With a tradition that dates back over 95 years. Red Cap Tobacco is a winning blend of aromatic Virginia, Burley and other premium air-cured tobaccos. Our special Blend No.7 also includes a hint of rich Cavendish tobacco for a truly unique and flavorful smoking experience. We hope that you enjoy.

BrandNational Tobacco

1.6
Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The only reason I gave this two stars instead of one is that it mixes well. This is mostly just cigarette tobacco with a tiny bit of cavendish added. Too much cavendish to roll into a cigarette and far too little to be called a pipe tobacco.

It burns easily enough but with little to no taste until you happen to hit a tiny bit of cavendish. That taste is fleeting to say the least. Burns fast, lights easily. It will not ghost your pipe since there's no flavor in it to leave behind in the first place. For .99 cents a pouch I'd rather spend the dollar on a McChicken instead and just gather some dry tree leaves to smoke in my pipes.

Cody_2ZZ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cody_2ZZ (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Many looking for a decent cheap smoke will eventually run into this tobacco. I found it in what is primarily a cigarette store. The pouch aroma is pleasant but slightly flat/dull. Upon lighting the tobacco, you can instantly taste the bitterness of the blend. After several minutes the bitterness of the tobacco starts to be a little overwhelming and unpleasant. I chose not to finish my bowl of it.

Voodoo Dokktor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Voodoo Dokktor (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm not a big "review" guy, but after stopping at a remote Rt.66 gas station and finding a small pouch of Red Cap Blend No.7 as my only option, I felt that giving a review was my obligation to society. I will however try to keep it short and sweet. So here goes...

In my humble opinion regarding Red Cap Blend No.7, the only way that you're actually going to enjoy it is by not buying it or attempting to smoke it. The taste can be compared to licking an ashtray-flavored 9 volt battery. It bites the tongue like a brand new Energizer, and tastes just like an old ashtray with a slight undertone of vomit. It would be well suited as a gag gift, or as other reviewers noted, RYO if you're in prison. But pipe tobacco it ain't. Don't do it, even if it's your only option. You'll be glad you didn't.

I cringe every time I think about how rancid blends 1-6 must have been before they settled on marketing this one.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat

Age When Smoked: Who Knows?

Purchased From: Flying A Gas Station-Rt.66 Kingman AZ

Similar Blends: Old cigarette butts.

Pipe_Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe_Fan (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Cheap, OTC gas station tobacco. One of the RYO cigarette tobaccos that got branded as pipe tobacco as to avoid some taxes. Cheap and easy to obtain.

In the pouch the tobacco seems to be a little on the dry side. The aroma is nice but seems a little weak. Packs incredibly well, easy to lit and stays lit like a dream.

The taste is a little bitter, but enjoyable for me. It tastes natural, with little to no flavoring that I could detect. Someone who prefers natural tobacco may enjoy this. Burns fast and can get hot pretty quick.

Some friends of mine use it for RYO cigarettes, and they enjoy it more than some other RYO brands available, though they prefer the original Red Cap a little more.

If you are into RYO cigarettes, worth a try. For a pipe, it is alright, would do in a pinch but I would suggest trying other options first.

Pipe Used: Cayuga Bulldog

Purchased From: British Petroleum Gas Station

Similar Blends: National Tobacco - Red Cap.

KXkid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KXkid (12)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I didn't know any better, and it was cheap. I will try aging this one to see if it gets any better.

Jack Creezely Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jack Creezely (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

i rather like this tobacco, granted it may not be the best one, however for the price, you can't go wrong. it is left to preference. though i do hear from some around me that it smells of marijuana which i simply can not stand.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

This is the winner so far for worst pipe tobacco ever. If curiosity gets the best of you and you feel you must try it. I suggest buying one of those $2 cobbs for the task. It would be a crime to grace a fine pipe with this stuff.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Bought this one and it's brother at the same time. Harsh. I started to get some bite out of this one. Must be mostly Virginia in this. I couldn't detect any of the cavendish it's suppose to have. It's not for me.

If you're broke buy a cheap pack of cigarettes and break them up and put it in your pipe. It will taste better.

macbeth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbeth (17)

The quest for the best cheap smoke continues. The pouch aroma is great! Smells like good Turkish blend tobacco. Moisture content perfect. Burns good. Bitter to me. YUK! All the way through. Tastes bad. Didn't expect much for $0.95/pouch, so not greatly disappointed. Really nice not to have 12oz of this stuff. Lol. Prince Albert Choice Blend smokes better.