This excellent plug tobacco comprises selected Virginia leaf from Africa and Brazil blended with Burley leaf from Malawi. The tobaccos are lightly cased before drying and pressing and then are heated and stored for 2 weeks before cutting. The result is a full bodied yet fruity blend, sure to appeal to the experienced pipesmoker.

BrandPeterson
Strength
Taste

3.2
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

I have just completed my first bowl of the new Peterson's Perfect Plug and thought I'd offer my impressions to anyone who wants to read my blabber. When the tobacco first became available not long ago, I ordered four tins and recently popped the lid on one of them. Inside was a rock hard square brick of tobacco sealed in plastic. The color of the leaf was a mottled black/brown. I opened the plastic and took a whiff. I swear, the brick smelled exactly like Silly Putty (you know, the stuff that kids mess up the house with). The brick was somewhat easy to peel and after getting a couple of thin wafer like layers off of the mother ship I began hand breaking them up into small thin chunks (no easy task and quite time consuming). The leaf did contain some moisture content but not much. I loaded up the thin broken chunks into a favorite old briar and lit up... and lit up... and lit up... man, this tobacco is hard to keep lit.

The taste is very powerful Virginia/Burley with a bit of fruit like casing that was deep, dark and rich. The added flavoring, despite its depth (it never burned off), was not overpowering and never truly "sweet." I could tell this tobacco had been heavily stoved and pressed. Although somewhat similar in taste to G&H Dark Plug, this one is much more refined and didn't body slam my palate. It does carry a burst of nicotine from the start and the presentation of that wonderful drug is unrelenting throughout the bowl.

If you have some time on your hands (to prepare the leaf), and enjoy a deep and not too sweet Virginia/Burley that packs a nicotine punch, this may be a bell ringer. The amount of re-lights needed was annoying and I wish there was such a thing as a ready-rubbed version of this.

Stuffin McPipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuffin McPipey (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

It took a bit of learning with this one, but in the end this is so far the best tobacco I have experienced. First, the presentation in the tin was so wonderful, it looked like dessert. Once I unwrapped the little plug I was hit with fermenting plums and raisins. Basically it smelled exactly like I'd expect it to based on appearance. Next, shaving down the little slices with a fillet knife made me realize just how dense this plug is. The tobacco is literally packed so tight it felt like slicing through a block of cheddar cheese. I first tried it cubed, and for smoking purposes I recommend this method as it seems to make for a cooler and more lasting smoke than rubbing it out. However, I find rubbing it helps me gauge the moisture content more than cubing. So, maybe the answer is half and half. Either way, this stuff needs drying time in my opinion.

I pack it looser than I would say, Sherlock Holmes. The smoke is thick and creamy, like custard, and has no bite. The flavor is layered first by the nutty burley, then the sweetness grass flavor of quality Virginia.

I find that with this tobacco in particular, the pipe matters. I use the thinnest bowl I have: a 1910 peterson straight pipe. Since I like to smoke it cool (it burns cool to begin with), I can feel if it is getting too hot before it even happens; that's why I reach for the thinner walled pipe with this one.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

First encounter with a plug pipe tobacco. The processing in preparation is as enjoyable if not more enjoyable as the smoking thereof. Slices off of the plug require a sharp knife with even pressure to obtain a nice full flake. Over night in the plug can left this flake in perfect humidity for a smooth, cool and relaxing smoke. Report from the "war department" declare the aroma to be nice and tolerable.

Again, the process of getting to the smoke is therapeutic.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie 98B Squat Bulldog

Purchased From: Jade Tobacconist Regina Saskatchewan

grim961 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grim961 (1)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Please what ever you do, do not write this off. Smoked in the right way this is a simply wonderful tobacco that can be enjoyed by all. Yes, even begginers.

I've found that there are some rules to help though.

1, Storage. Once you buy a tin transfer to an airtight jar. For me this is an occasional smoke. Something I can go back to when I fancy a change. It wont make the rotation but its nice to come back to. When that moment comes cut a slice or two and prepare the bowl how you like. Experiment to find out what best suits.

2, Be mindful of the N kick. You may not realise it at first but trust me if you fill a large bowl and your not used to it, after 45 mins your head will be spinning. So a pipe with a small bowl is best to start off with. Either that or half fill the bowl until you can gauge the amount of tobacco to add.

3, Find your rhythm. If you try to puff your way through this it will bite you in the ass as well as the mouth. Best to sip or break up with a drink of tea, coffee or something to do like read.

4, Sit back and enjoy. I like nothing better than smoking while walking the dog but this tobacco is definitely a sitter. It will help to find that rhythm. And if your head does start to spin well your already sitting down.

5, And the most important Respect the tobacco. If you take your time to get to know this tobacco you will truly appreciate it. It may deter some because of the faff needed to prepare. But with everything in life the more you put in, the more you get out. And you'll find that your hard work does pay off.

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginia is a bit earthy with some grass notes, bolstered by the bold nutty, earthy, sweet burley. The fruit topping reminds me of dried fruit, citrus, and figs. There are cigar notes, too. You'll need to be patient as you prepare it for smoking, and however you decide to cut the plug, you'll need to give this some dry time before lighting a match to it. Take the time, work with it, and you'll be rewarded with a creamy, smooth, amazingly deep, unending flavor that will hook you into buying more. It's slow burning, requiring several relights, and there will be some moisture at the bottom of the bowl. Completely worth the all the time and trouble it takes to smoke, it may not be perfect as the title suggests, but it's not far away either.

runamuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
runamuck (5)

Plug looks just like the plug tobacco that "Jose Wale's" cuts a chaw off. Very dark a bit sticky and a deep rich depth of aroma that is followed through in its taste. No tongue bite, smooth cool smoke that anyone can enjoy. In my experience even aromatic only smokers enjoy this at least on occation. Keep it as a main stay or as a treat like a very nice bold burbon.

Medium Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

Peterson Perfect Plug . Delicious ! It has a splendid unlit aroma emanating from the unlit product , with a Raisin/Plum touch to it . Being a plug be prepared for a little extra time in filling the bowl , but it more than pays off ! The smoke has a really good Virginia and Burley taste to it being well balanced with a very slight Raisin note to it . Nicotine level is neither too much nor too little and can be inhaled with ease . It gives a beautiful room note that is very traditional and pleases all around . I am fairly new to plugs but this has ensured that I will have them more often !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (36)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This plug was a surprise to me.

Recently, I've exchanged tins of tobacco with a friend, and knowing his taste and Peterson tobacco, I didn't have any expectations. I couldn't be more wrong.

From the moment I opened the tin, I knew this would be a good thing. Smells good, the moisture was at perfect level, you could cut pieces, rub them and smoke 'em right away, and the taste is ... delicious. I loved it. Knowing that it's Burley, and I'm not a great fan of burleys, i was ready for a dull, metal - chemical note of a burley. A lot of tongue bite, a lot of artificial flavour.

Well, It's nothing like that. Everything about it is perfect. I enjoyed it in my car while driving, and immediately after that in my smoking dan in front of the computer with some tea. Boy, that was good. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a tobacco so much.

Highly recommend it!

Age When Smoked: 1 year

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (24)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

In a word, sublime. Not complex, but full and splendid. Coming from cigars, I've only been piping a few months, but THIS stuff is wonderful. Course there are a lot of great tobaccos. I peel off individual leaves, then crumble them into the bowl. I enjoy the ritual/ordeal. Still on my first tin, 6 more arrived today. I hope to NEVER run out of this fine smoke. I did stove one tin to experiment.

Revisiting the stoved tin after 5 weeks (220F for 2 hours 20 minutes (remove plastic before cooking)), I'm finding it sweeter, fruiter & more complex. I've tried cutting flakes, then rubbing, dicing into tiny cubes, but I'm going back to peeling off the individual leaves, then crumbling. I think it's a surface area thing going on.

Stoved 7 more of these wonderful little bricks o' joy

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh.

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After all the good reviews, I had to try this one. While it is a decent smoke, I don't see what all the fuss is about. While I did smoke the entire tin, I doubt I will ever buy this one again.

First, like a lot of plugs, this one is mottled to dark in color and very solid and tightly packed. Kind of reminded me of a hockey puck. It had the fermented aroma of many pressed and plug tobaccos, with raison or prune like scent. I could tell it was an aromatic but the flavoring is very subtle and other than a fruit like aroma, I could not tell what it is. This plug is so solid that I experimented between shaving some off with a knife and pealing some single leaf of the top and tearing it into small pieces. Both were easy to pack in the bowl but took several lights to get it lit. This was true even after letting it dry for awhile. The flavor was rich and full, I could taste the sweetness of the VA's and the fullness of the burley, but the strange fruit taste kept coming through. While I did enjoy smoking it, but to enjoy it, it had to be smoked very slow, I would rather it not have had the flavor added to it. I think the Va's and burley would have stood alone and provided a better smoke. I do enjoy aromatics, but this one interfered with the good tobacco taste instead of enhancing it. It burned slowly down with a steely grey ash and required frequent relighting to keep it lit which I found irritating after awhile. I never once was able to smoke it all the way down as the bottom layer of tobacco gained a lot of moisture and would not stay lit. I feel this was the result of the flavoring agent. The room note to me was more like a cigar instead of fragrant pipe tobacco and while not unpleasant, it was not anything I or others enjoyed the scent of.

Some really like this tobacco, I just thought it rather single layered and nothing to get excited about. I would not say it is bad, but there are many more that I would recommend over it so I can only give it two stars.

Pipe Used: briar, cob, meer

Age When Smoked: 1-6 montha

Purchased From: pipesandcigars..com

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'd like to start this review with saying there is a learning curve to making this blend an easy smoke. It comes in quite a perfect plug that does stay very nice. I prefer to spend some time and make a ribbon cut little bit at a time.

The strength of this cut was more than I imagined it being. I would up liking it very much, but not quite your average aromatic.

The taste and flavor had me quite pleased as it was a fruity flavor and taste, but at the same time natural. The wife note was also quite pleasing as it was a pipe smell, but at the same time fruity and pleasing.

After you put some love into packing your bowl, you can achieve a long cool, enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bent Bulldog & Peterson System Bent

Purchased From: Local Shop (J & R Fielding Co.)

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Now we talk business! This is a cigar for the pipesmoker! Mature flavour, good strength and smooth taste. This is a man's tobacco. Pipe knife takes place again in the tools of the trade.. Thin flakes burn well with the soft flame of the wooden match.. A malt becomes your second best friend.. and nothing else matters...

Age When Smoked: 3 years old

Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I was sent a two bowl sample of this in the form of a very small rectangular cube. I sliced it in to very small flakes. About a half inch by a half inch and sliced the first few small flakes into cubes as the flakes would not easily rub out. I crammed them into a bowl in a rush out the door to work and had a very hard time lighting it. Once I got it going it went fine, but I found it rather boring as it got to the bottom of the small bowl.

The next bowl I did entirely different. I rubbed out the small flakes the night before and packed my Savinelli Trevi 320ks the night before smoking it so it would adequately dry. What a difference this made. The next day when I lit up it did so easily and I was immediately engrossed in a rich smoke pungent with dark fired Kentucky. Truth be told, I had a hard time finishing the bowl as I was feeling the effects of too much nicotine on an empty stomach.

The second time the bowl never got boring, but was just maybe a bit too strong for me. The person who sent this to me thought it may, perhaps, supplant Irish Flake as one of my favorites, but it did not do that. It did show me that Irish Flake was not the limit to how strong a Peterson blend could get.

And to the very strong blends, it is one of the tastier ones I have had. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes them strong and who can't get enough of Dark Fired Kentucky in their smoking diets. I may get a tin of this or two down the line to give it a fuller test, but for now I will leave it at three stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi 320ks

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (29)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This was my first shot at plug tobacco. The cutting takes some practice and a good knife. Something with some weight to it, so forget your pocket knife to start out with. I've smoked about half the plug so far, and I love this stuff. I believe it is a delicious, manly kinda smoke. Good with strong coffee or strong whisky.

The tin note is of tobacco, I haven't noticed the fruity flavor that has been described ny other reviewers on this site. It may be just sugar water, like the kind macbaren uses on some of its blends. The presentation is a little brick that kind of looks like a brownie. Has some color lining to it though, so you can see it has some different tobaccos in it.

The prep work is fun and takes some experimentation to get it right for you. I like it about the thickness of normal navy flake. I rub it out also, as my flakes rarely come off even enough to fold. You want to make sure that it is moist enough also. If it gets too dry, it will be very difficult to slice. I keep it in the same jar as my Irish oak, and it seems to do fine with no flavor blending.

It is very tasty, very full flavored and dark. It is earthy like soil and the woods after a good rain. The virginia come through with some sweetness here and there, which keeps it balanced a bit. Very savory kind of smoke when properly moist. It can smoke nice and cool, with very little bite. I find it may take a relight or two. It is pretty strong so I let it go out now and then during my smoke any way. It deepens in its dark characteristics when it's re tamped and lit again.

It is very strong as far as tobaccos go, so take it easy. It can make you need to sit down. I love it, but I would recommend this one with caution on merit of strength alone. Otherwise have at it if you have a good nicotine tolerance. I had noticed its classified as an aromatic on this site, and I'm not sure I agree. It does have a nice aroma to me, however I tend to rate aroma on the "wife" principle. It fails it that regard. Happy smoking.

Pipe Used: Peterson #606, Grabow lark group 1

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Orange tobacco and more, orange ct

Smokeybear86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeybear86 (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Note: This Plug not only resembles but also smells like sweet candied figs.

Initial Light: Lit well and evenly after 2-3 false lights had a hay-like taste at the beginning of the smoke.

Mid-Smoke: The smoke was really mild and easy to draw however not easy to keep lit as it had gone out 3 times on me. By the third time i decided to try some Delayed Gratification (DGT) and let it sit for 30min while I was having a meeting with John to Flush out Certain issues. Sadly upon my return i found that my meeting was more amusing then this smoke. Flavor just wasn't there i thought i tasted sweet Virginia for a min but i think insomnia was just kicking in from the boredom.

Bottom of the Bowl:Started to smoke a little wet, luckily i was using a pipe with a military mount and was able to remove the stem and blow out the juice. That solved the wetness issue but that same hay-like earthy taste was still there and showed no signs of leaving.

Room Note: After I came in from my meeting there was a sweet fruity smell from my pipe and it smelt rather good, however Im sure anything would smell good after that meeting (im sorry i had too).

Dottle: There was a clumpy like ash in the bowl not wet but clumpy as if not all the tobacco lit.

Smoking Duration: 1HR smoke time 30min DGT - This does not include the 30min i was struggling to cut this hefty block of tobacco into flakes and once again into cubes.

Overall: The tin note and the fact that it smoked smooth and mild while not leaving a bad taste in my mouth contributes to the score in a good way. However as good as it was to mindlessly smoke it, it was also mindlessly boring and didn't shock or impress me in any substantial way. With all the other choices out there i probably wont cellar this blend.

Recommendations:

Either buy a really sharp knife, cleaver or Nah at it like a chunk of dark chocolate. Because the prep is going to take your patience or your finger.

Pipe Used: Peterson Belge Cutty

Age When Smoked: 1 year

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (10)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Peterson's other 4 star, IF being the other.

I do love this stuff...both versions. I live in Australia where draconian anti smoking laws have basically driven out any manufacturer with any modicum of sense. Surprisingly, Peterson's persist, although I imagine it is through some wholesaler. So you can actually get Peterson's products - from around 5 or 6 stores in the country; but I also bring in some tins from overseas (4 nogs etc) and the plugs are a different size.

The one's I get from Australia are smaller, darker and denser. Both versions weigh in at 50g or thereabouts, so no one is shaving off profits or anything like that, but they are different. Saying that the smell and taste cannot be differentiated between the two versions. I actually sent an email to Peterson's asking whether they could explain the difference but never received a response. Like a marketing department could ever be bothered replying to a customer...as if.

I cannot praise this bac highly enough. OK, it can be a pain to shave it down, and the Aussie version (sic) is certainly a chore, it's like cutting through mulga; but what you receive in return is worth the effort.

The strength increases as you go down the bowl, but is never overwhelming. I can't detect any casing, and how this is rated as an aromatic is beyond me.

A pint of Guinness and thou...bliss :)

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A great classic virginia. Dark, spicy, yet sweet and smooth. The casing is very well done. This is one blend that will never bite. The casing adds a nice fig fruity note to the otherwise spicy, dark virginia blend. The only difficulty to this blend if finding the best way to break it down into a smokeable form. I would recommend getting a good sturdy, sharp knife and slicing it into thin, foldable flakes.

Mike0831 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike0831 (10)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

This is great tobacco. I think it's strong with a great room fragrance. I like the plug style because you have to do a little work for the reward. 2/1/14 - I bought another can I didn't notice before that the plug cube is wrapped in cellophane. Hmmm. That's a nice touch there. I've sliced it this time into very very thin slivers and smoked it in the same small bowled pipe. I really think this is great stuff. Can't say enough about it...,,

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo Delecta

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (113)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My mind has been turning to plugs recently, which I had yet to sample, and a little investigation led me to trying this one first. Amongst all the plugs on offer, which seem to be highly regarded amongst those who smoked it, this one seemed to be more consistently recommended so I plumped for a tin.

Opening the tin and looking up on the little block of tobacco was a little disconcerting at the size of it, I struggled to believe that 50g of tobacco could fit into it. Not paranoid or anything, I dug out my kitchen scales and stuck the plug on and was pleasantly surprised for it to come in at 60g, can't argue with that. The smell of it is a good heavy tobacco, perhaps with hints of plum and fig. I then got stuck in with a rarely used kitchen knife to shave off some, only thing is when I was warned I needed a sharp knife I didn't realise quite how sharp it needed to be. Nonetheless, one trip to the shop to pick up a sharpener later, I finally got stuck into a pipeful and initially found it very heavy going, this is a strong one in terms of nicotine so it's best to slow down the smoke if possible. the first few smokes were quite a struggle to be honest, it's not that I disliked it but struggled with the nic-hit. A couple of changes of pipes have also helped, two briars and an MM Legend later and I seem to prefer smoking this in a cob, that's just my personal experience though so feel free to ignore it. As the plug has gone down though, my appreciation and tolerance for this tobacco have gone up and there is now a nice flavour of figs and plums. The room note is not to bad either.

So there we go, my very first try of a plug and I'm impressed. It's definitely worth taking the time to smoke slowly and get to know. Here's to more plugs and more 3P's, I can't think of a more perfectly named tobacco.

Graydee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graydee (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok so my initial impression of this tobacco was that it was flavorless and and not so strong. That was a year ago! over the last year I have come back to this plug several times. As my taste buds matured the plug got better as far as taste goes. I quit smoking cigs about three months ago and put down my pipe for a month. After restarting the pipe I began to review all my tobaccos and man let me tell you that this plug is amazing. A little fruity but not as much as UniFlake and a lil spicy. It has a very full taste and lights well. If you are a cigarette smoker this blend isnt likely to do it for you because I believe cig smokers enjoy more pronounced flavors and struggle with complexity. If your first impression of this plug was not great just hold on to it and keep coming back to it.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)
Strong Very Mild Full Strong

Living in sunny, temperate climes, the adherence to the doctrine of copious caffeine and dependence on bull moose helpings of nicotine are foreign to me. N. Ireland, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England's northern counties existing in cold, cloud, mist, and interminable winter are just the places for the artificial consciousness induced by Nicot's lady.

Additionally, the culinary staples of shepherd pie, mutton stew, potato, and those offal delicacies sustain not only the necessary metabolic thermals for 59F highs in August, but build up the constitutional frame for shunt loads of vitamin N such residents seem capable of handling. Case in point: Peterson Perfect Plug or 3P.

If you live in Florida and sip Mojitos as you lunch on conch and field greens, you are barking up the wrong coconut palm. Instead, go for the plate of boliche, congri and crusty pan Cubano, because you will need to be an immovable object against the coming unstoppable force of 3P. Otherwise, the onset of sweats and vomiting with the resulting loss of fluids and electrolytes could mean that 3P will be the last thing you ever smoke. Before death ensues, 3P will ease you into a sleep so soft and sudden that propofol seems like a sledgehammer to the cerebral cortex.

Pressed and aged in Guy Fox's gunpowder barrels and an aftertaste reminiscent of a choleric's grave dust are just two of the flavor highlights awaiting you with 3P. There is also the piquancy on the palate akin to a sting from the box jellyfish. Not all of the most deadly things come from Australia.

In flake form, 3P burns like concrete pier pillars, but in all truthful disclosure, 3P is as cool as the same. Sliced thin and rubbed up thoroughly provided the best performance, flavor intensity, and smoke density. Small pipe chambers recommended for those with intact nervous systems.

While the handsome, dark brown plug looks more potent, its sister, Irish Flake, is stronger and more flavorful, as are SG 1792 Flake and G&H Dark Flake. Irish Flake is less potent than G&H or SG ropes and twists, the latter being stronger than SG 1792 Flake and G&H Dark Flake. Therefore gauge your qualifications to smoke 3P accordingly. 3P seems stronger than University Flake, Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky and equal to G&H Birdseye. Haddo's Delight and Escudo will seem “light and playful” after a romp with 3P. How 3P compares to Jack Knife Plug remains to me unknown, for now (Edit: 3P is stronger than JKP).

I also don't know if the Irish, Scottish, Welsh and English pipe men can really handle this devil's confection or if its is just a leg pull on the rest of us. Whatever is the case, 3P will tease your innards and gizzards enough. Sure, you might be a hurling champion of the world, but see if you can survive 3P before you beat your breast. If not, you might be in a whole other bout of hurling.

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (14)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Err, wow!

Maybe everything just came together, but my first bowl of PPP put me in a place that I am sorry I have now left. This was, for me, otherworldy.

Warm, rich, full, round-- like a lamb stew when it is a cold November in your soul. It was so good that I am sorely tempted to stop smoking and leave it at that.

I am a very, very happy man right now.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This chunk of petrified fudge brownie is a thing of beauty: deep, dark and rich, and one of my favorite Virginia-based blends. Even the initial tin note tickled out a sneeze. I knew it was going to be good . . .

This one is stoved and pressed into a dense and robust smoke, which to me is more cigar-like than any other pipe tobacco I've had -- although it doesn't taste anything like a cigar. It has the mouthfeel of a ligero-leaf stogie and the corresponding nic hit, but is decidedly more restrained and pleasant on the palate. It's not too sweet but has a nice topping that to me is more licorice/anise than fruit. Whatever it is, it is essential and adds interest to the core tobaccos without getting in the way. It has a very subtle spiciness that peeks in now and again without being overpowering.

If you're looking for a meaty and full-bodied smoke, something warm and round . . . along the lines of what you would expect from one of SG's more stout flakes . . . then this is the ticket. Shave off a small bowlful for yourself and enjoy!

Highly recommended for the experienced piper.

BSchaeffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BSchaeffer (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

3P represents is an interesting change and evolution to my smoking regimen. It's now not just about the smoke but the rituals that surround it. I thought cutting the plug and drying it out might be a mild annoyance but would be worth enduring for the smoke. However, it's now a delightful part of the mystique of this tobacco. Like someone taking the time and effort to cook a robust and delicious meal, carving and processing the plug heightens the expectation.

However, does 3P deliver? Yes, it does. It provides a cool and rich smoke if you don't puff away at it too hard, but even if you do, it's forgiving. The tin odour is sweet and fruity and it is echoed in the actual smoking of this fine tobacco. I really like the gentle sweetness during the smoke However, for best results let it dry for at least 15 minutes for the plug is dense and a little moist. All in all, a very desirable tobacco.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was suprised at how small the block was when I first opened the tin but once sliced and rubbed this tobacco expands nicely to fill your bowl.

A simple, bite free, no nonsense tobacco. The fruitiness here is more green than most; apples, kiwi, star fruit etc. Which is kind of interesting...kind of.

It just gets a little monochromatic and repetative after a while. There's better plugs about.

sagepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagepipe (9)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Has a foul aftertaste like that of common house blends found in most pipe and cigar corner stores. This is my first plug tobacco and a fun experience up until the aftertaste.

CoffeeManD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoffeeManD (2)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First attempt at a plug, and was pleasantly surprised. After reading the other reviews, I was bracing for a solid bout of having my head buried in the toilet bowl from the nicotine blast (after a nasty first experience with the burley-rich Royal Yacht on an empty stomach, I've learned to respect the N!), but my fears were soon alleviated after the first bowl.

Don't get me wrong, you WILL feel it, but if you've built up any sort of tolerance and, more importantly, take it slow and easy, you will be rewarded with the noticeable euphoric relaxation of a proper nic buzz.

The tin presentation is as others have noted: a dense block of dark brown, pressed tobacco sealed in plastic, nicely centered in a paper wrapping. Upon opening the plastic, I was met with a subdued aroma of tobacco (the dried figs and raisins, but not as sickly sweet as most) along with a very faint odor of fermentation, somewhat akin to a cigar, all brought together by what smelled to me like semisweet chocolate.

The preparation is fun, and what I was most looking forward to with my first plug. Yes, an adequately sharp blade is required if you choose to slice or cube this very densely packed block, as I did. Lacking that, I suppose you could defoliate the individual layers and tear then into strips with good result.

There is some moisture, but not too much as to seriously hinder lighting (I smoked this fresh, but would like to save some to age and see how that changes the experience). Now, keeping your bowl lit is another matter, as I had quite a lot of difficulty with that, but I attribute it to my inexperience with preparation and likely made the cubes too large. I imagine, as another reviewer mentioned, that slightly breaking up the cubes and mixing in more broken-up flakes as a sort of kindling would alleviate most of the issue.

The taste was at first monochromatic, like a straight Virginia, but darker and less sweet (again, semisweet chocolate comes to mind), but soon developed a richness and body that proved very satisfying, and a bit unlike anything I've tried before. I enjoyed this! I also noticed an aftertaste like green tea which was very nice.

After about 1/3 of the bowl, I noticed the mild sensation of my head swimming, and realized this was definitely an after-meal, sitting-down smoke. It is far from overpowering, but lightweights take heed! It sneaks up on you in this blend as opposed to hitting you over the head and being at the forefront like some others. It reminded me of drinking a Long Island Iced Tea, or more appropriately, a well-made, strong stout. You won't notice the kick until it's too late, if you don't respect the concoction and sip slowly!

Altogether very satisfying! I only knocked off a star on my recommendation rating due to the fact that the prep time and strength might put the impatient, new smoker off.

Pipe Used: Peterson Captain Pete xl21, Eriksen keystone

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (52)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Very Full Pleasant

This plug is lightly flavored, with natural fruity essences. The tobacco is very strong with a high nicotine content. A real shot, a punch in the stomach. The smell is fruity, the taste is very good, particular. This plug is not for beginners, but only for experienced smokers. Anyway a real great tobacco, to enjoy after dinner, on a full stomach. In the tradition of Peterson. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is more than 8 and three stars

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The plug is moderately difficult to cut up, and I would imagine difficult to rub out (I really don't rub out plugs or flakes). Not too difficult to light and easy to keep lit. While there may be a hint of dark fruit, it's barely there; what is present is lots of good if somewhat monochromatic dark tobacco. The taste is very full, and may give the illusion that the N is a bit stronger than it actually is.

Pipe Used: briars and a cob

Purchased From: jr cigars

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a small sample of this from smoke-king. Mine was cut into beef jerky-like slices and not familiar with preparing plug using a knife, took to it with my bare hands and tore it asunder.

I won't go into detail here... I smoked it and it didn't have a big taste to it... just tasted 'nice'... I smoked some more to place the flavour, and some more and some more. Before I knew it I had finished the bowl.

It is not complex but made me want more of it. Charring took ages but was almost fun to get this stubborn bugger to light properly. I found that normal sipping gave off a little amount of smoke and flavour, very nice to tide you over, but then when I wanted a fuller hit I just relighted and then the tobacco hits you in the face.

The coolest smoke ever. No bite whatsoever. It is a bit cigary in the best way. Still feel I can't place the taste, or that it doesn't have much taste and I'm hoping it eludes me for a long time to come because I'm definitely buying more!!!

Update. I bought some more, and have since come to the conclusion that this is just boring for me. It is a cool smoke but there is nothing in it that particularly makes me want to smoke more.

Pipe Used: Orlik 3/4

Purchased From: smoke-king

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (33)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

My first try of this and I'm not sure how to rate it. The smells and taste I got was that of dried fruit, citrus, raison and figs. The plug was a rich dark colour of tobacco.

OK let me sum it up: as for a Latakia fan, not my favourite but not too bad. Seeing that there is sooooo many other 4 stars, I probably would not buy this again.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)

Excellent blending delivers a very good smoking experience. A nutty sweet natural flavor is delivered, with a natural-tasting hint of fruit/citrus. Smokes well through the bowl. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I must have gotten a tin with the seal broken. The plug was as hard as a brick. Shaved some off and smoked it anyway. It was pretty darn good considering. Trying to re-hydrate the rest. I'll update afterwards.

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (15)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the second plug I've tried, the first being Revor, which I love with four stars. 3P is a fine smoke for me, too, and I think am getting a taste for this form of tobacco. I don't mind the prep time, it adds interest. 3P is a different beast to Revor; it's denser, and can be shaved very fine for rubbing out. Needs drying for best results. Flavour-wise it differs from Revor as well, which I guess is the Burley in 3P. Very well-behaved, stays lit and smokes cool. About as strong as Revor. A lovely smoke, & it's hard to say which I prefer of these 2 plugs. Another four stars.

samantabhadra411 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samantabhadra411 (6)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A great Virginia blend, That is all it is, Virgina. If you like Virginia you'll love this. If you don't you'll either hate it or find it boring. No flavoring on it, Virginia is naturally sweet. Plenty of Nicotine, very flavorful despite its lack of complexity. Good.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (18)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Phenomenal Tobacco! I had nearly finished a full review when Internet Explorer crashed - Doh!!! I am using Firefox as I write this second review and hopefully won't have the same problem. I am going to write reviews in MS Word and cut and paste from now on. This review will be short because I do not have the patience to write it all up again.

To properly prepare and enjoy PPP, you need a sharp knife, some patience and a full belly. The burley is up front and the virginias are more in the background. These are high quality tobaccos. The virginias do not have that awful ketchup flavor that I loathe. I wouldn't put ketchup on something that I was going to eat if somebody was going to pay me, and quite frankly hate to be around the smell of it when somebody ruins their meat or fries by using this worst-of-all-condiments.

The tobacco stays lit when packed properly in a quality briar. It does not need much drying. Sit back, relax and enjoy a bowl if you are an experienced smoker who enjoys the taste of quality tobacco and can handle a nice dose of nicotine.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually smoke flaked tobacco exclusively. I have tried krumble kake (C&D Briar Fox, quite tasty), but Peterson's Plug is my first experience with plug tobacco. I'll start by saying this is high quality tobacco, rich in both taste and nicotine. The flavor is simple, just full, rich tobacco flavor, and I could detect no topping. Nic level is also there, as it gave me the hiccups. As others have said, this is no smoke for beginners, or ametuers...this ain't cotton candy. But, if you desire the taste of good, rich, strong tobacco, this one's for you. Will be buying more.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

How did Pipestud manage to review 1000 tobaccos?! PPP is my 69th contribution to our database. Honestly, I have a dozen or so that I am content with... I don't really need another in my rotation. But I do like to try new things.

PPP smells great in the tin...like...tobacco... It is very easy to slice and rub out: just use a very sharp blade. It doesn't need much time to dry. Two matches is all I need.

PPP makes a good volume of smoke. The room note is just tolerable for nonsmokers. Pipe smokers probably think it smells great. The casing stays with you, but it is a very light casing. Smooth. No tongue bite. Nutty Burley, like a mild version of Irish Flake. I don't taste much Virginia. After all the buildup in the reviews, the nicotine dose is disappointingly moderate. I don't detect it at all until the last third of the bowl.

The plug itself is a thing of beauty. The blend might be heavenly for Burley lovers. I received mine as a gift. I won't be purchasing any more. I already have 3 great Virginia plugs in the cellar. This does not make the rotation, but is recommended for lovers of Burley.

PS: PPP overpowers the palate, and is suitable as the last pipe of the day, or the only pipe of the day. Its lingering aftertaste does not allow for following with milder blends.

HillbillyBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HillbillyBriar (3)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Just great, straight-forward tobacco flavor. Earthy and delicious. Granted, there is nothing complex or earth-shattering about this blend; it is just darned good. I am usually not a fan of Peterson's tobaccos, but this is a quality blend through-and- through.

Love the plug presentation, too, as it allows me prepare the blend in whatever format I happen to be in the mood for. However, I usually cube cut it.

I know others detect a flavoring on this plug, but I do not taste it.

Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This plug is excellent. Despite the difficulties it can bring to get it ready to one's liking, it is a rich, satisfying smoke that combines the creaminess of the stoved VA, the nuttiness of the BU and the light berry topping gives it a nice overall flavouring that does not impede of the tobacco taste.

This plug, however, is not for everyone as it puts hair on the chest of those whom are not used to bold nicotine doses. For comparison's sake, it is stronger than Irish Flake.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not really smoked many Petersons blends for a couple of yrs, as i fell out with them, always smelling nicer than they tasted, but this one i really enjoy alot, some say its strong stuff but i think its just right, will be buying more of this very fine Plug.

Adam S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam S (6)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a tricky tobacco. I have a very diverse experience with 3p. It definitely needs some drying. If I smoke it right after opening, the taste is somehow harsh, and turns little bitter in the second half of bowl. So after experimenting for some time I found what works for me. I open the tin and move the tobacco into sealed jar. There I age it for about half year or more. After this time the tobacco is much drier. It has bigger space to "breathe". I cut about three four very thin flakes on the longer side of plug. I do not rub them. I use the fold and plug airpocket method. I found that the pipes with small chamber 16 to 19mm work the best. You can also cut the flakes you are about to smoke and let them dry for a day or two to speed things up, but the result is not the same. If the humidity is right the taste is perfect. It is fruity and full natural taste. You can also taste a little bit of almonds. No tongue bite, and also easy to light compared to other plugs. It has a strong vitamin N. I would say that this is not for beginners. It definitely needs special handling and patience, but the result is worth it! Have a glass of dry white wine together with 3p and enjoy!

Grandad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandad (8)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I absolutely love this stuff. Though disappointed when I opened the tin only to find a lump just bigger than a quarter the size of the tin, once its cut and rubbed out, it'll pretty much fill it out. Personally, I cut it into slices and then strips the size of a matchstick, let it dry a little then rubbed it out.

Since smoking this stuff I've been hankering for a cigar. I'm trying to be good but it's not working. I think 3P is the closest thing you can get to the taste of a cigar without paying the price for one.

The taste is strong but it's a good strong. And yeah, the nicotine will certainly make your head buzz for a while but it's great after a hard day! If you are smoking this somewhere where it's hot make sure you have a tall glass of Tequila and Jamaican ginger beer with plenty of ice. I think it'll complement its slight peppery taste quite well?!

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (50)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

It's good and sweet and baccy through and through. It will knock you for a loop if you don't have a full stomach.

Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

A good, strong Virginia in plug cut. Do not try this if you are just getting started. It is indeed flavoursome, but a tough one. Very austere in its structure, no subtleties or exquisitness: just a strong, plain Virginia (far bolder and less sugary than Gawith's Full Virginia Flake), presented in tightly pressed chunks. Diffiult to break appart, but once done it can be a delight; cool, long lasting but beware. Sitting is advisable.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Nice looking chocolate brownie in the tin with a deep, earthy aroma mixed with some fruitiness, similar to Irish Flake but less intrusive. This can be ripped apart and rubbed out or cut into small pieces. I had my best success with small cubes.

I found the topping started mild and then burned off rather quickly, unlike Irish or University Flakes. What was left was a flavor that was deeeeep! Cellar deep. Center of the earth deep. Very tobacco-y with hints of porterhouse steak. Although I couldn't really perceive the topping at that point, there was a slight fruity flavor, but it was very subdued. But a citrus quality bobbed and weaved on occasion. However, the main course was that deep, rich tobacco. This was a good tasting smoke that misses a 4th star by lacking the complexity that I prefer. Quite frankly, I liked this one but the plug made for a bit more effort than I like when smoking. I prefer the Flake, but by the slimmest of margins. Try this one if you enjoy more darkness than light in your blends.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Michael has summarized my impressions about this plug. It is excellent, and yes, is preferably for the experienced smoker who does not fear a good dose of Vitamine N. It might add that it is better to be puffed slowly beacuse it could, otherwise, bite.

Ejay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ejay (3)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is one that I am glad I tried before reading the reviews. Some of the reviews mentioned it tasting like charcoal and that was far from my experience. I sliced strips apx 1/16" thick from the edge like you would a stick of butter and rubbed it to coarse ribbon. After a couple of bowls, I figured out that it was better for me to pack it just slightly looser than normal ribbon cut blends. I like to pack it and let it sit in the bowl for a little bit to let it air out before I smoke it. Takes a little effort and a couple of re-lights to get it going properly, but once you do it burns quite nicely. Just a good full flavored smoke without all the extra trappings of the boutique blends. It smokes slowly so make sure to allow some extra time to enjoy it from top to bottom. Also good for when you are looking for the extra nicotine kick. Good stuff, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Orion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Orion (3)
Strong Mild Very Full Very Strong

Holy Wah! This is some of the best pipe tobacco I have had so far! The little brown brick is solid and has wonderful smell of figs. I cut off a 8th inch flake then cut it into nice little cubes. It packed very easily, and stayed lit surprisingly well considering I should have let it sit out to dry a tad bit longer. Full robust tobacco flavors with a sweet hint of fig, very smooth. And to top it all off BAM!!! Nicotine rush to the head as soon as I got up from smoking a bowl. Unfortunately, my younger brother was lighting incense upstairs due to the "wretched smell" of that fine tobacco. I will definitely be smoking this outside from now on.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A good all purpose working man's plug. Not as fragrant or complex as Triple Play. Mix with XX Kendal black rope, a snifter of Cognac, and prepare yourself for a magic carpet ride.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)

I'm used to prepping plugs and this one is as simple as it gets. Cut a flake off to desired thickness, cut into chunks and gravity fill. Lights right up and burns slow,cool and dry all the way down. Has the body and flavor of the high quality Burley-Virginia combination known of Peterson. Nice nicotine hit. I find it to be between University Flake and Irish Flake in overall body and strength and similar in character. The topping is extremely mild and indiscernible to me, taste is of natural tobacco, rich, smooth and nutty with a dark natural Mocha note that really thickens up in the flavor and aroma as the bowl progresses.

Recommended if you like University Flake and/or Irish Flake and a great addition to the Peterson lineup, IMHO. YMMV.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Since this plug has finally appeared on my home market, what could I do but order a tin?

So I did, and got the sort of tin that normally contains highly-compressed flakes. This one contained a highly-compressed lump of plug in an additional plastic wrapper.

Right on opening, there is not much of a tin note. After having kept the block of pressed leaf in a mason jar for a week, there is a fruity note to this blend that I cannot properly define, but to me it smells like a very gently applied sauce of cherry and blackberry, just barely making it over the toasted Burley.

I use a dedicated, razor-sharp kitchen knife to cut all my plugs and ropes; with a plug, I cut down slices, which I then cut into cubes. With this blend, those light well and keep slowly glowing forever... I use my smallest bowls. Beautiful, toasty-sweet taste, some fruit in there, the room note isn't bad at all, and PPP will burn cool even in a storm.

I wish there were more punch in there, though. In the overall smoking experience, this blend is not too different from, say, Irish Flake, and that is a fold-and-twist preparation that maybe does not have the Zen qualities of cutting it up yourself, but is more practical on a bowl-to-bowl basis. Hence, great blend, yes, but I can't give the full four here.

I suggest accompanying PPP with a Highland Single Malt, or a very good Irish.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Similar to Mick McQuaid plug, but without as much richness or character. Not bad, but not worth getting if MMQ is available.

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

Bought this one with great expectations, because a lot of people said me this was fantastic. When i opened the tin there came a really pleasant smell of nuts and honey. But that was the end of a good experience. Too hard to cut, too moist, and the taste was not so nice...

I let it dry a little waiting it to get better, but even dried it burned my tongue, and although i could taste the nuts (and it could be so good) it was too empty a smoke.

Maybe i will try it again later, and maybe then it will taste well, but for now, it's just rubbish.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (89)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

What a fantastic plug. I love burley VA's so it was of no suprise that this tasted good. Love the rock hard plug that could be thrown at an enemy to make your escape. Between this and Jack knife and irish flake my day is covered (except my EMP first thing and a balken or va vaper somewhere).

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Although this is nice tasting, smooth/creamy/ slightly spicy /pleasingly frutiy without an overpowering topping (like some of the lakeland plugs), there's not enough going on to really light my pipe.

A Plug tobacco ought to have more character than this. Too toned down. There are more interesting Peterson tobaks, such as Irish Oak, University Flake, and Irish Flake, all of which have more to offer, without the pain of having to cut rub and dry.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Meh....

Whether its because I'm not used to plugs maybe incorrectly preparing them or whatever. (I cubed, I flaked, I rubbed out)

But I never took to this. I found it bitey, difficult and stubborn. But that again may have just been the inexperience with plugs. Comes in a very hard little block similar in appearance to tightly compacted jerk beef.

It comes in a cellophane wrapper inside the tin, and I must say looks just like a block of the old 'wink wink, nudge nudge'

Shame it doesn't smoke as well.....

2 stars, as a bit of age (3-5 years) and an improved plug technique by yours truly may see the grading improve.

Zogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zogg (7)
Strong Very Mild Overwhelming Overwhelming

I tried it straight from the tin, dried, cubed, sliced, ground up a bit, chopped, etc etc etc and nothing would get rid of the horrid used charcoal, it tasted and smelled like i licked a recently used charcoal (including the bite) i had to work so hard to keep it lit at times, and others it just burned too hot and tasted terrible. The only citrus or fruitiness i tasted was lemons, lemons zested over charcoal.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma is Virginia and Burley, couched softly in jam and prune / fig scents. As well as notes (floral) that remind me of some scented Lakeland blends. Very pleasant, the tobaccos used seem by their scents to be of good quality, and they dominate the tin aroma even with the fruit casing.

Plug is an interesting format. Take a sharp pocket knife and carve strips from the edge. Rub or chop the strips. (Must admit this part got old pretty fast, need a sharp antique plug cutter.) I had a little trouble with initial lighting, but once it got going it needed very few relights.

I taste the sweet, cured grain of the Virginia. Dried fruit taste at first, fades into the rich tobaccos. Floral, slightly soapy, flavors reappear throughout the bowl, but so subtle, so subdued - I find it fascinating, and quite satisfying. The Nicotine level is pretty high so be careful. A bit stronger than I usually choose, still I can't help but love this stuff.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have tried all the regular peterson's and been mainly impressed - the only ones i was not keen on was "irish whisky"(more to do with its casing than the baccy) and "sweet killarny" which bit like a ferret.

Anyway 3P's;a very dense plug and moist to the touch(more damp).

First pipe;i tore off a layer or so and shredded in a bud grinder. My first impressions after getting it going was;very steamy and citrusy like pure lemon juice vapour - ;got up my nose like a fizzy drink and stung my eyes..

Tasted like lemon sherbert or bitter lemonade,,sometimes a hint of licorice,i would class it an aromatic at this point.

The baccy beneath the aromatic surface tasted between "university flake" and "dunhill light flake".

Hard work to slice,even with a stanley knife it was like cutting hide.

Room note was like lemon juiced pancake(atleast in my smoking vicinity)

I found this a chore to smoke and also difficult - it didn't want to burn and it faught me all the way down..(also on lighting it expands like popcorn and needs a good tamping)

I found it slightly spikey like it was wanting to bite,but not enough to stop me persevering.

Tried it sliced and in cube form to taste the properties of shape and the combination of the leaves together,,i have also stripped layers to see how that works;it makes no difference to taste because its mainly lemony,and the leaves are so mutually infused with eachother..

Leaving the plug out for half a day produced no improvement,,i like best;baccy that i can just open and smoke even if a bit moist,,and this was nothing special enough to justify fuffing about with(i had just been spoiled by my first plug of "kendall dark xx" which tasted like pure beef,,and i had also on getting bored of "3P's" some "revor plug")

I left "3P's" to dry out some more,,,;top of the bowl was prickly but gets smoother,but its just a "so what" experience..For a lighter smoke i would go for "erinmore flake" or "mixture" before this because i can get a reasonable smoke strait out of the tin.

Thinking that i wouldn't buy this again because it reminded me of "amberleaf" rollup,,;in a moments boredom i tore the whole block up into @ 1.5mm layers and cut them with scissors into 1/4" x 1.5" inch strips and left it open in the tin for 24 hours..

WHAT A TRANFORMATION!

The citrus vapour factor has left the building,,,;and what remained was a mellow,slightly fruit fragrenced,mild and smooth smoke like a lighter bodied "university flake" or a fruitier version of "dunhill light flake"

I could now taste the baccy for what it was and compare its overal flavour to semolina or tapioca pudding..(quality at last,,;to be honest all peterson aromatics have required a full day of opening before smoke to get the best out of them)

So easy on the tongue now that i forgot i was smoking it almost,,,;my problem was in trying to preserve it in its plug form out of novelty factor instead of dealing with it.

I am also impressed with what the "scissor cut" did to the packing and smokability of this,,;its virtues were liberated.

Burns to a grey ash with a few semi-burnt coals at the bottom of the bowl(i saved these for putting on top of the next bowl because they made good lighting material).

Would i buy this again though?,,;that would depend entirely on what else was available on the shelf next to it or whether i was ordering on line,,,also whether i wanted to smoke it there and then. I would grab university flake over this anytime if on the same shelf,,;i wouldn't actively order this on line again though,i prefer university flake's fuller body and its ready for smoking out the tin. I would buy this over your average OTC brands and save it for later and smoke rollup in the meantime..

Last note:-This actually smoked its best when completely dried out,i had to be careful on packing to make sure i didn't turn it to dust,,,;but its ironic that its best smoking potential was when its form was at the complely opposite end of the spectrum, compared to how it was first originally sold...(Destroy to enjoy)

Top D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Top D (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This was my first experience with a plug tobacco (other than chewing in the early 70's), but I entered this with a total commitment to make it work and give an honest review. This is truly a good tobac, but takes work. I cleaved off corners with a pocket knife on a cutting board until I had a couple pipes full... Let it set a while and loaded in a medium sized meerschaum. I absolutely can't say a bad thing about it. Just Sayin'.....

Bike Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bike Pipes (10)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This veritable plug was my first introduction to this form factor of tobacco, as I'm sure it was for many other pipers – the good news is that I am partial to plugs; however, the bad news is that there is a dearth of plugs on the market (GLP JackKnife plug being very hard to obtain at the moment).

Different methods of preparation tended to yield a similar flavor, no surprise here as logic would dictate. From rubbing out flakes to slicing off and cubing, the duration of each session varied according to net amount tobacco in the bowl.  I very much enjoyed shaving off strips as well as rubbing out flakes; however, the one and only time I tried cube cuts I nearly smoked myself into nauseous oblivion.  Needless to say this tobacco borders on being strong in the nicotine department and cube cuts can really pack a huge amount of tobacco into a bowl.

I think to actually make flavor comparisons would do this blend an injustice as it is not noticeably topped or altered in any way (despite the stated "berry"). The only true taste that comes through is that of a smooth but very rich burley – not quite bitter but definitely not sweet.

I recommend this blend to anyone who is looking for the following smoking characteristics: medium to strong nicotine, variety of preparation methods (i.e. not readily smokeable unless you prepare in advance), rich flavor but not sweet and finally a crowd neutral room note (3P definitely won't have people coming up to you or running away from you).

Franz Josef the Rabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Franz Josef the Rabbit (6)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

A good mixture of above stated tobaccos. Pleasant and satisfying.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Awful. Just bloody awful. I wish I could think of something nice to say about this tobacco but I would be forced to lie to do so. With thirty five years of pipe smoking behind me this is one of the very few tins of tobaccos that I simply could not finish. I'm struggling to find the words to describe the taste of this "Perfect Plug". The closest I can come is a charcoal briquette covered in road tar. I enjoy some of Peterson's offerings on regular basis but for my taste this one is just horrid.

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

PPP is a high quality Burley mixture: natural, earthy, cool to smoke, with minimum tongue bite. The casing is barely noticeable. The only problem I've found is that the plug dries quickly once the tin is open, making it difficult to cut without reducing the leaves to dust. Compared to other plugs, this tobacco is fairly mild. Still, a very recommendable everyday smoke.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After a tin...several thoughts: 1.0) I cut this about like Irish Flake and then 'palm-mangled' it into submission, stuffing the mashed and shreddy mass into the bowl in three parts...followed by a very well rubbed topping for an easy light. 1.1) To all those sniveling about the harsh difficulties of cutting up the plug...oh, do come along! Quit your pathetic whining. If you don't like to cut plug...don't. Smoke something else. There's plenty of other blends out there. There! I feel better now. 2) To me, this is between IF and UF in the Peterson line. Light flavor (no, there's no cocoa flavor there, thank you...just a general 'light fruity' thing) so don't expect a heavy hitter...but better for me than the UF berry patch. 3) Moderate Vit. N level. Adjust your puffing accordingly, not hard to do. 4) This is a solid (no pun intended) entry from the big P, a fine addition to their line...provides Peterson fanboys a plug with which to play. 5) No - it's not like the bombs from the various Gawiths, but I don't think it tries to be. It seems more in keeping with what Peterson has always stood for (to me)...quality, moderation (except for the Nic hit of IF) and broad appeal. 6) It's not Stonehaven (darn it!). I was really hoping that it would be just exactly like Stonehaven...but easier to find and in plug form. Oh well. 7) Is it "perfect"? No. But then, nothing really is. Is it, "Peterson's Perfect Plug"? Well, I really think that this, being such a Peterson-esque blend and adding to their line in the way it does...for PETERSON...I'd say it was just about perfect. For me? Well, I just wish it was Stonehaven. Did I say that already?

Old Toby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Toby (3)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

A rep for Peterson gave me some of this tobacco to try when it was first introduced. I put it out shortly after. By far one of the worst blends Peterson has come up with. Not impressed at all. Had little flavor and when I did get flavor, it was like a cardboard box steamed with 3 week old dishwater.

Harsh? Ya, it is, but it's honest. I am glad I tried this before I bought it.

~Old Toby

umm_bacon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
umm_bacon (12)

This was the first plug that I have smoked. I was very surprised at how well it smoked. This has consistently smoked as well as anything else that I have experienced. I was a bit let down in terms of fullness of flavor. I expected more of a hearty smoke (as I assumed all plugs were stronger). While I enjoy the ritual of preparation, I yearn for more of a kick. I didn't get much of a fruity anything, but this is something that I will keep buying, as it is the only plug I can find locally.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

To me this is a MAJOR disappointment, I love my burley and VA's, I love flakes and plugs but as a Dublin born pipe smoker my 'homees' let me down. It is very similar to McQuaid's Plug, the definitive all-Ireland tobacco over many decades. McQuaid's is fruitier and 3P's is a less cassed version. I don't get much chocolate taste from the burley. Many smokers dislike the berry topping in University Flake and the lakeland hints in Irish Flake, this me thinks is Peterson's solution to address marketing feedback. A golden opportunity sadly wasted, a new plug from Peterson!...what went wrong! New products rarely work when they are developed to close loopholes.

Slightly fruity, good full strength baccy, good quality leafs, but surpassed on all fronts by it's flanking flakes, I shall be sticking to IR and UF and buy some McQuaid's Plug when I'm back in Dublin.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Peterson's Perfect Plug:

Another one of those ("Yeah, it's alright but not a lid flipper")types of blends. Nice tobacco and not too flavored but nothing in the caliber of the Kendal tobaccos (at least in the non-aromatic catagories--the only ones that I've smoked).Don't get me wrong it is obviously high quality tobacco- well medium high anyway to be truthful.I certainly don't find it "full-bodied" as the advertising suggests but that's a body chemistry and personal opinion,I suppose. I am somewhat spoiled in this regard with Gawith and Hoggarth's and Sam Gawith's more potent ropes, slices and twists.I haven't tried any of Peterson's other offerings but I read from others that there are more robust options available. I just shy away from them as they contain Burley tobacco. From many experiences Burleys seem to disagree with my taste buds.

The room note is something I don't bother with or care about but my wife tells me that this one is quite pleasant. O.K.

The taste(body) is there but again it is rather so-so. I appreciate the other commenteers suggestion about putting the tobacco away for some time and allowing the possibility of improvement. It's possible, I guess, but my purchases are ones I intend to smoke right away and some well known authors have commented the tobaccos have already been aged a good deal before they are packaged and sold.Consequently I just smoke the stuff and leave the aging thing to others.Whatever works for each individual smoke is fine with me.

Do I reccomend it? Sure but only somewhat.It is a good plug tobacco but not a great one and for the price I'd just as soon spend it on Kendal or even Peter Stokkebye products at this time.

----- The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

paddy1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paddy1981 (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

Today was my first attempt at this Plug. I went into Peterson's of Dublin and purchased it. Took it home and started carving. I found it rather pleasurable to carve and it rubbed very well. I packed a half bowl and started puffing. I did not pack it tight.

Oh my good lord it is fantastic. A+ for this one. It gets the gold star.

It started well and only needed to be re-lighted once as I stopped a few minutes in and started up again a few minutes later.

Once I cut it and rubbed it I left it dry for about 10 minutes and BINGO.

It is a rich mature and almost aged smoke with a hint of coco in the after taste. A true genius in a blend of tabacco.

I can imagine this been a true friend with a decent bottle of red wine.

Highly recommended but for the seasoned smoker only so beginners beware. It packs some poke.

Enjoy.

Flugplatz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flugplatz (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is not an English. There is no Latakia. Just virginia and burley. And boy, is it ever good! I would not recommend this to a beginner smoker. It is labor intensive and packing capabilities may not be up to snuff yet to produce a satisfactory/oralfactory smoking session.

I would however recommend it to anyone with knowledge of flakes and VA's because it takes time to appreciate it's depths of color and flavor.

I also recommend it to anyone who is in this hobby who likes to fidget with things. Cutting the pieces off of the cube is highly satisfying, especially when you know what's coming next. You get to determine your own widths, lengths and cubes. Cut it in the corners, along the grain, against the grain. Possibilities are endless. It's a lot of fun. Just have a very sharp pocket knife and get carving!

The flavor in a good VA pipe is so relaxing, the Vitamin N is a little higher than usual pipe weed, and the room note seems to be tolerable. It's something I like to smoke after a good meal.

Can't compare this to anything else really, it's just a good plug in and of itself.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

Devilish to cut, even when compared to some other plugs, but I managed fine with a really sharp kitchen knife and a pair of shears. Sliced to tabac around 1/16 inch thick then cubed it with the scissors (this has become my default plug start cut). Packed nicely after about 15 minuted dry out. No trouble with lighting although because of the density of the cubes I may have givin it a more thorough charring light than usual.

Initially almost a mediciney taste comes through...not unpleasant, but like the aftertaste of Jagermeister or maybe Strega Licquer. Not at all unlike SG Bracken Flake to be honest, but none of the sachet overtones of the lakeland types. The tobacco sets into a nice mixed Virginia/burley smoke with some high notes and low notes poking in an out. Nose smoke is almost fruity in character and no bite (smoked in a small prince). The medicine flavor pokes it's head in and out (more like a spiced christmas fruitcake than medicine, actually...) presumably when chunks from my homeade cubecut ignited deeper in the bowl. At about the halfway point, the tobacco shifts into highway gear and starts tasting remarkably like Petersons Irish Flake does at the same point in the bowl. The virginias are continuing their chorale, but the burleys and whatever else are still singng strong. It is at this point that I usually have to put the bowl down for a while because of the nicotine. Mind you, I am no faint of heart, nicotine sensitive type person. I smoke pipes daily and smoked Marlboro Reds for 20 years and still occasionally chew a quid or two for kicks...and I have on several occasions had to put the bowl down and wait out the nic tremors...

Al in all a good smoke, I'd reccomend it to someone who likes the stronger natural/lightly flavored type of flake smokes. I'd say that it is most similar to some of The SG flakes, (Bracken and 1792 come to mind as similar yet distinct types of tobacco). NOT a beginner tobacco by a longshot. This wont be an everyday tobacco for me but it will certainly remain in my "touchstone" box and I'll probably get two or more cans sent over to cellar with my next online purchase just to hedge by bets against the inevitable tobacco prohibition to come...

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As you read from the other reviews this brick tobacco is a bit hard to prepare before smoking it. I like the presentation. It looks like you can take it anywhere in your pocket. It won't dry easily and it will ocupy a small sart of your pocket :)

I have the patience of a pipe smoker and a modeller so I didn't look at how much time it takes when preparing the bowl with this fine blend. I tried to cut flakes and smoked. I also tried to rub it as much as I could. In both versions it lights hard and it is not easy to keep it lit. The flake version is harder to smoke. But with patience and several matches this tobacco satisfied me.

It has a high nicotine dosage. I personally prefered medium sized bowls just for this reason. It offers a deep, tasteful Virginia-Burley smoke. The casing is fruity and smooth but not too sweet. This blend isn't an anytime tobacco for me. It must be enjoyed after dinner once or twice a week. I hope it will be available also in ready rubbed version, I would like to give it a try.

Angelos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angelos (8)

This is a tobacco that despite the work of cutting to flakes, it deserves your try. A chocolate aroma is very present and just a little drying has to be done.A very pleasant and dry smoke will gain your appreciation as much as the others' in the room.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It is a "must try" the beginner pipe smoker that want's to find what is the tobacco for him. I think I will rate all strong english tobaccos that I will ever smoke by referencing it to this one.

n9inchnails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
n9inchnails (10)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I find that this similar to UF exept 3P is smoother, richer, stronger, tastier and all around just better. Although i still smoke UF more often as is more readily available but this makes for a great treat. This truly is the Perfect Plug

TerryN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TerryN (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

Sorry everyone but I was a little disappointed with this tobacco. I love Irish and University Flake but 3P does nothing for me. To me it's bland and leaves a sour taste in the mouth after smoking. Everyone seems to like it but I'll stick to the sforementioned and my Gawith's selection.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Great stuff!! I love the presentation, a compact alluring block of wonderfulness wrapped in beautiful white carton. I love the tinkering with a pocket knife to shave of a few very thin flakes. Finally a worthy target for my beloved Small Sebenza... I love the pure taste without the distractions other VA flakes present to me.

Is casing the same as flavoring? Because I notice the slightly sweet casing, but I do not detect any artificial flavoring...

The only thing I do not like is the name. I think the buyer should determine whether a product is perfect and not the producer.

Roomnote quite faint, pleasant and tobacco-y

Update may 2011 Maybe it's the casing, maybe the Burley, but i just don't come back to this plug, so after the initial excitement I put it down to 2 stars...

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first try at a plug. I sliced a few thin flakes from one end of the dense plug and hoped for the best. It only needed a few relights. The casing gives it a sweetness that balances the strength of the virginias. A faint fruity taste gives it some complexity. It did have more kick to it than I expected

H.B Ghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H.B Ghost (3)

Peterson's Perfect Plug is presented in a 3 5/8" high X 3 1/8" wide X 1 1/8" deep gold toned tin.

Upon opening the tin there is a thin waxpaper liner folded over a cellophane encased plug of tobacco. The plug in this tin was 2" high X 1/1/2" wide and 3/4" thick. It is a dark brown color(much like the color of a block of unsweetened baking chocolate) with specks and grains of a golden/tan tobacco. The plug was moist to the touch and very dense, you will need a sharp knife to cut this. The aroma from the tin is very sweet and strong tobacco.

After some experimentation, I found that slicing the plug lengthwise to about a 3/32" thickness worked best for me. This tobacco smokes better if it is left to air for 15-20 minutes after rubbing it out. I use the "gravity method" to pack my bowls, and pack my pipes so the draw is about the same as a filtered cigarette. 3P's lights easily and requires little maintenance.

The smoke is full and the sugars really kick in a few minutes after lighting. The flavors are sweet and remind me of lemongrass. The casing occasionally pops it's head, but stays very much in the background. I can not tell what the casing is other than saying "fruity" is appropriate. If you get distracted and puff heavily the nicotine will say hello in a big way and the flavors disappear. 3P's is not harsh and I suffered no tounge bite. Smoking slowly is the way to go.

Random notes:

My wife describes the room note as "pleasant and tobaccoey."

The ash is of a white with some grey.

Approximatley 20 bowls smoked in the following pipes: 1)Missouri Pride 2)Falcon straight with a Dover and a Meer lined Hyperbole 3)Charatan's Make Special Billiard 4) A Peterson System full bent 5)Tsuge rusticated billiard

In conclusion, I highly recommend this tobacco

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very good "after dinner" tobacco. It comes out of the tin with little aroma and just at the right moisture level. I prefer to use a small bowl Downie and using a sharp knife, I prefer to shave pieces off of the block creating very thin curled pieces. PPP smokes wonderfully, growing in strength as the bowl progresses. I don't quite get the fruitiness that others describe, but that doesn't detract from this fine quality weed. Recommended.

Update: I must be a little slow on the learning curve with this one as it took multiple tins before I could appreciate the nice fruitiness of this fine weed! Good stuff!

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Peter Pan smokes this right before he takes off to No man's land.

Popeye smokes this before breakfast.

Hannibal Smith from the A-Team smokes this, when nobodys watchin.

Fidel Castro would like to smoke this.

I smoke this after a good meal...as a matter of fact...me smokin it right now :)

Your endeavours shall be rewarded. Very satisfying smoke.

BUT, just like UniversityFlake it can be a little harsh on my palate. at least for my taste. so i'm giving it solid 3 stars.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've gone to the dark side & moved up from flakes to plug tobacco.

Just finished my 1st bowl of this fine tobacco with a cup of French Market coffee.

I'm in love ;)

It easy to prepare, did take a couple more relights than my flakes but that was straight out of the tin.

Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I was anxious to try Peterson's 3 P's and found no problem working with my first plug tobacco as the idea of a plug was very appealing to me. The very dense plug was not at all damp to the touch as some others have mentioned. There was very little in the way of tin aroma once I took the plug from its cellophane wrapping either (only a tad fruity). Cutting the plug was quite easy for me as I chose to cut a few thin slices in the direction of the plug's longer side with a Swiss Army pocket knife. I didn't let it dry more than 10 minutes before loading. Lighting was easy, requiring only 2 relights along the way. Along with a solid tobacco taste, there was a mild fruitiness that I found pleasant. PPP burned relatively slow and evenly without any detectable moisture. Smoked cool, dry, without bite, and even to the heel.

Although packing a punch, I feel it is slightly behind Irish Flake in strength and with a different flavor profile. It is not as harsh as Irish Flake. What flavor there is doesn't come into its own unless there is sufficient drying. Good for when you want a strong smoke. I have always favored flakes and really like the idea of a plug. I like IrF better since it has a better flavor profile and 3 Ps can be boring for the most part. Nevertheless recommended with 3 stars.

UPDATE: 9-20-13 If you want to elevate 3P's to a 4 star smoke it will take a bit of patience on your part. I have found that after opening the tin and cellophane wrapping, I close the tin leaving the plug in its opened but loosely taped cellophane wrapping for a year. When I want to smoke it, I tear off sheets of the tobacco rather than slicing into flakes. You get very thin leaf this way. Then I cube it and fill my pipe. The effect is like putting miniature leaves into the bowl (virtually no thickness) and light up. It needs lots of tamping due to the thin nature of the leaf which makes it fluff up after the first several lights. Now if you REALLY sip this (and not because of bite) the flavor comes to the forefront and makes for a very lovely smoke. A lot of prep here, but if you have the time and willing to really stick to a slow smoking cadence, 3P's has very few equals. It reminds me most of Mick McQuaid Plug. I need to follow the same ritual with that one as well.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't know if I can follow up after quantumboy's extraordinarily thesaurical review, but here it goes.

Peter Piper picked a peck of Peterson's Perfect Plug thus producing a profoundly pleased palate. A pyromaniacal pleasure!

Peace out pipe people!

Gotta p!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Perfunctory Pontifications on Peterson's Perfect Plug:

Pry open the Package and Peruse a Plug in a Plastic Pouch. Pull open the Pouch and Participate in the Pleasant Perfume of Prunes and Produce Past its Prime, which Portends Potent but Pleasurable Paroxysms of Pleasure.

Peterson's Paleolithic Plug is so Petrified that it Pleads to be Pulverized Prior to Packing in your Pipe. This Perplexing Plug - as Pitch-black as a hockey Puck - Packs Prodigious Potential for Piping Pleasure but must be Properly Prepared with Pocket or Paring knife. Puny Pieces the Proportions of Peppercorns are still too Prodigious for this Potpourri of Pleasure (from my Perspective).

Once Packed, it is Particularly Prone to Punching like a Pugilist if Puffed too Powerfully. If it Punishes the Proboscis when Puffed Proactively, Pampering Peterson's Perfect Plug will Pacify and Please the Palate. Puffed Placidly, it Pleases with a Palpable Pungency and Pleasurable Piquancy. It will Positively Perk up the Piper who is Pooped and needs a Pick-me-up. There is no Paucity of Punch in this Pastiche but Plenty of Plaudits are due for the Plenitude of Panache.

While Puffing, the Perfume in the Parlor is Pungent and not Particularly Pleasing. Its Performance in the Pipe may be Problematic but Peterson's Plug Pays for any Problems by its Palliative Properties. No Parsimonious Plug, Peterson's Pushes the Piper Past Pedestrian Practices, into a Perspicacious Protocol that Pays off with Pandemonium in one's Piehole.

Pedestrian? No. Pusillanimous? Never. Palatable? Positively!

The Prudent Piper will Procure some Peterson's Perfect Plug Posthaste.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought this along with two more Peterson tobaccos to try. Two of them reviewed elsewhere were unpleasant and poles apart from this gem-in-a-tin, and this is the only Peterson that I shall be buying again.

I cursed the difficulty of managing plugs, but persevered until I perfected my technique, and was very glad that I did.

This plug is smooooth, tasty,with good manners in the pipe. Smoked well from top to dottle almost every time, although after 3 consecutive pipefuls I still got that metallic sore throat making "Continental-processed-tobacco-tingle."

This one, I am totally addicted to, along with one other from GHK. Isn't is a good job that we all like different things ?? What a shame that there isn't a more accurate way of rating pipe tobacco than we have here. Perhaps a " Value per 50grms " category ?? This is tops ..

I'm tired of swelling the Government coffers with hard-earned VAT for nothing. Most tobaccos are around the 5pence a gram mark now. Extortion, and I'm running short of patience wasting my 5 pences on unpleasant experiences.

Happily, this plug isn't one of them, and justifies the name on the tin, although absolute perfection would be to smoke a plug of this calibre without burn, tingle or bite.

ImAFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ImAFlake (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a professed newbie, but here goes. I asked my local what to start with and tried a 3 Virginia blend. Smells nice, but bland. I remembered seeing this on the shelf and had already decided that I wanted to try some of the Peterson lineup. I ignored the "for experienced smokers". I opened it and immediately liked the aroma (fruity like figs and dried plums), but that is usually where the let down started before; smells great but no taste. Not this. I kept getting the same aroma hints in the smoke and now and then a flavor would really jump out at me; all good things. I think the room aroma was nice, but subdued. Then the buzz hit me. Holy cow! Good thing it was evening and I was not needing to do any serious work!

I went back and bought IF and UF too since they seem to all be somewhat related. I doubt I will smoke this daily, but no doubt it will be smoked plenty for the right moments. For a while, I will likely smoke this in a smaller pipe until I can handle the hit.

luckistrykes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luckistrykes (2)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

if its a nicotine fix you are in need of grab some of this. i had to let the bowl go out several times. now im not a wimp when it comes to the vitamin N either...i've smoked cigarettes for over ten years now and i smoke cigars as well. the taste was very pleasent and almost sweet i would say. really i need to smoke more of this stuff cause the overwelming amount of nicotine had me so buzzed i dont think i can remember my expirience at all...i will be buying more of this and adding it to my maybe once a week rotation

Nothingfancy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nothingfancy (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great blend. Finally got my hands on it. Tried smoking it rubbed and packed in quick succession, not as good of a call as waiting 30 minutes for it to air out. Either way it ended up being a great smoke, loved it all the way down to the bottom of a bowl. Overall well worth the price. Reminiscent of Irish Flake, except a bit tamer. Exactly what I was looking for. Not especially hard-hitting visit from Lady N.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

this is what pipesmoking is all about, work for your pleasure!First of all it smells great, fresh and fruity. It is easy to work on this chunk with the help of a pocket knife, cut down small thin strips. Rub it a bit but not too much. The aroma comes to you through the unlit pipe, give the baccy a little dry out moment, let´s say 15-20 minutes. First light - a bit nasty like all flakes do, but second light brings joy- good quantity of smoke, very good taste, quite similar to tin smell. Different to IF & UF in taste although some very nice hints of peated tobacco, better mixture for "weak" smokers, no meal beforehand requested, just pleasure even in large pipes. Burns down slowly even if the wind is trying to shorten your pleasure. I will keep some of it in my rucksack, even the price for it is a bit frightening, but the good boys are trying to suck our blood like leaches anyway. Nevertheless I recommend this to va lovers and all the gawith followers should also give this very well balanced product a try.That said I have my pocket knife ready again. Add on - I think after three tins - one of my favorite tobaccos, because smell in tin and taste of smoke are equal & that is simply that what I expect of a good blend - upgrade to 4 stars 12/20/2009

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This plug looks and tastes somewhat like a Yachtsman plug, except for the clear Irish Flake lineage. The casing is very mild, not as pronounced as Mic McQuaid.

I usually slice and dice plugs, but this I'm rubbing and airing out. I don't know what has gotten into me. More time on my hands, I guess. Maybe this diminishes that fruit or berry flavor, maybe not, but it stays lit rubbed out. I've been smoking it in 999 fishtails.

There are times when I like being tested by the strength of Irish Flake. Other times I like this better. I am thinking this may be my favorite plug. It may be the perfect plug.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Top drawer. Not as burley forward (nor a "berry like") as University Flake, nor near as potent as Irish Flake. But still an interesting combo of burley and Virginia with a spice note that may be the slight casing cooked in.

A nice fullish taste (not really sweet) and must have more Virginia percentage that the other two flake offerings of Peterson.

I don't really smoke much plugs, aside from some C&D Briar Fox or Wessex Gold Block (Brick?). Yes, it seems like you must use a sharp knife and cut slices down like a loaf of bread, but as thin as possible (even if you can't manage a whole slice cleanly). Rub them a little and plug into pipe and puff away. May take a couple of lights to get started, but once she gets going she goes. Slow burning of course.

Better in a small bowl I think. I've smoked a dozen bowls (about half the little block). My wife said it smelled like figs in the tin. Not really that wet of a smoke but I do use a pipe cleaner or two with it.

It gives the richness of Irish Flake or Highland Slices, but without the potential hit. Highly recommend for burley type flake smokers.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this on Gnossos recommendation and I have to say he did me a solid. In the last year or so I had steered away from Plugs because of the pain in the butt factor but this sliced better than any other plug I've run across. It made great flakes, which dried with no issue. Fully rubbed out and packed into a Peterson Meer, This lit up fine and had a very full flavor. It was dark, rich and just sweet enough to be pleasant. I got a taste of the fruit topping only in a very superficial sense, and then only occasionally though out the whole. Burned clean and stayed consistent for me. Great stuff. Defiantly a bonus to the cellar.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is rather powerful stuff for me; when I get hiccups the first time I smoke something, that is a clue. I like it, though. There is zero bite (except to the back of my throat and sinuses if I let any of the smoke past my palate) and the blend is simple and mellow despite its strength. I did not have any problems keeping it lit, but I rubbed and dried it out pretty thoroughly. The flavor is more rustic than exotic, which surprised me after having read the tin description. I hardly noticed the topping in the smoke, but it gives the plug a nice aroma. Note: I believe the proper way to prepare this is to slice a flake off the end as thin as possible with a sharp knife or razor and then dry and rub it out.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

While there is fruit here I say it's less "fruity" than university flake. If you like Irish Flake, University Flake, G&H Dark Flake, Solani Silver Flake, etc, this will do you well.

re: pipestud's post, I would recommend using a knife to make thin slices off the cake rather than peeling and picking. I have no real problem getting this tobacco lit and to stay lit. Also, I think the way the layering of leaves works when pressing a cake prior to slicing means you kind of need to slice it, otherwise you're just getting one layer of tobacco... I think, who knows. Whatever. Smoke it, it's good. Likely to become a regular.