Removing the Perique from Cool Hand Fluke results in an all-natural, four-Virginia blend that is both tasty and just slightly sweet. Requested by a fan of my blends who loves Virginas but hates Perique. I'm not big on Virginas, but this will be a regular in both my cobs and briars.

Notes: Created in response to a customer request.

BrandJohn Patton
Strength
Taste
3.1
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A one ounce sample from 4noggins. Chunky ribbon cut of colors ranging from blonde to black with a plain tobacco-y bag aroma. First bowl was a disaster because I packed too tightly. This one preferred a bit looser of a load, although it never really gelled for me.

Mr Patton zapped nearly all the sweetness from the leaf, instead opting for a drier, burley-er flavor. But no burley in the mix, even though this one eventually got into mid-level burley bitterness down the bowl. A surprising lack of development from a Virginia blend, particularly one that includes four different strains. The flavor was mild and elusive but from time to time it would dial in and become moderately enticing. Smooth and seemingly light on nicotine, but also light on depth and flavor. I found it interesting that this was derived from a similar VA blend with perique because I found myself wishing for some of that condiment. But that was nothing to elevate this one beyond mediocre in my book. Certainly this is better than most 2 star blends but it doesn't deserve 3. Still, this makes me think it might be a good idea for me to explore more from this blender. I did enjoy his Storm Front, but I'll pass on this one.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's a rougher cut of tobacco for sure, and there's four colors here -- oak, sienna, dark chocolate, and earth. It's very smooth -- I puff fast and never even flirted with bite. This has a very smooth and unassuming flavor. It's like cocktail piano -- you can pay attention to it if you want to, but even when you do, there's usually only a frisson of memory or recognition to enjoy. I found it to be a bit pale and monotonous. It's also light on the nicotine. Maybe it's your perfect early morning pipe; I could see easing into the day smoking this with some blond coffee and milk. It's certainly a nice, mild, all-day Virginia. This tobacco is Betty, not Veronica.

Vanilla Cookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vanilla Cookie (3)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

As a fan of Virginias, I'm always on the lookout for something new. While I have enjoyed Perique/Virignias like Escudo and MacBaren's Navy Flake, sometimes they give a scratchy sore throat. Anybody experience this? Anyway John Patton Quadruple Virginia is nice and smooth with none of that sore throat thing because it has no Perique. There is no information about what the four Virginias are, but they result a nice cool smoke with less than normal Virginia sweetness which is often found in other Virginias such as McClellens. Quad Virginia seemed to be dry in the bulk baggie and lit pretty easily after a couple of efforts. It stayed lit which is good. Overall I liked the flavor and body. Maybe it's a little light on the nicotine, but I kind of I have been smoking higher nicotine tobaccos so it probably is average. Will enjoy what I bought and consider buying more when it's gone. BTW this is my first review.

Wy Cob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wy Cob (4)

I don't smoke too much Virginia but this was a really good smoke.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

For years I have been trying to like Virginia blends. Either they bite, don't stay lit, come in flakes that take too long to smoke, or they are doctored up with frou-frou or perique.

It was a hot summer's day over here when I received a packet of Quad Va from Richard. Getting on for sundown, I packed it in a Sasieni and settled back.

JP says this is four Virginias: you can see different colours in the bag. Like other Patton blends, this is cut rough, with large pieces of leaf -- as if someone went into the storage barn and clipped some off the leaves hanging there.

It came fairly dry from Richard, and crackled a little on packing.

The familiar Virginia tang is there, but muted and biteless. Packed fairly tight it gives a good puff cloud and the flavour builds as you get further down the pipe bowl. Mild, but definitely has a presence. It has that typical JP harshness about it which I like.

I would rate this right up there with just about all the Va blends that I have tried, and would recommend it to anyone. It will be my regular Va from now on, until JP comes up with a replacement.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)

This is a mild tobacco with little to no bite. I didn't have the lighting issues that the previous reviewer had, so it might have been either moisture content or packing. In any case, the Quadruple Virginia has a very pleasant aroma and taste, and is fast becoming my favorite way to start the day.

This blend smelled great in the pouch, somewhat sweet and musty smelling. It was a multicolored flake and came very dry. It loaded well in my pipe and I settled in with a cold drink and a book and set to enjoy an evening smoke. Once I lit up my pipe, I was greeted with a great aroma and very sweet and tasty first pulls. Then I had to relight. And then again. For some reason, maybe the fact it was so dry, I could not keep this blend lit, and when I puffed a little too much to try to do so, it started to bite me. It did smoke it all the way down and it was a very tasty blend that I did enjoy and was a great blend with a cold beer. But I could not go four star with it as it required so much relighting. I found that a distraction. But for the VA lovers, this is really a great tasting blend. I will hydrate it some before smoking it again and see if that improves it as I really enjoyed smoking it other than the relights.

DLT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DLT (8)

Cancel my earlier review, please. It was meant as a review for Cool Hand Fluke, and I will post it there.