A Virginia cake made of well matured orange and red flake and seasoned with the finest Louisiana Perique. A well balanced dark, satisfying tobacco sliced in cake form. Full Virginia.

BrandBufflehead
Blended ByDavid Windsor
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

King Eider didn't take a back seat to any VaPer on the planet. Smooth, powerful, and beguiling. I kept going back to this blend many times during its short run. About impossible to obtain as few tins show up on eBay and when they do, the well heeled and knowledgeable pipers drown my bids quickly. If you ever do get a chance to try this one; do it!

Pipestud

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ya know how it is when you first try a blend and hope that you will at least like it a little bit, and when you smoke it, it turns out to be an almost euphoric experience! This was the case with King Eider and me. Yes, it is quite similar to McClelland's 2015 but I like King Eider more! It is not as intense as 2015. For the first half of the bowl there is a wonderful, soft sweetness with the nose tingle of genuine perique. The aroma is enticing. The smoke then changes to a less sweet and slightly sour (very pleasant) flavor. It then changes to a peppery flavor (for lack of a better word). All the while the smoke stays cool, burns extremely well, and burns very clean with minimal aftertaste. You can push it and get it warm but there is NO bite here at all! There is a very slight kick of nicotine but nothing that will knock you over. This is one of a handfull of tobaccos that I can smoke to the very bottom of the bowl. It has the flavor of well aged tobacco but I just recieved my order last week. If you like Virginia/Perique blends at all, you owe it to yourself to give this one a try. Available from Bufflehead Tobacco. I will be ordering more of this one. Very Highly Recommended!

Update: After seeing the newly distributed price of King Eider I must change my review of it. This is a shame because it is not the tobacco's fault! However, 3 year aged 2015 is better than King Eider anyway and the price of KE is now absurd!

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Ok. Not much more to add than what previously has been said. This is a wonderful, dark, rich, earthy tobacco that burns long, lights and stays lit well, and is very satisfying. I have an 8 oz. tin stashed for the future so I bought a 4 oz. tin at the Chicago show. Unfortunately, the price at the show was as much as the 8 oz. I thought Bufflehead was going to sell again, but their updated website lists the companies who will now stock the tobacco. If the prices are the same as the Chicago show, this will not be bought much by this reviewer, just too pricey, and too bad for incredible tobacco.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update: Bufflehead tobacco's are no longer available at any price so my personal recommend rating must go down 2 stars because even if you found a tin, the price you would pay would be too great.

I recently ran out of King Eider and i was heartbroken to hear i could not get it in bulk, well all is not lost as Iwan Ries started selling Bufflehead tobacco!

12/30/2003 Now this is an amazing blend!!!! I cant keep my nose out of the bag. King Eider arrived as a large flake with no stems, or shards whasoever. It has a wonderful sweet and spicy taste, and the finest room note. No need to worry about being outside in a snowstorm for me.....the perique warms my nose and the large flakes wont fly away when packed.

What more be said? Cheap enough for bulk. Buy a pound and Dave will can it for you. I am always amazed at Buffleheads quality blending. Time to fire up the snowblower, but i got King Eider....

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This nicely prepared broken flake is predominantly darker brown and reddish VAs that have a higher moisture content than I prefer and seem to hold it even as aged. I don't rub out such tobaccos and had to make some adjustments in my packing techniques. I also had better results and much better and evener flavor development in large sized bowls smoked @ a slow pace. The pouch aroma is very inviting and smells as good as many aromatics. Unfortunately, the Perique content resulted in many complaints from the family regarding the room aroma. Perhaps since I smoke straight VA flakes more often, I enjoyed the 1st third of the bowls more than when the spicey Perique kicked in later. However this is overall a cool and effortless smoke if you prefer that taste. Bulk McClelland 2015 remains my favorite in this category.