When a Burley lover who doesn't really care for Perique creates a blend with four different Virginias that a Perique Freak can't get enough of, that's a fluke. Four contrasting Virginas combines with 40% Perique for a blend that is surprisingly smooth.

BrandJohn Patton
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.4
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Not an all day smoke, and maybe not an everyday smoke, depending on how much you like perique. There's a lot of it here, but it's not peppery like perique usually is. It's not that sweet either, but I note the plum and raisin notes, and like them just fine. The Virginias are high quality with a more hay and grassy flavor than a sweet one. I love perique, but usually like a little less than what is in this blend. However, as a change of pace, this gets your heart started for the day. Burns well, tastes great, and is rather filling. A very good blend.

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)

How anyone could not care for perique is unfathomable to me, but to each his own. Despite the incredible amount of perique in this blend CHF is very well balanced. It smacks of raisins and cane syrup, just great dark, sweet flavors. Burns cool as you would expect, and is particularly great in the morning with a cup of coffee.

This is one unusual blend. A lot of Perique but it works flavor wise. My one complaint is I had a lot of trouble keeping this one lit. It was plenty moist but not too much so, but I had to relight several times. it is a very slow smoking blend and that may have a lot to do with that as I am a puffer. But for the amount of Perique in this, I did not get and overdose of pepper and no bite. This blend contains 40 percent perique so that is pretty amazing to me. It is an all brown mixture in appearance in the pouch with the spicy, sweet aroma of all the Perique in it. It loaded easily and upon lighting it up, I was rewarded with a very nice sweet, musty taste that went very well with a cold brew. The room note was very sweet and pleasant and I enjoyed letting some of the smoke french up my nose. It did give me a somewhat dry mouth which was quickly cured with a second cold brew. I enjoyed the taste of this blend very much, but with the having to relight often and the dry mouth, I had to take one star off. But for VaPer lovers, I very much do recommend giving this one a try.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A little rough around the edges, could use about a year or two in the cellar to smooth out this bulk offering. Burley is not listed but it sure tastes like we have a touch here, if we don't, than there are a high percentage of stoved Virginias. Either way, this provides a nice base and some punch and, if it's Burley, it doesn't overpower the smoke in flavor. Perique provide some spice and kick and any high notes from the Virginia just rides along. Overall a pleasant smoke but not one that I would have a yearning for. Reminds me of 4 noggins Weybridge , but not as interesting I'm just not going to be buying more, not that it's real bad , but it just isn't interesting enough

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 2 week bulk

Similar Blends: 4 Noggins Weybridge.

Based on a 1 oz sample. Light tan to black ribbon cut and the perique hits the nose hard as soon as the bag was opened. 40% perique is an unusually high dose but surprisingly it doesn't overpower the Virginias. This reminds me of a less complete GLP Telegraph Hill and I can't exactly say how it misses, flavor-wise. It's almost there. The perique is neither peppery nor fruity but is still the prominent flavor... kind of a briny, spicy flavor that meshes well with the various Virginias. The Virginias are neither sweet nor tangy, as the perique ruled the show. But the VA's lent a kind of continuity to the blend. They seemed almost burley-ish in the way C&D seems to do most of their VA's. And somehow that seemed proper for this one.

My only two issues - and they were pretty minor - is that it takes this one awhile to settle into a groove. Lots of relights until about the midway point where it finally dug in. Also, the amount of perique in this one encouraged me to smoke this in a straight pipe or a canted bowl in order to keep the tickle from the bowl smoke from my nostrils. As I said... minor. This is an interesting take on the classic VaPer and I suspect I'd smoke more of it if there were no GLP Telegraph Hill or Stratford, both of which nail this sub-genre a bit better in my opinion. But I encourage every VaPer lover to give this a try. It's not Escudo and it doesn't try to be. It can co-exist with other, more traditional VaPers and give the smoker something different. 3 1/2 stars, leaning heavily towards 4.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My wife has remarked on how nice the aroma is from this tobacco, which is rare for a VaPer.

It has a nice rounded complex full yet spicy profile. I am floored that the blend allegedly has 40% perique, it doesn't present itself that way, at all.

I smoked through a small sample and have immediately had a desire to buy more.

I do like VaPers and think this is one of the best in this style, with darker fuller VA plus lots of perique. (Similar to 2015.)

Very well behaved in the pipe, smokes dry and clean.

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

CHF is a perique lover's dream! The full spectrum of perique flavors are there to explore, with much of the dark, spicy notes at the forefront. The stewed fruit flavors seem more subdued than I first assumed, though still present. The virginias balance the perique nicely and add a nice subtle sweetness. The nicotine is surprisingly tame, CHF can be smoked any time of day or night without worrying about one's constitution. In fact, this blend would be great for pipers who wish to indulge in all of the dark, spicy goodness that perique provides but are intimidated by it's fabled nicotine whollop. Highly recommended

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (9)

I can only ditto what everyone else has already said about this blend. If you're a VA/perique fan you should try this. If you love perique you should really try it. I will smoke this one for days on ned before switching to something else. My only complaints are it's nicotine content could be higher and it gives your pipe that sour perique smell. If those are the only drawbacks, then like the monkey signed when it came back from outer-space: "BFD". Best smoked in a cob (I use the General model). Try it.

DLT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DLT (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A good and straightforward Virginia blend, with very minimal bite. Beautifully cut, and burns all the way down with minimal residue. A mild honey taste adds interest to the experience. One of my favorite Patton blends.

Bearded1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bearded1 (1)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Smokey's review really is spot on. He sums this blend up well.

I would add one observation however. Some perique blends have a peppery sensation in your mouth. Not Cool Hand Fluke. This is probably the smoothest perique blend I've encountered. You taste the perique, but do not feel it like some blends. If the peppery burn is what turns you away from blends containing perique, this blend just might be what your looking for.

I quite like this blend. If your a lover of perique, you will too.

Smokey the Werewolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey the Werewolf (3)

First, I'm a huge fan of perique blends. A few of my very favorites are Samuel Gawith's St James Flake, Butera's Kingfisher, DAN's Treasures of Ireland: Limerick, and Cornell & Diehl's Exhausted Rooster and Three Friars.

This blend is something a bit different, but very "middle of the road." When I saw that it was supposed to have 40% perique, I was thinking that this might be way too much -- that this was a mistake John (Patton) had made being primarily a burley-smoker himself. I was pleasantly surprised.

The perique is definitely the main player in this blend's flavor profile, but the Virginias are also very present. Their contribution and their different flavors are more and less noticeable at different times throughout the bowl. The perique doesn't completely blow me away as it does when I smoke straight perique (or Kajun Kake for that matter), but it will not be overlooked, either.

If you and perique simply do not get along, you probably are not going to enjoy this blend. If you are like me, however, and do enjoy the fruity, spicey, earthy pungance of a healthy dose of perique in your bowl, this is one you definitely should try.

You know the old codger (we all know one) who smokes nothing but his one particular over-the-counter burley blend, and likes it that way. It may be a bit plain or monotonous, but it's what he likes. It's comforting and familiar, and he'll smoke it all day every day. You know that guy? Well, if he was a Virginia/Perique smoker instead of a burley smoker, this is the blend he'd smoke.

I'm saying I think we have a winner. Won't be for everyone, but some people will love it.