A ready-rubbed, black and brown mix with a delightfully sweet pouch aroma of licorice and vanilla.

BrandTheodorus Niemeyer
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringOther / Misc, Vanilla
Packaging50g Pouch
CountryNL
Strength
Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild, Medium
Pleasant, Tolerable
2.0
Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I remember this stuff. It smelled like fermented sweat socks in the pouch and it didn't have a lot of flavor when it was lit. Maybe it is as well it has benn discontinued.

I requested this review as I was curious if anyone else remembers this brand. I remember smoking it in the early 1980's. It is very unlike its original Flying Dutchman counterpart. It tasted like something you would find at the local Tinderbox. It was basically a black/brown ready-rubbed mixture of Burley and Virginia cavendish. It had a pouch aroma of licorice and vanilla, but not too over the top. The taste was mild without much aromatic flavor. The predominant tobacco taste was more Virginia than Burley. I never tasted the vanilla or licorice, but was complimented on the room note each and every time I smoked it. It never smoked hot like the original FD. The only similarities between the two would be in the use of "Flying Dutchman" in their respective names. This is interesting as Theodorus Niemeyer (the original FD blender) blended this mild concoction as well as the original FD, all of the Clan mixtures, and Mayflower - all very Dutch in their style (cut, hot smoke, etc.).

I wouldn't mind trying it again, but I do not think it is being produced any longer. I can't remember seeing it past the mid 1980's. I'd sure love to read any other piper's thoughts on this one if you ever tried it. 3 stars for what I remember as a pleasant, although mild, smoking experience.