Indonesian farmers toil in their islands' rich limestone soils to grow their flavorful tobacco leaves. After harvesting and air drying the leaves the unique aging process begins. The villagers roll the leaves into 10 foot long sticks of pure tobacco which they then bind using hand made cord to protect from the outside air. They then put these sticks inside their primitive huts and store them for 5 years as the tobacco becomes richer by the day. After aging, this tobacco is cut into three or ten inch sticks for sale as pipe tobacco, as well as being used as a component in Indonesian made cigars, such as Tambo Cigars.

BrandTambolaka Natural Tobaccos
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf
Packaging50g Pouch
Very Strong
Tolerable to Strong
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I got this as a gift and it was already fully rubbed out and fairly moist. I'm not sure whether to be pleased at this or to feel cheated of all the prep work! :) I've had this 3 oz for close to six months and it's been fun finding its strengths.

At any rate, this stuff took some experimentation with respect to the proper moisture for smoking. I found that I preferred it less dry than I predicted. With some moisture, I got a nice soft smoke with excellent body and a huge amount of strength. This is probably the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked. Stronger yet much smoother than the various black ropes I've tried, without their massive harshness. The flavor was exceedingly deep. I found no flavors aside from good honest tobacco. Some cigar notes but it didn't really taste like any cigar I've ever had. Smoked straight, this is a bit too much of a good thing. But blended with other tobaccos, particular OTC's, this shines. Kentucky Club Mild is a nice burley but mixed 80/20 with Tambolaka, it crosses into excellence. Needs a lot of time to meld, however. I enjoyed my time with this one and may pick up some more. A pound will probably last my lifetime!

Strong None Detected Full Strong

I wasn't too crazy about this one. It had that industrial feel to it not unlike Brown Rope No. 4 to my taster, but a little easier to maintain the light than the former. I was given quite a bit of this as my benefactor also did not like it. I smoked about 4 bowls of this and paid it forward by sending the rest to a forum buddy who I often trade with.

It is hard to explain, but if you like BRN4 or even 1792, then you will probably like this. Those blends leave a weird taste sensation to me. I use the term Industrial, because it hangs on my pallet the way the scents of diesel and grease do. I just don't like this kind of a smoke.

Of the positives, it does have a heck of a nicotine kick, but there are several blends that I can smoke to get this kick with a more enjoyable taste. In summary, somewhat recommended for those that like the aforementioned blends. Beginners stay away.

Similar Blends: SG Brown Rope Number 4.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Overwhelming None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

Industrial strength kick; probably the most potent "product" I've smoked since a Led Zeppelin concert back in '69!

Stronger than XX Black Rope--pure tobacco taste with no casing. Be seated at all times & wear a crash helmet. G-Force is about G4. An oxygen supply also recommended...

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (12)
Overwhelming None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Years ago, I was asked on an online forum group to give my opinion of this tobacco after a large group purchase made there. I still stand by this review today...

The following is my experience smoking Tambolaka pipe tobacco purchased in the group purchase here. I wrote this as soon as possible, so that my feelings and observations would be fresh in my mind. And before I lost my nerve. This is just my experience. Your milage may vary...

First Impressions:

Wow. This is a tobacco? At first glance what I see in this bag (yes bag - not stick) doesn't appear to be traditional tobacco at all. This looks, feels and somewhat smells like tree bark. Dark, hard and black. It has a smell that's somewhat vegetal, and just a whiff of barnyard. Very dry, even in the sealed bag. (It's my understanding that this is ready to smoke, as is.) You won't rub this out like a flake or a bar - you'll need to break and crumble it like you would small twigs.

I chose my smallest no-name italian briar. I don't know Dunhill sizes, but as I'm a cob man you could say that this pipe is about the size of an MM Pony. The pipe has been recently cleaned and reamed, so there should be no ghosting of even the burley blends smoked in it. It's a good little pipe: well drilled, and easy to pass a cleaner from stem to bowl bottom. It usually smokes fairly cool as long as I don't try to hurry things. A sipper rather than a puffer. And yes, I chose this pipe in expectation of Tambolaka's reputation.

The Tobacco:

I take a pinch from the bag and spread it out on my desk top (formica) to see what I've got. Again, dark, black and hard. No stems to speak of, but within those leaves are some fairly noticeable veins. I decide that if I don't break things up, there's a good chance that tobacco this dense will plug and block the airway. I break up the separated pieces into pieces about 1/4 to 3/8 inch in size. I gravity fed the tobacco to the top of the bowl and lightly press down. There's some give, but not much. I fill the bowl the rest of the way with finer pieces, and give the pipe a test draw. Seems good - not too loose, not too tight.

The Smoke:

I give it a charring light, just to warm things up. No rise in the tobacco - it just sits there and smolders. The first taste is earthy and plain. I suddenly realise that even the plainest of regular pipe tobacco shows a subtle sweetness not present with this. Second light and it catches and burns. The first mouthful feels thick and rich in the mouth. You can almost feel a weightiness to it. I snork it and the smoke is strong, but doesn't have the sting I sometimes get from virginia's and perique. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what I'm tasting. It's very hard to put into words. It's definely different than anything I've smoked before. A woody taste - not hickory. Maybe a bit of oak? Again, I'm at a loss. Now I'm starting to feel something. I'd eaten a full lunch before sitting down with this - again, that reputation. A little light headed, which is something that I don't mind. I actually enjoy a little nicotine buzz from time to time. It can be very relaxing. I set the pipe down and try to enjoy that glow.

Except it's getting stronger. I'd been retrohaling (snorking) almost every puff trying to get a good idea of the taste. That was a mistake. About 2 minutes after setting the pipe down, I notice that I'm salivating like a starving man staring through a Delicatessen window. Except, I'm not hungry. Matter of fact, the thought of food is making me a little queasy. I'm no 'virgin' to nicotine, so I know what's going on. It's just never happened this FAST before. I head for the bathroom to throw some water in my face. I look in the mirror, and while I'm not actually green, I am a 'lighter shade of pale'. No sugared drinks in the house, but do have a candy bar chillin' in the fridge, so I grab it and take a bite. It doesn't taste so great, but I know that I have to get my blood sugar up. I step out the back door to get some fresh air. Luckily it's been a nice day - cool, not cold. Still a little queasy, but better...

It's been about two and a half hours now. The pipe is sitting in it's stand. I guess I must of smoked a little more than half of the bowl. I have absolutely no desire to finish it.

Did it taste bad? No. Did it taste good? I'm not sure - the jury is still out on what the flavor really was. Was it fun? Hell no. I gave up that kind of 'fun' in my early years (1960's) of wacky weed and roller coasters.

Will I keep it? Sure. But I sure as heck ain't ever gonna smoke it 'straight' again. I'll no doubt use it as a mixer for bumping up a boring bowl. But at that rate I figure a 100 gram bag ought to last me about 10 years...

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (120)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

This stuff is not for the faint of heart. When I first received a couple sticks of it my wife was curious and she wanted to know what is was. After I explained she looked at it like it was a loaded diaper and asked me to not steam it or smoke it in the house. During the steaming process it turned black and smelled like the forementioned loaded diaper. I wonder if the Indonesians soak it in monkey pi$$ before they wrap it with sisal. It is much stronger than anything I've ever smoked and the nic hit knocks me on my rump. I don't regret tryintg it but I definitely won't be buying any more of it.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

_Some_ of the reviewers of this tobacco have only reviewed this one tobacco. They had a lot to say about Tambo, but NOTHING to say about any other tobacco. Hmmm....

Tambo is okay. A robust enough smoke. A little bit of hassle to prepare, but not much more effort than plug.

If it was widely available then I dare say it'd have a following, but it's not worth jumping through the hoops involved in ordering from Indonesia.

Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I was gifted a generous size sample from a friend that enjoys strong tobacco, I am not sure of the age of the sample. I smoked Tambolaka very dry. I must admit that it took me a while to dig in as it has the worst pouch scent I have ever encountered and I have smoked a ton of different blends. As an avid, twenty year cigar smoker prior to my pipe life, I don't get the cigar comparison here as I find it tastes nothing like any cigar I have ever smoked. It may be just my body chemistry, but I found the first part of the bowl to have an underlying sweetness and no bite. It is very strong as others have noted. I find it much stronger than the Gawith Hoggarth ropes that I smoke on occasion. The flavors are deep and build throughout the bowl. Tambolaka is pure tobacco, plain and simple. It's not bad, and I enjoy stronger tobaccos, but there are just so many other blends on the market that are far more interesting. If you have very limited pipe tobacco options or your main reason for enjoying a pipe is Lady N, than this tobacco will fill the bill. At best, Tambolaka would be a once in a blue moon smoke for me.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Have been fascinated reading here and elsewhere about this tobacco and I now have some sticks and ready-rubbed to try. At the moment, I am finding the ready-rubbed more user friendly as cutting and breaking up a stick produced a lot of snuff like dust. I've not steamed anything yet but I will try that on the next stick I unwrap. Am a little concerned about the problem of mould, as on the stick I cut up dry I noticed some white patches deep inside...which look a lot like dried mould to me.

The stick smells to me just like a cigar....and the tobacco smokes very much like a cigar. I don't notice any other flavours, not that that is a criticism...far from it; it's a pleasant strong smoke, perfect after a good meal and with a strong coffee.

I think, and this is for the first time in nearly 50 years of pipe smoking, that a couple of good sized bowls of Tambolanka nearly put me to sleep at the PC and gave me very vivid dreams when I staggered off to bed! It's certainly up there with the Ropes when it comes to vitamin N.

Wayang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wayang (1)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

This tobacco comes close to being my holy grail. I haven't tried as large a range of tobaccos as many pipe smokers, mainly because I haven't had much access: I live in Indonesia, where there are very few pipe smokers. Some of the OTC blends are available, such as Captain Black, but if that's all that's on offer, I'd rather smoke a straight non-premium Indonesian cigar. For a while I had supplies sent from C and D, but Customs have made that more and more difficult.

So, I was delighted to see this tobacco available locally. Not just available locally, but PRODUCED locally. The world's best pipe tobacco, and we never knew it! It's a strong, powerful, rich, complex tobacco that starts off very soft but builds up to a crescendo.

As some have noted, it might be too strong for all day use. The only English style tobacco I've seen in Jakarta is TG Fox and Hound, which I don't like by itself at all. But I mixed one part F and H with two parts Tambolaka, and it tastes great! The burley and virginia become condiment tobaccos to give the tambolaka more complexity. I really like it like this, and it's slightly milder in taste and nicotine content. If I had access to other light English tobaccos, I'd experiment with other blends with the Tambolaka, but this will do for now.

An earlier experiment blending Tambolaka with Borkum Riff Ultra Mild was a dismal failure. Yuck. I thought that the Tambolaka would overwhelm the BR and make it inoffensive, but it still managed to insinuate itself unpleasantly into the conversation. I chucked the mix out.

Zfog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zfog (3)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Tambo is a great tobacco IMO. I got it in stick form and steamed it, bringing it back to life. Kind of like Frankenstein, this stuff really is like a monster! After the steaming process I left it out to dry up a bit for about 6 hours. At that point I put most of it in a jar and kept some out to smoke. Upon lighting I feel like I am smoking toby in a far away Indonesian village, it is cool stuff. Figuring that most of the people in the world have never even heard of this stuff. It is very strong, but I like that. I love ropes and plugs and this is right up that alley. This could also be used as a condiment to spice up another tobacco. This is one that should be tried by everyone (except the faint of heart)!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (76)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

Well, after a couple of dozen bowls, in a half dozen different pipes...this one is certainly a welcome item. To me it comes off as being sweet, smokey, and with a kinda strange undertow of an 'anise-raisin-hemp' flavor/aroma. It smokes cool and very, very clean and is totally at the ideal mositure level as it came, in the pouch. Super easy to light and get going. Haven't played with the 'stick' thing as yet. The stuff looks like last year's leaf mulch that's been left in the compost pile for a year, then nicely dried, and dyed to a uniform dark reddish brown color...just taking part in the description contest here.'s totally heaven in the bowl. Dy-No-Mite!

A few on other sites have mentioned it as a blender, though I think it stands very well on it's own. Blending might be interesting, though, as it has a distinct likeness to an Oriental already with that smokey background and the musty sweet hempish notes. But I'm not a blender and I digress. I think I'll just enjoy it as is. It's unique, quite potent and overall one of the most significant new finds I've come across in a long, long while. Like I said's heaven in the bowl.

Short Story: This is an instant classic.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (38)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

I received an ounce of Tambolaka as a gift; it was already rubbed out and ready to smoke. It was on the dry side when I smoked the first bowl. There is a gamey, vegetal aspect in addition to natural tobacco flavor that was particularly noticeable in the first few bowls. I didn't know if I would be able to get past that at first but found that I kept coming back for more. This stuff grows on you. The taste that I spoke of is not unpleasant but is unlike anything I've experienced up to now. It is a relatively strong (nicotine) tobacco compared to most available tobaccos. It burns fairly quickly and dry, but that may be because my sample is fairly dry. The flavor is very satisfying, just plain tobacco without adornment. I did not find it to be bitter.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaums, briars

Age When Smoked: unknown (a gift)

Purchased From: a gift

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (122)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have the rubbed-out version. Didn't want to struggle with the cylindrical granitic blocks I've been reading about. Mine is quite dry, with tough little flakes that look like miniature black Corn Flakes. It packs beautifully, and because it's dry (I prefer all my tobacco on the dry-ish side) there's little worry about packing it too tightly. I crammed it in and there's still plenty of air flow.

I first smoked this fresh off the UPS truck five years ago. My memory is not that razor sharp for things like this, but I feel it's mellowed in flavor over the years. It's still strong but surprisingly smooth.

Yup, it's strong. If you like vitamin N look no further. I like to exhale through my nose when possible to get more of the flavors in a tobacco, but I don't really do that with this one - it's just a little too spicy for that, so it actually robs from the nuances in the flavor.

Speaking of flavor, it's similar in some ways to the strong ropes and twists. Some call it an "industrial" or "oily" taste, which in my opinion is a good thing. It's certainly unique, very earthy but not campfire smoky like a strong Latakia blend.

Tonight I'm enjoying it with a generous pour of Talisker 10 Year which actually stands up to the Tambo very well. This weed is a very good alternative to cigars, but be careful - one inch of this in a bowl about the same diameter as a cigar will put a noob on his or her tush faster than any six-inch stogie. And I like strong cigars!

Many talk about blending it with other tobaccos, but I am a purist and rarely do that. However, I am tempted to mix in a little pure Latakia to give it that smoky punch I love. I'll let you know how that turns out...

Pipe Used: Large(ish) Salvinelli Billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh & 5 years

Similar Blends: Certain G&H and SG ropes and twists..

iwanpc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
iwanpc (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have tried only several times. 6 bowls total. It's a pipe tobacco, yes, but not so good pipe tobacco as its told.

Never tried to mix with other pipe tobacco. Just smoke it straight several times in local pipe smokers gathering. No door- slam, dog-bites, or even smack down effect, or any other story proven. I don't know, perhaps I have to inhale to get those effects? No thanks.

I've made order directly to TNT, and got a fast reply. But I have made mistake by adding extra letter. No rejection confirmation from my bank. Until tonight I realize there was a rejection. I sent again, and I asked for apology for this misunderstanding. I attached PDF file (bank prove) and an edited pic (to hide my balance, of course). The respond from seller was very unpleasant by accusing me as an online fraudsters, photoshop freak.

For just an ordinary pipe tobacco, just average, and this kind of service, i think this pipe tobacco is not worth to buy.

don't get caught by the hype.

Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

This was the rubbedout variety, and came pretty crisp. I only smoked 1/3 of a bowl of a traditional clay and it wasn't too much. From now on, I'll use my tiny-bowled Elizabethan-style clay for this (I'll need to get a small-headed screw or nail to use as a tamper). Need a N hit coupled with the taste of a v good strong cigar? This is for you. This is tasty in small doses. Smoke a large bowl of this and you either have a very high N tolerance, or you should not operate any complicated machinery, like a pencil.

Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is not very likely. But it IS very tasty!

ttimothy.ll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ttimothy.ll (3)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

A solid tobacco, but I use it only in small quantities and mixed with a burley or an english... otherwise the taste and nicotine are just TOO much... not to mention the powerful tingling I get in my mouth and throat if I smoke it straight!!

As a condiment however, I enjoy it very much... it adds richness - somewhat cigar-like - to a smoke. However, even like this my wife can't stand being near it!

An aside: Preparation went a bit sour for me (make sure to let it dry FULLY)... all seemed well until spots of mold started forming in my largest jar of tambolaka! Needless to say I had to do some emergency surgery, amputating a decent bit of it, but the rest seems o.k. :s

AmBaal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AmBaal (1)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

TL;DR: Get This. This is excellent. Might kill you though.

Indonesian tobacco growers managed to create something really close to a miracle, and if it would be any more common and easier to get, it put many many of tobacco producers to a great deal of shame

The combination of qualities in this tobacco is truly amazing: it is very soft, extremely complex in flavour and yet it is strong as hell.

I've received mine in its raw form: 3 inch long round stick about 1.5 inch in diameter, wrapped in very rough cord. The stuff was stiff as a brick and looked like it is made of dried-up clay, from outside there wasn't a single hint that this log has anything to do with tobacco leaves.

Some people asking whether they can simply rub it as you would do with a normal flake, and it is about as possible as rubbing a stone. It took me a very sharp and sturdy knife to chip a disk off the stick. Inside, it was as solid as outside, but very nice and oily. It is a tobacco in it's purest form: nothing added or taken away (however I did think that they might keep those logs a bit too close to compost heap when I was steaming and unraveling it)

It took good amount of steaming to get this thing to break apart, but once it started to do so, it definitely looked promising. I've separated it into very subtle and very oily, fermented tobacco leaves. Word of warning though, it expands A LOT: 160g stick probably will yield around 1-1.5 litre jar full of proper tobacco. Which then will need cutting and a bit of drying out. And you WOULD WANT to use rubber gloves while working with it, the amount of oilyness once it's steamed is astonishing.

And then I smoked it, a small bowl corn-cob pipe full of wide-cut ribbons. It took a bit of relights to get it started (probably could use a bit more drying), but once it was lit, it stayed this way, burning very evenly and cool.

The taste was amazing. Being a simple tobacco without any additives, the taste is so soft, rich and satisfying that I couldn't believe it. It does resemble a very, very good cigar (which is understandable since same tobacco is used for cigars). Despite the fact that smell during steaming was sometimes rather hideous, both flavour and room note are very nice. Prepared tobacco actually does smell like a tea somewhat.

It started with excellent earthly and somewhat fruity notes, and stayed excellent till the end of the bowl, with various smell nuances appearing along the way. It gives a hint of smokiness and pretty much every taste nuance that can come from tobacco during smoke, but stays unbelievably smooth and full-bodied all the way.

The smoke is thick and rich, very cigar-like but much softer and smoother. No matter what I did, be it sipping or puffing like a steam train, I wasn't able to overheat the pipe. There was no bite at all, no matter how hard I puff. It is cool all the way, and very little moisture was found on balsa filter, despite tobacco being very oily and rather moist when I packed it. It is unbelievable. I never smoked anything like it in my whole experience. God save you, by the way, if you decided to inhale it, unless you have lungs and throat of steel and generally you are a solidly-built robot. It probably would crumble lesser robots too.

It is also strong. No, it's STRONG. It is really surprising how something this smooth, soft and tasty can be that strong, it's almost if you are making love with Monica Bellucci, but in the end you realize it was Mike Tyson all the way and he actually was beating you pretty hard. I once made a mistake of taking it as a morning smoke on empty stomach and I was barely able to walk from a small bowl. Imagine having a really full-bodied churchill cigar, only in a small bowl and this probably would be it. Only stronger and tastier.

It probably would be nice in a blend with something (latakia?) to reduce it's strength, but frankly, I can't think of anything that might add something positive to the taste.

Get this tobacco. Smuggle it, steal it, buy it - if you are a tobacco aficionado, missing this one would be a disaster. Get it fast: there is no way something like this can exist long enough in modern world, it is bound to get worse, and if big tobacco brands realize full extent of this tobacco, they probably will bomb Indonesia to make sure no-one knows of it.

Commit war crimes in Indonesia and ask this as your last wish in front of a firing squad if you have to, but get it.

And don't smoke it on empty stomach, for god's sake. Also do not get the idea of smoking packaging rope too, i've tried it and it wasn't great at all.

Steel Talon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steel Talon (1)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great tobacco is pleasant to smoke. But, it's not for the uninitiated though. Be advised it's "HEAVY" with vitamin N. Until you get use to it be ready to go sleep like a log after a full bowl. Goes very well with good scotch! MMmmmm Tastey.

If you choose the 3 inch sticks (over the pre cut offering.) Be prepared to spend a bit of time preparing the tobacco. One stick filled 2 pint Ball jars. This was my first taste of its Vitamin N through contact absorption with my hands as I steamed, seperated, and cut the leaves. In a word WOW!

Others I have spoken with, like to blend the Tambo with Sugar Barrel, or some Carter Hall etc etc. You do owe it to your self to try it. Have some in your cellar, remember to share some Tambo with your fellow pipe enthusiasts.

Peace and Good Karma~

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (32)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

This tobacco is what caused me to shift from cigars to the pipe. Pure rich tobacco with a kick that cigars never had. I got the ready rubbed but would have preferred the arduous prep work the sticks would have demaned. Not an everyday tobacco. About once a week I'll fire up a tiny bowl of this, some rope, 5 Brothers, or SG 1792 flake for an N bomb. Mostly looking for Lat bombs, but need variety in my butt-kickers. Oh, don't mix this with 5 Brothers. Strong, but nasty tasting.

Pipe Used: briar & cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh & 6 months

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Bulldog Jeff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog Jeff (11)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Unnoticeable

Loose, pre-chopped. WOW! Looks and smells like Jagermeister barfed onto the floor and soaked up by pieces of a cigar that got slammed in a car door a few times, allowed to dry, and then chewed up by a dog. I tried to rub it out. Bruised the palms of my hands, which were by then tingly and slightly numb from the nicotine. Put it in the mortar & pestle to no avail - just left some skid-marks. I contemplated going down to the corner Mexi-Mart to obtain a Molcajete (South American mortar & pestle hand-carved from lava, available at every bodega in Los Angeles), but curiosity got the best of me and I dropped a few of these unprocessesed black rocks into an unsuspecting Featherweight. Lit, puffed once, put it down. Dang. I'm going to have to learn some manners if I want to smoke this stuff. God help me if I accidentally inhale. Oh well, the hospital is only two blocks away, and the cell phone is handy. Lit again, puffed a few times. My nose burned and my eyes watered, but the flavor was starting to come through. My tongue was starting to get that bitter taste around the edges like I had eaten too many sweets. Puffed again, very gently, snorking by using the "humming-bird" technique with my tongue. Never thought I would use that in pipe smoking. Wow that's good. Like a Virginia / Burley blend digested by a vegetarian dinosaur. Slightly sweet, barely spicey, robust and full flavored. Light notes of chocolate & natural licorice. Burned all the way down to black-speckled grey ash, fully blackening a pipe cleaner that was used for cleanup. This is now at the top of my list. I will be ordering a meter of this in stick form. Loading the Featherweight again...

commonsenseman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
commonsenseman (4)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Over the past few months I've smoked this stuff almost every day. Every time I smoke it I seem to notice something new. It's a very dark, natural tasting tobacco. When you're first processing it (it comes in very tightly compacted "sticks") it smells very earthy & quite strong. It's very fun to smoke since it comes completely unprepared. You get to decide whether to fully rub it out or smoke it as a flake, or even as a disc. The only downside I've noticed to this stuff is that it's not real easy to get lit, once it's going though maintaining a bowl is quite easy & it burns all the way down to ash with minimal re-lights. It seems to smoke best when it's on the dry side, otherwise it can be harsh. It's something that needs to be smoked very slowly to be fully enjoyed, if you try to rush things you may get bit & you are almost guaranteed to not enjoy yourself.

It's the strangest thing, but this is the only tobacco that I've noticed an aroma of Black Tea, that's the only way I can describe it & it's WONDERFUL.

This stuff is extremely satisfying & will give you quite a nicotine kick if that's what you're looking for. I would suggest smoking it on a full stomach & while sitting down.

To sum up:

-smoke it dry -smoke it slowly -smoke it often

If you follow those 3 important guidelines you will be rewarded hansomely with an amazing & unique smoking experience.

4 out of 4.