Grandma always kept a couple bowls of this fragrant blend of Virginias, Burleys, and a dash of Deer Tongue and Perique around as potpourri to make her favorite beaus feel right at home when they came calling. A Robillard blend.

Blended ByRobillard

3.4
Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I picked up two tins of this blend three years ago and was not all that impressed with the Deer Tongue, though I did like this blend enough to finish the first tin. Skip ahead three years and I had no other Burley blend in my stash, so I finally cracked open the second tin. Well, age did this tobacco justice. Burleys do not improve much with age, yet the Deer Tongue, Virginia and Perique had time to mingle and sweeten. This blend will have to be around for that change of pace from here on out. Smoking this outside my favorite coffee shop always receives positive comments from, at least, the older ladies. The younger hipster girls only give the normal "how dare you" stare. My wife likes the room note and she hates even my plain Virginia tobaccos. I am not an aromatic smoker, yet Deer Tongue is a pleasant, natural flavor that enhances the other tobaccos. The Perique is hidden behind the citrusy vanilla of the Deer Tongue, sweetness of the Virginia and nuttiness of the Burley.......... We all owe Craig Tarler much gratitude for bringing quality burley to an industy that lacked that. He will be mist and long live Cornell& Diehl.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a blend I was looking forward to ever since I discovered Crosby's Crooner. A long time favorite. That blend is pretty high in strength, but this one was pretty mellow. It's one I want to use as a center piece potpourri , and always have on hand.

The main flavor you will get is that C & D deer tongue. Some say it's a vanilla mint, but I'd describe it as a floral, maybe slight vanilla. It's light and very tasteful. The other tobaccos in here just add to the greatness. The nuttyness and sweetness of the burleys are a great supporting tobacco. The Virginia and Perique are more of an additive that just complete this blend. Keeps it complex yet still simple.

Not much else to say, but to get this blend more out there, everyone should at least try. Not for everyone, but definitely worth a try,

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, Nording Poker

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 104: Crooner.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Burley and Deer Tongue is one of my favorite combinations in pipe tobacco. Being a huge fan of C&D's Crooner I decided to pick up a tin of Gentleman Caller to see if I would enjoy a more subtle use of Deer Tongue compaired to the bold usage of the herb in Crooner. Now I must say, this blend is delightful. Perfect for when I'm craving that unique Deer Tongue flavor but am not in the mood for the bold in your face flavors of Crooner. In Gentleman Caller the burley is the main character. Nutty and smooth as you'd expect from the burley Gods at C&D. As a second roll I pick up the intermingling of the sweet tangy virginia with the sweet earthy deer tongue. The perique sort of hides quietly in the back row giving just the slightest spice to the blend. Gentleman Caller is just an all around fantastic, unique old fashioned pipe tobacco. Also, the room note is to die for. Sort of a musky, floral, vanilla scent. Just wonderful.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (75)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

O man if anyone is hesitant about picking up an aromatic, have no fear. Gentleman Caller is naturally aromatic. It is everything I wanted in "Crooner" without the heat and bite, and with more flavor.. If good old Bing (RIP) could have tried this blend it just might have become his favorite but alas we will never know... Room note is vanilla baked butter croissants and the taste is nutty, full and slightly sweet up top, as you near the end of the bowl the Perique picks up a bit and adds a nice spice. An aromatic for folks who don't like aromatics!! Best in a cob and IMO C&D's best Deer Tongue blend yet!

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh, under a month in the tin

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 104: Crooner.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (50)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very similar in appearance to Crooner but with more bright tobaccos and a very short ribbon cut. Tin note is near identical to Crooner. Herbal, green tea, oregano, wet hay and a hint of vanilla and alcohol. Ideal moisture content out of the tin, and took a light and burned well.

If the deertongue in this is less than Crooner then it isn't by much. That component is still very dominant. I like this fragrance, which is rounded out by the Perique in the background.

This tobacco is sweeter and more layered than Crooner. I really enjoyed the Virginias in this. Like Crooner it does something odd to my mouth but that is not a deal breaker. Can also burn a little hot if pushed.

This is a nice 'aromatic that isn't' for a change of pace. Has a lot less nicotine than Crooner and could be smoked any time of day.

Cultured Explorer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cultured Explorer (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

The "Deer Tongue" mentioned here is a common name for a certain plant in the Aster family (family: Asteraceae), and native to North America (I don't know the species' full scientific name, but the genus is Liatris). It tastes almost like it smells-- like white clover honey with a bit of vanilla and something herbal, almost catnippy. I can't help but imagine that American Indians somewhere must have smoked this, or at least burned it, for pleasure. It shows up in the blend as green flakes, similar in appearance to broken wrapper from a claro candela cigar, but with a rougher texture (physically speaking).

NOTE: While I like this blend, and recommend it, I also recommend that you try it first in any MM corn cob pipe except for your favorite one. I tried it first in a 2 year old Peterson Wicklow. That is the only time I've smoked it from a briar. Two weeks and three bowls later, I'm still reminded of that fact every time that I get to it in my rotation. And yes, I run pipe cleaners through my stem and shank after every smoke. It's not bad, except that it is clearly messing with the taste of anything else I smoke in it. Also, wash your hands very well before handling any other tobacco, as it stays on your hands for a long time, too. This is what made me decide to wait until I got back to my Wicklow before trying it in another briar.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

There is a lot going on here. This blend is pretty different from other pipe blends. The deer tongue has a lot to do with that. I am not sure if I like the deer tongue or not, but it certainly made for a fun little change of pace. I have also heard that it is getting increasingly hard for blenders to get a hold of deer tongue so i am glad I had the opportunity to take this one out for a spin.

This blend is a lot like other C&D blends, except for the fact that it looks like someone has mixed some oregano into it. The taste is mild and smooth and fragrant. Often times through the bowl I have to stop and ask myself whether I was tasting a vanilla topping or the deer tongue.

The taste was certainly vanilla but the room note did not seem to reflect this much.

A pretty cool experience, and worth a try.

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)

This goes perfect in a cob. Which, considering the way deer tongue can ghost a pipe, is a perfect way to smoke it. I have two MM Washington's dedicated to this blend. I buy this in bulk, and always keep plenty in the cellar. I'd dearly miss it if C&D quit making it.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, I was amazed at the aroma of cinnamon and apples! I noticed the large quantity of green leaf in this blend which is the herb, deer tongue. I was very excited to smoke this. I was sitting next to Craig Tarler (C&D) and asked, what is this topping? He responded, "no topping, just deer tongue". He also commented this herb is very difficult to get ahold of these days and they are guarding their supply with their life!

What you have here, is a Non-Aromatic-Natural Aromatic tobacco. Wonderful taste and aroma. This natural tobacco blend became part of my daily rotation and will stay in the line up as long as it is available.

Deer tongue will leave a delightful flavor within your briar. I have devoted two pipes exclusively for GC. If you smoke it regularly, as I do, I suggest devoting a pipe or two for it or you will experience ghosting when smoking other favorites.

This is an exceptional blend. A real treat of fine tobacco's and the amazing addition of deer tongue which is so rare these days. I will add, I smoked Half and Half for 29 years before discovering C&D blends. This blend does remind me of H&H. However, a recent sample of H&H showed no signs of deer tongue. My guess, is they have removed it. It always used to be there. The H&H smoke is just not the same without it.

If you appreciate a natural aromatic, this blend is, in my opinion, the best of the best.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Intended or not, this is a close clone to Bertram's old Bouquet blend. Mild and sweet and easy burning. Can't say if more aromatic is added than the herb deer tongue (wild vanilla but by no means vanilla). A little bitey if smoked too much or fast. The type of blend you keep in your wife's drawer as sachet, but don't get caught loading up. Recommended as a fun blend.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Sweet, leather, vanilla, ripe fruit, chocolate; light brown with flecks of black perique and quite a bit of grey, which I presume deertongue. A varied cut from rough to wide ribbon, some rather chunky, with a flake here and there. At just the right moisture level to borderline dry. Not at all sticky.

Packing & Burning: No problem, one match to start, but burned a little completely down the bowl.

Taste & Aroma: Top of Bowl: Unobtrusive enough, vaguely sweet, mildly refreshing. A mild salsa interferes with determining the taste.

Mid Bowl: A slight bit more depth. A wisp now and then vaguely mimics the tin aroma.

Bottom: From time to time, the deertongue, sweet vanilla, is barely sensed.

In subsequent bowls, the pungent truffle-like perique and smoky latakia are fleetingly noticed, along with an occasional cigarette backdrop.

Nicotine: Medium

Overall: A blend that could be appreciated indoors. Not a very flavorful smoke. It has a bit more nicotine than I'd like for an all day smoke.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Tin note is straight up honey with hints of honeysuckle (it's getting a little more complex with its young age, but not much). Suspect most of that's from the deer tongue, but perhaps the Virginia too? Couldn't detect perique or much of the burley on the nose. Based on smell and appearance, this has a LOT of deer tongue in it. Had the most success packing it a bit lightly, letting it sit for a bit, and tamping very gently. (Have only smoked it in a relatively wide bowl, not sure if that was a factor.)

Started out a bit sharp. There are a lot of sugars in this blend, so that wasn't a surprise. Definitely felt like it would bite if you let it, although it never did, and at a couple of points I was puffing away. First third didn't do much for me, as the deer tongue was way out in front. The room note was beautiful though! Like honey on toast, and it was terrific all the way through. I had wondered why the label art was of a geriatric hookup, and lighting up answered that question. The aroma took me back to my childhood, when a lot of men were still pipe smokers. According to online old timers, this recipe is what Half and Half used to be, and I probably smelled that stuff burning quite a bit as a kid. So I was still hopeful.

In the second third of the bowl, the burley and VAs showed up to play with the deer tongue, and it blossomed into these amazing lemon chiffon and lemon cheesecake flavors I've never experienced in a pipe. The smoke itself was still relatively light (no Latakia in this one!). The bottom third of the bowl was like a hearty spicecake. Perhaps that was the perique coming out to play? I bumped into just one quick bitter note that could have been burley and/or perique, and went as quickly as it came. It wasn't nearly enough to dissuade me from all the good stuff that was happening. If Lat blends are like sitting by a campfire, this one is like a trip to a gourmet sweet shop. Could be a nice complement to an English-heavy rotation.

This is only the second deer tongue blend I've tried, the other is Russ Oullet's Old Tartan. They're quite different, but I've enjoyed each one immensely, and they both take me back about 40 years in time. I've dedicated a single pipe to both of them with no ill effects so far. Yes, deer tongue ghosts, but the ghost smells wonderful, like cream cheese frosting and incense, if that makes any sense.

Nicotine was noticeable. For heavy pipers who are fans of the Vitamin N (and burley) and not put off by the deer tongue, this would make a great all-day smoke, imo. But be warned, the deer tongue isn't for everyone. If you're a first timer, you might want to rouse up some samples before going all in on a blend. And if you're a burley hater, you probably should skip it altogether.

Pipe Used: Wimbledon long stem

Similar Blends: original Half and Half recipe?.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I mild, light and refreshing smoke, this is heavenly in a big bowl on a hot evening, the tobacco flavour is mild and the Deer Tongue adds a natural sweetness to the blend.Amazing

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

Normally, I am not a fan of deer tongue, my only experience being with the much dreaded Crooner blend. However, I was blown away by this blend in every category. A perfect all day smoke reminiscent of the stuff my grandfather smoked, whatever that was.

I'll be buying this regularly. Wonderful stuff. Nice work, Matt.

pipe pirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe pirate (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I am a fan of deer tongue.That is what led me onto this stuff. One thing that turned me off was a bitter after taste.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (42)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Simply put. this blend is perfection. An all day, all night, all the time smoke. This may be the one blend that could make me brand loyal and I've smoked them all.