Black - that is the first impression of this fascinating tobacco.
Sweet-spicy and wonderfully piquant is the second, taken in by
the nose. What can this be? Black pepper, freshly ground.
An aroma all its own. In this traditional Black Cavendish of sugary
VAs, the pepper makes for a hint of cool freshness (yes, cool!)
over a round, sweet-tinted taste.

Notes: Description translated from Dan Pipe shop.

BrandBull Dog
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish
Packaging100 g tin, 250 g bulk
Strength
Taste
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I am not in the habit of eating crow (I prefer chicken and turkey), but for a long time I have made it known that I consider all pure Black Cavendish mixes to be quite a few bars short of a song.

I hereby announce that I stand corrected. It is possible to produce a BC blend that actually has merit, and Dan Tobacco (the makers of the Bulldog blends) have done it with this offering.

The tin contains ready-rubbed, very dark-to-black tobacco. I have seen darker BC; this fits in on the brighter end of the gamut. My nose confirms that VA has been used: this is exceptional. It's a BC where I can actually detect the base tobacco used, by scent alone. The musty sweetness with slightly peppery notes of all the "usual" BCs is in there, but far less musty and with much more brightness. The main theme, though, remains "sweetness."

The leaf, being a ready-rubbed, pretty broadly cut flake, does not even need stuffing. Just finagle it into the bowl (wide bowls preferred), gently press down a little and top off, light up and enjoy. It's sweet. There is no Nic kick, nor any hint of strong aromas: this really is plain tobacco, and the advertised pepper aroma is very much in the background, manifesting as a gentle bright note with some... er, pepperiness, which lingers on after finishing the pipe, in a very nice way.

Not bad at all -- I just finished another bowl, in a Falcon, and it was delicious. Though I'm going to have to suck on a bowl of Peterson's University Flake just to stock up on Nicotine.