A blend of dark and bright Virginias with strong Perique from Louisiana. The blend is pressed into thin plates, which are matured under pressure before being spun tightly into rolls around a core of Black Cavendish. Again the rolls mature before being cut and packed. Tobacco from three continents. Know it on the black eye!

Notes: It was released as a replica of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls.
Discontinued in late 2013.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S

3.8
Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Going through a bit of a VaP phase at the minute as I've realised that I have smoked less of these than I'd like. I got this one as a recommendation on Pipe Smokers Forum and was quite looking forward to tucking in given its' supposed similarity to Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls. I have to say though, given that Orlik blend both this and the Rolls and the similarity in appearance to them, save for the bull's eye of black cavendish in this, I'd not have been surprised if it had been called "Conflict of Interest". However, it takes a full tasting to see if the similarities stop there.

The tin aroma is nothing to write home about, hints of chocolate and some oakiness maybe. Rubbing out and packing is easy, some folk seem to use two rolls but I find one is more than enough to get a good hour's smoking time. Lighting is fairly easy so no worries there. As for the flavours, it took me quite a few smokes to discern them but now I seem to be finding new ones every time I light this stuff up. There's the light, lemony, syrupy sweetness that pops through a little similar to navy rolls but nicer, there's a buttery creaminess, there's chocolates, there's ooh la la by the bucket load. The flavours are delicate but also very nice, the way they fold into one another too provides a melange I think I would struggle to find in another tobacco, the only one I can think of is the lats, Turkish and virginias in Squadron Leader.

Before smoking this, I was barely aware, or interested, in how many VaPs (why are they called VaPs and not PerVs? Or does that answer itself?) I'd smoked. This one though, has made me sit up and take notice. It's got a smoothness and a variety and quality of flavour that's simply not present in de luxe navy rolls and is just wholely more satisfying. Although I think I would prefer a four star lat to this, I am quite happy to give this full marks. The only question is, given that this is nicer than and a good couple of quid cheaper than a decent enough brand name,why would anyone go for the navy rolls? I Guess a more appropriate name would be "Why would anyone buy Dunhill?".

FunkyD in the Morning Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunkyD in the Morning (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm pretty sure that in the smokingpipes/pipesmagazine videos, Orlik says that this blend is the exact same thing as Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye...AND CHEAP!

Do I know for a fact? No. How can I?

Is there video evidence of Mr. Troels Juul Mikkelsen, the factory manager saying this? Yes.

YouTube Video

Maccas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maccas (6)

My first VaPer - watched a welsh guy reviewing this on utube and decided to give it a go. I smoked this in a small pipe, outside on a gentle February morning. Rubbed out two discs and made sure the black eye was evenly distributed. The tin contents had slight aroma - not over powering gentle like moist fruit cake. The pipe packed well and took tree matches to scorch and light - no issues there. The welsh fellow talked of a taste and mouth sensation like chilli chocolate - could not agree more. I thought the tingle was the begginings of Bite so was slightly disappointed but how wrong I was. The tingle was just a lovely enhancement. The pipe smoked well although as I enjoyed it I puffed at it a bit hard. I do not have a nicotine habit and so sometime suffer with a kick from the N drug - this baccy give me a gentle nudge in that direction and therefore stopped me puffing too hard on it. No bite, nice taste - not the ultimate pipe baccy I am looking for but definately very good. There was a gurgle in the pipe so I have rubbed out two more discs to dry out slightly and I am going to have a bowlful tonight with a dark ale. Give it a go.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my third VAPER tobacco I try, the first two being the St James' and Louisiana Flakes (SG and GH).

The smell from the tin is reminiscent of St James flake (pot pourri and fruit purée), however it is much weaker and seems less fresh.

Rubbing this tobacco is easy and I put two coins in my pipe. The taste as expected is excellent less strong than the other VAPER flakes I tried.

The Perique content I suspect is not very high, but it is very well balanced with the Virginia taste. The Black Cavendish is unnoticeable for me, maybe it is just there to make the tobacco taste milder.

Overall, it is a very nice tobacco, but for the taste alone (and price too), I would choose St James Flake over this one any day.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a tobacco out of the clone comprising Orlik Bull's Eye Flake, Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions. I tried them all, and they are all the same, only difference is price and country of availability. Excellent VAPer, with a core of Cavendish. Not as bold as Escudo or Dunhill DLNR would be (w/o the Cavendish core), but more “subtle”. A treat which has earned its own pipe, and showing its full performance after a couple of bowls.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A good tobacco. All the components can be scented: The Virginias, Perique and the nucleos of Black Cavendish. Four Stars for People that enjoy pure Virginias and Virginia with Perique blends. I'm not a specialist in VAPERs or in pure Virginias, but i enjoy this. Observation: In the Tobacco reviews Database, this is the same Blend so-called: "Bull's Eye Flake".

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

well where do i start on this treat of a blend, i love my perique mixtures and it was a toss up between night cap and this and seen as though the night cap was out of stock i opted for this, but let me tell you although it was a second choice never has a second choice been such a good choice. opening the tin, you get round about twenty five "coins" of a gorgeous mixture of bright and dark virginias mixed with the fabled perique then wrapped round a core of black cavendish, now im useless at smoking flakes so i rubbed the full lot out and left it for a week till today. opening the tin, theres a lovely sour aroma with a lovely underlying sweetness with the perfect moisture content, it packs so easily into my pipe and lighting up i was slightly surprised the flavours are very delicate and subtle but not so much you have to work hard to dig them out, theres a lovely underlying sweetness, with a subtle pepperyness, with a not so overly strong yeasty taste to it, the smoke is lovely and thick and creamy but the finish is bone dry, but hey i aint complaining. On a slightly funny note if a few people in a room are smoking this then to find them you may need a fog horn. but all in all this is a lovely smoke and i would say its a perfect vaper mix for smokers who want to venture into perique mixtures, im glad in a way night cap was out of stock because this is a gorgeous blend and 11 quid well spent, will deffinitely try to have this in my rotation, highly recommended and a must try for people looking for a different style or change of pace because this is a slow smoker and perfect for the times when you just want to relax and savour a good tobacco or think things over, and to top it off it has a nice room note. what more could you possibly ask for.

salopst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
salopst (14)

Yes another four stars for this one. One medallion folded and topped off with some broken bits from the bottom of the tin and this burns perfectly.

What more to say about flavors really that has not been said by those with finer understanding of tobaccos than I have? I get the hint of chocolate and the yeast, but not the peppery tones, not even when I exhale though my nose,-- unless I sniff the bowl.

I definitely will be getting more of this!

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)

As the other reviews say, just get this stuff. Yes, similar to Navy Rolls, but so much more complex, not as refined and one dimensional. A wonderfully fruity tang, dark and spicy, the sort of creamy smoke that makes you want to literally bite down on it and eat it! For my palette, a perfect companion with Dunhill's Royal Yacht, just smoke the Bull's Eye before the Yacht, as it may seem a bit flat following Royal Yacht. I find two discs per bowl, rubbed out, is the perfect amount. 25 discs per tin, 12 bowlfuls.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)

When you see the exquisite presentation in the tin you know this'll be a luxuriant smoke.

Classy, elegant and scrumptious. Sweet, yeasty and charming. Delightful, delicious and divine. I could sit here all night thinking of hat tricks of adjectives, but this is one of those tobaccos where I want to say: don't bother with the reviews, just try it.

Rubbed out or folded these medallions are luscious evening smokes.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

If you like perique with a tiny drop of sweetness from the Cavendish and VA grassiness, then this is your kiddie. The perique is definitely there though, and in just the right quantity for me.

For those aged in their mid 30's in the UK, you may remember that you used to be able to buy red gob-stopper style sweets called 'Fireballs'

They came in packs of 3, and most corner shops near to schools would sell them at 10p a pack. The zing of perique is similar, though not quite as strong as the hit you got from those little red devils.

Nice...

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I must admit that I am not a huge perique freak, but I do enjoy a dose of the spicy stuff every now and then.

This is a solid blend, no doubt. I think that Davidoff flake medallions, which are similar in style, are possibly a bit higher in perique content. That puts the Davidoff offering ahead in my book, but these little discs do shine for me when they are in the right pipe. My churchwarden seems to smoke them very well. I like to push the cavendish out of the centre then stuff the rest of the flake and crumble the cavendish on top. The cavendish takes the light, then you get a nice kick of perique a minute of two after the opening puffs.

I think that McConnell's Scottish Cake or Gawith's St James flake will probably be my VaPer blends of choice going forward, but I am pleased that I took the time to revisit this one.

I can see that this could be a big hit for some pipers and there are no problems with the all round quality. For me it doesn't quite hit the spot and there are other VaPer blends I enjoy more, but it definitely deserves a solid three stars - Recommended.

dieubussy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dieubussy (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

By using the name Bull's Eye, Orlik is in fact using a double- entendre: on the one hand we have the image of the slice, in its beautiful circular patterns between light and dark tobaccos, evoking the image of a practice target. However, as I've learned, the second meaning behind the name on the tin comes from the fact that the blender got the exact proportion - spot on! - of tobaccos used to build this monumental mixture.

It has that citrus flavor that is also available on the "Golden Sliced" variety - which I consider a top everyday flake smoke-, even if this mixture is an even bigger treat due to the heavenly Perique added to it: I often think its the dark Cavendish that opens the way for the Perique to unwrap It's one of those pleasures that remains burned vividly in my memory hours or days after I smoke it, just like a special reserve wine one drinks on special occasions and never forget. Unless you don't enjoy tobacco smoking at all or have lost your sense of smell and taste, I see no reason why you should not try to unravel the complexities of this exemplary blend.

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

How many times have you opened a tin or pouch and the beautiful smell has your mouth watering but the actual smoke does not deliver? Or, the wording on the tin/pouch promises the world but delivers blandness?

Orlik Bull's Eye promises nothing. There is no description on the tin, there is no fruity or sweetened smell attacking your senses, just a very mild tobacco smell.

The circular discs are distinctive and being my first tin of Bull's Eye they are a great novelty. I pulled out the black centres before rubbing the discs out and then sprinkled the centres into the bowl as I filled it.

After an easy light I waited for something to happen.. and waited a little longer. At first I thought I had tongue bite which gave me great disappointment so I put my pipe down to rest, but my tongue was crying out for something, something I couldnt quite put my finger on. Then it hit me like a bolt .. I wanted MORE!!!

My tongue was warming with a strong peppery taste which just got better and better, rubbing my tongue around in my mouth it picked up a sweetness which complimented it. The sweetness dulled the sharpness of the pepper and the two flavours work so well together

Orlik Bull's Eye is fantastic.

It is black & white, chalk & cheese, sweet & sour, it is opposites attract. This tobacco is special and needs to be savoured, it is to strong a flavour for me to be used everyday but I will make sure I always have a tin of this to hand.

It deserves every one of its four stars.

Aromaniac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromaniac (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I like that tickling in my nostrils..

This is by far the best and most complete va/per I have ever smoked. So incredibly smooth, yet unmistakebly strong perique. I think cavendish evens it out and makes this an sweet n strong kinda thing. You just find yourself making these almost explicit noises while smoking this. You find yourself thinkin "why the hell doesn't every perique blend taste this way"? I have no idea why this is so much better than all the others I've tried, it just is. And it is SO easy to light and smoke. I have gone through two tins now, and not even once have I had to relight this very high-grade tobacco. I think I might be converted to pure tobaccos now!

Sweet, mellow, stout and very easy going. Highly recommended for just about anybody! Because it is sweet enough to convert the aromaniacs, but also stout enough for the kentucky or english lover.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)

Full marks for novelty value. Very appealing round straw-like spins of Virginia and Perique with a solid, chocolatey block of Black Cavendish in the middle. A fresh, light, zesty aroma in the tin. Fun to prepare - I prefer to squidge it all up in a ball so that the Cavendish is somewhere in the centre, slightly crumbled, so that I hit it as a nice little surprise in the middle of the smoke. One disc is quite a quick smoke and there's lots of flavours in this, as promised by the selection of tobaccos, so that it is a rewarding experience to meditate on.

There's no flavourings that I could detect, though I am probably putting most of the flavours down to the Perique, which I'm not that familiar with.

Good stuff.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco makes me sad. Not because it's bad tobacco, quite the opposite. This could be the finest tobacco ever produced. It makes me sad because I just know that there will come a day when I will not be able to get it anymore or the blender will change the recipe or some other horrific tragedy will befall the world of pipe smokers and we will be left, broken and in despair, without access to this perfect product.

The sealed tin is easily popped with a coin and the twist-top lid removed to reveal a tin aroma of good tobacco with a subtle hint of, what I would say was, dates.

The tobacco comes at almost optimum humidity and the thin disks can be rubbed out and loaded so easily you'll think they did it by themselves.

It lights and stays lit easily, burning cleanly to the finish. The flavour being rich and moreish, slightly sweet and spiced, approaching that of a Christmas cake perhaps but somehow much softer; creamier and sweeter (a clootie dumpling is probably a more accurate, if more obscure, taste reference)

I never want the experience to end.

The price is good (in these parts, at least), the taste magnificent and it doesn't bite, leave any residue or misbehave in anyway whatsoever. I can't think of anything this tobacco is lacking (except, perhaps, the ready availability enjoyed by some (much) lesser brands).

Woe is me, that I should know such luxury! If I had not seen such riches I could live with being poor.

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)

This could be just about the perfect va/per out there!

Upon opening the tin, it's the smell of rye from the high-class Perique that dominate. Newly baked rye bread? Discrete yet wonderful!

The rolls are a sight for sore eyes. I always rub them out completely though, but no matter how you fill your pipe, I find it most rewarding in a thick-walled briar. Preferably as big a pipe as possible, 'cause you never want this world class smoke to end.

I've cellared a few tins, because I have a feeling this tobacco will age like the finest wine, and it's like it is intended for aging.

Well if you are familiar with Dunhill's Navy Rolls, you know how this tobacco taste and behaves. It surely is the 1:1 replica of that. Well no, not really, it is very similar, but way better.

I'm pretty confident this will be an even greater tobacco with aging, but as of right now, it is a high-class four-star smoke. Orlik is in my book the finest house of tobaccos today, and the fact that they've been around for many, many decades, speaks for the highest grade of leafs and the ultimate art of blending.

Escudo, Haddo's, Solani... Well they're all good VaPer's, but Bull's Eye is in a league entirely of it's own.

It's kept very simple, but maybe that's what makes it the worlds greatest Virginia/Perique.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you seek for a real Virginia-Perique blend in which the Perique addition is dominant and tickles your nose and palate, here you go! This might be a very good choice.

The disks are elegantly presented. The tobacco packs and lights easily. Offers a real Virginia sweetness covered nicely by the peppery flavor of the Perique. I enjoyed the smoke overall from top to bottom of each bowl. It doesn't get very strong to overwhelm my needs even when reached to the bottom.

I highly recommend it to Perique lovers. If you are a beginner without any Perique experience, better begin knowing the Perique with an other blend, this may overwhelm you!

"PUFF" Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
"PUFF" (6)

This is a fine re-make of the Deluxe Navy Rolls by Dunhill. It is a beautiful blend of tobaccos rolled cigar-like, and then after curing/aging, is sliced into thin wafers, "sausage"-style. Solid Black Cavendish center & surrounding Virginias give it a sweet, full of flavor, smoke. A little Perique wafting in a bit. The hint of citrus perhaps comes from a tobacco I think, - very faint, very natural. A wonderful pipe to have in the early morning, it has copious amounts of smoke, rich & a faintly fruity undertone - tastes great smoked slowly. Room note, very acceptable. It's a well prepared product, and retains it's old-time quality, ..a very friendly and desirable old world tobacco.

It's my # 2 tobacco, and I rate it 4 stars!

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Yes: I think there is a casing here and for me with prnounced citrus flavours; perique is detectable and makes repeated entrances through the smoke.

I found moisture content a little on the high side, but it rubs out easily and after the charing light, it retains its burn reasonably well.

I agree that this has the hallmarks of Escudo, not too sure about the smoking similarities with Dunhill Navy Rolls although, the cut is an equivelent. I can't help but think there are stronger influences, both smoking and cut, to W.O. Larsen Curly Cut - now blended by Orlik.

A good offering from Orlik: a good smoke and one that I will return to occasionally.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (18)

Does not get much better than this! The taste is just perfect. I thought I was getting bitten but that is the spice of the perique which is beautifully balanced into the mix. I've just finished a bowl and already I want another hit!

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant

Superb ! The different tobaccos in this are balanced sublimely . The Virginia is prominent but the Cavendish and Perique give a lovely subtle spicy and sweet touch in the background . Even if I draw really hard it is very lenient with tongue bite . I get a very slight and pleasing dried fruit note with this one . It burns very evenly and the smoke is not at all hot , I just have to remove the top layer of ash half way through as it tends to impede upon the smoking ease . If you distribute the Cavendish center evenly it is prodigious in taste and I can only say this is beautiful !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

One of the greats and super beautiful natural tobacco Really lovely, really pleasant smell... I LOVE IT

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)

This is the only tobacco I've encountered on 'T.B.' which has achieved an average rating of the maximum four stars. I'm not about to try to change that, though I must say that it didn't immediately strike me as anything special: it's subtler than that. I'm surprised at some reviews which refer to sweetness: it tastes bone dry to me, which is probably why it didn't immediately grab me: as with wines, sweet or medium-sweet ones have an immediate appeal, while dry ones take a bit more getting used to. This is a Chablis of tobaccos. The peppery perique spiciness is backed by just the right degree of dry, slightly yeasty body. Excellent, and worth getting to know (which I don't, yet: this is my first-ever bowlful: maybe I'll revise my review after a few more).

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

An astonishingly good sweet/spicy VaPer. The Cavendish adds a cool element and I think it aids in the burn as well. I like this even better than Escudo, and for me that's saying a lot. Four definite stars.

10/30/2011

Another blend I could so far not obtain locally and had bought while on holiday.

In the tin, this blend has a heavenly scent, almost like swiss chocolate; less bready than Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls (which is also made by Orlik, probably using the same spinning machine) and somewhat darker. The presentation is very much like DDNR, with the coins darker, the outer part mottled bright and dark with a few stem leftovers in there and the interior, BC part being fully black (of course). The tobacco is smokable straight out of the tin; I crumble one or two coins into an appropriately-sized bowl and light up.

The taste is sweet and has more of the bread-ish BC note in it than the tin aroma. The room note is sweet and spicy, again with a bit of chocolate in there. It burns evenly, leaving a light grey ash. Burns cool, needs little maintenance -- no particular outstanding feature though; hence three (and a half) solid stars.

Vathek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vathek (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

An exceptionally good smoke. Delightful tobacco taste to the bottom of the pipe, and burns steadily and well. I can't see how anyone could dislike this one.

erthbound0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erthbound0 (8)

Absolutely phenomenal smoke! Subtle yet strong, loud yet seductive, this smoke causes a mellow feeling to pass over your body. The cavendish needs to be broken up well. Rub out and ready to go. Smokes easy and tastes delicious all the way down. My current favorite tobacco. Deserves all 4 stars.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Fantastic stuff. For me, a real demonstration of master blending, I could quite happily smoke this and nothing else if it came to it. Whenever I buy it, I have to get several tins just in case I should ever run out. Really fantastic and seems to have got everything just spot on. A real Bull's Eye!

IanTimothy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IanTimothy (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I fully rubbed out this delightful tobacco..Tightly packed in my Falcon it gives a long smoke to savour..lightly packed in the same pipe...a short 10 minute mid afternoon break..what a versatile tobacco..its my every day tobacco..i will always have a few tins in store..perfect and the replacement for "DNR"

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I could not wait to get my tin as I had heard Orlik was really going to try to appeal to the Escudo crowd since that blend seems to have taken to being yo-yo'd around to different blending houses.

Although certainly different in many ways than Escudo, it is likewise similar in the cut of the disc, the wafting in and out of Perique and the quality of the Virginia leaf. I do believe there is a hint of casing in this version. Whatever, it was tasty.

Best, Pipestud

ian0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ian0077 (7)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Orlik Bull's Eye is just perfect. I used to smoke Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, but as you may be aware, this is not available anymore. This is an excellent replacement. I know that if you liked DLNR you will not be dissapointed with this.