Blending Tobacco.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable

3.4

The Virginia is a little earthy with a touch of grass. Naturally sweet with a little tangy citrus and a dried fruit note or two. If you puff too fast, you'll get a little sharpness and lose a slight bit of sweetness, but it won't bite. One dimensional, but the flavor is good enough that it doesn't matter much. Makes a good mixer, too. Burns at a reasonable rate with no harsh or dull spots, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant earthy after taste with a mild to medium nic-hit.

If you have ever wished for a Virginia version of SWR, this is it. The texture and consistency is less regular and a little larger. Mine came very dry and had a granola feel to it. I have been smoking it as shipped and have not rubbed it out or hydrated it.

This has been a very good smoke. There is a slightly tart/sharp heavy and sweet flavor. The flavor is fairly consistent but seems to pick up some earthy notes at the bottom of the bowl, and it gains a little strength then too. I did not get any of the ashiness you sometimes find with a Virginia as you finish a bowl.

This was an easy smoke. Loading was pretty much a scoop and lightly tamp. It lit readily and was not a challenge to maintain at a slow smoulder. I have smoked it in a variety of bowls, but the pot I have it in now seems to bring out the flavors.

This is a tremendous value for a smoke of this quality. It is a very good Virginia. It reminds me a little of Gold Brick without the need to slice, dry and rub out. One of my daughters likes the room note.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am reviewing several C+D blending tobaccos as a precursor to some blending experiments. I know not many people blend, but these reviews may provide some hints to those wanting to do so.

Full flavored and very woodsy VA flake. Tangy and warm tasting. It gets very "peat" like down the bowl. Provides substantial body and a solid nicotine hit. Could easily be smoked alone or in a blend.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (32)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I couldn't pass this one up based on the price alone. A bulk Virginia flake by C&D for less the $25 a pound? How could I go wrong? It arrived today and I'm smoking a bowl as we speak.

It seems to be burning relatively well. I suspect rubbing these interesting "chips" out a little before packing might clear up any burn issues. Outdoors this wouldn't be a problem, however, and smoking AS IS might be the way to go.

It's surprisingly full-bodied and has many characteristics that I would normally associate with Burley. If I didn't know any better I would have guessed that there is in fact some Burley in this blend. Very nutty and tobacco-y, with the sweet tang of bright Virginias that I love.

Verdict- it's good. I suspect that it will be fantastic as a blender. My initial try is going to a 50/50 this with McClelland 5100, with a dash of Perique.

If you're looking to stock up that cellar and do it on the cheap, this could be the one.

Pipe Used: Rattray's Craggy Root

Age When Smoked: unknown

Similar Blends: Briar Fox.

BoJackson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BoJackson (4)

I am pretty much a virginia smoker. I tried a sample of the CD Virginia Flake and it was just what I had been looking for in a virginia. This is not a flake tobacco as I have smoked in the past. It is like little chips of tobacco. It packs easily in any type of pipe. I liked it so much I ordered 5 lbs. At $20 a pound from SmokingPipes.com, you can't beat it.

Update Note: If you don't rub this out good, it will bite you bad. Once rubbed out, very very good.

Another so-called flake from C&D bulk. Looks like fish food flakes. Pretty good Virginia. Has good potential as a blender.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (82)

A superb blend of bright Virginias presented in a thick and wide America broken flake. Our piping brothers across the pond in Europe and Britain may be mislead by the name, this isnt the long thin symmetrical and moist flake cut that you may be used to. It's akin to a large cube cut, or really course crushed plug and is served very dry right out of the pouch. Others here have attributed it's appearance and texture to that of granola and im at a loss to describe it any better than that. It might be best to store it out of the kitchen and labeled well, otherwise it may end up in a bowl with some milk. Some pieces are quite large (about the size of an Almond, and about as dense) it's advisable to rub those ones out a tad otherwise this blend is fine filler as received. I find it burns at optimal performance when packed on the looser end of the scale, but individual preferences will prevail. Flavour is that of pure sweet Virginia with a clover/floral sugar note and stays that way the whole way through. Excellent dose of vitamin N and medium in body from start to finish. Terrific on its own, and I think it will age quite well. This flake cut Virginia can be dressed up with nearly anything and taken anywhere. If you are VA/PER smoker it's quite good with a quarter Perique, or just add a pinch of green river vanilla to make a it a lady pleaser. Also pairs nicely with a sliced burley. A well put together blend, continental in nature and an American institution in my books. Every VA smoker should try it.

Pipe Used: MM country gentleman, Capri billiard c

Age When Smoked: current bulk

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Natural Virginia flavor is nice,and taste sweet.But regretfully I think I'm not ready to enjoy this tobacco yet.Recommend for experienced smokers.