When a Burley lover who doesn't really care for Perique creates a blend with four different Virginias that a Perique Freak can't get enough of, that's a fluke. Four contrasting Virginas combines with 40% Perique for a blend that is surprisingly smooth.

Notes: Sold through 4noggins.com.

BrandJohn Patton
Manufactured By4noggins
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

2.9

Not an all day smoke, and maybe not an everyday smoke, depending on how much you like perique. There's a lot of it here, but it's not as peppery like perique usually is. It's not that sweet either, but I note the plum and raisin notes. The Virginias are high quality with a more hay and grassy flavor than a citrus sweet one that you'd expect from them. Has a medium nic-hit. Won't bite, but Superman puffing might get your tongue tingling. Burns at a moderate pace with a clean, very consistent flavor, and is rather filling. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a lingering after taste, and I do recommend having a drink handy when you smoke it.

Based on a 1 oz sample. Light tan to black ribbon cut and the perique hits the nose hard as soon as the bag was opened. 40% perique is an unusually high dose but surprisingly it doesn't overpower the Virginias. This reminds me of a less complete GLP Telegraph Hill and I can't exactly say how it misses, flavor-wise. It's almost there. The perique is neither peppery nor fruity but is still the prominent flavor... kind of a briny, spicy flavor that meshes well with the various Virginias. The Virginias are neither sweet nor tangy, as the perique ruled the show. But the VA's lent a kind of continuity to the blend. They seemed almost burley-ish in the way C&D seems to do most of their VA's. And somehow that seemed proper for this one.

My only two issues - and they were pretty minor - is that it takes this one awhile to settle into a groove. Lots of relights until about the midway point where it finally dug in. Also, the amount of perique in this one encouraged me to smoke this in a straight pipe or a canted bowl in order to keep the tickle from the bowl smoke from my nostrils. As I said... minor. This is an interesting take on the classic VaPer and I suspect I'd smoke more of it if there were no GLP Telegraph Hill or Stratford, both of which nail this sub-genre a bit better in my opinion. But I encourage every VaPer lover to give this a try. It's not Escudo and it doesn't try to be. It can co-exist with other, more traditional VaPers and give the smoker something different. 3 1/2 stars, leaning heavily towards 4.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

This is one unusual blend. A lot of Perique but it works flavor wise. My one complaint is I had a lot of trouble keeping this one lit. It was plenty moist but not too much so, but I had to relight several times. it is a very slow smoking blend and that may have a lot to do with that as I am a puffer. But for the amount of Perique in this, I did not get and overdose of pepper and no bite. This blend contains 40 percent perique so that is pretty amazing to me. It is an all brown mixture in appearance in the pouch with the spicy, sweet aroma of all the Perique in it. It loaded easily and upon lighting it up, I was rewarded with a very nice sweet, musty taste that went very well with a cold brew. The room note was very sweet and pleasant and I enjoyed letting some of the smoke french up my nose. It did give me a somewhat dry mouth which was quickly cured with a second cold brew. I enjoyed the taste of this blend very much, but with the having to relight often and the dry mouth, I had to take one star off. But for VaPer lovers, I very much do recommend giving this one a try.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

As I read the description, I find it weird that 40% Perique has such a weak fig and pepper flavor and that it doesn't floor me with the nicotine content. After some research, I found that most Perique nowadays is Kentucky Green River Burley and not the St. James kind, made in Louisiana. That would also explain the nutty flavor that I get when smoking this all American mixture. The Virginias are of the hay and grassy kind, a slow burning tobacco that benefits from some drying. Overall an interesting baccy at a nice price but I prefer my Va/Per with the genuine stuff as nothing beats St. James Perique for me.

pzzl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pzzl (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Received 2 oz sampler and now about 1oz was smoked . I enjoy smell of this blend, it's wonderful as smell of good cheese with a little sweet notes of honey, meadow grass, maybe nuts and caramel. But I was disappointed by taste of this fluke. For me it's like I puff the clouds of steam at cold weather. If the taste of this blends will so great as smell of this, I'll loving it. Seems to me that from small bowls it's better and tasty than from big bowls. If compare Cool hand fluke with Quadruple virginias I can say that second has more full body taste.

Pipe Used: il ceppo pot

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Unfortunately, I never really cottoned to any of the late John Patton tobaccos. The seem like mostly blends that are made from a compilation of other blends... but not Cool Hand Fluke. It is certainly unique in a lot of respects. I've never smoked a Burley based blend with so much Perique, and frankly, never intend to do so again. According to my palate, Burley seldom compliments Perique without Latakia in it. This one has some lower grade Virginia leaf mixed in. I'm sorry, but cannot find anything to like about this tobacco. In fact, I bid it bye bye after just a couple of bowls.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I was given a sample of this from a forum friend and really enjoyed it, as I have all the patton blends I have tried so far. The base before the perique in this is quadruple Virginia, a va blend that I just love. The perique is more than a whisper, but not overwhelming in the least bit. I would say it is just right. The sweetness from the vas is more the hay sweet type and a slow puff will reveal a lot of that sweetness.

I will be getting more of this and intend to age it as well. My sample was not huge, so I am leaving this at 3 stars as this is a good vaper and will not let down any aficionado. I may come back to this review after smoking more of it in the future.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A little rough around the edges, could use about a year or two in the cellar to smooth out this bulk offering. Burley is not listed but it sure tastes like we have a touch here, if we don't, than there are a high percentage of stoved Virginias. Either way, this provides a nice base and some punch and, if it's Burley, it doesn't overpower the smoke in flavor. Perique provide some spice and kick and any high notes from the Virginia just rides along. Overall a pleasant smoke but not one that I would have a yearning for. Reminds me of 4 noggins Weybridge , but not as interesting I'm just not going to be buying more, not that it's real bad , but it just isn't interesting enough

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 2 week bulk

Similar Blends: 4 Noggins Weybridge.

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (10)

I can only ditto what everyone else has already said about this blend. If you're a VA/perique fan you should try this. If you love perique you should really try it. I will smoke this one for days on ned before switching to something else. My only complaints are it's nicotine content could be higher and it gives your pipe that sour perique smell. If those are the only drawbacks, then like the monkey signed when it came back from outer-space: "BFD". Best smoked in a cob (I use the General model). Try it.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Starts off very fruity, nearly the full spectrum, and becomes more earthy and briny in the second half. I would rate the spice hit as just a little more than moderate. Has a very nice sweetness, some of which is a sweetened casing. A very nice smoke that I could give 4 stars if it didn't require more than the average number of relights, even when bone dry.

Medium to strong in body. Medium to full in taste. Added sweetness is very mild. Burn is spotty.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

John Patton - Cool Hand Fluke.

The flavour from Cool Hand Fluke's right up my street. The Perique domineers it, without a doubt: plummy, zingy and full. This leaves only a small amount of room for the Virginia. To be fair, for the initial part of the smoke I get a notable Virginia grass-note, but this soon dies down. On the positive side it doesn't bite, but on the negative side it burns a bit too hot; very consistent, very independent, but it can become a touch too warm if it's not puffed gently. Towards the end of a bowl the dark fruit flavour becomes even more concentrated, this is the best part of the smoke (for me).

The room-note's nice, and the nicotine's above medium.

There's only one possible score from my point of view: four stars.

Highly recommended.