Blending Tobacco.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Strength
Strong
Taste
Medium, Full

3.4
Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (21)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I couldn't pass this one up based on the price alone. A bulk Virginia flake by C&D for less the $25 a pound? How could I go wrong? It arrived today and I'm smoking a bowl as we speak.

It seems to be burning relatively well. I suspect rubbing these interesting "chips" out a little before packing might clear up any burn issues. Outdoors this wouldn't be a problem, however, and smoking AS IS might be the way to go.

It's surprisingly full-bodied and has many characteristics that I would normally associate with Burley. If I didn't know any better I would have guessed that there is in fact some Burley in this blend. Very nutty and tobacco-y, with the sweet tang of bright Virginias that I love.

Verdict- it's good. I suspect that it will be fantastic as a blender. My initial try is going to a 50/50 this with McClelland 5100, with a dash of Perique.

If you're looking to stock up that cellar and do it on the cheap, this could be the one.

Pipe Used: Rattray's Craggy Root

Age When Smoked: unknown

Similar Blends: Briar Fox.

BoJackson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BoJackson (4)

I am pretty much a virginia smoker. I tried a sample of the CD Virginia Flake and it was just what I had been looking for in a virginia. This is not a flake tobacco as I have smoked in the past. It is like little chips of tobacco. It packs easily in any type of pipe. I liked it so much I ordered 5 lbs. At $20 a pound from SmokingPipes.com, you can't beat it.

Update Note: If you don't rub this out good, it will bite you bad. Once rubbed out, very very good.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am reviewing several C+D blending tobaccos as a precursor to some blending experiments. I know not many people blend, but these reviews may provide some hints to those wanting to do so.

Full flavored and very woodsy VA flake. Tangy and warm tasting. It gets very "peat" like down the bowl. Provides substantial body and a solid nicotine hit. Could easily be smoked alone or in a blend.

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Natural Virginia flavor is nice,and taste sweet.But regretfully I think I'm not ready to enjoy this tobacco yet.Recommend for experienced smokers.

Another so-called flake from C&D bulk. Looks like fish food flakes. Pretty good Virginia. Has good potential as a blender.