perhaps that will tell the tale.