A Scottish blend, made from ready rubbed, matured Virginia and golden brown Burleys, to which Cavendish and loose Virginia has been added. A mild and light aromatic blend.

BrandMac Baren

2.9
musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Boy, is this tobacco a vicious cycle for me. The thing is I really like the flavor, I like it a lot. I like the packaging, I like the aroma, I like the cut, I like almost everything about this blend. The thing I don't like about this blend is the fact that it makes my mouth feel like I have been chewing on glass. Talk about bite. I am not a person that is usually very susceptible to tongue bite, but something about this blend just does not agree with my body chemistry.

I have read somewhere that this is one of, if not the most sold pipe tobacco blends in the world. If this is true I can understand why. Quality product, great taste and pretty light and smooth. I feel any pipe smoker at any level can enjoy this blend, if it does not remove the inner lining of their mouth like it does mine.

Every year or so I say to myself "gee, I really like the taste of that Scottish blend, and even though last time smoking it was akin to corporal punishment, it has aged another year and it has probably mellowed and become as gentle as a lamb" I then proceed to light up a bowl and have my gaping maw feel like the bowels of hell.

If you can smoke it, you will most certainly enjoy it, but don't buy a pound of this innocuous little blend until you have given it a test run first.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi 320

Age When Smoked: Purchased in 2008

Because it's a complex medium blend aromatic with a variety of flavors, I had to smoke a lot of it before gaging how to describe this one. I didn't mind doing that because the more I smoked it, the more I liked it. Sometimes the Kentucky in the blend is more evident than other times, but no matter how present it is or isn't, it relays a very tasty spice note that contrasts nicely with creamy flavors. I don't know what kind of liquor topping it has, but it's pleasant and compliments the mild sweetness of the blend with a fruit and honey taste. And the cavendish hints of a mild sweet taste that works well with the topping. The burley is choice, with a little nutty mild earthy touch. The Virginia is slightly sweet and woodsy, with perhaps a touch of citrus, and creates a solid base for the other flavors. Occasionally, one bowlful will taste a little different from another, but that's due to how you pack it, and whether or not one component is more present in your pipe than other times. I like that.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I remmeber smoking SB back in the 80's the blend was a bit richer then newer version. I think it contained a bit of Oriental and a dash of Latakia. The newer version only rates three stars as where the older version rated four stars. This is best in a small bowl is tends to smoke hot. I find this is the type of blend that is better with shoter and few puffs. You the smoke will get more sataitsfaction from the room note. A good warm weather blend. Overall enjoyable the nictoine level is right and the cut will burn better with a quick rubbing. Still a good smoke Very close to Ed Burak Scottish Ribbon but SB has more aroma and flavor. And Scottish Ribbon bunred much hotter. If I had a choice I would choose SB

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (24)

I smoked this back in the 80s and had it again in the early 2000s. It was richer and spicier before! Its not a bad blend now however, actually it's quite good. Its mellow with a nice room note. Has a dark taste to it, kinda n d of like a vanilla spice with rum or whisky in the mix. Not overly sweet, just right. Burns clean and don't leave a goofy mess in your pipe. It gets sweeter about 3 to 5 min into a bowl and finishes stronger with more kick. I like this blend. It smells good when smoked, and out of the tin, has Inc color and variety. Looks like a typical Danish blend to me and is even lightly sweet like a real Danish. A real Danish would be the old Skandanavk in the blue tin. That was so pretty and good! This reminds me of that without the cherry note. Don't power puff this or any Mac b blend it will bite! These type blends are for an experienced palette! Most va, va per, and anything shredded or sliced will bite and get hot if rushed. This is no different, although it don't heat up like dark twist and plumcake does. If you been smoking over a y ear and are tired of syrupy aromatics, and want an all day sweet smoke with a nice sweet aroma this is it!

Just a few add ons about this blend, it stays cool if smoked a bit slower and packed tight. This is a good tobacco, has many flavors and is quite rich. It's not too sweet and it's very enjoyable. It has good nic kick too and almost borders a straight medium in strength.

Pipe Used: Italian no name and Saseni 4 dot natural.

Purchased From: Holts

Similar Blends: Scandinavik Blue Aeromatic, , Wessex Mellow aroma..

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Watch out for this one, she's a biter!

Decent room note, the flavor was quite good, and it did provide a slight dose of nicotine, which I don't mind. I would have probably given it three stars, but it bit my tongue like a rabid dog. I realize tongue bite can differ from person to person, but I can't imagine this one not biting all who smoke it. Decent tobacco, two stars.

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another Mac Baren I thoroughly enjoy. I smoke this in a rotation with Plum cake, and its a nice treat. smells good, in the bag and lit, though others around me are not as fond of it as I am. can bite if puffed too hard or if its not been given some time to air (I found, that is).

Spitfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spitfire (2)

Je fume la pipe depuis 12ans. mixture scottish blend est un tabac journalier merveilleux qui est mon tabac numéro 1 depuis tres longtemps de part sa richesse et sa facilité ,un tabac subtilement aromatique au goût miellé avec une odeur de thé ....Virginie Macbaren , au gout de tabac doux et naturel .Je recommande fortement se grand tabac meilleur en 100,ou 250 grammes .

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

McB. Mixture, Scottish Blend … After my positive experience with McB's Golden Extra, it just seemed the logical next step to give this blend a shoot, after all SB is billed as one of the best selling tobacco blends in the world. How could I resist.

My tobacco came in a 100g tin, dated 10/10, about 9 months old. The tobacco color is brown and yellow and a sprinkle of black, looks and smells good enough to eat. Its moisture level was on the dry side, and for the most part (IMO) fully rubbed out and ready for the bowl. So with no further adjusting, I fired up a pipe full. The first few puffs seemed a little rough, but it quickly settled down to a mild to medium strength smoke. At this point I experienced no bite, and minimum harshness, just a nice smooth, hard to describe, but pleasant tobacco taste. Smoked with some basic technique (slower) SB offers the smoker as many flavors nuances as you're willing “sip” for, plenty smoke and IMO it's an overall satisfying blend. Probably not for the hardcore, but for the rest of us, I feel its well worth the reasonable asking price. My personal rating 4+/5

HPFlashman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HPFlashman (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Just popped open a 250 gram tin of this and have had a couple of bowls in two different pipes.

This is very nice blend, when I opened the tin a good whiff of sweetness and hay struck against the nostrils. I was somewhat leery to go for the 250 gram tin but thats what it came in and I was keen to try out the assortment from the airport and this was the last of the tobaccos that they have, which I had not tried. I can really see this tobacco being in heavy rotation on a day to day basis. At Norwegian Tax-free prices, it was rather cheap and Oo, so tasty.

I have not had more than two bowls of it, one in a meerlined, smallish Alco bowl and one in my vintage Hardcastle. The meer lined introduced a very licoriceshy taste but with a clear undertone of the Virginia "hayiness", in the Briar bowl I got more of the Virginian taste, but with a licoricseshy undertone, a strange swap of notes but both was very likeable.

The tobacco itself is rather fine cut, which led me to be somewhat leery of it on sight alone, it is almost coarse RYO fine in the tin. Taking up a pinch, it was clear that the look is somewhat decceving as the fine cut are quite high/broad, even so it packs easy by the Frank method, straight from the tin. Burns cold in both bowls, and straight true the bowl.

The tobacco feels slightly wet, but it is not noticeable when lighted and smoked.

For a day to day smoke, I recommend this tobbaco highly.

I will revisit the review from time to time and make additional notes, when I find it neccesary.

Pipe Used: Hardcastle Jack O`London, Alco Meer lined bowl

Age When Smoked: month

Purchased From: Tax-free shop, Gardermoen Airport

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Actually an excellent mixture, sorry to say this about a MB :) There is a casing, it's really there throughout the bowl, and it changes throughout the bowl, as suggested on the pouch. Definitely an all-day smoke, and well worth the money. 4.5/5

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Tin note is mouth watering; lots of honey. Unfortunately the tin note does not really affect the smoke in any way.

It is a mild, harmless, generic blend. Nice room note and nose smell when the smoke hits my nose, but neutral in taste.

I can see why it gets so many good reviews and I can definitely see why many would make this an every day smoke. As for myself, I will smoke the tin I have without any trouble and move on. Too neutral for me.

camillako Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
camillako (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like all the aromatics I've tried, the aroma off the tin is great but the real proof comes at smoking time.

After a couple of horrible experiences with some other MB aromatics who's bite was too much for me, this one was somewhat smokeable due to a pleasant coating effect and dense smoke at the beginning of each draw. There's bite in it too and that's a no-no.

I'm left wondering how many people give up the beautiful world of pipesmoking due to the bite and hot temperature of your average, readily available aromatic tobacco.

I can't help but think that if a mild cool burning english mixture was as common as a mac baren vanilla, we'd see more people enjoying the pipe!

in the end perhaps it's worth a try for a soft entry into aromatic tobaccoes.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (55)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a great aromatic blend. I really enjoy the complexity of this blend. It will not bite and is one of a very few aromatics that I really enjoy. It smokes dry and although the depth of flavors are subtle it is a very interesting smoke. The wife does not hate this one either. I would love to pick up a lb. at some point but I really don't know if aging will hurt it (I don't think it will help as the flavors are mild as it is).

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)

I understand why some people struggle with this one biting. I was bitten at first too. But after a few bowls over a couple weeks, I learned to really love this one. The tin note is truly wonderful, and is what kept me coming back to this blend even after I was scared of the bite. If you want it to taste like it smells, then sip it slowly like a young blended scotch whisky (Teachers comes to mind.) The grainy, honey-toast flavors are very satisfying. (Interestingly, I can't get it to bite anymore even if I try.)

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this blend. Smells great right out of the tin, with a nice aroma that I've likened to nice virginia. The virginia is stronger than the burley, but the burley is there to taste now and again. The tobacco looks nice, packs great and just smells great puff to puff. I always get compliments on the smoke from others with this one, and if I think of scottish blends, I compare it to the look and aroma of this MacBaren blend. It was one of my first scottish type blends and still my one of my favorites.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

This was my first tobacco, smoked three 50g pouches of this as this is the only tobacco widely available around here. Then i went on to other tobaccos to expand my tastes. Yesterday i picked up a 100g tin again and it still gives me that wonderful taste and perfect moisture straight from the tin. Give it a quick rub and packs like a dream, few relights and little or no toungebite for me. Great smoke any time at day, gets a solid highly recommended from me.

Bucky19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bucky19 (13)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

i like this tobacco it was the first tin that i smoked. it dint bite at all for me but at the time i smoked this alot i smoked a ton of aromatics that bit like crazy so i was used to it maybe. this is a really nice easy smoking blend that is well priced and a big tin. i would find a buddy with an open tin because if you hate it you will be stuck with 100g. all around i like it, it almost has a honey smell to it. the one thing is that it does have a bit of a cig smell/taste but if you can get past that you can smoke it all day

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)

When I first opened the tin I was unsure if I wanted to smoke it or eat it, it smells that good. My wife was near me when I opened it and smiled and laughed at my initial comment. As she described it was "oh yes", in a soft husky voice.

I love this blend, the aroma is amazing and although it was on the moist side, I had no trouble with lighting and no relights have been needed so far.

This blend falls into my "special treat" category as I'm only buying it as a reward to myself.

I highly reccomend this blend.

asmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
asmoke (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the first tin tobaccos that I smoked. It is very pleasant. It can get away from you if you tend to smoke things hot. The moisture content is a little high on opening. I experienced some of the bite that others have mentioned, but drying a little has helped quite a bit in that dept. If you smoke this slow, it will reward you with a lot of different flavors, smoke it faster than you should and you'll probably get bit. This is in my regular rotation. I would also recommend this as a bridge for those moving away from aromatics.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this stuff, but I have to be very careful with it, I always tend to burn my mouth. Still it has a nice VA, burley flavor, I lose the cavendish in this blend, there isn't enough for me to taste it's distinctive sweetness apart from the VAs. Overall it's a good pouch to grab if you are traveling and you need to pick up something to smoke, but I would really say it's ever going to become one of my regular smokes.

IrishCanadian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IrishCanadian (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I am still new to pipe smoking as I have only been going for about a year now but MY GOD do I love this blend. I am still experimenting and was smoking alot of aromatics when I purchased this. This is nothing like an aromatic.

The taste is great and it burned great. The roomnote according to the wife was similar to cigarettes so i would say tolerable.

This is one of my favorite smokes. This tobacco, a beautiful burley blend and University flake are my favorite tobaccos. These got me away from the aromatics and I am very glad.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (132)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I recently acquired a 100 g tin of this fine blend. As others have noted, this has a honey smell out of the tin. A great presentation in the tin. This has a perfect moisture level right at the opening of the tin and stays that way for some time after opening. Packing and lighting are easy and this blend needed little effort to keep lit. All the tobaccos are married quite well for a great tasting blend. It produces a nice amount of smoke and burns down to a nice ash at the end of the bowl. I would recommend this to all smokers.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Everything about this blend is fantastic. Nice traditional tin and once the seals broken it just gets better. The aroma is one of the nicest you'll find, rich and sweet how bakky in this style should smell. worth letting the mix air some prior to smoking as it can be somewhat moist, which I'm in favor of (bit hard to put moisture back in if too dried). Beautiful bellows of white smoke not only taste great but give the onlookers the room note desired. burns well without fault, the standard false light and relight and your on your way to the bottom and wanting more. not overly strong nic count here so probably a good all day toker. No mac baren bite found as other often state with McB, having said that I think most tobacco should be smoked in a relaxed style, hey thats the point! dont rush, enjoy. definitely in my regular rotation.

Boston Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boston Bill (11)

Mac Baren Scottish Mixture is one of my favorite, basic blends. Its always available in my collection, because its always been satisfying, unique, and enjoyable. One of the things I appreciate most about this blend is the subtle nuances that come and go- because you can't guarantee the same mix in your pipe every single time, the nuances can vary, making the blend never seem boring, bland, or unremarkable.

The blend isn't overly strong, but it is a step up in flavor and strength from "drugs store tobacco." While I like the "room note," people around me find Mixture less enjoyable than other, lighter (to me) blends. This is an excellent, every day blend. If smoking multiple bowls over an evening, I usually include this based on mood.

While I concede that my smoking style/skill might be to blame, I tend to find Mac Barens to smoke very hot, and this one does too, for me. I don't smoke often enough to be sure the problem is my style, the moisture in the tin, or what.

I'm really glad to have this... now I want to try the flake version...

the old man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the old man (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is one of my all time favorites. As I write this review I am smoking it now. Tin aroma is wonderful. AS so far as the room note this is one of the few tobaccos the people I live with tolerate. I woud have no trouble recomending this tobacco!

kifin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kifin (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I have been visiting this site for long and i have to thank everybody for the help .I signed up only today.I felt i had to add myself a review.About scottish mixture ?My father used to smoke it.I tried it many years ago.I tried other brands and blends.Dad was right.Indeed it is among the 25 top tobaccos as stellenbosch wrote.It is the tobacco for all days, from morning to evening.Strong tobaccos are only good for once in a while ,for an evening pipe together with a special liquor or after a heavy meal. I agree with vinnie and i do rub it in my palm,I dont feel the need to dry it though. I wonder sometimes what i could choose as an alternative if the company decided for some(absurd) reason stopped the production of this blend. Any suggestions?

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don't know what makes a blend Scottish but this one's not half bad. I DO agree with kestrel's view in that although MacBaren's tobaccos smoke hot they make you take your time and slow down. I think that's the secret. This blend has a sweetness that sneaks through. And, the cavendish is there to compliment it. It is a reddi-rubbed that in my opinion ought to be rubbed out a bit more and smoked slowly. Maybe even dried out just a tad before smoking. A few minutes under a desk lamp and viola! I think drying it opens up the bouquet for your pleasure. Not an after dinner smoke but it's a wonderful smoke when you can take a long break from things, s-l-o-w-l-y. Scottish has a very pleasant room note a little on the light sweet side. I'd recomend this to anyone who has a few years smoking a pipe under their belt. I'm gonna give this one a strong THREE stars.

kestrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kestrel (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I've bought this tobacco a couple of times. This time I bought it because I had bought a new pipe in France while travelling and was looking for something reasonable to begin the break-in process. I've smoked a few bowls of this tobacco outdoors in the new briar, and one bowl indoors in my meerschaum.

This is a good tobacco. Good balance between the Virginias and the Burleys. A small amount (but noticeable) of cavendish. This is a pretty sweet tasting tobacco (maybe a little bit of that MacBaren honey casing). Also nutty from the burleys, with a mild chocolatey taste in the background. Leaves me with a nutty aftertaste.

Nothing too strong here, but enough flavors to keep me interested while I'm doing some other things. I doubt you'll be amazed but I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.

Well, I shouldn't say that I'm sure. A lot of folks seem to really not like MacBaren blends. I do like them, but they make you take your time.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this for the first time about a month ago and was interested enought to go back for more: it warranted some more exploration. This is a complex mixture and almost offers a changing flavour predominence through the smoke.

Fills easy, lights easy, but bites if not treated with respect (it is after all - MacBaren). I've smoked about six packs now and it's loosing its interest for me - it is bland, but tolerable. It definetly sits on the 'Aromatic' side of the fence, and despite the 30 different tobaccos you can soon tire of complete boredom!

Thammy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thammy (3)

I tried this blend out of a random choice made in 5 minutes between the cries of "hurry up!" by several friends crowded in the tobacco store urgently waiting to get home to wargame. Being the only pipe smoker amongst my friends, I was under alot of pressure(not to mention the lady working there was not a pipe smoker nor sympathetic to the time-consuming task of picking a good blend) I saw this blend sitting alone so I grabbed it on a hunch and tried it that night. I was pleasantly suprised at the mild but tasteful flavour, and the great aroma it emitted. A blend I will be smoking for a long time to come. The quality is extremely high, and I recommend this to anyone into mild aromatic blends that is not extremely boring.

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)

I've just come back to smoking pipes after a 26 year layoff and decided on this blend as a way to get back into the hobby. I have to say I am really pleased with the over all experience of the tobacco. It's a nice aromatic, but not so ridiculously sweet to make you think your smoking a candy bar. I gave a sample to a friend who smokes only off the shelf drug store brands as a way to see if I could get him to step up to a better smoke. He liked it so much he dumped his plastic bag of "el cheapo smoke" and bought a full pound. I'd definitely recommend this blend and have it as my main smoke.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (20)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is the only so-called "Scottish" Blend I have ever tried. With that in mind, I think smokers will either love or hate this blend. I detected what I thought was clove, pistachios, and some sort of unknown spice. I tried about four bowls and thought it might get better if I let it dry out a while. It didn't get worse, but it didn't get better. MacBaren is the master of Virginias, but have yet to make a blend that appeals to me outside of that category.

Pipe Used: Basket pipe

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I received my first tin of this as a Xmas present. The first Xmas I had after meeting my wife she gave me one of this as well as a tin of Irish whisky. Myself being of Scottish descent, and her being of Irish she felt it was somewhat symbolic I think. I thanked her for it and it was appreciated. I came to like it so much it became my daily for about 6 months.

When I opened the tin, I was greeted by a wave of heavenly aroma. Sweet, earthy goodness. Hay, a good amount of raw clover honey and something almost like wildflowers or maybe just a open 20+ acre field in the springtime. Removing the paper top, the smell intensified. This is what an aromatic should be in my opinion. The presentation in the tin is wonderful. This being my first ready rubbed mixture, I had never seen something like before. Chunks of folded tobacco with streaks of browns, black and pale yellows. Little ovoid spots like birds eyes in wood grain here and there.

I first tried to just basically stuff into my pipe a fire away. This was a very serious mistake. It smelled great, unfortunately the burn was so bad I didn't get the chance to enjoy the flavor. I couldn't smoke again for nearly two days after! I tried it in every pipe I had at the time. It gave the same results mostly. In a cob it worked out so I could taste it. It IS delicious. It took me awhile to figure out that I had to smoke this slowly.

It has a wide range of flavors to it. It tastes like tobacco as well as whatever they may have put into it. The real magic to it is the marriage of the various tobaccos coming together in harmony. I can say that the most dominate taste to it is honey. It is a most sophisticated smoke in that it has impressive depth for an aromatic.

On the other hand... This is not what I would call an aromatic. It is neither what I would call a Scottish. It's like a crazy girl you can't seem to stop dating. Some manner of an identity crisis, and seems to love hurting you. Also she's smokin hot, very pretty and smells great every time you see her. She's so inviting, but if you come on too strong she leads you on and then gives you blue balls. You end up having to ignore her a bit when you're together. You have to let her come to you, and then you get the sweet, loving side to come out.

I would most definitely recommend this to an experienced smoker who can take the time to treat it right. Not something that would play out well for someone new to the art. It does have a decent nic content to it. It mans up a bit in the second half of the smoke. This is one of my favorite blends.

Pipe Used: Various Dr Grabows and cobs

Age When Smoked: New tins and bulk

Purchased From: Most tobacconists or the net

Similar Blends: Nothing else I have tried.

The tobacco in the tin smells of honey. There are a few chunks of mostly rubbed out flake, but most of it is ribbon. Moisture level was very good. My tin was 12 months old according to the date on the back of the tin.

Smoked, I get a remarkably good VA/Bur with subtle citrus and honey flavors. The topping is mild, and the tobaccos themselves sing. It smoked cool for me and was easy to keep lit. There is a creamy quality to the smoke that is very pleasing. This is not an "in your face" blend, but more of a pleasant smoke that would be easy to have in the pipe all day. It is described as an aromatic, but it is only mildly aromatic.

This one is a sleeper. I have never paid any attention to it before and am very glad I tried it. The description on SmokingPipes says it is one of the best selling blends in the world, and I can believe it. It comes at a great price point. I think everyone should try this.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought mine bulk from Pipes and Cigars. It is a very pleasant tobacco with no outstanding aroma in the bag. It is slightly sweet with a pleasant mild / medium flavor. It has more flavor than the flakes I've been smoking from MacBaren. I like it, but it's not a four star blend. Perhaps next time I'll buy it in a tin and experience the tin note other reviewers are speaking of.

My main tobaccos these days are Virginia / burley mixtures. The more I smoke them the more I find a need for something sweet in my rotation. I tried several aromatics but didn't like the way the casings sublimated the tobacco flavors, and the way they coated my tongue. My next trial tobacco is Germain's Plum Cake Mixture which I hear is a very old fashioned type of mild aromatic with a lot of sweetness. When I've tried it I'll report back here if it did the job for me.

OK, a little about Germain's Plum Cake Mixture. It has a "beany" flavor I don't like. I picked up a tin of Erinmore Flake (it's expensive trying to fill out a tobacco rotation). I know the reviews say it is like juicyfruit and It has a strong nicotine hit. I just don't find that to be true. It is a mild yet naturally flavored Virginia / burley flake with a background touch of fruitiness. I like it so far and it appears to be a good addition to my rotation which tends toward unsweet Virginia / burley flakes.

Pipe Used: corncob

Age When Smoked: fresh from the bag

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (18)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

First off, I am on the fence with this blend at the moment, but wanted to give a review anyhow. I fluctuate between liking and disliking this blend....here's why...

TIN: Citrus and hay-like with just more than a hint of fig but without the sweetness. Lower moisture than most tobaccos I've tried but not try. Very tightly pressed into the tin.

SMOKING: The tobacco lights very easily so this isn't a fussy blend. The Virginias are in the forefront with Burley coming in second. I absolutely love Virginia No 1 and this reminds me much of it, except for what I percieve to be a slight harshness that I'm uncertain about. Perhaps harshness is too strong of a word and "bold" would be better. At any rate, instead of a mellow mildness of pure Virgina, there is something stronger lurking....either the Burley or the "alcohol, liquor/other" that is mentioned in the description above. (After doing some research on the Mac-Baren site, apparently there's a lot that goes into this blend, so I haven't a clue what it is).

So the bottom line is that I am giving it 2 stars because I go between disliking this blend one moment, and really enjoying it the next. I'm going to smoke the full 100g's before making a final call, but as for you, reader, I highly recommend you give it a shot.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (32)

Was stuck in the hinterlands on vacation without anything good and stopped by a bookstore that stocked some dusty tobacco tins. While looking through a rather uninspiring group of Mac Barens I decided to try a year old tin of Scottish Mixture. It had to be better than the Captain Black I picked up at the drugstore the day before right? Well, it was. Opening the tin (which took 5 min to figure out the coin under the lid trick) it had a nice tobacco/alcohol smell. I let it breath and found it fairly dry. It lit well and burned okay, but needed a few more relighted than I am used to. It had a steady tobacco flavor throughout the bowl and enough of a spice to keep me interested. Not much bite, but it will nip you of you puff away, as another review said, sips not gulps. The ladies in my life found the room note to be pleasant and 'manly' like an autumn day. Which I find is a minor triumph, something good enough to smoke, pleasant to observers, but not fruity smelling. I took my pipe for a long walk each day with this in it and I am keeping it in my rotation at home.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I've reviewed this before under a different heading: Mixture. The blend is so good that a second fresh review hopefully won't go amiss.

This time I'm smoking from a freshly-opened tin dated Nov 2012. And it's superb, though a tad different from my somewhat aged bulk version. What's most striking about the fresh version is the marvelous complexity: lots of different cuts and colours.

And that translates admirably to a variety of flavours and aromas. At the beginning there's only the mildest sensation. With slow gentle puffs one detects the sweet soft mellow character of Virginia. Shortly afterwards the smoker experiences a deep somewhat smoky flavour of the dark-fired components: both Kentucky and Latakia. Then the burley appears, with its companionable aroma and rounded, nutty quality.

The tin's description is accurate: no single flavour dominates. Rather, Scottish Blend Mixture is a marvel of balance and complexity. It's mild enough to smoke repeatedly, but very satisfying in both flavour and aroma when sipped, allowing ample time for its character to develop.

But it's a disaster waiting to happen for the unaware smoker who's used to a full-flavoured tobacco. If Mixture is puffed too quickly or too strongly, in an attempt to coax more flavour out of it, a scorched tongue will undoubtedly result.

Also my experience suggests that Mixture should be packed very loosely to allow for good air circulation. That way the tobacco will smoulder on its own and remain cool, which is the key to extracting the best flavours and aromas. I use the airpocket method of loading so that the draw is effortless and the tobacco has plenty of room to expand.

Bluefox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefox (11)

This sounds like a nice blend but unfortunately the bite is to much to enjoy. I could not distinguish any of the flavors in this because the bite was so bad. Also had a bit of a chemical taste to it. I tried this and symphony at the same time and it seems as though they are basically the same blends with the same tobaccos. They tasted exactly the same to me with the same bite and chemical taste. Do not think I will be buying any more Mac Baren products.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

Afraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Afraz (14)

I dont know they add any flavour on this or not but i like it. Good smell and good taste. If this tin end i ll buy it again.

Bobz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Overall rating: 3.5

w6qo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
w6qo (1)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite non-aromatic, mild blends. I tried adding a dash of Scotch whisky and curing it for a couple days and was very satisfied with the results. It gives the smoke a very nice finish and is welll worth it.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

It's a shame that this blend bites me because I rather like the flavour. If I want to punish my tongue, I'd take the V#1 over this one.

Zietho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zietho (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice tobacco, readily available. It's a bit dry for my liking and perhaps too many varieties of tobacco to give the predictable flavour of any one type of tobacco. I like it, but too close to cigarette tobacco to be enchanting.

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

this blend is made since 1958. its a good " middle of the road" tobacco. good all day smoke but to me nothing special. lights good the broken flake burns well and slow. no tonguebite a little sharp while one takes the flame to the tobacco.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

The smell is nice, packed wonderfully in the tin. It looks sticky but is not, no drying needed but it needs a bit of rubbing to pack it in the pipe well. I do not have tons of experience with pipe tobacco but have with tobacco in general, I am not even sure this is tobacco. Pretty terrible stuff, the taste is just wrong, not chemically at all but not like anything I have ever smoked. Room note is not good, smokes harshly with some tongue bite and whatever you do, do not inhale. Very harsh and not at all tasty so seems pointless smoking it. It will not blend well either, tried hiding it in some other tobacco and it really overpowers it. Putting it away to see if several years of aging make it worth smoking. A more experienced smoker may enjoy this crap, if yer starting out, avoid this at all costs.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It smells good in the tin, like honey comb, but not like tobacco. It is weak in strength, burns hot and peppery.

I then used it as a filter in a big bowl, filled the bottom 1/3 with it and topped off with Carter Hall. It still stung my tongue.

Dauntless, I tried loading a bowl and drawing on it without lighting and it stung my tongue. This is an evil weed. Save your money and stay away.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I love the flavor this tobacco has. It is one of the first tobaccos I smoked after graduating from drugstore brands. The problem is that the tongue bite I get from this tobacco makes it impossible for me to smoke. It is a chemical reaction I get from all Mac Barens tobaccos. It is a pitty. This would be a nice daily, medium in nicotine, slightly sweet with a tangy finish. I even have tried aging this tobacco to see if that helps. I have been smoking, extremely rarely, on the same pound of this for about 7 years and the age has help the flavor even more; yet the chemical reaction is as severe as a new tin.

panfolk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panfolk (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm new to pipes but have been around enough to be wary of the Mac Baren bite. This blend I find to be bite-free and mellow with a nice toasty, brown sugar kind of taste.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I freely and openly admit to having tongue bite problems with every MacBaren blend I've smoked. This one is no exception. The bite is a bit milder than with some (like Virginia #1) but still there. The aroma is fairly pleasant but the smoke itself is acrid and thin with no body. I'd give it one star but it's better than some of the dreck that I've given one stars to, so two stars it is.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)

The tin says it is a blend of 35 tobaccos. Smells a bit like graham crackers. Probably a little brown sugar casing. Dried it out for 3 hours. This lit on one match and required no further. Lots of smoke, with what I believe is a burley room note. For all those who claim they want tobacco flavor and no casing goop this is your blend. Burned clean and dry.

seasonalpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seasonalpipesmoker (6)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

very non-descript. the aroma reminded me of plain cigarettes. it was also very stringy and hard to keep lit. not one I'll buy again.

rlrideoutjr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rlrideoutjr (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was given a tin of this to try by a friend. I had let it sit for a little over a year before cracking the seal. I decided one night to try it when I was out of my every day. I was pleasantly surprised by this tobacco. I used a smaller bowl as to not waste any in case I didnt like it so I could pass it on to a fellow smoker. I smoke a bowl of this everyday in a rotation between my everyday and my "goodnight" bowl. The greatest thing about this tobacco is that my 9 year old loves the aroma and wants to hang out with me when I am smoking this blend.

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I am a long time MB Burley smoker and picked up a tin of Scottish Mixture on a recommendation from the clerk at Iwan Ries of Chicago. Good consistancy, easy to pack and light. For some reason (I guess personal taste), I did not like this tobacco as much as I thought I would. I wanted to try something a little more aromatic from MB Burley. This is more aromatic, but had an odd taste and scent to me that did not match up to my expectations.

This is the best pipe tobacco ever made by Mac Baren, I have been smoking this blend on daily basis over the past 15 years, this blend is complex and it need sometime to be mastered. However, the tin version (Mixture) tastes much better than the bulk one.

Stellenbosch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stellenbosch (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this brand for years now, all I can say is, it on the top 25 tobacco out there.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

A landmark for pipe smokers: the first non-tobacco blend! No tobacco detected in this mixture.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not bad at all! It tastes mild and simple but actually has a number of subtle favours which dance through it. It is the type of blend you can light up and forget about - in a good way. It has a bright woody taste and I can taste the traces of pistacio.

As for the bite - I found it mainly bit during lights or relights so light it carefully and smoke slow. The bite is a creeper but sipping does keep it perfectly manageable.

Pipe Used: orlik 3/4

Purchased From: smoke king

atman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atman (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Fill my list of tested blends. I tasted this once... remove it from my wishlist.

(Please correct the following problems: my review must be at least 25 words long)

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (13)

my very first tobacco, smoked from 50g pouches of this as this is one of the rare bends available around here. For some days i bought a 100g tin, which give me that wonderful taste and perfect moisture straight from the tin.

Great smoke any time at day, gets a solid highly recommended from me.

Dimi7ris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dimi7ris (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I liked this smoke. it is cheap, tastefull and you can find it everywere. It is a fruity tasty smoke, i smoke it every 2 days and i enjoy it. the only problem of this smoke is the bite.. in a hole bowl the bite is realy notisable

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (23)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A bit complex flavor that changes often. At times it reminds of Mac Baren Navy Flake. Mac Baren score /4 (strength 2, flavor 2, roomnote 2)

Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This one I found a little "odd" . Hard to pin point the actual flavour as there is a lot going on in it . I found it to be "a little too busy " in the taste department . It also bit me if drawn too hard . Not great nor horrible , just a bit to much for me with too many different Tobacco and added tastes !

Pipe Used: Commoys

Purchased From: Mysmoking Shop

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a sealed tin dated from September 2011 this past April. I was pretty excited to find one already with some time on it instead of brand new. Upon opening I was greeted with a pleasant smell. Nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing I could complain about. Eager to dive in, I loaded it in a freshly sanitized Peterson standard system 307 with the p-lip mouthpiece. Initial light and blast was decent. I'd built it up in my head for more. But it wasn't bad. I slowly went through an entire bowl taking up two rainy hours of my evening. I looked for the complexity they hyped up on the packaging. Many tamps and re lights only produced a mild change in initial flavor. Over the past month I've made it through the entire 100 gram tin. And found it to be very consistent with my first experience. I've tried it in four other Peterson's. Each time to find the same moderate taste. Did I build it up too much in my head and set myself up for failure? Was it just an off batch? Or is it just an average stiff wearing a rented tuxedo? I'll try it again in about a year with another tin and see.

Final synopsis: Nice tin note Nice room note Decent light and burn Some tongue bite if you let it get away Moderate confident flavor An all around ok product but nothing spectacular Will but and try again after time to forget the initial attempt.

Strichetto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strichetto (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've bought this blend in 2012 in Switzerland, in a pouch, not a tin... at an average price for common drugstore tobaccoes. More thin cutted and less moist than other SMs, has less scent too.

Aroma: less than average SMs (i.e. Davidoff, Comoy's, & co.)

Taste: less than average SMs; and not so much satisfaction...

Room note: it can be boring, but.. less than other SMs

Burning: not really fast, but faster than usual SMs

Best Briars: I've a number of my best Castello, Comoy's, Savinelli, and so on pipes, exclusively dedicated to EM, Balkan and SM blends, but I preferred to use for this tobacco normal pipes, in fear it can dilute the superb taste they deserves...

Not really bad, not really good. If you like Scottish style mixtures, you can choose some better; it's by me, of course.

I'm just finishing up a 3.5 ounce tin that is most likely as old or even older than 1985, and have not had a recent "vintage" to compare it to. I will say that Mac Baren is a brand that holds limited interest to me when it is young, but when it gets to be 20 years old or more, I like it so much that I seek it out and buy it whenever I can find the old tinnings.

Though the roll cakes are my favorites when it comes to Mac Baren old or new, I must say this is one fine old tobacco. I really get more of a fruit scent from the tin itself than the alcohol/liquor noted in the blend description above, but for me very little of this comes out in the smoke. I may get more complexity from the roll cakes, but this, at least at around 30 years old, is a mild, pleasant, and smooth smoke, and there is no hint of bite, even if I puff heavily (though usually I have found this one best at just a normal smoking rate).

I still have a tin in reserve, and I'll probably hold off opening it, though I doubt it could change all that much more at this point. I guess I'll eventually have to try a new tin at some point, just to see if the mixtures do indeed change with that kind of age on them as much as the roll cakes; I have had old and new tinnings of a couple of those side by side, and 20 or 30 years turns them into something different altogether!

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)

Found some of this lurking loose in a airtight jar at the back of a cupboard and decided to try it one rainy Monday afternoon.

Moisture content was still good though a bit on the dry side from years of storage. The tin note was vinus sweet and sligtly brandy like with a subtle spicyness.

It filled well due to the mixed cut and lit with only one relight. The smoke was cool with quite a rich nutty woodyness with a slight cream finish. Further down the bowl the woodyness increased and a pleasant whisky-and-spice aftertaste. The ash is grey/white and it burns clean. A little bite came about at the tail end of the bowl.

The room note is light and descreet ceadar-woody and dry.

I quite like this tobacco even from only trying two bowls. It has great character rather like Dunhill flake but more full. It is only lightly cased the majority of the flavor coming from the excellent cure of the burley and virginias in the blend. Though it does not say on the jar im certain there is csome perique in there somewhere too.

I would smoke this blend again though it might be a bit much to smoke all the time. As a regular smoke of this sort I still prefer Dunhill Flake. Overall a very well blended medium aromatic with fine English quailities.

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this blend with one caveat....smoke it slooooowly. If you don't you end up with some pretty intense bite. If you savour this smoke then you will end up with a lovely experience.....this isn't a blend for a quick smoke in your pocket pipe. Update: I am bumping it down a star as it hasn't stacked up as well against a couple other Scottish blends.

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)

This is one of my all time favourites. A sweet, but not overly sweet, blend that never disappoints. It´s full of many different flavours, a result of the 35 different tobaccos it´s made of I guess, and seems to change slightly through the smoke. I find it impossible to get tired of this one. Goes without saying it is not a tobacco for those who hate aromatics, but still it is very "clean" to be an aromatic, and doesn´t have any artificial or chemical taste. And no bite either, if smoked correctly (pack a little bit looser, light well, but keep a slow pace when puffing, make sure to taste every puff before taking a new, don´t belch).

Tongue taste (the taste you feel on your tongue when you first get the smoke into your mouth): honeylike, round and sweet, sometimes towards the spicier side.

Snork taste (the taste when you roll the smoke around in your mouth and out of your nostrils): semi-sweet, creamy, quite full-bodied. Aromatic but with a natural tobacco taste.

All together: a tobacco that manages to combine a good taste on the tongue and "snork" (which many in my experience fail - often it is either or), and which has a full bodied, powerful but still pleasantly mild taste.

Roy Odhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roy Odhner (8)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a wonderful blend. It's got a wonderful Virginia/Burley base that is complimented by a tasty (but light) honey and nut flavor. Like most MacB blends, this is not a particularly nuanced blend - just straight-forward tobacco goodness. And just like all the other MacB blends (or any other good blend, for that matter), it really needs to be sipped to be appreciated. This will also help you avoid the oft criticized but over-rated MacB tongue bite. I think it smokes better in a cob, but it also makes my trusty Pete XL02 just sing.

No matter the pipe, though, this is just a wonderful blend if you appreciate it for its own merits and don't push it or try to make it something it is not. This is merely a well-crafted and well-behaved blend that offers nothing more than a very enjoyable smoke. If you want an "experience" or crave nuance, then look elsewhere because MacB Scottish Mixture will probably disappoint. However, if you want a really relaxing and enjoyable bowl of tobacco that promises (and delivers) nothing more than a wonderful smoke then this may be for you. It's not a "complex" smoke, even though the blend itself is - it's more like a "comfortable" smoke.

MacB tobaccos took the U.S. market by storm over 50 years ago because they offered something completely new at the time: a high-quality pipe tobacco that fell somewhere between the OTC's of the day and the high-end European blends of the day. They still offer that unique type of "cross-over," and that is the very essence of a Danish blend. Their blends, this one included, are also easy to find and are very reasonably priced. If such a blend appeals to you, then give Scottish Mixture a try - I think you'll be pleasantly impressed.

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is one of my go-to blends now. It is consistently good and easy to smoke. I have found that it is pipe dependent and have a dedicated briar for it.

I can't add much more than what others have said, but it is a fine blend, given some drying it is smooth and light with no bite.

The flavor is crisp and sweet with undertones of toasted bread. Easily an all-day smoke.

Pipe Used: Orlik Bulldog

Purchased From: Uhles

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

People bitch about this blend biting ... and it does the first min ... but stick with it for two mins and you'll be glad ya did . It settles down and has a " warm toast " flavor ... which is freaky good . The moisture content is perfect so no fuss or waiting [ big plus ] . Lights w/ two tamps and burns great and pretty slow . I rub this for a second is all and in she goes . Scottish builds mildly down the bowl but never to much or heavy . The honey or whatever topping used is so mild and I think it adds to the greatness of the blend . It's not an aromatic so much as a topnote . I dig this blend ... if it were richer I don't think I'd smoke anything else except for kicks . I think this blend requires patience . If so you'll pick up on the subtleties as the bowl progresses and enjoy it . Scottish is on the lighter side of medium in flavor and the medium scale in nicotine . It's a blend that's respected by many and should be givin a one tin shot by all . One of the great blends !

Perique_Churchwarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique_Churchwarden (2)

I hail from the U.K. and have tried various Scottish Blend, and I must say that is pretty pleasant. When you buy the blend fresh, it will have a mild sweetness which is attributed to the Virginia tobacco in it. Of course this blend can dry out rather quickly, so I would Recommend putting it in either a leather pouch or preferably a jar. As long as you have a clay humidifier in there, it will be alright.

Here's a hint that I usually will do when I buy this blend in large quantities, BUT I do not recommend this if you have nothing but large jars for you tobacco, This work best in a small leather pouch. Remember I like doing this to this particular blend so this works well for me, BUT if you would like to try it as well, I would recommend getting a least 1 small leather pouch. Take note that the humidifiers I use must be soaked in water as well.

What you can do is this: Instead of soaking your humidifier in just water alone, get a small shot glass an fill it about 3/4 of the way with your favourite Single malt Scotch Whiskey and a few drops of water. Once the humidifier is ready place in back in you pouch and let you tobacco sit for about a day.

I like this method because it gives your mild blend a touch of Scotch. And what makes it even better it that you don't have to let the tobacco sit out for a little while to let the moisture dry out. Of course now remember this is not everyone's cup of tea so that is why I recommend trying this in small pouch with about 30-50 grams of tobacco, that way in the chance you don't like you only "wasted" a few grams of tobacco instead of an entire jar.

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)

I'm not quite sure what to say about this tobacco. In my opinion, it has some great characteristics, but there also something very suspicious.

It has a very subtle and refined natural-sweet tobacco taste; it is also present some honey-like undertone. As the tobacco is smoked, the former flavors changes to a more “roasted cereal” taste; at the end of the bowl, the predominant taste is a very natural burley savor.

These are for me the great things about this smoke, however, there is something “strange” in it. As it has some delightful and subtle nuances, occasionally there are some nasty touches. In some smokes I perceive something like the smell of raw fish, also a soap-like flavor, moreover, I also find a very unpleasant bitter taste. The curious thing about these nasty characteristics is that they are quite subtle, like the good ones.

I also have to mention that this blend has some outstanding burning characteristics (when packed very loosely and smoked parsimoniously).

I love and hate this tobacco, it is not one of my favorite blends because of the disagreeable nuances I've mentioned. Corruptio optimi pessima

A admit to liking MacBarons blends but for some reason I had never tried this one. This is a semi ready rubbed bland, reminds me a lot of the old Amphora Brown with all the long, tightly pressed, rich brown tobacco slivers. It smells terrific in the tin, it reminds me of a graham cracker in aroma. It comes at a good moisture level and does not need drying. It packs in the bowl very easy and was very easy to light and it stays lit well. Upon first light of this blend, I at first thought it was going to be hot and somewhat harsh. This was true for the first few minutes but then it it settled down into a real kitten, burning nice and slow and tasting very much of good tobacco. As it's a mix of VA and Burley tobaccos, it has the nice sweet natural taste of the VA and the rich, creaminess of the burley. I again liken it very much to Amphora Brown. The room note is wonderful! I had to stop during my fist bowl of this and answer the phone in the other room and when I came back, the room note smelled terrific! Very deep rich and creamy. This blend burned slowly all the way to the bottom of the bowl and left a dark gray ash and a touch of dottle at the bottom of the pipe. I know some that complain that MaCBarons's tobaccos are bitey and hot. Get past the first five minutes with this one and you could not make it bite if you wanted too. This is one mellow blend. I do recommend this one espeicially to those that like MB Navy Flake.

According to Mac Baren, this is the same as their Mixture, Scottish Blend. The latter being its newer name.

Here is my original review under MIXTURE from 7-31-09: I enjoy Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture. My review is based on a recent 8 oz bulk sample purchase. Its presentation is that of medium brown strands of broken flake tobacco with just the right moisture level. It packed and lit without effort and required no relights. There was no moisture accumulation and the tobacco burned down to a nice light gray ash. This was sweet tasting and had a slightly floral character to it (not Lakeland, just very subtle).

The Virgina tobacco is the most predominant taste and it is very similar to their Virginia No 1 offering but sweeter (combination of the natural Virginia leaf, cavendish, and the typical Mac Baren honey flavor). There is also a spiciness to it which adds a peppery sensation to the tongue. I am not talking bite. However, if you puff on this too hard the bowl has a tendency to burn hot and it will scorch. Interestingly, in a larger diameter bowl, I bunch up the tobacco like a flake for packing and do not experience any tendency for this to smoke hot. Gentle puffing never gets it above the pepper sensation on the tongue. Its overall taste and strength maintained itself consistently throughout the smoke.

This is a very nicely put together blend. As I stated in another review, many of the Mac Baren blends have been criticized for being too similar in taste. I felt that way during my beginning years of pipe smoking. Today, however, many of the Mac Baren blends are among my favorite smokes. I smoke more of their offerings than from any other manufacture and I have been rewarded in discovering the subtle differences they offer. It took time and patience, but the results were well worth it.

All of the qualities represented by Scottish Mixture are enough to make it a candidate for anyone's daily or weekly rotation.