black cavendish, pure and simple

Notes: black cavendish

Mild, Medium
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The black cavendish is vanilla. The topping greatly adds to the vanilla, too, along with a hint of caramel. No nic-hit. Needs a bit of dry time or you'll risk a wet bowl and dottle. Won't bite. A one dimensional product, but it makes a decent mixer and is a flavorful all day blend in this genre. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note.

Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I have a pipe smoking friend in another state who loves blending his own tobaccos. He recently indicated to me that Walgreen's Black Cavendish, blended 50/50 with McClelland's Pure Latakia provides for a wonderful, sweet English style smoke. Naturally I had to give it a try and he was right!

As for the straight up review of Walgreen's Black Cavendish, I tried a bowl in a pipe dedicated to aromatics. Very light and mild with a buttery sweet flavor that lingered on the tongue and my moustache for a long time. Typical of the Walgreens aromatic blends, this one was quality all the way and burned quite easily considering its genre.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

As with other Wallgreens tobaccos I have to place it in a baking pan and leave it in the garage for a day or so to help dry it out somewhat. Overall it isn't bad when you consider the price,it lights and burns fairly well and isn't overpowering.

It's a little too sweet for me and my wife has commented on the "burning marshmellow" odor. It blends well with Half&Half in a 40/60 mix, (40 of the BC and 60 0f H&H.) The plusses are its available most everywhere and isn't expensive.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

I have some of this at the house now, and I use it to mix with. Last week I had small amount of MC #24 and mixed it 1/2@1/2 and it was great. The #24 could still be tasted but with just a little sweetness, I've done the same with tobacco that I just didn't like and it ended up making it tolerable. I smoke latakia's, and virginia's mostly, but this is not bad straight for a change of pace and it smokes dry for me.

Really not too horrible for the price. Not overly gunky, though it does seem to contain an artificial PG casing of some sort. A fellow pipe smoker I met at Walgreens had bought a bag, and was buying another, and he gave me a sample. I smoked a little straight and was neither impressed nor disgusted, but found the remainder good for blending: to tone down, as it were. I've tried two Walgreens blends, and if you are trying to save money, you could do worse.