A medium to mild blend of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos with a natural aroma enhanced by a subtle flavor.

Notes: For the newest issue of Capstan, See Mac Baren-Capstan

Taste

3.6
CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

An excellent virginia flake at a very reasonable price, at least here in italy. Equivalent to FVF, this tobacco is ready to be smoked, not too wet and not too dry. Always perfectly ready: and this is something Samuel Gawith will hardly learn. Flake come in thin slices, so rubbing them is a matter of a second.

I dont know why this is so underrated, and FVF get all those stars, but so much better for the price of the tin..

Pipe Used: lubinsky

Similar Blends: Full Virginia Flake.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Extremely smooth, creamy smoke - almost silky. Two flakes, folded, fit perfectly in the bowl of my Grabow Grand Duke (no filter). Perfect straight from the tin. Slight raisin-like fruit flavor. Tastes like Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake, in equal amounts, with the positives of both. Flavor and strength build through the bowl. Excellent flavor, particularly when sipped. 4-*.

Pipe Used: Grabow Grand Duke, MM

Age When Smoked: APR 2013

Purchased From: P&C

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

New version by Mac Barens. Beautiful light brown thin flakes in the tin, perfect for folding. A nice clean tin aroma with the usual virginia hay and grass and an underlying spicy fruitiness. But not over the top on any one aroma.

In the pipe, this reminds me of a mix of Mac Barens Virginia Flake and Dunhill Light Flake. It has the formers middle-of-the road hay flavor but not its lack of pizzaz. It has the latters hint of sour fruit and spiciness but not its bold flavor. This would then be a solid if unremarkable virginia flake that smokes very cleanly and easily, and with a very moderate amount of complexity. No overabundance of nicotine and it stays lit very well. It shows some potential greatness at times and this would be a good one for me to cellar and smoke again with some serious age on it. Something tells me a 5 year old tin of this would hit 4 stars solidly. I never consciously wanted for anything when smoking this - never wished it were this or that. It was just a nice comforting smoke that completely took my mind off the fact that I was puffing. A nice "set it and forget it" tobacco, but with the promise of something great down the road.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Capstan Original Navy Cut Blue Label Made in Denmark by Mac Baren Tobacco 2013 Imported by Sutliff Tobacco Company

The 1.75 oz pocket tin size

Wonderful Virginian Flake Tobacco

This tobacco smells great with a nice depth to the aroma versus the Gold Label which has a lighter smell to it, with near perfect moisture level straight out of the tin

Whether you fold and stuff or rub it out the tobacco is easy to maintain a consistent burn in almost every pipe that i smoke it out of. I even tried dicing it up into little cubes to see if that would affect the flavor any. I smoked this tobacco in several of my smaller sized pipes so that it would last me longer. The tobacco burned evenly from start to finish and the flavors remained consistent all the way to the end of each bowl

I can not compare this new version to the older versions but i can say that it is a very enjoyable tobacco with a rich virginian taste that is slightly sweet and has depth and character.

This is definitely a tobacco worthy of purchase and can be enjoyed immediately. I am interested to see what a little bit or age would do to an unopened tin as i am sure this would be very good in the years to come.

My 5 star rating = 4.5 out of 5

1pound or 5 pound boxes would be great !!!

Pipe Used: pipestone, briar, meerschaum and olive wood

Purchased From: sutliff

This review is based on the Orlik version of this blend that I was buying from Denmark in 2010 & 2011. As with the Willis version, I find this to be more on the mild or mild to medium side. The Orlik version is definitely lighter and there is a bit more “hay” in this version, but the age of the Willis I smoked likely skewed the comparison. It isn’t overly complex and like most Virginias, it needs to be respected and appreciated with a slow cadence. I always smoke Capstan by folding the flakes and rubbing out a very small amount to get things going. Since others have commented on this verses FVF, my two cents is that Capstan is a much better smoke, not to mention far less wet. With additional age, I could easily see this as a four star smoke. As for the new Mac Baren, I have squirreled away a few tins, but I often get bit by Mac Baron blends, so I have yet to open Capstan’s newest incarnation as I am waiting for some age.

Purchased From: FF Pipes and Tobacco

Halbarad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Halbarad (3)

Great little tobacco. The flakes are very well packaged and come out of the tin ready to smoke. Has a light sweet smoke to it that reminds me of champagne. This blend must be smoked slowly to really let it shine, if you smoke it too quickly you will loose the beautiful delicate flavor.

Opening the tin presents nicely prepared flakes, typical of Mac Baren, with an ideal moisture content that are pliable for my fold and pack technique. Even with this method, the tobacco lit easily on the charring light and few relights were required. It smoked cool and sweet in all sized bowls without condensation and the taste was consistent throughout the bowl. I enjoyed the deeper, richer flavor of the darker VA's when compared to the Capstan Yellow although both are great smokes. Glad this one is available in the USA again.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)

This is the second of the new McBaren version in flake form. My first bowl was unrubbed and a little too strong for my taste. This time, I rubbed out a flake and found it a little milder and more flavorful. Also easier to keep lit. Vey cool smoking with a gentle sweetness throughout the bowl. Like the Gold Navy Cut, it is a delicious smoke. The added red Virginias provide more depth of flavor than in the Gold. I can see why this is the more popular of the two. McBaren has done an excellent job with these two flakes.

I have smoked this and the Capstan Gold Navy Cut. Presentation in the tin is similar. Moisture level is great and I did not dry. I smoked mine rubbed out - mostly in wider bowls.

This is a very high quality Virginia Flake. Strength and flavor are slightly higher than Gold Navy Cut. I claim this has no topping. There is a full and slightly sweet Virginia flavor with grassy and earthy notes. It was easy to keep lit, and it smoked cool for me.

As a value, this is very expensive per ounce, but it is in stock and easy to find. I would consider it very close to Full Virginia Flake at a similar price. FVF might have a slightly fuller taste. As a smoke for me to have in inventory, this is a 3. I like it more than Gold Navy Flake, but this still does not rise to a 4. It is almost there.

xox51 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
xox51 (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I saw SP's sales ranking, see its noble price, since that is very good. Bought a taste, unfortunately, there is smoke ridge!!! Even as PS luxury sections of these cheap chips will not happen.

Taste, delicate, mellow, the price is generally.

Pipe Used: all

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (15)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Simply the best,when it comes to a straight virginia! Never find out what kind of flavour used here, but it works amazingly. Perfekt in the nic-department also. A nice semi sweet and never biting cool smoke. I review a new tin and i am not sure who is the blender right now. 2 years ago it was made by orlik but i have heard it is made by mac baren now. Are all orliks made by mac baren now? Doesn t mind. Highly recommended

Pipe Used: captain black bulldog

Purchased From: Pfeifen Timm Hamburg/ Germany

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

This is really a great tobacco, I really love it since I open it for the first time. A little bit smell of citrus and a pleasant virginia really attractive me, also the view of the yellow golden flake is so beautiful.

To pack it, I just need to roll it slightly and then tamp it slowly. Is a very correct size to my Peterson full bent billiard so I don't need to rub it again. The 1st smoke is please me a lot, very sweet with a little bit citrus or fruity scent. The smoke is great, but at beginning, I'm enjoying a sweet smooth taste and without too much strength, this is makes the journey not too fast and boring.

After relight it, the fruity scent is getting little bit stronger. The strength is increasing but not too strong so it makes a very comfort smoke. Just a little bit kick but not make my head getting dizzy too much. Just a slow kick to give this blend an extra taste

I really enjoy this journey from the beginning till the end. Just a sweet pleasant smoke that's makes me always to smoke it again. This blend is very great, almost without any bite at my tongue so without doubt, I highly recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 163 Facet

Age When Smoked: 1 year

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)

This might be the tastiest, most bite-free Virginia flake that I ever smoked. This is the new version made by MacBaren, and I like it a lot. More fruit-sweet than honey-sweet, this flake also burns well for effortless enjoyment.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Pipe Used: Radice Twin Bore Dublin

Purchased From: JR Cigars - Southfield, Mich

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

A mediocre tobacco based on a widespread British blend of yore. Acidic, acrid and a wee bit green. Apart from the attraction of the long-established and historic name, I cannot think why this has been hyped up to the heavens. There are far too many straight Vas out there of greater superiority to be wasting your time on this pocket full of nostalgia.

Pipe Beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Beard (8)

Simply put, I do not go through tins of any other blend faster

Here are some additional words to hit the 25 word minimum :)

p.s. This is what Tolkien smoked

Steve Lewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve Lewis (5)

Middle of the road Virginia that is very enjoyable smoke. Nothing exciting but that's OK. One of my favorite Virginia blends is Dan Tobaccos Hamborger Veermaster which I would put in the same class with Capstan Blue. An easy to smoke consistent very pleasant Virginia with a sweet to semi-full smoke with a very nice room note. Occasionally I am asked what would be a good Virginia flake, as an introduction, and I usually direct them to Capstan Blue Flake.

Similar Blends: Dan Tobacco - Hamborger Veermaster.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (21)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my first "full Virginia flake" style tobacco. I will admit that I bought this mainly as a Tolkien fan (don't judge). Having no prior experience with this style of tobacco, I waited till I smoked it 10-12 times and even mixed it with some left over Escudo at one point just to really try and get a good hold of what I had. Let me say first off, that I love the smell of this directly from the bowl, but if you walk up on someone smoking it, you think... Marlboro light! And consequently, that's the impression after you smoke it as well, in your clothes, hair, and aftertaste. After all though, remember that we are smoking... tobacco. I personally just find that one aspect rather unfortunate. Now on with the nuts and bolts; It is sweet. Naturally sweet, which is different if you are coming from syrup laden aromatics or relatively low sugar content heavy Lat blends. I catch the fig/prune taste others have described and also the hay/straw taste as well. It is not a complex smoke like so many English blends, but rather a... meat and potatoes blend? I find packing these works best completely rubbed out using the air pocket method(personal preference). lights well, good moisture level, but you don't want to fight with VAs to keep them lit, they'll bite. I just let mine go out and re-light if necessary, and practically keep it on the edge of going out most of the time, slowly sipping. I might buy this again, but for now I shall continue trying other VA flake blends just to see what's out there.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

a very nice sraight VA blend that does very well as a everyday smoke! subtile hints of figs, hay and some slightly sweet flavours i cant define.

This is a little stronger, less sweet, and less cased than its brother in the gold tin. Slight citrus, fig, and a little grass/hay and earthy taste with a nice mild to medium Virginia flavor. It's not a very complex blend, though there are a couple of different Virginias in the mix. It's the kind of Va. flake that does well as an all day smoke. If you want something a little stronger and less sweet than Capstan Gold, or a straight Virginia that's less stronger than Gawith Full Virginia Flake, this will give you what you want. A very comfortable smoke to pack and light with enough nicotine to get your attention without overwhelming your senses.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very enjoyable light Va flake. Toasted wheat bread notes with extremely vague but present whispers of honey. This is lighter fare than even MVF. It's a great warm weather smoke, and when your palate is on it's flat out delicious. Not a stockpile flake for me, but I will grab 15 or so tins to see what develops. Not a firm favorite, but a pleasing new to me blend.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This review is for the Capstan that was recently reintroduced to the U.S. market and is made by Mac Baren. Beautiful stacks of precisely cut flakes greet the eye immediately denoting a MacB product.

The flake is medium dark in color with more of a fig and prune aroma dominant and less hay forward. This is good for me as I prefer less of a hay smell. From the first light this tobacco had good flavor, no hard puffing was required to get taste. It packed great using the simple fold and twist method and burned very well. Perhaps there is a slight casing but it's subtle. It's also light to medium in nicotine (IMHO) which is a plus for me.

This was a very enjoyable smoke and surprising since most "Navy Flakes" don't work for me. My only knock on it is the price and I do feel bad citing that given what my fellow pipers around the globe must pay for tobacco, but...

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This flake does not fairly compare to full Navy Capstan of old, which was no doubt a light white burley and mainly Virginia mixed flake, with a hit of vanilla or almond or something else very light to give it just a little swetness. i would not look here for its twin, but....

However, this is a great, rich blend which to me stands out due to its burley fullness, indeed with a good base of Virginia in the flake. Tasty and cool.

Sort of half-way between SG's Full Virginia Flake and Solani's Aged Burley Flake. Natural tasting even if cased a bit.

Highly recommended to somone wanting a rich, no nonsense flake, but without the heavy hit (I hope) of something like Irish Flake (which I crave at times).

I also smoked a tin of the ready rubbed version. The Virginia clearly stands out more in this version. More of a bright and haylight smoke, still with some extra body but not as complex as Hal of the Wind. I liked the flake version better.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (83)

I waited awhile to review this fine flake, smoking it in various pipes and with various prep methods. And I'm still struggling to articulate the flavor profile of this outstanding blend. While some have described this as a sweet Virginia, I must agree with several previous reviewers that there is a spiciness to this blend. Not peppery but rather salty. There is, however, the most delightful, subtle, natural Virginia sweetness that asserts shortly after the charring light and remains present throughout the bowl. It's enveloped by a more classically robust Virginia flavor that frames the sweeter notes. Then there's that saltiness- could there be some high quality burley in this blend? Regardless, the sweetness and the saltiness intermingle in an almost magical way.

I enjoy a number of Virginia flakes and ribbons and can honestly say this one stands out as unique in the field. An outstanding blend. All of the classic VA flake presentation, visually and in tin note. Benefits from some drying time (I like 45 min to an hour, but I'm in a damp climate). But otherwise takes a match well and requires little prep or maintanance (unlike another popular VA flake). That mellow spiciness might just make this the VaPer lovers favorite straight VA flake.

This one has world class aging potential written all over it from the first puff.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

...a very nice tobacco indeed...in both flake and RR form, this and its (yellow)brother are examples of what a re-issue should be... Since I smoked the original (Imperial) back in the 1960's-80's, it has been a pleasant surprise to experience again this first rate tobacco.

I still have several tins of the original and have made some comparisons and find the new Orlik version quite suitable. Perhaps a nuance here and there that would separate the new vs old but frankly, almost "dead-on" in my book.

I enjoy straight Virginia, especially one that is not overly complex. This is a great down to earth smoke, with a taste and aroma that I'd put near the top of the scale. A must try for those who like a straight Virginia or for those who are open to experimenting with straight tobaccos.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Capstan Blue Ready Rubbed

Appearance - beautiful golden strands marbled with light brown

Tin Scent - slight figgy tones with a hint of grassy classic VA Fragrance

Texture - very well rubbed up, soft and very slightly moist

Packs very well, lights fairly easy

I knew that when I would smoke this that it was going to be very basic straightforward tobacco flavor. That's exactly what it was, very smooth, light and tasty. Everything a classic Virginia blend should be. No fake flavors, just an undying promise to deliver. This is like FVF, but nowhere near as fussy. I hate comparing tobaccos but in this case it fits. Except Capstan is better. I would bet a fair amount that if you rushed this, it would bite.

It is strange to smoke one bowl and instantly add it to your rotation, but it is perfect.

EDIT: I have already had to purchase another tin, which arrived on 9/10

I've been smoking the new Mac Baren incarnation of this classic; the flake in the blue tin is what I'm speaking of. Upon opening the tin you are greeted with a predominantly darker brown flake with some speckles of lighter leaf present. The tin aroma is one of prunes and figs with a moderately sweet note. Loading with the fold and stuff method and lighting were a breeze. The taste is very raisiny with little if any Virginia hay/grass present. There is a spice to this one especially when allowing the smoke to enter the back of the throat and come up the nasal passages - not over the top, but present. The smoking experience reminded me of a milder, but slightly fuller in body, Dunhill Flake (one of my favorites). No matter what my smoking cadence, I could not get this to smoke hot nor bite. This was certainly one fulfilling Virginia smoke and I can see why many have raved about it. I have yet to try the yellow-tinned flake yet, but will do so after I smoke more of the blue.

I've tried many Virginias over the years and my biggest complaints were that they were either too grassy/hay-like in taste or they had very little taste and body. The blue Capstan Flake seems to me the near perfect - if not the perfect - Virginia flake. For those who like Virginias, this will not disappoint. All the trouble spent with Sam Gawith's offerings were truly a waste of my time when compared to Capstan Original Navy Cut Flake! As a predominantly Burley smoker, I can smoke this every day and be happy. Truly a 5 star, and stellar, smoke that rates a highly recommended from me.

mimefrog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mimefrog (5)

This is a review of the 2013 USA reissue of the "Original Navy Cut" flake purchased in June 2013. I cannot compare it to any of the earlier versions because I never smoked them.

VA flakes such as SG FVF have become my personal favorite smokes and Capstan Blue really delivers. I've worked my way through a full tin and I'm ready to say this is in my top 5. The tin note is the first hint that this is going to be great. It has a molasses smell that makes me drool. I find it wet enough out of the tin that the flakes should be dried before smoking. Otherwise it produced a far too wet smoke that reduced the flavor and enjoyment of this wonderful tobacco.

I have smoked it both folded/stuffed and rubbed out and I tend to prefer it rubbed. When properly prepared, it produces a sweet straightforward smoke characteristic of a pure VA but with a fair amount of nuance in the flavors. I taste a creaminess as well as a certain saltiness. Its never bitten me but I take VAs sort of slow and let it go out a few times per bowl. Retrohaling its thick, voluminous clouds brings a fine tickle to the sinuses but definitely doesn't make my eyes water. I'd say it tastes almost caramelized beyond the halfway mark and I look forward to reaching it, even though the first half is divine!

Patte Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patte (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the same tobacco as Capstan Medium Navy Cut.

A straight forward medium Virginia that has become my staple pipe tobacco. Not a complex smoke, but with a wonderful Virginia taste and some spiciness that tickles my nose.

Capstan has been made by Orlik for many years now, but something has changed. Last year they started using new tins with less then good seals, so once opened the tobacco dries out faster than before. And now it seems that Capstan has been discontinued by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group, and replaced by My Own Blend (in Sweden called "Blå Cap", and perhaps "Blue Cap" on other markets?). I haven't tried the My Own Blend version yet.

This is probably the closest that I have come to a replacement for Dunhill Flake. But since I need to have it imported this saves me nothing. The taste is very close. Great natural virginia sweetness with a good nic content. Burns nice. I bought this while visiting the Danish Pipe shop in Copenhagen. Just in case anyone in the states is curious, they do import and they are a great shop.

I may or may not buy more, but since Dunhill Flake can be had so easily here, I likely won't.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

If you want V at his (almost) best this is the one for you. Not very enjoyable for nonsmoking ppl around. Highly recomended...

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)

The bigger brother of Gold Navy Cut. Nice meaty, fruit smelling flakes that produce a beautiful blue smoke upon lighting. The taste is pure Virginia Flake tobacco, slow burning and full bodied. The topping is negligible and shows up once in a while as an extremely mild fruit note, not even worth mentioning in the overall smoking experience. A Virginia Flake lover ambrosia that is impossible to find here in Canada.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

And another package from DanPipe hit my doorstep a couple of weeks ago. I had so far only tasted the Gold Navy Cut by Capstan, so this time I had ordered a tin of the Original.

The 'baccy comes in a very small tin that I normally associate with the more extremely pressed flakes like University or Irish Flake; inside there are actually layers of fold-and-twist slices that are fully the width of the tin, stacked horizontally. And folding/twisting works just fine straight from the tin.

The tin note is of good VA varieties -- some grassiness, some mature VA notes, and a spicy/sour topping that I cannot quite define; it is remeniscent of MacBaren's HH Aged VA, but far less obtrusive. Goes well with the leaf, though.

Lighting and maintenance are easy; a no-brainer for the VA flake smoker. The strength is pretty much even throughout the smoke, the room note typical VA with a bit of added spice (from the topping, no doubt), and the taste has enough variations over time to keep it interesting. As with all VAs, sip slowly and you shall enjoy.

Out of the large selection of pure VA flakes available, I count this among the top 10%; solidly recommended for the VA fan.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A good, clean, straight-ish, mild, pale Va flake with minimal topping in a handy little tin. Doesn't set my pants on fire but a reliable standby to have at hand epecially in hot weather when I just want a smoke.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Does not work for me. Maybe because of the Kentucky

2 stars because of the very practical tin that i now use for other tobaccoes

Update july 2011 Tin open for 6 months, and smoking this outside, it has wormed it't way into my favourite list.

Better, more consistent review to come after the summer

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)

A generous PSF forum member and friend supplied me with this in a trade. Masochist that I am, I couldn't resist a chance to try a blend that is all but impossible to source here in the colonies. My thanks to him for the chance to grumble yet again.

This is Irish Flake lite. There are differences(sweeter, possibly more of a topping, less oomph), but this is my take. To be sure, I find this to be a good thing...a blend that reminds me of one of my favorites, but doesn't kick like a mule with a grudge.

If it were easily procured, this would be a welcomed addition to my rotation, one that I think I could even smoke exclusively, heavens forbid. It cannot replace IF, but as a milder, less in your face rendition(again, my take), I should imagine it would get more than its fair shares worth of burn time.

0 stars for availability, 8 stars for my endorsement equals...

4 stars. (Funny how that math worked out.)

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

I really like this one, it is a new tobacco for me since I've moved to Spain. It has taken me some time in my pipe smoking journey to get to the place where I can appreciate blends like this. These type of blends require the highest degree of attention and take the "art of pipe smoking" to it's highest heights. This tobacco is not for those who just want to light and go, very different from your american aromatics or your english blends with latakia. You don't want to go to town puffing on this one, no it requires a slow sipping technique, but once you get that down it opens up a whole new world of flavor in pipe smoking, and I feel like blends like this with their light sultry sweetness and their temperamental bite teach you to relax and take your time with the pipe, which is what it's all about. I love to lightly rub this one out or fold it and pack it loosely and just sip away, a slow smolder, lots of relights, but keeping this one on the edge of going out will keep you in heaven!

jynssen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jynssen (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I have been smoking pipe for more than 40 years.....started up with Macbaren....mixture...dark twist.....virginia.....after many years trying i started with Capstan......and have been smoking that in 25 years now......its the most complete tobacco for everyday smoking.. sometime i try ...just for fun another brand.......but very quick i am back on the Blue Capstan....there is two bad things i think....first.....its not good to light up the pipe again after it is cold......and second.....and the worst,,,,now they changed the tincan......and its so bad that the tobacco drys out very quick...its not sealed ok.....i smoke 3 - 4 cans a week......and after new can i am so tired of this....but the tobacco is still the best i ever smoked.....but like all navy cuts/flakes......dont rush...take the time to smoulder proper....then its like heaven...

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A classic tobacco I had ever tasted. Better late than never... I kept it closed in my “cellar” for about a year. So, I tried a quite matured Virginia flake tobacco, rich and sweet flavor, with perfect humidity that causes no tongue bite, with moderate nicotine power. I am under the impression that it has a very light fruit flavor, which makes it even more pleasant to smoke. Even towards the end of the bowl has no roughness, and leaves a very white ash. The aroma is not at all annoying. Fills easily the bowl, but be careful not to over-fill it because the flakes can expand and stuff the pipe. Lights and stays light easily. Ii left with the same positive impression as the Orlik Golden Slides.

cranziron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cranziron (9)

This is a wonderful Virginia flake tobacco. A long, smooth, cool burning smoke that, in my opinion, is as good as Gawith Full Virginia Flake. A bit milder perhaps, but still very very good. Fully rubbed out I didn't get anywhere near a bite and the taste was consistent to the bottom of the bowl. An earlier reviewer felt FVF was more sophisticated, but my experience is just the opposite. As I mentioned before, FVF is fuller, but it was a bit harsher with my experience. I don't think any U.S. retailer stocks this but it can be gotten through tobaccoonline.co.uk and Dan Tobacco, Germany, but shipping makes it pretty expensive. I like this a lot-- 4 stars!

baldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
baldo (1)

It is and it has been soince a long while one of my favourite flakes, a very good Dark Virginia one with good complexity, depth and a smoky notes comparable to the one you can taste in some Islay Scotch whisky. A good alter ego to SG FVF in my rotation.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

I am so confused by all the variants on the site for Capstan, but needless to say that this is a most pleasant, smooth flake with a depth of taste far far superior to it's yellow tinned brother Capstan Gold...I'd go so far as to say just buy this and don't bother with the Gold. This I understand was Tolkein's favourite flake and it's easy to see why: even in brand new tins the flakes have a maturity and a meltingly gentle smoke. If you store them for a few years you get an extra depth of wine like fruitiness. I've been lucky to smoke very old tins of this as well as new tins and I can unhesitatingly recommend it.

The main difference between Capstan "Medium" (or Original) and "Mild" (or Gold) is not the strength, as the name suggests, but the type of Virginias: while Capstan Mild is mostly (if not all) lemon leaf, Capstan Medium is a mix of lemon and red Virginias, the former being dominant. That gives Medium a bit more depth, more sweetness and less tang. It is a bit stronger, but other than that they're both quite similar. It won't replace FVF or HoTW in my regular rotation, but the quality tobaccos used here make are enough to give it 3/4.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

A delightfull flake tobacco a friend in EU included as a surprise. If it were available in the states I'd buy it by the case.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I was wondering if these flakes were the unrubbed version of the Capstan's Ready Rubbed pouch. No, they are not the same tobacco. These flakes packs and lights very easily. Offers a cool, delicious and long lasting smoke.

A nice choice for Va flake lovers for their daily smokes. I personally will have this little tin on my shelf regularly.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite long time from my last encounter with Capstan Medium (now Capstan Original) Navy cut. This is now happening since my nearest local tobacconist was displaying the last tin, I thought it was chance to grab it and review.

I don't detect any heavy changes between the older version (Imperial) and the current (Orlik) , thus CMNC remains one of my favourite classic flakes to keep in stable rotation. A true example of plain and uncomplicated medium Va, with the most discrete top dressing. Easy lighting and burning, cool and refreshing smoke.

And I do agree with Noorrmm's review back in 2002 in saying that it's a rewarding smoke both casually or contemplatively.

What keeps me from rating 4* is that it starts “really” too plain, the true game starting from the second third.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Original N.C. is exactly identical to the old Medium N.C., the name was changed to regulatory questions about the use of words such as: "Mild" or "Medium" for tobacco. For me confirm what I wrote in my review of Medium N.C. Whatever name it has I love it. I agree with both previous reviewers, who seem to have similar taste to my not only about this tobacco. The comparison proposed by Pseudo Nim between FVF and ONC is really interesting and witty.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

A beautiful, wonderful tobacco, one of my favourites. On opening the tin, one is presented with 2 x 3 inch flakes which are easily seperated, ranging in colours from lemon yellow to dark chestnut. I tend to lay mine out on a sheet of newspaper for 24 hours as their is a light topping (fruity ?) which soon dissipates and I am left with a superb virginia.

I tend to rub out my flakes, which means I have difficulty in packing a full flake into a Group 4, fold and stuff would be recommended for those who do not like to rub out.

So with two thirds of a flake in a Group 4 or a half flake in a Peterson No6, a single match and I'm greeted with a naturally sweet virginia, the topping is gone in the first quarter and a good honest tobacco is left, smoked slowly, this will not bite.

Smooth and sweet, with more body than FVF but perhaps a little more coarse. If FVF is for the Gentleman, Capstan is more for the outdoors type of man.

An excellent day time or evening smoke, now although I do not detect a range of notes, this is not a monochromatic tobacco by any means, it builds slowly in taste and flavour without becoming overpowering. A good nicotene content that is not agressive.

Burns down to a fine grey ash, I would place this in the Freibourg & Treyer's stable of cut plugs and virginia's

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

tobacco Smell: Raisins, fruity sweet, sweet plums...all natural aroma-like very similar to ThreeNuns but sweeter and fruitier

appearance in tin: larger flakes neatly arranged on top of each other. more dark and some light stripes

Perfect moisture. Smoke is cool and smooth as silk. Just delightful. Little nuances of fruitiness, sweetness. Pure Freshness. This one beats MacBarens Navy Flake by knock out.

Wonderful Navy Flake!