A mild aromatic blend with just enough Latakia to give satisfaction to the pipe smoker's taste, yet with a very pleasant aroma for those around him. Smooth and full-bodied.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Strength
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full

A mild aromatic English. The black cavendish has some vanilla flavor, and the latakia gives a lightly smokey hit that rises this mixture above regular cavendish/burley blends. The topping is sweet, and I get a slight plum note. The burley flavor is crowded out a little, and is a supporting player. The burley is a little more noticeable if you give it a little drying time. Cool smoking, burns well, extremely pleasant taste that smells good, too.

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (8)

Like so many of us, I am one of those pipe smokers that has varying tastes. One day it might be a nutty burley, or a burley/brignt, a nice aromatic, and an English latakia forward blend. Depend on the day and mood. Quite by accident my friendly tobacconist offered me a taste of this one. I had my doubt whether this combination of burley, cavendish and light latakia was a bit of a mongrel, neither fish, nor fowl.

My first puff, and I was shocked.

Yes it had a lovely light vanilla tone, but then again the latakia was there too - just enought - while my very favorite burley nuttiness came through in intermittent wisps. Now at least one other reviewer felt these different elemets cancellled one another out. For him I'm sure this was a personal reaction - he wants a blend to have a more singular character.

I don't.

As a spirits reviewer, I can tell you that younger spirits do in fact have that singular element, but the reward of aging begins to bring the elements together in what can only be described as a balanced and intergrated harmony, complex enought that no one element dominates, but is clearly there. That is a mark of a great spirit and in this case applies to this lovely blend.

Yes, the elements are there. Yes, they do at times coalesce, but still allow each component to sneak out here to make themselves evident. Oh - nice aromatics! And then alongs comes a bit of nuttiness, then some smoke. Such a presentation is interesting and infatuating. Lovely and rewarding, easily a daily smoker that won't bore, but won't overwhelm, that will keep you interested and pleased.

Pipe Used: Savinelli full bent military, Peterson style; cob

Age When Smoked: unknown, months at least

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favorite tobacco so far. When I decided to venture into English tobaccos, I was sniffing the bulks that my tobacconist had and the smell of this one pushed me to purchasing an ounce. When I lit it I found myself in tobacco Heaven! It had the pleasant smells of an aromatic and the strength and kick of a mild English tobacco. This tobacco goes for aromatic and English lovers alike!

I give this 5 stars. The availability of this seems limited, but if you can get hold of some, please give it a try.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (26)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Purchased on a big bulk binge. My 4 ounce bag of this was overly moist as the tobacconist keeps it that way. Aroma in the bag is nothing close to an English blend. A very sweet note coming from the nice black and gold combination of leaf. A nice cut devoid of stem and stock that packs nicely in the bowl. This has no discernible real flavor. Just a nice sweet flavor which once in a while peaks of an almost nutty taste. But then it goes away just about as soon as you notice. No dynamic to this, so if you want complexity look elsewhere. But if your after a nice sweet constant smoke that would be a good all day smoke I recommend. No real tongue bite. A very satisfying full draw smoke. The room note is satisfying to most.

Pipe Used: Peterson 2013 St. Patrick's X220