An all Virginia blend comprised of Red Virginia ribbon, Gold flake, red and black matured Virginia cake tobaccos, enhanced with the slight addition of Perique and a scented Virginia flake. For the lover of straight Virginia blends, a smooth and naturally sweet mixture!

BrandPark-Lane Tobacconist
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste

3.7
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I don’t believe that Park Lane sources any of their blend components; rather they use a wide variety of existing tobaccos. Red Paramour is an excellent example of how well a new blend can be created from something else. There is a difference between a scented tobacco and a blend with a small component that in includes a scented flake. I would politely disagree with those that claim otherwise. Those that are put off by Lakeland or other scented blends should not be afraid to try this fine blend. It is lightly sweet and somewhat complex. The Perique is noticeable throughout the smoke, but it isn’t overpowering. I tend to be a bit of a “puffer” and clincher, so I did need to be careful with RP. It didn’t bite, but will burn a little warm if pushed. RP is an interesting, well blended tobacco.

Purchased From: Park Lane Tobacconist

turfprince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
turfprince (4)
Medium Medium Full Strong

I'm surprised this tobacco has not been reviewed more frequently. I bought a 4 0z. a few months ago, and I immediately order an 8 0z. tin. At first I did not think it remarkable in any way. It smells mild; it smokes rather stronger. It packs well, with a heavier hand tamp useful after the charring light. It stays lit nicely (I think I did 3 relights) to the bottom of the bowl. I smoked it in a Stanwell Silhoette--and that was a mistake. This tobacco needs "room" to spread out and really deliver the goods. Subsequent smokes were in a Jobey Extra E 30 or a Wooden Indian freehand. The change made a difference. This is obviously high quality tobacco. The Virginia is solid and slightly sweet. The light sweetness gets more prounced as you progress through the bowl. The perique is very understated, though the tingle of it is generally present throughout the smoke. My bottom line opinion is that this smoke is relaxing, full, and pure tobacco. I puffed rather slowly, French inhaled quite a bit, and had a very pleasant smoke. I would give this 3.5 stars, but there is no such thing; so, 4 stars it is. Turfprince

Well, this one gets an "A" for originality! I'm not quite as excited about it as my fellow reviewers, however. Perhaps my 1 oz or so sample was not sufficient to really get a feel for this one.

As mentioned, the color ran the gamut from light to dark and everything in between. This one loaded easily and burned well, with no trace of bite. The flavor was mostly sweet virginia with a very noticeable casing that tasted of vanilla to me. As with the usual run of "scented" flakes, this was more than just scent. The added sweetener was evident in every puff. No problem there! The perique, however, was missing in action. I noticed no perique spiciness, nor any of the peppery or briny nature of perique that I typically get when snorking. So what, if anything, was added to the blend by the perique was missed by me.

Puffed at a normal moderate level, this one retained the flavor of the sweet casing throughout the smoke without becoming bitter or harsh. I enjoyed it, but if I ever buy any, I will smoke this only occasionally. If you like virginia blends that are a little left of naturally flavored, give this a try. I think it's a gallant effort, but it just didn't hit me as well as some other "scented" tobaccos.

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (10)

This is an interesting blend of tobacco, very sweet and natural. When I first tried this blend I thought I got sent a Lakeland tobacco. It had floral and soapy undertones, not overly strong but definitely there and I was not initially impressed and so jarred what I had and left it to age. I re-found this blend the other week and haven't been able to stop smoking it, hence why some folk call it, “Red Crack”. It has changed with some age on it. The sweetness is still there but the floral and soapy undertones have dissipated and what's left is a great vaper with the perique being used as a condiment only, leaving a gentle spiciness in the mouth and a slight tingle in the nose which I find very pleasant. If you like a sweet tobacco without any additives and a hay like aftertaste this may be the blend for you and I highly recommend it. It smokes to a fine grey ash and it's never hot and doesn't bite whether you're a puffer or sipper. Enjoy it in good health.

OH, how sweet it is! I have heard others call this one Red Crack and habit forming it is! This is absolutly delicious and quality stuff. It is a VA blend thathas a touch of perique and a scented VA but they don't list what the scent is, but I detect no flavoring at all, just the very,very sweet VA blend and just a touch of perique in the after taste giving it a little spicyness. The tobacco has a sweet aroma in the pouch, more like fresh cut fields than the peaty aroma of most VaPers. It is a short ribbon cut with the flakes of tobacco running from khaki colored to very dark brown. It come a touch moist but with a few hours drying it becomes mana to smoke. It light's easy and packs easy and at the first puff the sweet VA sugars just explode on your tongue. The smoke is creamy and thick, and gives no bite it you davor it, can bite you if you puff too fast which you will want to do. It burns at a medium fast rate for the first half of the bowl and then settles to a nice slow burn for the second half. The sample bag I am smoking is new from the shop, I can just imagine what this blend will do with some age on it, it will be sublime I am sure. It burns with a black and grey ash and will burn all the way down to a powdery ash and little dottle. The room note is actually pleasant, I guess that's where the scented leaf comes in. The aftertaste in your mouth will make you not want to eat anything that will remove the taste as you mouth will have a wonderful sweet after taste. I highly recommned this blend and I will soon be ordering some to cellar as it has already earned a place in my rotation. Great stuff indeed.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoke a lot of VaPer's and my curiousity was piqued when I caught wind of this blend. My four ounces is mostly a reddish-brown in color and clearly of top grade leaf. The perique is there and wafts in and out during the smoke. The scented flake is most definitely present throughout the smoke but is not overpowering in anyway, in fact it's subtle. What that "scenting" is exactly I'm unsure. I've had no trouble with lighting and it has burned clean straight to the bottom of the bowl.

I'm looking forward to more bowls to see how it develops. An interesting tobacco.

Pipe Used: straight bulldog

daveyj66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daveyj66 (8)

This is good tobbaco that has you going back for more. I bought a pound in the spring and between giving samples to buddies and smoking myself it is gone! It has this sweet pepper taste that is hard to describe other then that this tobacco is top shelf stuff! Red Paramour has found a spot in my cellar.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I love bright virginias (red, gold/yellow), and this blend is for me among the best in that category. Previous reviewers have noted its "addictive" tastiness and flavor. To ensure you "get" it when smoking it, let it languish some time in a mason jar after opening the tin or, particularly, the bulk order. Do this the first time you buy it. If you don't, you probably won't have the strength of will to jar it for a month or two; you'd go through the jar in a week! The typical red virginia tangy flavor is here in full charm, and seems somehow able to attack all my tastebuds at once, while always remaining a relaxing and uncomplicated smoke. Smoked dry and straight down for me, with a remarkable consistency of its flavor throughout the bowl. Down to, as they say, a clean gray ash.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Bulk sample arrived with the blend looking like fallen autumn leaves of all colors. Wonderful aroma in the bag and lacking sticks or stems which is a plus for a bulk blend. Smolders nicely after the charring light and has that sweet/sour taste one associates with a great VaPer blend. Smoked several bowls today through my Savinelli Bing's Favorite and the flavor builds in strength and sweetness ending with a wonderful perique spicyness. Room aroma is very pleasant as noted by others.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend makes me feel very pretentious. It imparts a very regal feeling I've not encountered before. As if I'm smoking the very best that virginia blends have to offer. Another reviewer has said that this is a melange of excellent name brand mixtures. So maybe that's the reason. I rubbed it out on the second try and the smoking qualities were greatly improved. It's loaded with flavor, without any bite, and is smooth from start to finish. There is a gentle sweetness that I find very intoxicating. Worth a try to all those who like medium virginia blends. The perique is very light and adds to the pleasure.

Update: My enthusiasm for this blend has declined and so is my rating to 3 stars.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I agree that the collection of cuts that this tobacco has is enough reason to buy it, but since we buy tobacco to smoke and not to watch it, lets begin the review; the scented virginia taste is there the way sort of sweet sort of soapy, the perique is noticeable but not overbearing the red virginia is the most present element, it's a easy blend to smoke and light but to me is just boring, I have 8oz in the cellar maybe aging will make this one more interesting.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

WOW!! This is just cram-packed with all types, sorts, styles and cuts of just the highest quality Virgina tobaccos. Ribbon, broken flake, chopped plug, coarse cut. Reds and blacks, browns and golds. I detect some Lakeland flake, also McClelland and Rattrays, and God only knows what else! The melange of all these fine tobaccos may seem haphazard but this is a blend I would make up myself if I could afford to assemble the indivdual components. A full 5 stars!