Full bodied with cool slow burning positive smoking characteristics.

BrandCondor
Blended ByGallaher Limited
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Taste
Full

3.2
bz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bz (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Very nice tobacco. Similar to Samuel Gawith No.4 Rope, but with an interesting casing reminiscent of rum, dried fruits, and perhaps a hint of tonquin and licquorice.

Based on what I've heard, I was expecting the casing to be over the top, but it's actually very well suited to the base tobacco, and for me is supportive of the tobacco rather than overshadowing it. The 'tin' note was significant, but the casing is quite mellow in the smoke. While it might ghost a pipe, I tend to smoke Lakelands mostly, and I think Condor will be the least of my worries in that regard.

I first tried rubbing out completely, which left a very nice, easy to pack ribbon, but I found the flavour to be somewhat 1-dimensional that way, actually quite similar to when I tried smoking white ox in a pipe (in fact, white ox is probably much closer to the base tobacco flavour of Condor than the No.4 rope is). The second pipe, I used my usual method, which is to fold the flake a couple of times and rip small pieces off the resulting 'log' and sprinkle them into the bowl. This provided a much more complex flavour, and the casing became more noticible.

Condor burns evenly and requires few relights straight out of the pouch.

While I prefer the Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos, I could see myself buying this one again, as it has a certain rugged charm.

sethus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sethus (9)
Very Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

when i was 15 (im now 52), my dad used to smoke this, i nicked his pipe and went to my bedroom and had a go of condor, i tell you Ive never thrown up so much since, a few years later i took up the pipe of my own accord , age 19, went through the aromatics etc, but came back to condor,this is a classic,best smoked in a meer or clay, a MORE than satisfying nic content,flavors of sweet Virginia , rum, spice, whiskey,and flowers,this is perfect !!!! but beware if your new to pipes wait at least 10 years before you try condor.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This review is based on a tinned version of this blend with some age on it. I have been putting this review off for some time hoping that things would change as I have been smoking it on and off for the past three months, but it hasn't. I am a fan of Lakeland flavored flakes and enjoy many of them. I also occasionally enjoy a good strong tobacco. The underlying tobacco is of good quality. It rubs out with ease and that is my preferred way to smoke it. It didn't burn hot for me and I didn't suffer any tongue bite. The bottom line is that I just don't enjoy the flavor and it even upsets my stomach at times. It will also ghost a pipe badly. Based on other reviews, the fact that a flake is sold over the counter is a pretty cool thing. It's too bad we Yanks don't have such a luxury. Condor Long Cut has a great history and if you enjoy Lakelands it's worth a try. If you are looking to venture into Lakelands I think there are better choices. Somewhat Recommended.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Nice and tasty. Perfumy, floral, and sweet at first. Casing vanishes about half way thru the bowl (though not completely) and leaves you with a nice Virginia glow, with a hint of leather.

Enough nicotine to satisfy. Does ghost a pipe fiercely, so try it in a corn cob pipe before smoking in a briar.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Splendid tobacco!

Condor Brown is even better than the Green! As where the Green unveiled mostly a good old Lakeland taste that was progressively replaced by solid, well - aged dark VAs, this unveils some liquor/alcohol taste and is stronger, richer than its sibling.

I am smoking it in a brand new MM Great Dane, for a change, which unleashes all its flavours. Surprisingly, I have a tendency to relate to SG's FVF when I smoke Condor Brown - they have the same creaminess -, but with an alcohol topping, more vitamine N and which behaves much better in its burning qualities.

Gents, this is one fine dark VA flake, with some golden VAs, that you must absolutely try if you can.

As far as I am concerned, Condor Green and Brown will be part of my regular rotation.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Certainly a fairly strong and perfumed smoke; if neither appeal, stay far, far away. While the scents used are a bit on the strong side for me, it made a nice change of pace. I seem to get a bit more of the underlying tobacco in the folded flake than in the ready-rubbed, while in the latter the scents are a bit stronger.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (24)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Strong

Ahh the good old Condor. So i havent been smoking a pipe long but this is one my top top tobaccos, i love the stuff, the flakes are a touch fuller in strength and flavour but its not a bad thing. The scent is quite soapy,floral and leathery. But the smoke it produces is propperly stunning, a nice long slow relaxing chill out smoke. slightly fruity, a little sour but very full thick and a heck of a kick of nicotine. I love condor i know it has some bad press on here but for me its one of my best and there will always be a pouch worth jarred in my little collection, try it just to say you have, it will ghost the hell out of what you smoke it, but first bowl like me you might think what the hell is this, second it grew on me the third i knew it was a keeper. brilliant brilliant smoke.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the early 1960's I smoked this in both plug and flake form. I prefered the plug form overall, but since that is no longer available, I smoke the flakes whenever I can get them.

I travelled in Europe extensively in the 1980's- 2002, and has been suggested, this tobacco is available everywhere. I hadn't smoked any of this in the last 10 years until I found a friend who would send it to me on request.

In my recent re-discovery of this traditional British flake, I very much enjoy this smoke. Certainly not as refined as others available today but a tobacco that seems to never leave my senses. The moment I opened the 50 gr. pouch, it was like an old friend coming home. It is a strong tobacco for many, although I class it as a full body medimum smoke. I smoke it moist and never have trouble keeping it lit.

The floral scent is present and its one of the few scents I have no issues with. Perhaps because of my early smoking experience with this tobacco, and its difficult to get here in the US, I like this tobacco very much and will keep it in my tobacco rotation.

I give it 4 stars because it meets all my criteria for what I consider a great smoke. I smoke this in a group 3-4 size bowl and even though it may "ghost" to some extent, what taste or flavor it does leave, it does not interfere with smoking other strong tobaccos.

...a pipe is to be savored...

jb1991 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jb1991 (4)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

After trying the Ready Rubbed version, I thought I would try the Flake also, when I opened the pouch, I could smell that typical smell that condor has, that soapy, beef jerky, floral and citrusy smell.

Taste wise, it's almost the same as it's ready rubbed brother except a tad weaker, but not by much though, it's still as strong and soapy but with less soap, I know that sounds silly but it's the only way I can describe it, other flavours included a zingy citrus flavour, floral and some spicy rum and cloves, it starts off very soapy but mellows out after the first few puffs, it burns fairly cool too.

One problem is that it ghosts your pipe for a long while and in a way claims it, you should have a pipe dedicated to this blend.

It's not too bad, but I prefer the ready rubbed version, not for a timid beginner either, as the nicotine hit is very strong.

countryman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
countryman (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After coming back into pipe smoking after a break of about fifteen years or so i thought i would start with one of my old favourites,'THE ONE AND ONLY' Condor Long Cut. I know all of us have our own particular tastes and for me when it comes to tobacco nothing else hits those heights of relaxation and enjoyment in quite the same way as this lovely dark brown flake.As soon as i put the first match to the bowl for the charring light i was taken back years as the taste and aroma have not changed a bit and in my estimation that is a good thing because this tobacco is unique.Other reviews i have read describe it's flavour as 'soapy' and i can see what they mean but it's 'soapyness' only adds to it's allurement.In a way this tobacco is hard to pin down but if you want a good relaxing smoke for a peaceful half hour or so a good thing is to mix:Three quarters Condor Long Cut with One quarter Gold Block and enjoy!To sum up this tobacco is dark,mysterious,flavoursome and peace friendly!

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Oh the memories this tobacco brings back. When first opening the brown pouch - those unfamiliar, will be treated to an aroma they will either love or hate and one that will never be forgotten. Hard to describe save to say stong soap or floral -citrusy aftershave scent, which in my humble opinion smells wonderful. Long dark flakes that rub out easy and burn in a manner that defies the moisture. Rich smooth smoke that actually tastes like the pouch scent. Could be considered a little overpowering at first to the amateur. as I soon discovered. However, this quickly became a favourite after dinner smoke for me. The irony is that while one might soon tire of it, one will always return to it in the future, just like an old friend.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (21)

I'd never tried this before, despite its being a readily available OTC in the UK (or maybe because - tobacco snobbery on my part), and have been very pleasantly surprised. It's dry- tasting (which for me is good), full-bodied, and with a hint of dried fruit. The soapy taste, mentioned by others, is detectable, and i could happily do without it, but it's within reasonable limits. It seems to be less noticeable in a meer or clay than in a briar, so I may smoke it only in them from now on. I think it will become a regular smoke for me.

[Edit] I don't think this baccy is very good for briars: it seems to have done for my Invicta Rhodesian. When I smoked 'Squadron Leader' in it recently, after two smokes of Condor, it tasted nothing like it should. Therefore, I'll reserve it for my meers and clays, and give the Rho a longish rest to recover.

Having smoked it a few more times since, I've re vised my initial enthusiasm: it's not bad for an OTC, but that's not saying much. It can be good, but sometimes is too soapy. I've down-graded my recommendation to 'somewhat recommended'.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A thin Dark Flake, full in strength, body and nicotine. Creamy to me, (which others describe as soapy), with a Rich luscious flavor and aroma. Tastes like it smells. Consistent. Lights easy and burns cool to the bottom of the bowl regardless of prep method. I would love to try the bar version someday, albeit Condor is already tough enough to obtain stateside.

Raffles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raffles (11)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

So, the birds fall stricken from the trees and dogs run howling from their masters' feet. It says much about the natural reserve of British reviewers that this towering Irish classic, and last word in the British "floral" style, fails to achieve an overall four-star rating. Still made in its home town in Northern Ireland where it has been for - I'm not sure how long - certainly decades. (And something you can't say about its great rival, St Bruno, which departed Liverpool in the mid-noughties.) If you can obtain some of this, even in ready-rubbed, which doesn't differ too much from the flake, you cannot let the opportunity pass and call yourself a pipe smoker.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (98)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Wasn't sure what to expect when I first bought this, but, being aware of the Condor brand I decided to give it a go. The pleasant aroma of sandalwood - a reminder of the incense from my neo-hippy/new age days - as I opened the packet was a fond reminder of an enjoyable well wasted youth.

Having packed my favourite pipe with the stuff and lit said brand, the sandalwood smell from the packet that rendered so many reminiscences continued to avail itself upon my senses during a I very enjoyable smoke. The lack of any tonguebite or Lesley Ash lips was a welcome surprise on top of a highly satisfactory smoke.

This is now one of my favourite tobaccos and have started making a point of keeping up a steady supply amongst my pipe stash.

I can recommend this without hesitation.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This isn't the same smoke as the ready rubbed. Maybe if you rubbed this out it would be similar to its green jacketed sibling, but as these short, tall, thin flakes are perfect for folding and stuffing I'll never find out.

These flakes are quite thin and not particularly dense so you get more flakes than you'd expect for your money.

Sweet, mellow and with a just a hint of florals this is a tobacco, that once tried, you'll find yourself craving on a regular basis.

This flake is commonly available in British newsagents and perhaps this leads to it being overlooked as a great tobacco. I've tried, but I can't think of a reason why this should be anything other than highly recommended.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Okay, this stuff blows the Condor Ready Rubbed out of the water, it was my main smoke while sailing in the Greek islands this summer, fantastic! If you are looking for a VA based flake that's a heavy hitter, packed with that floral flavor and spice, this is an interesting one to try. It smells familiar upon opening if you've ever tried the ready rubbed, but it smokes much better. It's not something I would smoke all the time, bit too strong for that, but I would recommend trying it especially if you like the strong stuff!

Iain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Iain (1)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I just don't understand all this talk of soap and flowers! To me Condor just tastes like strong, natural Virginia, maybe a slight hint of something leathery in there. One thing is certain Condor is strong, I like strong tobacco so to me this is a good thing, but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. It smokes cool and doesn't bite unless really provoked. I would probably say it should be dried out awhile before smoking although I smoke it straight from the packet in a Falcon. I will happily smoke this regularly, for a readily available OTC (Here in the UK anyway) I feel it knocks several so called ‘Premium' tobaccos down a peg or two.

jeffo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeffo (17)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

i work at a steel works we cannot smoke you can burn weld set fire to the place but not smoke so i smoke a pipe and when we get a brake i sit outside and smoke condor it is a easy smoke and good to chill out with

Albert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albert (6)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Condor Original Long Cut Flake is in an incomparable class of its own. Highly flavoured this will ghost your pipe. I won't have to tell you that again. Best set aside a pipe just for this strong tobacco that has stood the test of time. Solid, seductive nicotine delivery. Don't use a large bowl. Highly recommended.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

25 gram packet. Not sure I smoked enough to get to know this one really well. I did not find the heaviness in strength and nicotine that other reviewers found, but it did ghost a pipe pretty thoroughly with its heavy flavoring.

I love the idea of an "OTC" flake. This flake came cut thin and loading was a breeze using the fold and stuff method. It burned quite nicely if I dried it properly. The flavor was of typical Brit florals and "soap".

A lot of virtual ink has been spilled comparing this to St Bruno. The only comparison I can make is that they both come in pouches and both originated in the UK. This is no St Bruno. Where that blend produces a flavor burst of natural tobacco with a floral topping, this one goes overboard with the flavoring... WAY overboard. The taste was medicinal throughout most of the bowl, and this flavor did not change much until it turned ashen towards the bottom. There were times when it settled into a groove that was quite enjoyable but eventually the thin, artificial taste returned. Whereas most Lakeland blends use flavorings sympathetically, this one seemed more discordant.

I probably will not try this one again anytime soon. However, I think everyone should. It has history, it has a following and it has the "Condor Moment". Unfortunately, I found that moment too momentary. As always, your mileage may vary.

macpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macpuffer (17)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

having tried this years ago when i first started pipe smoking i hated this stuff......oh how my tastes have changed in 20 odd years since i last tried it, having run out of my regular blend which i get via internet , i walked to the local shop, CLC was the only pipe tobacco they had... in a 25g pouch too. I thought "what have i to lose??". Breaking the seal on the pouch I was virtually overwhelmed by the aroma of this tobacco , hard to describe but not off-putting at all....loaded the pipe and fired up........i was astounded how good this blend tasted...a full "soapy" taste which lasted all the way to the bottom of the bowl.....after one pipeful , I liked it, after 3 i loved it and would recommend it to others. i did not think it was overly strong as other reviewers mentioned , but i did smoke it using a small briar. i will certainly be buying more of this, the good thing is it is readily available in scotland at every corner shop and supermarket....the question i am asking myself now is....why have i overlooked this blend all this time??

Update: im updating this review to 4 stars.....it calls to me in my sleep, this is truly wonderful stuff...for me nirvana!!!

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Sorry.

This has the strength of Gawith & Hoggarths Dark Flake. However that is where all comparisons end.

This stuff smokes as hot as hell, and is akin to smoking a bowl full of highly scented soapy 'Cilit Bang' flakes.

Horrible 'ghosting' mess of a tobacco, that thoroughly deserves it's title as an over the counter drug store blend.

All in all this is absolute bollocks in a plastic pouch.

Northern Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipe (5)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable

This is a lovely tobacco, almost like smoking a pipeful of wild flowers! Very soapy but in a good way and very widely available in the UK. I'd recommend this one highly.

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Must admit to approaching this one with caution in middle age, as it turned me green as a youth. This said, though it is pretty in-your-face nicotine-wise, it is probably the best pipe tobacco I've tried to date. Have been enjoying Revor Plug very much, and CLC surpasses it in my opinion. My approach with the latter was to gently dry a couple of the flakes on a warm surface for about 20-30 min, rub them out and fire up. Gorgeous smoke from beginning to end. Cool, richly flavourful, naturally aromatic, a joy. However I'd agree with many other reviewers that this is not for the first-time pipe-smoker, it's a robust one. But if your taste tends to an intense, earthy, full-on smoke then Condor Long Cut is well worth getting to know and appreciate. It's easily available, too, by mail order or over the counter, at least here in the UK.

30.11.12 Update: I put a new, sealed 25gm pouch of this away for 9 months whilst exploring other tobaccos. Opening it recently, it had aged well, becoming the texture of beef jerky. I could see sugar crystals on the surface, and it was readily smokeable out of the pouch. Maybe a tad mellower for the maturation. Beautiful. I like, too, that it is not expensive, and available in corner shops everywhere - no need to pay exorbitant postal rates.

19.8.13 Update: I don't know if anyone else has found this, but the flakes in 25gm pouches seem to be slimmer than in the 50gm ones. I prefer them this way 'cause they are easier to rub out.

Spencer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spencer (5)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

This is a real old English smoke. Can be rubbed out or folded if prefered. I found cellering for a couple of months dried it out a bit and made for an easier smoke with less re-lights. I smoke this tobacco in a small bowl mearchaum which doesn't suffer from being " ghosted" like a briar can. A thick, Robust smoke with an almost peaty taste. Like smoking an old wood fire. I get a sort of leathery flavour coming through which I find pleasant and yes the subtle floral bouquet is there. A mans smoke with a good of whack of Nicotine. One bowl does the job. A good evening smoke to be enjoyed away from the missis who insists on coughing and spluttering, ruining the whole experience lol !

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the "non plus ultra". Dark black flakes, the same vinous slightly sour nose as the ready rubbed, but a fuller and smoother smoke with none of the harshness at the back of the throat that you sometimes get from the ready rubbed. A classic, to be treated with respect. And best smoked in a small pipe or sitting down!

Scots Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scots Jim (8)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

I agree with The Full English's review, apart from the fact that I've always preferred the long cut to the ready rubbed Condor.

This is a tobacco I found myself eventually gravitating toward for the folowing reasons -

1) My grandfather smoked this ( and Warhorse )

2) Out of all the "over the counter" brands in the UK, this is the only one I ever really rated.

3) Lovely nicotine kick.

I'd recommend this. Not for the newcomer or those who don't like a strong smoke.

P.S. As for the room note...I am designated to the garden by the wife if I try to smoke this in the house :)

umm_bacon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
umm_bacon (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have only smoked two bowls of this, and only have enough for maybe one more. That is probably the last time I will ever smoke this, and that makes me kind of sad. This is another experience for me. This is not a subtle smoke. Lakeland soap taste to number 11. Condor Original Long Cut does go to 11 on the soap taste for me. I am not sure why, but I like it. Wouldn't want to smoke it every day, but I do with that I could get my hands on more of this.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

The flake variety is not so far removed from the ready-rubbed, so I'll echo my sentiments regarding the latter, from a prior review:

This review completes my experiment with the three major commercially available tobacco brands in rubbed form here in the UK - those being Clan, St. Bruno, and Condor. The latter is, without a doubt, the best, and proves that there is some credence in entrusting your choices locally, as opposed to the specialist. Without a doubt, this is a classic Lakeland style tobacco, but although the usual floral scent and soapy taste that usually fires a warning shot is present, I find the casing to be much more acceptable and palatable than that found in many other brands - notably the Gawiths. Indeed, it's a good deal more nectarous, slightly spicy, and a damn sight more unusual, without impinging on what seems to be a naturally sweet Virginia base.

I don't find this to be particularly overly cased, nor that potent, if truth be told. The flavours seem well-balanced and seemed a far cry from the "Condor Moment" which smacked of the sourness you'd expect from some of the more pungent Burleys in the Peterson line. It does contain a good dose of the old Vitamin N, but it's well managed.

The only downsides are really the ghosting and the need for several re-lights; though it's a moist tobacco that burns surprisingly well, it becomes a bit top- heavy with ash. Furthermore, the room note is a tad monotonous and a touch off- putting for some, but everything is there in the smoke itself, which really sings. I can't dedicate a pipe to this, so I'm anticipating some aftercare with my Peterson System, but it's a small price to pay for a quality smoke that I can purchase where I want, when I want - and in smaller pouch sizes that neither break the bank, nor become boring.

Addendum:

The flake variant tastes slightly fuller, with a more pronounced sour note. It's moderately moist, easy to rub out and light, and it's particularly noteworthy as a consistent smoke, with a full body of flavour being generated in the second half of the bowl. Again, a great smoke that burns to a voluminous plume, and a fluffy ash of less quantity than it's rubbed version.

Overall, I think I prefer the balance of the ready-rubbed over the long cut, but the two are so very similar that you could probably juggle them in the same pipe. It's a testament to the blender that they've made a rub that can still hold it's own against the flake. Two ace cuts - and the champion of commercial smokes.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

At first it is essential to state - I like lakeland tobaccos even chocolate tobaccos. That said it is easy to concentrate on condor. This is a very traditional mixture, that has gained hight reputation in the group of experienced smokers. It comes perfectly moist to smoke it out of the pouch. The flakes are a bit smaller than others I use & more reliable in thickness (SG sometimes fills thick and thin strips in one tin). This makes it easy to load the pipe. I smoke all sorts of pipes especially condor makes it more easy to use smaller pipes. Burns easy down to the bottom of the pipe because of the good quality of leaf. Stays cool and calm no problems with dottle. This is a perfect companion during working the garden, walking the dog ... NOt in my daily rotation but I always have some 25 g pouches at home. Not for purists or novices but a good try for people with an open tongue & nose ;-)

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I reviewed this blend several years ago, somehow it ended up in the Condor Ready Rubbed section, a mystery as I've never liked the RR version much and never reviewed it...

This blend was a long time favorite of mine, that is now sadly no longer exported to the USA. I first tried this blend at a Yorkshire tobacconist's recommendation while purchasing a new pipe. I had never encountered a flake tobacco before, so I had to ask him how to use it. I have a good friend in the UK who can keep me supplied with Condor, and there are several tobacconists who will ship to the USA.

Fortunately, I've found that SG Bracken Flake is quite similar to Condor at least as far as a substitute goes when I can't reliably get my hands on it.

Appearance: A mostly black with some brown and tan mottling leathery flake of varying thickness.

Aroma: The first thing that is apparent when opening a pouch of Condor is that it is fairly heavily scented. What kind of defies me is to decide what that scent is. I pick up tones of black cherry, something sweet and vaguely like molasses and hints of rose. Rose you say? Yes rose, as in Greek Rose Petal preserves (not a regular on many an American table). I can also detect deep air cured Virginias and an underlying nuttiness, and musty quality. Put side by side with SG Bracken Flake they smell very similar. This tobacco seems perfect for smoking as soon as the seal on the pouch is broken. As with most flake tobaccos I simply take several flakes together, fold them in half and insert them length-wise into the bowl trimming off the excess. I find it has a much better burn this way and makes for a long enjoyable smoke.

For this review, I've chosen an Edward's Husky Canadian which is dedicated to scented flakes.

A first light is brings billows of rich white smoke, followed with a brief visit of the tamper and then a tamping light. The topping or casing is immediately there and while a bit odd at first becomes a nice compliment to the fine quality leaf underneath. Flavors of cherry, rose and a deep nuttiness are exhaled with increasing pleasure. This is a delightful flake, which rather rapidly dispels myths of 'English Soap'. The flavors are intense and build rapidly while the topping or casing gradually fade into the background. Many Americans will not likely enjoy this flavor, but I do.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and while I wouldn't call this mixture particularly complex, the topping or casing gradually fade completely into the background but never leave the scene. The Virginias build in depth and character while the topping/casing gently fade. This blend can get away from you if you are not careful with technique. That is not to say that it will bite, I've never experienced tongue-bite with this blend. Rather, the tobacco is a bit temperamental and can be over-puffed to the point of extreme bitterness. If one takes the time to smoke this slowly and methodically a sweet, rich and flavorful voyage is there for the taking.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I find that it becomes more intense though never overpoweringly so. The tobacco eventually becomes the most dominant component with the topping/casing fading in intensity. Deep and resonant forest, leather and cigar tones emerge from the heart of this blend. The sweetness and topping/casing never fully leave, yet their initial flavors have matured and ripened into a fascinating mixture of stewed fruits and rich adult pleasures.

Supplemental Notes:

I must add that now being in possession of both SG Bracken Flake and Condor Long Cut at the same time, my observation remains, they are very similar and for me at least BF is a good substitute though not a direct 1:1 'copy' of each other. BF will defiantly scratch the itch for me.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you like a thick smoke with nicotine power and robust tobacco taste you would like this one. And I might add, it has also a soapy flavor, too.

The flakes need to be dried as they reach in a well moistened grade. Lights easily and it is easy to keep it lit. It burns very slowly and offers a long lasting pipe smoking experience. It has a good nicotine kick which overwhelmed me in the big bowled pipes when I've reached the bottom.

The robust and soapy taste/smell of the tobacco gets into your pipes and stays there even if you puff a half bottle of pipe cleaning spray into these pipes. So I recommend using dedicated pipe(s) for this blend. Do not use your best pipe before you assure yourself if you are going to be a fan of Condor!

I personally like tobaccos with much more classical Virginia sweet, true tobacco taste. So Condor is out of my list for now.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A strong, traditional English flake - unchanged, as far as I can tell, in decades. Needs to be sipped, and certainly not one for the beginner; but if you like robust and unpretentious flakes, this is one for you. It's cool, slow burning and consistent, and the flavour gets markedly fuller and 'rounder' from about half- way down the bowl. It's a bit like a punchier version of G & H's Dark Flake, but without any 'cigar' note. It has a rather sour note somewhere in it that some people dislike, though (it tastes as though marinaded in urine, my late father-in-law used to say). If you don't like the taste, give Sinclair's Highland Sliced a try. Personally, I can tolerate, and even quite like, the flavouring for a while, but I find myself getting tired of it sooner or later and moving on to something else. The flavouring is less pronounced, though, if you let the tobacco sit in a jar for a couple of days before smoking any of it. Don't smoke it straight out of the packet.

Condor probably suits a small-bowled pipe better than a large one: the nicotine content is high, and it'll sit you down hard if you don't treat it with circumspection. The room note is pronounced and characteristic: pleasant if you like the smell of pipe-smoke, but perhaps a bit hard on innocent bystanders who don't. To me, it's intensely nostalgic: the smell of yesterday. Condor also gives you a delicious moment when you open the pouch. it used to be available in sliced, bar, twist and pigtail forms (the last two were pretty hairy, I remember), but I think these have long gone. I haven't seen them in England for years, anyway. Condor will leave a mighty ghost in your pipe, BTW.

I have to admit that Condor a little strong for me, but I'm happy to recommend it to people who like a tough, masculine baccy. On the whole, I think it's the best of the OTC blends (though St Bruno Flake runs it a pretty close second). Some pipemen are a little snooty about it; it's a blue-collar smoke available in most B&Ms. So what? It's good stuff, and let's be thankful that, unlike many old favourites, it hasn't disappeared. Yet.

Update, 5 March, 2012: If you fill your pipe[s} about 12 hours before you want to smoke it/them and just let it/them sit, the difference to the quality of the smoke that Condor LC will give you is truly amazing. I stumbled across this trick by accident, but I guess it'll work for anyone. Worth a try, anyway.

Strong Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was so excited when zi opened the mailbox and I had a package from England! When I opened it, the wonderful aroma of the Lakelands permeated the air and I found a pouch of Condor Original Long Cut. As I loved the Condor Ready Rubbed I bought when in Cork Ireland when I was there in April, I was thrilled to get the flake version in the brown pouch. So, I rolled a flake up, put it in a Peterson system pipe and let it sit for about half an hour. I then sat on my deck over looking the lake I live on with a cold beer and lit up this wonderful mana from Britain. The pouch contained flakes of a very dark brown, and of course the pouch aroma was the perfume smell of a Highlands Blend. It rolled easily and as I was impatient and did not dry it out enough for an easy light, it took several tries to get it lit. But, I did not care, the wonderful flavor of a dark VA and the special flavor one gets from this type of tobacco, rolled off my tongue and gave me a wonderful, sweet, full, taste and a wonderful aroma. Yes, it will make birds fall from the sky, but to me, it is a wonderful aroma.

This is a full bodied, slow smoking blend that one must sip to appreciate. It slowly burned down to a light grey fine ash with no dottle or moisture left in my pipe. It did leave a ghost in my pipe that made my next two bowls of PA taste like a wonderful British Blend with a burley base, but that has been a good thing for me. Then this late evening, after leaving a few flakes sitting out in fron of my air conditioning intake, I again lit a fresh pipe of this wonderful blend again, of course in a British pipe, and was gain was rewarded with a wonderful smoke that was easy to light and every bit as satisfying to me. I sure wish that this brand would be imported to the states, as I just love the stuff. I think I could live on just it. I highly recommend trying this blend and I put it as one of my favorite tobaccos.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Definitely worth a try if you're into "Lakeland" style tobaccos. Straight out of the pouch, I found it smoked a little moist and did require several relights. However, I experienced only a hint of tongue bite with gentle puffing. Condor is medium to strong on nicotine, so quite a satisfying smoke and the Lakeland taste is there in spades.

Overall, a decent smoke and a nice change of pace from my usual staple of Latakias, orientals & aged Virginias. However I'm giving just two stars because when I'm in the mood for a Lakeland style smoke I prefer the offerings of Gawith Hogarth and Samuel Gawith.

Stevethesuperhero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stevethesuperhero (7)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Breaking the seal, one is presented with about a dozen flakes in a 25g pouch. Moist, soft and pliable. The first thing to say (that really shouldn't be necessary but so many people make the mistake) is to DRY IT OUT! Like most tobaccos, it will flame your tongue if smoked straight from the packet.

Then we light up. Flavour-wise a cousin of St Bruno and an older brother of Grousemoor, there is a large dose of "floral British", as I like to refer to it. It starts from the first light and, although softens down the bowl, never really fades.

In fact, if this is your thing, you will love Condor Long Cut. For the flavour is not overpowering and beneath it there are high quality dark tobacs. Cool, slow, even burning, this tobacco behaves very well throughout the bowl.

It is an acquired taste, nothing more or less noble than that. If you don't like that "floral British" flavour, you won't like Condor - that doesn't make it a bad tobacco. In fact, if you do like it, this will be close to perfection.

For one who wants to begin to understand this tobacco at its best, I recommend getting to grips with Grousemoor first, to sort of tune in your tastes to this unique flavour profile. Then you can fully experience the might that is the one and only...CONDOR!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I have taken advantage of a short holiday in Amalfi to study three products:

- Orlik Golden Sliced

- Condor Long Cut

- McBs HH Vintage Syrian

Here my impressions about the second one.

Two pouches of CLC came to me from JJFox in London (alongwith a couple of St. Bruno and one of Players Navy Flake). I have strongly desired to taste these oldies again, and still remember the small rectangular tins of Condor, Sweet Dark Honeydew (not to name the pure Latakia) and their rusted inner edges. They still were under the Gallaher's brand... and I was just twenty. The latest experience I got with Condor was with the RR form in the very beginning of the nineties. So, the new meeting with CLC was simply a sentimental matter, a very pleasant situation.

CLC comes in a sealed plastic pouch of brown colour (the tin was greenish), the rear showing a terrific photo of a wide open devastated mouth at a dentist! After the breaking of the seal, the inconfondible aroma: soapy, flowerish, fruity. The colour is dark and very dark brown with bright specs inside. Some 20/25 flakes, thin and quite short. I guess that if offered in loose cut, CLC would be a shag.

I have prepared a couple of slices and had them airing out for half an hour, folded them and rubbed a bit, loaded into an old sandblasted Savinelli Punto Oro no. 105 (small bowl billiard), which was previously used for University and Irish Flake. Just the shape of pipe a true Englishmen would use for CLC... Upon lighting the tobacco surface has a violent reaction and need a couple of energic tamperings, relight and&peaceful slow, cool smoke.

A soapy smoke, or better, the perfumes we do associate with soap on a sweet base. Very refreshing indeed, with citrusy notes over a flowery base. This is steady through to the end of the pipeful. A deserving experience, maybe not for the summer season. We are talking of a scented flake of old school, strong but no too much strong (it starts understatingly medium and steadily proceeds - puff after puff - just to the strong, never reaching the brutality of and Irish Flake).

Regarding the weed, I guess we are talking of heavily stoved Va's, but I suspect some Ky is also in the play. Who cares ? It's the whole thing which counts here. Dedicated pipe(s) is a must, Condor will be indelibly ghost your pipe. Daily use? Not for me, thank you. Do you drink liquors daily ?

Scented flakes is a genre of its own, if I am to rate it for the TR community guide, I would give two stars. But, I have said above this is a sentimental matter of mine, and the rating is just for my appreciation: four stars.

CLC is something love-or-hate: I simply love it.

Stephen Redrobe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stephen Redrobe (5)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

My review of this tobacco originally appeared here, but due, presumably, to some database error on this site, it now appears on the page for the ready-rubbed version. I am therefore putting it back where it belongs, as the long cut version is my regular smoke:

I was sitting on a bench in the garden the other day, smoking my pipe and studying a rare, abstruse text, when a large magpie fell from the tree branch directly above me, paralyzed from the beak down. You see, I was not smoking any ordinary tobacco - I was smoking the mighty Condor.

This was the only tobacco that struck terror into the heart of my great-uncle Jack - an inveterate St Bruno smoker.

Upon opening the tin (or pouch these days), one is greeted by a very pleasant aroma of something perfumy, which I have never been able to positively identify. The flowery aroma is different, and less pronounced than that found in Coniston Cut Plug. It is also nicer (but perhaps that is due to its familiarity over so many years). There is also an aroma of good, rich, potent tobacco, which leaves the sniffer in no doubt whatsoever that a substantial smoke lies ahead.

The flakes are dark and foreboding; just nicely moist and of consistent dimensions - three flakes for a large billiard (I just can't bring myself to smoke a smaller bowl of this).

Once the smoker has plucked up the courage, girded his loins and applied flame, the very traditional, correct and proper, British, perfumy (delightfully so) taste is to the fore. However, this soon withdraws to the wings, leaving a very full, rich tobacco flavour centre-stage. It is at this point that many reviewers will begin to describe their favourite tobaccos with adjectives such as 'nutty', 'leathery' and goodness knows what. Suffice to say that this tastes of rich tobacco and it is heavenly (blast - an adjective).

It lights easily and burns slowly right down to the bottom, leaving a fine, white ash.

Ladies love the smell of Condor, by the way.

Condor - the King of pipe tobaccos.

The magpie flew away after an hour or so.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch says..."Break seal gently...for that Condor moment." I didn't notice that admonition until the second or third helping, and I think I missed the moment. This is the Original Condor Long Cut flake in the brown 50g pouch.

The flake is soft, pliable, and moist, about 1.0" x 2.5", very thin, dark with a few lighter streaks. As for the pouch aroma, I thought of several mild to medium English blends. I was expecting something like Ennerdale after reading a number of warnings in the Condor Ready Rubbed reviews.

Initially, an extremely cool, sweet, Lakeland whammy. There is more of that Lakeland essence than is suggested by the pouch, but it is no Ennerdale. By the way, I like Ennerdale. Mid-bowl it is still predominately sweet and very cool, but slightly bitter, in a good way. My wife makes a soup out of a green, cucumber-sized, hard and bumpy object that contains white pumpkin seed sized seeds that she hollows out and stuffs with ground pork, black flat mushrooms (fungi?), clear noodles, onions, and black pepper. The broth (pork) is delicious, but the melon, she calls it bitter melon soup, is, well, bitter. If you have spent time in SE Asia you probably encountered this soup. Condor is that kind of bitter, not nearly as bitter, but that kind of pleasant bitter taste. Yet, sweet.

Condor, in this flake format, burns cool and dry to a powdery off-white ash. No tongue bite, no palate coat, no overwhelming nicotine, no negatives for me.

The Lakeland essence does not disappear like I predicted it would. So you end up with a sweet English/Balkan with Lakeland essence, and this interesting, mildly bitter finish. It is full and medium to strong, but no ringing of the ears like with 1792 and some twists or ropes. I think I taste a mature and sweet VA, Orientals, a little Latakia, a little Turkish, and of course, the Lakeland essence.

Condor is easily obtained from an Otley, UK internet tobacconist, and several other UK shops. Condor, St. Bruno, Warrior Plug, Yachtman Navy Plug, Mick McQuaid Plug, and more delivered to your door in one week. I overlooked the Revor Plug, dangit. Note to self: must try the Black XXX Gawith Hoggarth twist.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing Condor to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well this is an old stalwart for sure and though Mo and I are the first reviewers here, you will find a good few more on the other Condor pages as they were all lumped together for a while.

I've known this tobacco for nearly 50 years and it's always been a basic flavoured English tobacco, very popular hence why it still survives.

Of all the Condor varities available here, I think this one is way out the best. It's a flake of course as opposed to the ready rubbed and I prefer the fuller flavour and the longer smoke that results. For those of you who havent tried it, it is very dark in appearance with a strong leathery scent, stronger than St Bruno though not unlike it actually. It does have the effect of leaving its mark on the pipe it's smoked in...so it's best to dedicate one to it. Taste wise; it's strongish in Vitamin N, it brings a full virginia taste with the topping still there of floral/leather hints. It's a solid no nonsense tobacco though, if you are not used to strong English flakes, be ready for this. I give it full marks. It's a classic...I just hope it survives a bit longer.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I bought this in desperation from a supermarket (my local 'tobacconist' (a non smoker) can't be persuaded to order decent stuff and I tire a bit of mail order 'baccy). 'Oh, perhaps it isn't all that bad' I thought, and bought 25g on spec.

Sometimes, it's not absolutely awful. And, then again, sometimes it tastes like you're sucking on a burning sock soaked in liquid hairspray. I'll never buy this again.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)
Strong Extra Strong Full Tolerable

I am flattered to be the first to review this legend. I think my review of the ready rubbed version applies to this blend too. Mo, South Africa