A blend of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos with a natural aroma enhanced by a subtle flavor.

Notes: Formally blended by Orlik and originally by HO & WO Wills. See HD & WD Wills for reviews of the original Capstan Gold Navy Cut

BrandCapstan
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren
4noggins.com
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

3.6

A lighter bodied and lighter colored cousin to the blue tin I smoked recently. Similar tin nose but this one had a bit more citrus and less spice. Both things showed up in the taste. This had more sweetness from the citrus and less of the blue's subtle spiciness - more high notes here, but not so high as to be screechy or annoying, as in some bright VA flakes.

Comparisons with other tobaccos are almost unavoidable. First, this also seemed a cross between Mac Barens VA flake and Dunhill Light Flake but moved closer (than the blue tin did) to the Dunhill fruitiness. Neither is overbearing on the fruit but the Dunhill provides an extra oomph from the spice that this one doesn't possess (the blue tin follows suit, more a bit more subtly). A second comparison is that I might have enjoyed this one more if I hadn't just smoked F&T's Cut Virginia Plug, which realizes the possibilities of a gold VA flake more perfectly for me. This was far from a bad blend, it was just a bit forgettable by comparison. If you have no such biases, try this one if you enjoy some fruit tang without wanting to go overboard, coupled with some light grassy flavor and more than just a hint of sugared something-or-other. It's not overblown on any of those things. In fact, it's pretty middle-of-the-road for me. I prefer the blue tin, but this is still a solid 3 star blend - just one I probably won't buy again.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

This is one good flake. Nice stacks. Easy burning with minimal rubbing. Cool. Dry. Quite sweet in a good way.

Enjoyable and superior flavor. Reminds me of the old days with Edwards' Honey Cavendish, but this is a more meaty flake.

It's not as strong as Capstan blue lable, and is sweeter to me than new Dunhill Flake is. It is somewhat comparable to Orlik's golden slices (latter being more orangy).

However, it's ready rubbed sibling (gold label) smokes too hot to me. The flake is cool and for me. A desirable smoke.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Geez, reviewing this after DK seems a fool's errand.

I'll offer 4 stars as opposed to 3, though my thoughts are VERY much in alignment with DK - this is a slightly fruitier, slightly less bodied version of the Capstan. It's delicious and easy to get along with. I found it more interesting than OGS and better tasting with smoother edges than Cut Virginia Plug. CVP is great, this is.... pure and special somehow.

So, again, a great virginia, clean tasting, easy burning. A little one dimensional? Sure, and if you smoke this after something stronger it won't have much appeal. Clean pipe, clean palette, I can't think of many better offerings.

Pipe Used: all sorts - big, small, straight, bent

Similar Blends: Cut Virginia Plug, Orlik Golden Sliced, Tordenskjed.

A moderately sweet and mild easy to rub flake with a little sugar and citrus flavors complimenting the light Virginias. There's a light grass note present. A rather uncomplicated blend that burns well and even. It's comparable to Dunhill Flake, but with more sweetness and a little less citrus. There are several kinds of Virginias in the flake for a mild to medium balance of taste. This is the kind of blend I'd recommend to aromatic smokers who want to delve into straight Virginia blends without sacrificing the range of sweetness they are used to. It also works for the smoker who wants a gentle, sweet flavor without the earthy characteristics darker Virginias provide.

After smoking the blue version flake I moved on to the yellow. Most everything said about the blue can be said about the yellow with regard to presentation, handling, smoking characteristics, etc. It is a bit lighter in the tin than the blue and its tin aroma is more on the bright side, but not extremely so. Some have said it reminds them of Orlik's Golden Sliced, but I would disagree on that one. For starters, this Capstan flake was darker in color and it lacked that characteristic tin note of GS; nor was there any present in the taste thankfully, as I quickly grew tired of that in the GS. Overall, the yellow-tinned flake was less spicy and not quite as full-tasting as the blue, however, it is still one superior smoke. Like the blue, I can smoke this one every day if need be. I enjoy both the blue and the yellow equally - sometimes mixing them. I enjoy that spiciness I described in the blue and the slightly fuller body to the smoke. As with the blue, a stellar, 5 star smoke. Hat's off to Mac Baren as both will be in my weekly rotation for sure and in my favorites category as well.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very pleasant and unexceptional Virginia flake. It is slightly sweet and has a citrus note that was constant for me through the bowl. It was an easy smoke for me - rubbed out easily, came at an appropriate level of moisture, took a match easily and was easy to keep lit. There is nothing complicated about it in the flavor profile either. It is good but not nuanced.

This is a very comfortable, reliable smoke for someone who likes a lighter Virginia. I could smoke this every day, but someone else would have to be buying. It works out to about $110 a pound, and that is too expensive for what you are getting.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (66)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Capstan Gold Label Navy Cut Virginian Tobacco Flake

Is a lighter version of the two and the aroma from the tin has a light ketchup smell to it not a bad smell mind you- the aroma did not carry over to the smoke flavor for me

The tobacco flakes have the same consistency of the blue label with near perfect moisture content easy to load and a joy to smoke !

The tobacco smoked well in all the pipes i tried it in. I really enjoyed this tobacco in my pipestone pipe which would be comparable to a long stem clay pipe. My pipe holds about 1/2 of a flake but yet if i smoke slowly i can get 45 minutes out of it burning it so slowly that it is almost like vaporizing

The flavor is smooth, delicate and has a natural light sweetness to it.

again

My 5 star rating = 4.5 out of 5

Pipe Used: ebony, pipestone, briar, meerschaum, olive wood

Purchased From: sutliff

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (136)

A beautiful mild,tasty flake that satisfies. What a delight. I can't contain my joy while smoking this. This is the McBaren version. Cool burning and extremely delicious with a lovely dry hay-like taste from the all lemon leaf. I enjoy this and the Blue equally. Why did we have to wait so long.

Update: The more I smoke this, the more I like it. I think this and the Blue are the blends I've been looking for all these years. These are my first 5 star blends.

Update2: This has become my everyday favorite. I rub out the flakes completely, then add 3% perique for a little spice. This is a mild blend that satisfies and leaves a light taste on your tongue.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (124)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, I get the classic smell for a Danish flake, figs and honey. The tobacco burns slowly and to a white ash from the tin. The taste is sweet with fig tones. A perfect all day flake that delivers a consistent flavor that might be boring for some but not for me. This is exactly what I want in a Danish style Virginia flake.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As can be gathered from my reviews of other VA flakes, I tend to like 'em. A lot.

Therefore, this tobacco, for me, has a bit of an unfortunate history; I bought a tin to replace my beloved Richmond Navy Cut after local tobacconists can no longer be bothered to supply it. Next thing I know, my tobacconist introduced Poul Ilsted's Own Golden Flake. It would be unsporting of me to compare against that blend, so I took a little time off before doing my write-up on the Gold Navy Cut.

Opening the tin, VA freshness dominates, and there is something fruity-sweet in there, probably the "subtle flavour" mentioned in the description. The flakes are of highly compressed leaf, so rubbing out is a must. That, however, is easily done; the tobacco is not too moist out of the tin.

Lighting the rubbed-out leaf is a single-char affair; the tobacco burns down quietly and slowly, giving typical VA taste and aroma. The flavour mentioned by the advertising eludes me; I cannot really make it out when smoking, though I can detect it in the tin aroma.

Nothing but ashes remain in the bowl, and all in all, this is rather good tobacco I can recommend to VA smokers. I'd probably smoke it more often if there weren't that other tin right next to it at my tobacconist's...

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

An honest unpretentious tobacco, Gold Navy Cut is the same as Mild only in the more PC euro tin. A very fine quality leaf ranging from bright yellows to almost reds, a flake cut and uniform in the tin 2x3 inches if measurements are required.

In the past, I would pack and light straight from the tin, nowadays, I tend to dry out my tobacco's for about 24 hours before lighting. For this review, I opened a tin and air dried for an hour or so. Still rather moist for my ever changing taste, this still rubbed out well and took easily to the match, gentle puffing produced a slightly sweet fruity taste which soon dissipated and left me with a fine virginia and the occasional hint of Lemon or citrus, but only just. As I tend to smoke alone, I find the room note tolerable, that is, when I can smell anything.

I didn't note any huge voluminous clouds of smoke, but I never look for that anyway, being more interested in taste, flavour and strength, of which all three I find satisfying.

This is not a complex tobacco but nor is it a monochromatic smoke either. It will not bite unless pushed, and burns cool in the pipe after only moderate drying. I find this an excellent tobacco in warm and humid weather, particulaly first thing in the morning or at the end of day when I've been smoking too much of the stronger stuff and want "just one more pipe" before retiring.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

Wow!....a straight Va. that smokes with sweetness and spiceness, I am pleasantly suprised.

Tin presentation is impeccable, more bright colored leaf than OGS, well pressed and uniform in cut.

Smell is hayish, but sweet- cant identify any casing myself, like say University Flake or Erinmore.

If respected my patience pays off with sweet sugary sips early to mid bowl. I do get peppeey spice toward.the end-not unlike I taste with perique in a blend.Of course it can burn and bite but I rub it out well and pack it firm. Highly recommended from someone not hyper-fond of straight anything in the baccy realm.

Pipe Used: Sav Bent

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars.com

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

This is a mild, golden Virginia flake with notes of natural sweetness and hay. Has more going for it than MacB's VA Flake, but not quite as sweet and satisfying as MacB's Virginia No 1. Still, it's hard to criticize a blend that has so much light colored VAs that doesn't bite.

I like it, but the Cap Blue has a little more going for it.

Govern Yourself Accordingly

Pipe Used: Radice Twin Bore Dublin

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Southfield, MI

Similar Blends: MacBaren Virginia Flake, Dunhill Flake.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

With a slow smoking I really enjoy my smoking experience with this blend. When I pack it into my Stanwell 163 sand, it is really easy to pack, burn slowly and with consistent taste and flavour. I really enjoy this blend from 1st light until I finish the whole bowl.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My tin was marked as made in Denmark by MacBaren in 3/13 and this is one of their more enjoyable flakes even though it hadn't aged much. As usual, the flakes are nicely prepared and ~ 3" long. The moisture content is ideal and makes the flakes pliable for my fold and pack method. It burns cool and dry and the sweet VAs come thru. If you like VA flakes, give it a try.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)

One of the few baccas i can get locally, altso one of my summertime favourites. A quite straight virginia, but not boring or bland. I rub it out for smoking but great as is.Tastes amazing, but does not tip over to extraordinary so only 3 stars.

Recommended for everyone.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

I perfectly agree with Sgt Pepper.

This is a very mild, pleasant and soft golden virginia in perfectly made flakes. The flavoring is mild, just as it should.

Go for 1-2 hours of pleasure (depending on the bowl) with a pleasant room note.

Not especially an evening tobacco, but a very pleasant one indeed.

Different, but can be compared to Orlik Golden Slice, although I prefer the real flake here.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)

In my opinion this one is even better than original navy cut.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Fresh opened tin, I did not like it. A little bit harsh and boring. The tin size however being very practical I used it for some flakes I got in a pouch.

Coming back to this flake in it's zipperbag after a year I was pleasantly surprised.

Verdict: quite nice!

Update may 2011 It's growing on me... 2nd tin, smoked quite well straight away without drying, just fold and stuff a flake in my Upshall churchwarden, or half a flake rubbed a bit and rolled into a ball. Still not a favourite, but a nice diversion in this months rotation of MVF, Negrohead and Onyx.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Amazing tin. Very beautiful and perfectly allocated flakes inside the tin. Visually winsomeness. I tried it in various ways (ground, whole flake, brocken flake, etc.). At first it struck me, probably influenced by its "historical" name. It is quite heavy, with a honey-like, stable flavor throughout the bowl. I wouldn't agree with the “subtle flavor” indicated by the manufacturer. It was hard to light in every way that I smoked it. It also needs to be left open to dry. Maybe in its earlier years this Virginia tasted better. Neutral flavor in the room and it causes no cough. I have another tin and I most certainly do not feel ashamed, anymore, of the reason that after 20 years of pipe smoking I had not tried it.

SergentPepper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SergentPepper (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

1-I agree with many reviewers: this tobacco is not spectacular. But... For that very reason, it's a great tobacco if you need something very simple sometimes: pure Virgina. 2-Another way I use it: I mix this tobacco (2/3) with "Pure Latakia" by Robert McConnell (1/3). For me, its' a wonderful balance as I love Latakia being present in a mixture. Give it a try :-)

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Gold Navy Cut or "Yellow Capstan" is probably the most plain Virginia I've tasted. Nothing bad to say about it really, but nothing exciting either. It is totally in the middle of the road all the way around.

There's a good deal of natural sugar in these VA's, so puff with a little care. I usually rub it out totally, it's just the way I find these flakes to smoke the best. Upon opening the tin - perfect moisture level, rubbed out and then a fifteen minute drying time...ready to go! But the tin doesn't seal all that well, so unless you smoke this regularly it will dry out within a couple of months.

Medium nicotine, medium taste. Unnoticeable room note but a nice wheaty smell in the tin. No surprises throughout hence it gets a little boring in the long run.

As always very high quality tobacco from Orlik Ltd. So if you are a Virgina lover, I guess you oughtta check this classic tobacco out. It's been around for decades and decades, so I guess it has something going for it.

PS. The tin itself is amazing as it fits right in the shirt pocket, or even in the back pocket of your jeans. Well any pocket for that matter. The shape and size is just very handy, so I actually use an old yellow tin for my fave tobacco's on the go.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

The high quality leaf shows itself with its wonderfull smell in the tin. The flakes have a medium moisture degree. So you may dry them at your own choice. This will change the smoke in a nice way.

I smoke this tobacco without rubbing the flakes. In this way it offers a long lasting smoke. If you are looking for a strong Virginia flake this may not satisfy your needs. The mild to medium nicotine dosage and cool, fresh smoking makes this tobacco ideal for summer days.

The flavor is a true tobacco, sweety taste. Highly recommended..