A blend of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos with a natural aroma enhanced by a subtle flavor.

Notes: Formally blended by Orlik and originally by HO & WO Wills. See HD & WD Wills for reviews of the original Capstan Gold Navy Cut

BrandCapstan
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren
4noggins.com
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

3.6

A lighter bodied and lighter colored cousin to the blue tin I smoked recently. Similar tin nose but this one had a bit more citrus and less spice. Both things showed up in the taste. This had more sweetness from the citrus and less of the blue's subtle spiciness - more high notes here, but not so high as to be screechy or annoying, as in some bright VA flakes.

Comparisons with other tobaccos are almost unavoidable. First, this also seemed a cross between Mac Barens VA flake and Dunhill Light Flake but moved closer (than the blue tin did) to the Dunhill fruitiness. Neither is overbearing on the fruit but the Dunhill provides an extra oomph from the spice that this one doesn't possess (the blue tin follows suit, more a bit more subtly). A second comparison is that I might have enjoyed this one more if I hadn't just smoked F&T's Cut Virginia Plug, which realizes the possibilities of a gold VA flake more perfectly for me. This was far from a bad blend, it was just a bit forgettable by comparison. If you have no such biases, try this one if you enjoy some fruit tang without wanting to go overboard, coupled with some light grassy flavor and more than just a hint of sugared something-or-other. It's not overblown on any of those things. In fact, it's pretty middle-of-the-road for me. I prefer the blue tin, but this is still a solid 3 star blend - just one I probably won't buy again.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Geez, reviewing this after DK seems a fool's errand.

I'll offer 4 stars as opposed to 3, though my thoughts are VERY much in alignment with DK - this is a slightly fruitier, slightly less bodied version of the Capstan. It's delicious and easy to get along with. I found it more interesting than OGS and better tasting with smoother edges than Cut Virginia Plug. CVP is great, this is.... pure and special somehow.

So, again, a great virginia, clean tasting, easy burning. A little one dimensional? Sure, and if you smoke this after something stronger it won't have much appeal. Clean pipe, clean palette, I can't think of many better offerings.

Pipe Used: all sorts - big, small, straight, bent

Similar Blends: Cut Virginia Plug, Orlik Golden Sliced, Tordenskjed.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (141)

This is one good flake. Nice stacks. Easy burning with minimal rubbing. Cool. Dry. Quite sweet in a good way.

Enjoyable and superior flavor. Reminds me of the old days with Edwards' Honey Cavendish, but this is a more meaty flake.

It's not as strong as Capstan blue lable, and is sweeter to me than new Dunhill Flake is. It is somewhat comparable to Orlik's golden slices (latter being more orangy).

However, it's ready rubbed sibling (gold label) smokes too hot to me. The flake is cool and for me. A desirable smoke.

A moderately sweet and mild easy to rub flake with a little sugar and citrus flavors complimenting the light Virginias. There's a light grass note present. A rather uncomplicated blend that burns well and even. It's comparable to Dunhill Flake, but with more sweetness and a little less citrus. There are several kinds of Virginias in the flake for a mild to medium balance of taste. This is the kind of blend I'd recommend to aromatic smokers who want to delve into straight Virginia blends without sacrificing the range of sweetness they are used to. It also works for the smoker who wants a gentle, sweet flavor without the earthy characteristics darker Virginias provide.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (145)

A beautiful mild,tasty flake that satisfies. What a delight. I can't contain my joy while smoking this. This is the McBaren version. Cool burning and extremely delicious with a lovely dry hay-like taste from the all lemon leaf. I enjoy this and the Blue equally. Why did we have to wait so long.

Update: The more I smoke this, the more I like it. I think this and the Blue are the blends I've been looking for all these years. These are my first 5 star blends.

Update: I find that a year of aging does wonders for this already excellent blend. Also excellent mixed 4 to 1 with Wessex Brown Virginia Flake.

After smoking the blue version flake I moved on to the yellow. Most everything said about the blue can be said about the yellow with regard to presentation, handling, smoking characteristics, etc. It is a bit lighter in the tin than the blue and its tin aroma is more on the bright side, but not extremely so. Some have said it reminds them of Orlik's Golden Sliced, but I would disagree on that one. For starters, this Capstan flake was darker in color and it lacked that characteristic tin note of GS; nor was there any present in the taste thankfully, as I quickly grew tired of that in the GS. Overall, the yellow-tinned flake was less spicy and not quite as full-tasting as the blue, however, it is still one superior smoke. Like the blue, I can smoke this one every day if need be. I enjoy both the blue and the yellow equally - sometimes mixing them. I enjoy that spiciness I described in the blue and the slightly fuller body to the smoke. As with the blue, a stellar, 5 star smoke. Hat's off to Mac Baren as both will be in my weekly rotation for sure and in my favorites category as well.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very pleasant and unexceptional Virginia flake. It is slightly sweet and has a citrus note that was constant for me through the bowl. It was an easy smoke for me - rubbed out easily, came at an appropriate level of moisture, took a match easily and was easy to keep lit. There is nothing complicated about it in the flavor profile either. It is good but not nuanced.

This is a very comfortable, reliable smoke for someone who likes a lighter Virginia. I could smoke this every day, but someone else would have to be buying. It works out to about $110 a pound, and that is too expensive for what you are getting.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Capstan Gold Label Navy Cut Virginian Tobacco Flake

Is a lighter version of the two and the aroma from the tin has a light ketchup smell to it not a bad smell mind you- the aroma did not carry over to the smoke flavor for me

The tobacco flakes have the same consistency of the blue label with near perfect moisture content easy to load and a joy to smoke !

The tobacco smoked well in all the pipes i tried it in. I really enjoyed this tobacco in my pipestone pipe which would be comparable to a long stem clay pipe. My pipe holds about 1/2 of a flake but yet if i smoke slowly i can get 45 minutes out of it burning it so slowly that it is almost like vaporizing

The flavor is smooth, delicate and has a natural light sweetness to it.

again

My 5 star rating = 4.5 out of 5

Pipe Used: ebony, pipestone, briar, meerschaum, olive wood

Purchased From: sutliff

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

An honest unpretentious tobacco, Gold Navy Cut is the same as Mild only in the more PC euro tin. A very fine quality leaf ranging from bright yellows to almost reds, a flake cut and uniform in the tin 2x3 inches if measurements are required.

In the past, I would pack and light straight from the tin, nowadays, I tend to dry out my tobacco's for about 24 hours before lighting. For this review, I opened a tin and air dried for an hour or so. Still rather moist for my ever changing taste, this still rubbed out well and took easily to the match, gentle puffing produced a slightly sweet fruity taste which soon dissipated and left me with a fine virginia and the occasional hint of Lemon or citrus, but only just. As I tend to smoke alone, I find the room note tolerable, that is, when I can smell anything.

I didn't note any huge voluminous clouds of smoke, but I never look for that anyway, being more interested in taste, flavour and strength, of which all three I find satisfying.

This is not a complex tobacco but nor is it a monochromatic smoke either. It will not bite unless pushed, and burns cool in the pipe after only moderate drying. I find this an excellent tobacco in warm and humid weather, particulaly first thing in the morning or at the end of day when I've been smoking too much of the stronger stuff and want "just one more pipe" before retiring.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (26)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I am not quite sure why, but I cannot help myself relating Capstan Gold Navy Cut with Erinmore Flake. In true honesty, they have nothing to do with each other, but there is something to it that relates them in the back of my head. This tobacco is supposed to be cased, but in contrast to the latter, I cannot detect any flavouring apart from the gorgeous Virginia. And there is nothing special about the tin note (it just smells like Virginia tobacco) that would indicate it was cased. The tobacco has a clear and distinctive sweetness to it and I cannot detect any tongue bite at all. As this is a straight Virginia and no Perique was added, I cannot detect any piquant/peppery characteristics either. This tobacco will evolve quite nicely in your bowl as you progress with your smoke, but, like any other Virginia, it is to be smoked at a very low pace so as to not break it. As I opened the tin, the moist content was just a little bit on the wet side, so I let my tobacco dry up a bit outside of the tin for a more satisfying smoking experience. The flakes will crumble easily in your hand and will pack nicely in your bowl. I particularly like the gold leaf appearance of the flakes and the way they have been pressed into finely cut slices. I don't think this is a high nicotine content tobacco, but it is very satisfying anyway. As I was progressing with my smoke, I found myself relighting every now and then, but I am OK with this as I usually like resting my pipe for a while. It does not smoke hot in your bowl and I'd say the taste is medium to full as you past halfway through your bowl. I find it particularly hard to say anything about the room note as I usually cannot smell it while I smoke it. Having said that, I'd say it is rather pleasant and not overwhelmingly present.

Pipe Used: Moretti

Age When Smoked: 1

Purchased From: A tobacconist in Spain

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (66)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This IS, one good flake. Three flakes wowed me this last year, this beauty is one of them. Light golden color, nicotine on the low side, wonderfully light taste—a zest of lemon grass for me. I smoked it folded and rubbed out, both methods were good. It lit well, and when folded it lasted a good long time in my pipe (I liked that). I would recommend this blend to someone who is relatively new to smoking a pipe and wishes to try a flake (you can't go wrong with this one).

If you like lighter tobacco's in flake form, this is a winner! I wish there were more tobaccos out there like this one. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Nording freehand

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (143)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, I get the classic smell for a Danish flake, figs and honey. The tobacco burns slowly and to a white ash from the tin. The taste is sweet with fig tones. A perfect all day flake that delivers a consistent flavor that might be boring for some but not for me. This is exactly what I want in a Danish style Virginia flake.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Amazing tin. Very beautiful and perfectly allocated flakes inside the tin. Visually winsomeness. I tried it in various ways (ground, whole flake, brocken flake, etc.). At first it struck me, probably influenced by its "historical" name. It is quite heavy, with a honey-like, stable flavor throughout the bowl. I wouldn't agree with the “subtle flavor” indicated by the manufacturer. It was hard to light in every way that I smoked it. It also needs to be left open to dry. Maybe in its earlier years this Virginia tasted better. Neutral flavor in the room and it causes no cough. I have another tin and I most certainly do not feel ashamed, anymore, of the reason that after 20 years of pipe smoking I had not tried it.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As can be gathered from my reviews of other VA flakes, I tend to like 'em. A lot.

Therefore, this tobacco, for me, has a bit of an unfortunate history; I bought a tin to replace my beloved Richmond Navy Cut after local tobacconists can no longer be bothered to supply it. Next thing I know, my tobacconist introduced Poul Ilsted's Own Golden Flake. It would be unsporting of me to compare against that blend, so I took a little time off before doing my write-up on the Gold Navy Cut.

Opening the tin, VA freshness dominates, and there is something fruity-sweet in there, probably the "subtle flavour" mentioned in the description. The flakes are of highly compressed leaf, so rubbing out is a must. That, however, is easily done; the tobacco is not too moist out of the tin.

Lighting the rubbed-out leaf is a single-char affair; the tobacco burns down quietly and slowly, giving typical VA taste and aroma. The flavour mentioned by the advertising eludes me; I cannot really make it out when smoking, though I can detect it in the tin aroma.

Nothing but ashes remain in the bowl, and all in all, this is rather good tobacco I can recommend to VA smokers. I'd probably smoke it more often if there weren't that other tin right next to it at my tobacconist's...

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: DanPipe

Similar Blends: Poul Ilsted's Own Golden Flake, Dunhill Flake, Kriswill Medium Flake.

nesta Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nesta (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In search of a great VA, I recently sought recommendations. I got them. As a result, I ended up buying a tin of Capstan Gold Navy Cut nine days ago. Currently, the very last of it is burning in a reasonably large bent billiard/brandy BST. The tin code suggests this was tinned in 2013.

Simply put, this is a fantastic blend. It is everything I thought I was looking for in a VA: mild-medium body, super sweet, high quality leaf, easy to work with, easy burning, and delicious. It delivers all of these and more, and I can't overstate the sweetness. I taste little to no added aromatic quality to this blend, but this has to be the single sweetest non-aromatic blend I have ever smoked. Full stop.

The flakes arrived at the perfect moisture level to smoke with little or no drying. They look clean, crisp, immaculate. They are insanely easy to rub out, and work just great for folding-and-stuffing. I can get about an hour of smoke from a rubbed up half flake generally, or a much longer smoke by folding the whole thing up and stuffing it in a pipe. My longest smoke with this stuff was a whole flake at around two hours. And the flavor, sweetness, everything only got better as the bowl went on.

This isn't the mildest tobacco I've ever smoked, but it certainly has a crisp, light, bright flavor. It is closer to a medium strength tobacco in terms of nicotine than the very mild flavor would suggest, but it certainly isn't a full-on medium; it's just a touch stronger than one might initially suspect based on appearance and flavor.

The room note is pleasant as these things go, but again it's not an aromatic.

I was so smitten by the stuff right off the bat that I initially thought I might want to smoke nothing else until I was done with the tin. It turns out that while this is a fantastic blend, I couldn't maintain the discipline to do that. The sweetness is lovely with this blend, but it also is a limiting factor in determining how much of the stuff I can actually smoke. That said, in order to get a really good feel for this blend, I did smoke at least one bowl of this every day until I ran out - usually more. If smoked too much, though, the sweetness tends to start to fatigue me, and I start getting a touch of bite. I could see myself being content to smoke only this blend if I only smoked once every day or two, but as it stands I am not. Early in the morning, or after a long evening of too much tobacco, this blend isn't always actually what I want. That said, it is probably the best example of the kind of tobacco I was seeking. It's got really clear, light VA taste with sugar galore, and when I'm in the mood this is simply a breathtaking, stunning blend. But I am simply not always in the mood, and sometimes I need something less sweet or with more weight to it in terms of flavor if not in terms of nicotine.

This isn't a cheap tobacco, but neither is it prohibitively expensive. I could definitely see buying some tins of this to age, or to just keep on hand for when I want a special, sweet, plain Virginia. The only drawback to this tobacco, if it's fair to call this a drawback, is that I couldn't smoke this all day. It's just too rich in sweetness. Which is also it's great strength in terms of being a more occasional, special-treat smoke.

I plan on trying the Capstan Original next, having heard it has just a touch more body and a touch less sweetness, but I'm extremely glad to have tried this blend, and I imagine this won't be the last tin I ever buy of this.

This tin was smoked over the course of nine days from a variety of pipes, including a few different briar pipes, a brand new Falcon (which I have broken in with this), and a Barling meerschaum. I didn't find drying to be especially advantageous, but it did help with avoiding dottle in larger pipes.

For me, this isn't an all-day every-day blend, but I have to give it full marks on every front except price. It could be less pricey, but this is one case in which I think the quality can justify an extra two or three dollars per tin. Extremely highly recommended.

pipedrum22 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipedrum22 (15)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I smoked this flake side by side with it's more stronger brother, the original Capstan. This blend has a bit more sweetness to it and less nicotine than the original Capstan. I would best describe it as a very light Virginia flake with noticeable honey, fig, and natural Viriginia notes found throughout the smoke. Like its brother, I suggest letting it sit for 5 minutes before smoking it so it can dry a bit. This is definitely an easy-going and all day smoke. Highly recommend it.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Opening a 1 year old tin I was greeted with thin, wide pressed flakes in gold and brown colors. There was a fermented tangy odor as the tin was opened. A deeper sniff showcased grassy notes and a sweet lemon-like citrus smell. The moisture level was just about perfect for me, and an unlit sip brought a light sweetness through the stem. The initial light tasted of hay and a darker sweetness than before. Overall there were light citrus notes with a dark sweetness in each puff. Every so often I would get a grassy note or a hint of hay, a pretty straightforward Virginia I think. The aftertaste lasted a little while, and the room was left smelling pleasant and toasty. I enjoyed this blend and think it showcases everything I enjoy about certain Virginia blends. I’d recommend this blend to anyone who likes a straightforward and light Virginia flake.

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (61)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

Wow!....a straight Va. that smokes with sweetness and spiceness, I am pleasantly suprised.

Tin presentation is impeccable, more bright colored leaf than OGS, well pressed and uniform in cut.

Smell is hayish, but sweet- cant identify any casing myself, like say University Flake or Erinmore.

If respected my patience pays off with sweet sugary sips early to mid bowl. I do get peppeey spice toward.the end-not unlike I taste with perique in a blend.Of course it can burn and bite but I rub it out well and pack it firm. Highly recommended from someone not hyper-fond of straight anything in the baccy realm.

Pipe Used: Sav Bent

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars.com

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (116)

This is a mild, golden Virginia flake with notes of natural sweetness and hay. Has more going for it than MacB's VA Flake, but not quite as sweet and satisfying as MacB's Virginia No 1. Still, it's hard to criticize a blend that has so much light colored VAs that doesn't bite.

I like it, but the Cap Blue has a little more going for it.

Govern Yourself Accordingly

Pipe Used: Radice Twin Bore Dublin

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Southfield, MI

Similar Blends: MacBaren Virginia Flake, Dunhill Flake.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

With a slow smoking I really enjoy my smoking experience with this blend. When I pack it into my Stanwell 163 sand, it is really easy to pack, burn slowly and with consistent taste and flavour. I really enjoy this blend from 1st light until I finish the whole bowl.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My tin was marked as made in Denmark by MacBaren in 3/13 and this is one of their more enjoyable flakes even though it hadn't aged much. As usual, the flakes are nicely prepared and ~ 3" long. The moisture content is ideal and makes the flakes pliable for my fold and pack method. It burns cool and dry and the sweet VAs come thru. If you like VA flakes, give it a try.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)

One of the few baccas i can get locally, altso one of my summertime favourites. A quite straight virginia, but not boring or bland. I rub it out for smoking but great as is.Tastes amazing, but does not tip over to extraordinary so only 3 stars.

Recommended for everyone.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

I perfectly agree with Sgt Pepper.

This is a very mild, pleasant and soft golden virginia in perfectly made flakes. The flavoring is mild, just as it should.

Go for 1-2 hours of pleasure (depending on the bowl) with a pleasant room note.

Not especially an evening tobacco, but a very pleasant one indeed.

Different, but can be compared to Orlik Golden Slice, although I prefer the real flake here.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)

In my opinion this one is even better than original navy cut.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Fresh opened tin, I did not like it. A little bit harsh and boring. The tin size however being very practical I used it for some flakes I got in a pouch.

Coming back to this flake in it's zipperbag after a year I was pleasantly surprised.

Verdict: quite nice!

Update may 2011 It's growing on me... 2nd tin, smoked quite well straight away without drying, just fold and stuff a flake in my Upshall churchwarden, or half a flake rubbed a bit and rolled into a ball. Still not a favourite, but a nice diversion in this months rotation of MVF, Negrohead and Onyx.

SergentPepper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SergentPepper (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

1-I agree with many reviewers: this tobacco is not spectacular. But... For that very reason, it's a great tobacco if you need something very simple sometimes: pure Virgina. 2-Another way I use it: I mix this tobacco (2/3) with "Pure Latakia" by Robert McConnell (1/3). For me, its' a wonderful balance as I love Latakia being present in a mixture. Give it a try :-)

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Gold Navy Cut or "Yellow Capstan" is probably the most plain Virginia I've tasted. Nothing bad to say about it really, but nothing exciting either. It is totally in the middle of the road all the way around.

There's a good deal of natural sugar in these VA's, so puff with a little care. I usually rub it out totally, it's just the way I find these flakes to smoke the best. Upon opening the tin - perfect moisture level, rubbed out and then a fifteen minute drying time...ready to go! But the tin doesn't seal all that well, so unless you smoke this regularly it will dry out within a couple of months.

Medium nicotine, medium taste. Unnoticeable room note but a nice wheaty smell in the tin. No surprises throughout hence it gets a little boring in the long run.

As always very high quality tobacco from Orlik Ltd. So if you are a Virgina lover, I guess you oughtta check this classic tobacco out. It's been around for decades and decades, so I guess it has something going for it.

PS. The tin itself is amazing as it fits right in the shirt pocket, or even in the back pocket of your jeans. Well any pocket for that matter. The shape and size is just very handy, so I actually use an old yellow tin for my fave tobacco's on the go.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

The high quality leaf shows itself with its wonderfull smell in the tin. The flakes have a medium moisture degree. So you may dry them at your own choice. This will change the smoke in a nice way.

I smoke this tobacco without rubbing the flakes. In this way it offers a long lasting smoke. If you are looking for a strong Virginia flake this may not satisfy your needs. The mild to medium nicotine dosage and cool, fresh smoking makes this tobacco ideal for summer days.

The flavor is a true tobacco, sweety taste. Highly recommended..