PipesAndCigars

After receiving some calls and emails from members of the New York Pipe Club lamenting the loss of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, we wanted to develop a blend with similar characteristics to EMP. After a number of "tweaks", we sent a sample to the club, and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. We're now making it available to the general public. A traditional English mixture of sweet Virginias, fragrant Orientals and rich, smoky Latakia.

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
Packaging1.5oz Tin, 8oz Tin, Bulk
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Have Been dealing with Pipes and Cigars.com for a few years now and I am extremely well pleased with the service and the products, especially Russ' blends. I smoke several presently and plan on smoking more. This latest offering- Daybreak is no exception to this overall evaluation of Russ' ability as a blender and the guys in the ordering department's courtesy and helpfulness.

I am not really qualified to judge the merits of Daybreak as compared to anything "Dunhill",Early Morning Pipe or otherwise. It is not that I haven't smoked most of the Dunhill tobaccos as I have but it has been some time ago. I am not part of the mourning Dunhill beatification crowd though I do admit that at times Dunhill did make some nice blends. So did several other now extinct companies and memories (however over-polished and exaggerated) cannot fill even a single miniscule pipe bowl. Sad but as the Cajuns say "Ehhhhhhhhhh la!"

Russ' Daybreak more than adequately fills the niche left by the absence of Early Morning Pipe. In fact, if my failing memory doesn't completely fool me the blend Russ has made is better.

Better? Yep!

Packs and lights remarkably well. Tastes fine and is the perfect strength of an early morning smoke with my good friend Latakia. Being an high quality English blend the room note will probably not make many of the "Significant Others" around you jump for joy but I don't have to worry about that(he said a little smugly) since my wife likes the aroma.

I really don't believe that there is a better English bargain available and one other thing that might be kept in mind and that is that this is an American blender's blend. For both patriotic and practical reasons it makes sense to choose this tobacco. We all know about the persnicketty, fussy and spotty problems with overseas tobacco houses and no matter how much we enjoy the blends it is rather an irritation to be at their whims of supply. The blend itself is one of the best if not the outright best buys in this style and catagorey of blends. Why bother with anything else? Anyway, great stuff,good price,nice people to deal with.What else is to be asked for?

The Piper at the gates of Dawn says "Thanks, Russ"

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (40)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I smoke Dunhill daily, usually with coffee in the morning. I purchased this tin along with five other varieties in a six tin sampler for about $35 or $6 per tin, so affordable - yes. Upon opening the tin, I immediately spotted a number of ticky tacky bits that I removed and threw away... mostly big dried veins and woody bits that belong in your garden's mulch pile. Moisture level is ready to smoke, which I found convenient. Upon second lighting, I had a good flavor, as good as EMP. And smoking the entire medium sized bowl was easy, mostly due to the ideal moisture level. Attentive tamping is needed to prevent this chunky tobacco from getting airy and weak tasting, but the flavor is good till about the last third of the bowl, which is dominated by an ammonia like tinge. I haven't yet felt any N and If Id been smoking EMP, 965, or Nightcap, I would have been enjoying this bowl long ago. Do I want annother bowl of this stuff? Perhaps, but I've got leather tongue and the roof of my mouth is getting raw. I wonder if there are preservatives in the mix. Honestly, I think it would be a shame to smoke this stuff while pretending that something much better isn't available.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat COB

Age When Smoked: fresh opened tin

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

When it comes to pipe tobacco, I am what a "foodie" is to food. I love many, many blends. However, I MUST have a bowl of Early Morning Pipe each and every day. When it comes to "match" type blends, I find most fall far short. Daybreak is not only very close, its an excellent blend in its own right. In some ways it may even be a bit richer and fuller than EMP. Russ managed to capture the flavors of EMP and the strengh too. Now that EMP has returned to the American market many may ask. "why buy Daybreak?" and the answer is simple, it's available in bulk and it's darn good. Daybreak still has a space in my cellar. Highly Recommended!

clifswin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clifswin (8)

Russ carefully does not describe this as a copy of the lamented EMP, and that's wise -- it's an homage, or a reflection, but not a copy. Slightly heavier than EMP, with perhaps a bit more oriental flavor, it is still an excellent light-medium tobacco, and very well suited to a morning smoke. After two months of having it in my rotation of tobaccos, I decided I didn't want to be without it and bought a couple pounds. Taste is smooth and balanced, slightly sweet, with a subtle richness that goes well with a walk in the cool morning air. There is no soloist in this ensemble; it is entirely dedicated to harmony, and it does it very, very well.

daniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daniel (4)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This attempt to replicate Dunhill's E.M.P. utterly fails, in my opinion, to achieve it's objective. Preferable are McConnel's #925--not a 965 replica as advertised; also Rattray's mixture #7, Red Raparee, and Professional mixture; McConnel's mixture #1. King Charles is also very good and in the taste neighborhood.Daybreak was so un-assuming, so muted, so mild, that I felt there was no point in smoking it and I chucked it without regret.

Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

A friend sent me a tin of EMP and this to see how close I thought they were to one another. Since I am no fan of EMP, I guess I viewed this as a favor. I first smoked 3 bowls of EMP, then 3 of this, then alternated. They looked different in the tin but smelled very similar - that is, incredible. Whatever the specific orientals used, they are extremely fragrant and mouth watering. The ribbons of both were easy to load and took the match effortlessly.

The burning bouquet of both was exquisite. I would go so far as to say that both would win my vote for Tobaccos I'd Most Enjoy Being Around, as long as others were smoking them. Both failed for me where it counts - in the taste. I'm not sure what it is - needing more or less latakia, a tastier batch of Virginias, different orientals, or what. They were just too bland and flavorless for my tastes. Granted, they are designed for a "first smoke of the day" and I usually don't get to that, even on weekends, until 10:00 or so. So they aren't made for my tastebuds. But likely, they are made for a lot of people.

This one tasted so close to EMP that I would probably have trouble distinguishing them by taste alone (although at times I thought this was a hair richer). For that, Russ deserves 4 stars for this one. But since I grade based on my personal taste, this earns 2 stars, same as EMP. In other words, I can appreciate and respect the goal for this one, and it is well earned. If every blends design goal were as clear as this one, I'd probably grade more objectively. But since usually all I have to go on is my own tastes and point of view, all I can say is that I just can't buy into Daybreak with my tastebuds. But if you enjoy EMP and haven't tried this one, wait no longer.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

While I've been a pipe smoker for over fifteen years, I've only been branching out from my familiars just recently.

I was looking for a lighter Latakia blend, and I found one here. Lots of very light colored flake- often of the shakier variety, which has me thinking that the Turkish is the predominant thing going.

I say this as my impressions of the blend vacillated often as I tried it. Initially, my pipe choices were bigger bowled ones I often use for Latakias, but these didn't put the smoke in a good light. I'm a bit of a puffer, and this blend smokes very quick for me; I'd call it downright fluffy. I recommend the kind of bowl one would use on a Virginia- something narrower, if not smaller, even if it doesn't smoke like Virginias as you know them.

This might make "Daybreak" a good name for the blend- if you suffer from insomnia as I often do and are up til the wee hours, you are probably not looking for a long smoke. Likewise if you are planning on awakening at dawn and getting your day off to a quick start. It's got some vitamin N, but nothing to hit you over the head with. For me that's a good thing, and I could see a frequent smoker wanting to hit this all day long.

This blend was dry enough to be ready to go as soon as I opened the can. I don't mind crumbling, but I do mind drying time, so good-to-go is good for me. This is the first pipe tobacco I've ever had where I was able to smoke the dottle down to absolutely nothing. Maybe it's too dry, but it's nice to be able to smoke something all the way down for once and not feel like I'm wasting anything.

The flavor I get is a delicate piney-ness, for the lack of a better word. The Latakia takes a back seat to the Virginia, but where is that pine coming from? I know I've detected a distinct camphor note in a Balkan before, so there's likely some connection. And no I'm not talking menthol here- not even remotely. Just an aroma you might get in a high desert or the side of a green mountain. It's wispy and not overpowering.

The downside however is a lack of complexity. You won't go wrong with this smoke though, if you accept it on its own terms. Latakia freaks should stay away, while the rest of us get our simpler kicks and move on down the line. Three Stars.

Edit: As of 3/30/14 I'm amping this up to four stars, due to the fact that this tobacco delivers consistently. That's more than I can say for other tobaccos I like more.

Pipe Used: a variety

Age When Smoked: just-purchased 8 oz. can

Similar Blends: very light Balkans.

pipe-junky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe-junky (8)

I smoked Daybreak before i decided to try the new early morning pipe. I find EMP stronger and on the higher side in taste. I prefer DB to EMP hands down. This is based on smoking a year old tin of EMP vs 1 year DB. For me DB rocks ! Smooth no bite plenty of taste and will always as long as there making it will be in my pipe.

Pipe Used: BRIARS, MEERSCHAUM

Age When Smoked: FRESH ,1YEAR 2YEARS

Purchased From: PIPES & CIGARS

Similar Blends: nothing ! it is it's own blend..

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)

No, not a copy of Dunhill's EMP, but very, very good indeed. Less Oriental than EMP at the tin, but nicely balanced overall. Pairs great with coffee and is a definite go-to morning and even all-day blend. Slightly dry, as with most English blends, Daybreak has no bite, burns clean, packs easily. Produces rich amounts of pleasant smoke.

Although one could say that this is a nice substitute for EMP at a lower price, I wouldn't. Daybreak is an excellent blend on its own merits. The fact that it is less expensive than other tins is just a bonus.

Will definitely keep this in stock.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)

I can only express what I taste, and that is a great light English blend that needs no comparison to EMP et al. to shine on its own. 24/7 smoke despite the name. Earl (reviewer immediately below) sums it up perfectly. Stumbled across Daybreak almost by accident among all of the more vaunted tobaccos in my house and now can't get enough of it. Light yet full, approachable yet heady, yada yada. Tastes are obviously personal, but this is in my wheelhouse with a perfect balance of quality Virginia and Oriental and just the right amount of very defined and smokey-rich Latakia. Simply put, extremely satisfying. May have to sell an awful lot of other tobaccos that I have stored since this stuff will keep me from opening them unless I tire of it (doubtful). Great value, too, for what that's worth.

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (10)

Probably the best light English blend I've had. Great balance to it. I look for a Virgina component that is more earthy than sweet and sharp; for a blend where the oriental component is fairly prominent; and where the latakia serves more of a soft, supportive presence than a dominant player. This is it! It's now 1 of my staples and an all day blend for me. Earl

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bulk Blend Smack Down: This is a fantastic bulk buy! What stands out about this is the bang for the buck! The price point is a steal! For roughly 2.30/oz your getting a smoke that rivals many 4.00+ tins. This one was just on the cusps of a Lat bomb for me. I liked it. It could easily be an all day smoke. Mid bowl there was a bit of complexity in flavor profile, I really enjoyed that.

Very , very close to Dunhill's EMP, good flavor and that same "Lemon sour pucker".HOWEVER, the cut is not the same and it doesn't take the match as easy as EMP. It also doesn't burn as easy and requires slightly more attention. To me this resulted in a slight bite. As for flavor,this has some similarities to Larry's Blend, but not as smooth. I can buy this for $10 for 2 ozs. or EMP for 1.76 ozs at $9. I'd rather the EMP and or Larry's Blend.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

Russ Ouellette deserves some major praise for creating such great pipe tobacco blends. This is the third English-style blend I've tried in the pipesandcigars lineup and I enjoyed every bowl! I have never tried Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill, but if this is as similar as it claims to be, I can understand why pipe smokers became such devoted fans of Dunhill blends.

What makes this blend so great? It is perfectly balanced; about as well-balanced as any blend I've ever tried. The tobaccos all harmonize beautifully as you smoke it. The taste is smokey, woodsy, buttery, and it lingers in your mouth and nostrils for a short time after you smoke it. I received compliments on the room note and enjoyed walking back into the room after smoking this. It is an excellent blend to enjoy with a strong cup of English tea after a hearty breakfast in the morning. It also matches very well with a good beer - and all by itself, if you so choose! It smoked well in all the pipes I smoked it in (briar, meerschaum, and corn cob), provided a dry smoke, and burned down to a nice gray ash at the bottom. If you are wanting to begin smoking English blends, or if you are already a lover of English blends like I am, try this blend!

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very nice and enjoyable English/Oriental blend. The latakia is of medium strength/flavor and is nicely balanced with the other tobaccos, but not overwhelming. I really do like to smoke this in the morning. Strong enough in flavor and nicotine to get me going, I enjoy it with a nice cup of black coffee. A first class smnoke and good for all day too.

This is my second time smoking this blend and I am still impressed. I will be sure to get more in the futre. Recommended.

quempas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quempas (1)

I used to be a London Mixture smoker. What I prized about that blend was the way its distinctive elements worked together. Russ has achieved that same sort of triumph in Daybreak. I can taste the virginias, the Latakia, the orientals. But I can also taste and savor the blend as a whole. It takes a master blender to pull that off so well.

Mitland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitland (7)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tasted Daybreak along side a freshly opened tin of Orlik made EMP. Daybreak hinted at the dry, dense yet lean flavors of EMP. It however came up quite short, lacking EMP's spiciness whilst being a tad sweeter and smokier all the while remaining unimpressively bland. It just plainly lacked much flavor impact on the palate. A ho hum blend in my book. Better approximations found during my comparison tasting were McConnell's Oriental and McClellands's AM Pipe.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)

I have smoked many Dunhill blends over the years and EMP was always one of my favorites. I have found that most copies of older blends to be lacking and short of duplication of once favorites. However Daybreak is truly a superb blend and is another fantastic blend from Russ at Pipes and Cigars! I have quite a bit cellering and have been smoking this since it's inception. It's mild and delightful,no bite and all the components are well balanced. What I really like about Daybreak is that not one of the tobaccos attempts to overrule the others. It is well balanced and smokes well in any size bowl. I think some age would do it justice but it smokes fine the way it is. Russ was asked repeatedly by a Pipe Club to "Get it Right"! He continued to work this blend until they said-You got it!

Hey Russ-Great Job! You got it!! Thanks!